What type of game should it be?

+
What if they hired some famous movie director, like Quentin Tarantino for example. Use Celebrities and famous movie directors could work as driving force for whole company in fact, at least put them apart from other companies, as far I know GoG doesnt do well. Tarantino + couple hit celebrity chick to shake their butt, sounds like win to me.
Pretty sure GoG is fine.

What I want?
A new Dark Fantasy Medieval Rpg IP ( With Character-Editor, Backstories, Attributes, Perkst, Social Skills, more Dialog Options, Stealth, different Weapons - Shield, One-hand Sword, Axe, Dagger, Longsword, Battle Axe, Spears, Bows etc. )
Yes! Exactly this.

Pretty sure GoG is fine.

Well Im not, store competition is gonna get tougher, Epic Store, BGS has own laucher, it usually tend to lead to own store etc. Now its not bad time to start branding your own store. Hell, even some YouTubers in the future might open own store, that is if Stadia start to work with them, Stadia is said to give them better tools, but how far they are willing to take it, nobody knows.

Well Im not, store competition is gonna get tougher, Epic Store, BGS has own laucher, it usually tend to lead to own store etc. Now its not bad time to start branding your own store. Hell, even some YouTubers in the future might open own store, that is if Stadia start to work with them, Stadia is said to give them better tools, but how far they are willing to take it, nobody knows.

I'll just drop this stuff below, but I won't say anymore in this thread because I don't want to derail it too much. I take responsibility for distracting you from the topic, so sorry. :p

Store competition is already tough and has been for years. GoG has not sunk yet, and it won't sink anytime soon, because it offers two things no other stores do: DRM-free games, and old games optimized for modern systems. Even if I wasn't a fan of CDPR, it's not too hard to understand that some portion of gamers will always prefer to get their games DRM-free, and some portion of gamers will always want to try older titles.

And GoG is also becoming a great place to get more modern games, as well, thanks to their partnerships with the likes of Bethesda, Larian, and others.

It doesn't matter if you have 10000000 game stores. Not all of them can be good. Yes, we have a lot of stores on our machines, but that doesn't mean we use them for anything more than one, maybe two games each. That's not the mark of a successful store, if you ask me.

Back to the point of the thread, and no longer directed at you...

I'm curious if we're discussing CDPR's unnamed AAA RPG here, or just miscellaneous project ideas. If it's the latter, to add on to what I said before, I'd love it if we essentially got a medieval RPG with:
  • Stat-based combat; to some degree, anyway. (Tougher with melee, I'll admit).
  • Attributes, skills, perks, like Cyberpunk 2077 will have.
  • Dark fantasy setting, like the Witcher 3, but ideally not The Witcher 4 (I'd really like to create my own character and have a freeform approach to missions - not just play as a Witcher again). It can be the same universe, but not the same name or gameplay style.
  • Character creation. Let me use magic, dialogue, stealth, combat, or a combination of the above to progress. So much potential here. If you really want to go nuts, let me pick from three races: Human, Dwarf, Elf. Probably not practical, but boy that'd be fun.
  • Let us pick a background, like Cyberpunk 2077. Did you start as a humble farmer whose village was raided by bandits? Are you a blacksmith's son? A merchant? A notorious thief? What about a squire, working your way up to knighthood? These could each have somewhat-unique starting scenarios, as well as impact on future story stuff, but ultimately of course the player will need to be funneled down a path that makes sense.
  • Believable medieval cities in terms of size. Maybe one major capital that's some fraction of the size of Night City (Novigrad felt big enough, but with future game tech, let's push the envelope and add more content and reactivity), 3 smaller cities dotted around the map, plus villages and towns and the like.
  • Slight sandbox elements: let me actually kill villagers and break into houses (where there are consequences for stealing), but this should not be Bethesda-level stuff because that'd be way too demanding, I imagine.

Anybody heard of Darklands? It's party-based RPG set in Germany in the Middle Ages, and the world is as what its inhabitants believed in at that time. This means there are dragons, trolls, kobolds, witches and covens, demons, Knights Templars. While the game's objective is to prevent the Apocalypse, it's pretty much an open world and the gameplay non-linear. It's been one of my favourite RPGs of all time, and I wish someone would do a remake with modern day graphics and computerised bookkeeping.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darklands_(video_game)
Post automatically merged:

Pineapple Pizza is awesome :D
Blasphemy!!

Last edited:
I'll just drop this stuff below, but I won't say anymore in this thread because I don't want to derail it too much. I take responsibility for distracting you from the topic, so sorry. :p

Store competition is already tough and has been for years. GoG has not sunk yet, and it won't sink anytime soon, because it offers two things no other stores do: DRM-free games, and old games optimized for modern systems. Even if I wasn't a fan of CDPR, it's not too hard to understand that some portion of gamers will always prefer to get their games DRM-free, and some portion of gamers will always want to try older titles.

And GoG is also becoming a great place to get more modern games, as well, thanks to their partnerships with the likes of Bethesda, Larian, and others.

It doesn't matter if you have 10000000 game stores. Not all of them can be good. Yes, we have a lot of stores on our machines, but that doesn't mean we use them for anything more than one, maybe two games each. That's not the mark of a successful store, if you ask me.

I think we are still on topic, we are discussing about CDPR's game, why cant their next game to be something what helps them brand GoG too? So far CDPR has kept GoG and their games separated. It would be quite foolish not to think what Stadia can cause to game indsutry when thinking about your next game, imho.

I know this is an obvious request but any thing that leverages CDPR's RPG experience set in the World of Darkness. Since Vampire is off the table, my next want would be their take on WRAITH.

Hey,
what I would like to see personally although it has not big potential:

- Stargate Universe - dark survival setting, roleplay, inventory, FPP+TPP+strategy view from the top(ala starcraft?), exploring Destiny and universe, aliens, space battles, FTL, ship's systems, integrated assets from the series(like music, cutscenes,...)

Alice in the Wonderland / Little Prince/???
- something different, questions and mostly/make your own/no answers, interesting gameplay and situations, roleplaying?, "path itself is more important than its end" - or whatever is the correct translation,...?
Something in the mood of the 4D game - Miegakure.

, what could be interesting by its background lore:
Avatar - yes, the blue guys with head tails from the movie. I guess it has a strong background story, detailed lore which can be expanded further, there can be multiple locations like the human station in space and their base on the planet, destroyed landscape, nature,... It could have some aspects of hippie, drama, states of mind, energy, living in the world, peace, freedom,...
Maybe in somewhat same mood like Lara Croft games.

, yet another AAA (medieval?) RPG (by YET I mean that it should be something completely new and interesting enough to differ from witcher, cyberpunk and other games/movies,.. )
- here I guess that strong background material is needed for players to hype themselves(like books in case of CP), or something completely new, but with enough personality to be well understood.
Something in a mood of AC 1-(insert the latest sequel number you liked), Gothic, Skyrim, Witcher 2/3, Heroes of might and magic 3, Warcraft 3,...

Edit - while I am at it:
Actually, it could be super nice to do some historical reconstruction - like king Arthur and the knights of the round table.
The game could be "altered" to include magic, but the characters and background are rich nevertheless.

Hope to didn't spam you much,
Peace :)

Last edited:
As I said in another thread, I would like CDPR to get the rights on Howard's Conan property from Funcom and make a grand RPG game in Hyperboria. The whole world to explore! I would say goodbye to social life for good.

I think the WestWorld IP would be a great one for CDPR to take over. Wild west meets science fiction / open world deisgn rife with narrative possibilities. Would be perfect for them IMHO. The IP is practically built for a cRPG, since the in park part of it literally is a giant RPG.

Would also suggest Mage: the Ascension, but Paradox already owns the rights to that I believe.

Since this is going to be first person single player RPG, then I go with open world action RPG, in the vein of AC:Odyssey. Customizable character is really important since I have the games that have had only one unchangable protagonist.

Tough one. I think with their experience and obvious skills, they should consider a psychological horror first-person.

I wouldn't mind being traumatised for life after playing a short horror story made by them. A generic example would be living a normal, apple-pie life as your average Joe/Jane. You're awakened in the middle of the night by an out-of-place sound in your apartment, after waiting what feels like hours, your sneak around to investigate only to be knocked out and kidnapped. Choices you make in scenarios with your kidnapper influence whether you're let go, sold into slavery, killed, kept in a hole, breakaway etc. I think if they put their minds to it, they can revolutionise the horror genre, which isn't too hard if you look at the current products like Deadspace, Slenderman, 5 Nights at Freddies.

Dunno, could be something.

Anybody heard of Darklands?

This was one of the coolest, most amazingly deep, exciting, and addictive games I ever played. It was truly visionary, and the (mostly) realistic setting was really engrossing. I especially loved how they handled things like witchcraft and alchemy as real-life "powers", but it was still as imagined as it was real. They also had their fun (giant spiders :p).

But I also remember the bugs. I'm not kidding that at release, this game was buggier than any Bethesda game ever released. I shelved it for years...then ended up buying the CD-ROM version when it came out...shelved that for years as it was still borderline impossible to play to the end. I don't think I ever got around to playing all the way through it until 2005-ish.

It's probably going to be some kind of multiplayer experiment so... meh.

But anyway...

I'd like to see experimentation on gameplay design. Breaking some conventional molds like "Well, it looks like a shooter/H&S so it kinda has to play like one". Exploring what other ways there are to play an RPG than an action game with some stats and a branching story, how could that work? Are singular or semi-singular (i.e. FPP and over the shoulder) perspectives really the only ways? could a game like that work if it had - for example - top down (not isometric, but top down) and first person perspectives? How could that be made fun to play? Does combat need to play in a normal simplistic action fashion? Can - for example - TB (or PB) and RT really not be intertwined -- even if they used same rules behind the screen, how could those rules be made fun to play both ways? What sorts of interactions could a game like that possess? What's rarely seen these days? What's so common it's almost everywhere? What could lesser interactions add to the game? Do PnP compatible (semi-, at least) character systems and world interactions really not work in a triple-A game? Why not? How could they be made fun, how could more mundane skills be made fun to play, how could skillchecks be incorporated in a way that's exciting even if they might fail at times? And so on... Lots of questions and considerations.

I mean, if it's just yet another action-boom-boom-RPG about twitching and rolling with few gated skillchecks here and there and over the top high-drama cinematic story... I don't see much point personally. Those are coming from everywhere all the time, even if they weren't advertised as RPG's.

Breaking some new grounds might be riskier, but current AAA trends have long since stagnated. Trying something out of the box might well strike surprise gold in that market. I mean... There are some general guidelines that are universally appreciated and expected (i.e. seamless open world, reactive storytelling and questdesign, branching dialog, looking lively...), but the details that run within those guidelines (gameplay, perspectives, interaction, reaction, gameplay, gameplay, gameplay)... Are they really set in stone by trends and fads for good? Or could there be something to fiddle with that makes a difference?

Last edited:
...they've done action-RPG, made it open world, they went on the card game territory with success, so far so good.

what I don't see them doing any time soon: driving simulation, fighting game like SFV, soulcalibur, flying simulation.

what I see them doing in the near future: a strategy game. units. tactics. planning.

what I wish they could consider doing: a mystery survival TPS/FPS.
I have a dearest wish in mind: a game that would be inspired by manga author tsutomu nihei's universe, specifically the "noise" / "blame!" / "biomega" trilogy, this is a dark sci-fi universe, with gigantism at the core of its visual concept. I've seen some people trying in their free time to do such a game, sometimes with randomly generated environnements, sometimes with a nemesis system, but nothing that came out of its chrysalis yet.

one of these tries, sadly discontinued... http://bac9.tumblr.com/

and the most promising "clone" would be "memory of a broken dimension", I encourage you all to look it up.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/544300/Memory_of_a_Broken_Dimension/

anyway; tsutomu nihei's work. CDPR, feel free to dig into this, this is worth a shot, believe me.
bc7ae541a8f753a7ed50182fd8556f17.jpg
76ee9b5833793cda920b57d2d9bc17cb.jpg
be69746eee8df5ca4790324d746ac7ae.jpg

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I got another idea for them. They take on Warhammer 40k universe and make the biggest sci-fi RPG ever made! LIke you play a rogue trader or something.

Top Bottom