What to expect from Gwent Homecoming balancing?

+
It is a real disappointment to see Gwent fall into the depths of 'boredom'. The same decks are being used in rank and now casual. How this has evolved should be a case study for game developer classes everywhere. It would be interesting to see posted the number of active players, and average time spent playing, on a trending report. That would perhaps enlighten both the management and teams responsible for getting the beta out into the real world of game playing. As it is now, my time spent has dwindled to mediocrity since IMO the game has devolved into such a travesty of what it was, and potentially meant to be, And it had such a huge potential. Sigh.

they wont change the current action of every card, but they will give rows a sense again, so changes will include that every card will be row specific again

highhand;n10920833 said:
It is a real disappointment to see Gwent fall into the depths of 'boredom'. The same decks are being used in rank and now casual. How this has evolved should be a case study for game developer classes everywhere. It would be interesting to see posted the number of active players, and average time spent playing, on a trending report. That would perhaps enlighten both the management and teams responsible for getting the beta out into the real world of game playing. As it is now, my time spent has dwindled to mediocrity since IMO the game has devolved into such a travesty of what it was, and potentially meant to be, And it had such a huge potential. Sigh.

Id wager the current number of active players is dropping rapidly. Ive not touched rank apart from 1 briefly session to finish dailies at all this season and i've dropped maybe 5000 places in about a week. And im still sub-2k mmr this season. Says alot. The real question would be how many are going to come back once homecoming actually hits? Cause frankly for a lot of players that the fantastic Challengers have introduced to the game, Many received APPAULING first impressions of the game in this horrible state its in and are unlikely to return. First impressions really do matter and Gwent for the last few months has been giving horrible, horrible first impressions.

Last edited:
Zjiin;n10922348 said:
Id wager the current number of active players is dropping rapidly. Ive not touched rank apart from 1 briefly session to finish dailies at all this season and i've dropped maybe 5000 places in about a week. And im still sub-2k mmr this season. Says alot. The real question would be how many are going to come back once homecoming actually hits? Cause frankly for a lot of players that the fantastic Challengers have introduced to the game, Many received APPAULING first impressions of the game in this horrible state its in and are unlikely to return. First impressions really do matter and Gwent for the last few months has been giving horrible, horrible first impressions.

I used to play almost religiously. Getting to R19-R20 pretty much every Season (couple times, I thought I might go even go higher, but my time isn't unlimited!) but since the Midwinter debacle, I don't even play one game a day anymore.

On the understanding that they get rid of "Create" in Ranked mode, I'll be more than happy to return. I mean at this point, to keep it in would just be an exercise in massive denial. It's clear that the mechanic on the whole is a massive detriment to the game and in fact is directly contrary to what the core fan base wants from the game, i.e. for skill to be the deciding factor in how well you can consistently do.

Like I said, if they fail to go far enough on the backtrack away from this godawful, garbage mechanic and the trend of point spamming decks coming out on top then myself, and likely many others, will see no reason to return. Not when MTG Arena and Artefact are round the corner (MTG in particular looks to be very low on RNG bullshit) and could potentially offer a lot of us what GWENT used to offer, a skill based CCG that is as free from RNG bollocks as much as the medium allows.

Last edited:
I've spent more time playing this game than any game in the 30 plus years I been gaming. I'm currently finding it hard to even my first 100 ore any more. I think I played 3 matches in last 3 days and had a tough time doing it. There has been some variety in the lower ranks which has been fun. Ever since I heard we are going 2 rows my feeling for the game has left. I just don't have time to relearn every card again and play something that isn't Gwent. Last card game I played was magic the gathering when it was first released in 1993. Gwent was fresh and special and can be so much more, I really hope I am proved wrong and they can make a great adult Gwent with 2 rows that is not witcherstone 2.0.

Funky69;n10921175 said:
they wont change the current action of every card, but they will give rows a sense again, so changes will include that every card will be row specific again

How can this be with only two rows? They won't mean anything and every card will have to be re worked. I'm not being trying to be rude I just don't see what sense a preferred row system makes when we have 2 rows. If they mean removing a row is actually the opponents hand then ill be thrilled, cdpr are not the best communicators and I think they need to get on this quick, I notice the forums have been less lively too and people are most likely losing interest.

Mancoon1980;n10923041 said:
I've spent more time playing this game than any game in the 30 plus years I been gaming. I'm currently finding it hard to even my first 100 ore any more. I think I played 3 matches in last 3 days and had a tough time doing it. There has been some variety in the lower ranks which has been fun. Ever since I heard we are going 2 rows my feeling for the game has left. I just don't have time to relearn every card again and play something that isn't Gwent. Last card game I played was magic the gathering when it was first released in 1993. Gwent was fresh and special and can be so much more, I really hope I am proved wrong and they can make a great adult Gwent with 2 rows that is not witcherstone 2.0.

Sorry, but has it been confirmed somewhere that they are going to 2 rows?

At this point I was under the impression that it was just something they were considering, given the massive backlash against such an idea here on the forums I kinda figured they wouldn't do it unless they were 100% stupid.

CallMeHoot;n10923125 said:

At this point I was under the impression that it was just something they were considering, given the massive backlash against such an idea here on the forums I kinda figured they wouldn't do it unless they were 100% stupid.

Unfortunately so, can't believe that's what home coming is now.

Yeah, looks like they insist on trashing their own game.
Not even bothering to get my daily 100 ore anymore.
The game has become very boring and repetitive.
Homecoming looks already like a failure and step in the wrong direction.
The whole 2 row thing seems to be to make the game also avaiable for mobile gaming.
And when they start to make deciscions based on that it is ussualy a bad sign for the game.

With games like this you need to balance often and add new content on a regular basis to keep the game fresh.
Most people will always pick the powerfull netdecks. If those decks are going to be the same decks for 6 months....

f it, not even gonna bother to finish this post...

bye Gwent, see you in 5-6 months

maybe

Muffliato;n10923134 said:
Burza confirmed they're working with two rows, here. Long discussion on the subject started here.

Many thanks.

Mods on this forum set the standard.

I swear if every other company had the community presence of CDPR it would be paradise.

CallMeHoot;n10923125 said:

At this point they have said that they are testing it and they sound to be serious about it. But no it hasn't been confirmed that this is definitely going to be in the final product. They change their mind pretty frequently.

Guest 4021160

StrykerxS77x;n10923893 said:
At this point they have said that they are testing it and they sound to be serious about it. But no it hasn't been confirmed that this is definitely going to be in the final product. They change their mind pretty frequently.

In my opinion everything bad in gwent happened due to freaquent lead developer changes. At least 2 lead developers took over as far as I know and took it upon himself to change gwent to something they think will improve the numbers rather than analyzing previous blueprints and make only slight changes to problematic instances of gwent. The lead developer for gwent homecoming is a new one as well. My advice: Find Damien Monnier, he was the lead developer following classic gwent path the most. Talk to him. Tell him "Daddy, you were right and I was wrong".

This doom and gloom is unbearable.

I'm optimistic for the official release and for me 2 rows or 3 rows doesn't change anything. It's not 3 rows that define gwent's identity.

What really define it is the witcher's atmosphere, the complexity and skill-intensive gameplay opposed to casual rng fiesta that many other games of the genre brings (HS and TESL being the two worst offenders).

Those are exactly the specific concerns they promised to fix, and i'm willing to believe them. The nerf of create later this month is the first step in the right direction. The rest will come in a few months.

Give them the time to work, there will plenty of times to give actual feedback, and not gut's feelings, when open ptr will hit ahead of time and we'll all be able to test their work.

Karolis.petrikas;n10923911 said:
In my opinion everything bad in gwent happened due to freaquent lead developer changes. At least 2 lead developers took over as far as I know and took it upon himself to change gwent to something they think will improve the numbers rather than analyzing previous blueprints and make only slight changes to problematic instances of gwent. The lead developer for gwent homecoming is a new one as well. My advice: Find Damien Monnier, he was the lead developer following classic gwent path the most. Talk to him. Tell him "Daddy, you were right and I was wrong".

I remember when this guy left back on CB, i think he went to another company, rockstar. Anyways, back than i saw that as a huge letdown because it would mean other people on charge and those other people could screw the game or point it on another direction. On game industry, change on lead development frequently dont result on good things. Almost nobody seemed to share my concerns back than. Boy, i wish i was wrong.

hooomecoming.png.jpg

StrykerxS77x;n10917380 said:
Should we expect that nearly every card in the game is going to be reworked or changed significantly? I would imagine that scorch will remain the same. Its probably the only card in the game that has been here since the beginning and never received a change. So what are you all expecting? Do you think a good portion of the cards will have the same effects with maybe tweaked values? Or will this actually be an entirely new game where you relearn every card from scratch?

Expect a major overhaul of gameplay mechanics, this means core mechanics as well card abilities. Details will follow soon :)

I am certainly not expecting any details soon. Maybe in 3-4 months we will have some kind of decent picture of what we will be getting.

Top Bottom