What to expect from Gwent Homecoming balancing?

+
What to expect from Gwent Homecoming balancing?

Should we expect that nearly every card in the game is going to be reworked or changed significantly? I would imagine that scorch will remain the same. Its probably the only card in the game that has been here since the beginning and never received a change. So what are you all expecting? Do you think a good portion of the cards will have the same effects with maybe tweaked values? Or will this actually be an entirely new game where you relearn every card from scratch?

I do not expect too much from Homecoming, because CDPR every time does not keep their promises. I also recommend you not wait too much - to not be upset when they release their new midwinter patch.

CDPR promised: no RNG in Gwent, release every month 20 new cards, Tronebreaker early 2018, no big patches after midwinter fail, solution of coin problem, solution of carryover problem, mulligan bug fixed etc...Also they told that beta testers can test their game, but we cant test Homecoming project for half year, we just testing outdated game mechanics that will be wiped soon.

So why expect they will do something different this time? Best case scenario it will be second Midwinter fiesta.

I imagine 90% of the game card pool reworked.

If they indeed remove a row, than you can expect 90% of the game mechanics also reworked.

We don't know yet but I'm skeptical about it.
Thing is if it will change a lot it will probably run in the same problems/difficulties as in this meta.
Or even worse because we can't test it or testing will be very limited until release (6 months ain't much).
Most players will find new ways to abuse mechanics to gain a advantage again.
Testing & patching is the best way to develop this game so hopefully CDPR will change their mind.
When they run in to similar problems again the game might die.

I would love for every card to be reworked because that way the game will feel fresh for everybody but I doubt that will happen. If I'm being honest I like the actual abilities of almost every card in the game. I just feel like some cards are way too strong while others are too weak.

I'm more interested in what they will do with the rows and what mechanics they'll introduce into the game. Hopefully they bring back some ideas from older versions of Gwent that were scrapped.

Dont expect much. That why you dont get your hopes up and end up disappointed when it doesnt happen.

Im personally expecting very, very little from Homecoming - Both for the above reason and that the same people that thought MidWinter was a good idea are still running the show.

DRK3

Forum veteran
If the changes are well thought, i would say only 1/3 of every existing card (plus the new ones) would be enough to make Gwent feel like a totally different, fresh game.

But i assume a lot of iconic specials will remain the same, like scorch, decoy, lacerate, summoning circle,...

Zjiin;n10918088 said:
Both for the above reason and that the same people that thought MidWinter was a good idea are still running the show.

I heard they changed the lead developer and that, by itself, already explains why there will be a homecoming on the first place.

Guest 4021160

Zjiin;n10918088 said:
Im personally expecting very, very little from Homecoming - Both for the above reason and that the same people that thought MidWinter was a good idea are still running the show.

Indeed. I'm hopeful 6 months of draught will thin these ranks.

I'm expecting everything has to be reworked now that they have decided to reduce the rows to 2 instead of 3. I can't believe it they are going through with it. Also I want changes but took me a year to memorize every card I don't have time to learn a whole new game. Make the rows preferred, add a bonus if played on the right row, make the game adult. All my hype for home coming is now gone as I don't see anything homecoming about 2 rows

Just something to remember, something Swim mentioned as well, that changes in the Midwinter update were done because of existing cards not working well with Arena mode. Maybe too much synergy, or some times too little. But of course you don't change the core game just because of the Arena mode, at least not so drastically. Instead they should have made some changes, and a more tailored Arena mode. But yeah, the game mechanics to start with were not sufficient, a bigger more fundamental change was needed, regardless of Arena mode plans, etc.
But of course I will never agree with 2-2 rows decision, unless it's beyond genius, which is almost mathematically impossible. You can imagine how it will be, cards having different abilities in the 2 rows. There is not much else they can do within this limit, maintaining game's integrity. Some aspects will become better, but it's just a completely different game at that point.

Last edited:

Guest 4021160

Sometimes too much and sometimes too little is not an argument.

Lowering expectations works for most things in life.

But I am hoping for a fun single player game. They don't have to worry about balance versus humans there and they got Witcher Gwent perfect, so hoping they don't screw up there.

Honestly speaking, I don't believe that Gwent will be a huge improvement after Homecoming patch. After all of their disappointing updates & delays, my trust for Gwent has drained. Here are my guesses:

1. There will be an announcement that they need more time to polish the game.

2. Repetitive events will happen until Homecoming: weekends with special offers, faction challenges, new season, gwent open, gwent challenger, bla bla.

3. Yet another beta period will be announced.

4. Gwent will come home, but a new one.

If rows will be removed, gwent will lose identity and what it makes this game special than other games like Elder scroll and HearthStone. Removing lock row was first big mistake. Gwent in my opinion will became a banal card game like all others. I know an easy card game will get more people playing and more money, but this is for short period and will drive you in the pool of banal card game for kids who will be able to just smash point on board.

ppuapu;n10920479 said:
If rows will be removed, gwent will lose identity and what it makes this game special than other games like Elder scroll and HearthStone. Removing lock row was first big mistake. Gwent in my opinion will became a banal card game like all others. I know an easy card game will get more people playing and more money, but this is for short period and will drive you in the pool of banal card game for kids who will be able to just smash point on board.

They want to release Gwent for mobile platform later, 6 rows are too many for the mobile screen.

rows allready lost meaning because of braindead agility. and this game require weekly balance hotfixes or after Homecoming Swim will find fast the broken cards and all netdeckers will play the same deck another 6 months.

according to Twitter of Burza
the next adjustment seems to plan May 22nd
after a tournament

the adjustment only as for wardancer and carry over, create spawn cards
there are not shield, spotter, and sabbath
there is no adjustment soon for half a year

all good for everyone
you can enjoy the brain dead broken game soon for half a year !!
:sleepy:

Last edited:
Top Bottom