what went wrong? analysis

+
I don't think the backlash would be so hudge if console version would work as intended. I had luck to play on medicore PC (I feel sorry for all gamers that tried to play it on last gen). I spent 100 h within the game and loved the story, designs, characters, music, general vibe.
I'v been following the game since 2013, watched every trailer, official video, a lot of youtube videos about CP and never became too hyped by their marketing. They anounced that some features seen in 2018 demo were going to be removed but I didn't really care.
I'm aware that NPCs aren't very bright, driving physics is very bad, at some point game becomes unbalanced etc. but dispite of all that I enjoyed the final product and never have gone too emotional about so called cut content, endings being bad etc. Some people forgot about any good sides of CP and focused only on the bad ones, in the loop. I guess they expected too much.
I see future for the game but CDPR needs time to make it better. I'm certain that someone reads all the constructive posts in the forum and forwards realistic demands. They can extend many aspects. Only time will show if they do.

I'm aware that NPCs aren't very bright, driving physics is very bad, at some point game becomes unbalanced etc. but dispite of all that I enjoyed the final product and never have gone too emotional about so called cut content, endings being bad etc. Some people forgot about any good sides of CP and focused only on the bad ones, in the loop. I guess they expected too much.

This is a very valid point. There are two intricate things people complain about
- the broken state of old gen
- the "lack of features" in the game

If CDPR had released a proper old gen version, people wouldn't have tried to pinpoint everything wrong about the game. Those disappointed by it because it lacks features they wanted (like GTA fans) would have just walked away saying the game wasn't for them, just as people loving 3rd person games have walked away.

CDPR probably did expect some backlash around the old gen version, but where they got really caught off guard was on the backlash around the game itself.

They didn't expect people to be so angry they'd try to find every piece of broken content inside it to showcase and throw at them. They didn't expect people tearing down the game on its biggest features (RPG dimension and such).

That's why most of their communication is centered around fixing the bugs, and saying the game rated 10/10 in major websites prior to the old gen release. They're discarding those game-content related complains because they're mostly irrelevant to their eyes. To CDPR, it comes more from a will of "vengeance" from gamers having being deceived by a buggy release and trying to cast shadow over everything else the game does well as a consequence, rather than valid complains motivated by the fact the game is bad (and they also know there are influencers/so called journalists out there trying to get along the bandwagon to get some easy money out of it).

If you look long enough into it, you can see bad features in pretty much every game. Once you've over analyzed a thing, part of what makes the illusion believable goes away.

Last edited:
  • Unrealistic deadlines with overly ambitious goals
OP could have boiled it down to this one line: Something everyone on the planet knows by now. Same thing happened with No Man's Sky and they're STILL doing their best to make it a great game.

I just hope Devs don't give us a luke-warm dev period of half-arse'd bug fixes and a boring DLC or two and then move on. I hope CP gets the love it deserves.

Guest 3847602

CDPR probably did expect some backlash around the old gen version, but where they got really caught off guard was on the backlash around the game itself. They didn't expect people to be so angry they'd try to find every piece of broken content inside it to showcase and throw at them. That's why most of their communication is centered around fixing the bugs, and saying the game rated 10/10 in major websites prior to the old gen release. They're discarding those game-content related complains because they're mostly irrelevant to their eyes. To CDPR, it comes more from a will of "vengeance" from gamers having being deceived by a buggy release and trying to cast shadow over everything else the game does as a consequence, rather than valid complains motivated by the fact the game is bad.

If you look long enough into it, you can see bad features in pretty much every game. Once you've over analyzed a thing, part of what makes the illusion believable goes away.
They were probably caught off guard by the comments about Night City feeling dead and lifeless 5 years after receiving heaps of praise for Novigrad, despite the two cities being literally the same thing in terms of "immersion features" they provide and number of ways for players to interact with the populace.
But, to say that there were no signs of huge number of people expecting a totally different kind of game is simply not true.

Last edited by a moderator:
:facepalm::giveup::facepalm: of course this is only valid if you hold the subjective negative opinion that they game is a "failure" .

There is an objective fact (not an opinion) that older games like Kotor, Saint's Row and even GTA 3 did everything better if you exclude Graphics.
Riddle me that?

There is an objective fact (not an opinion) that older games like Kotor, Saint's Row and even GTA 3 did everything better if you exclude Graphics.
Riddle me that?
There is no such fact. I'm old enough that I played those games, like they were, without mods or stuff.

GTA 3 was technological breakthrough moving game from bird perspective to 3rd perspective. Saints Row grew to be parody of GTA since GTA really wasn't exactly that good re-inventing it self.

So it's just another, "but I want my GTA in cyberpunk universe" post. And what the heck has Kotor do with anything? It's a fairy tale in space.

They were probably caught off guard by the comments about Night City feeling dead and lifeless 5 years after receiving heaps of praise for Novigrad, despite the two cities being literally the same thing in terms of "immersion features" they provide and number of ways for players to interact with the populace.
But, to say that there were no signs of huge number of people expecting a totally different kind of game is simply not true.

Though I'm disappointed, now that you're comparing it to Novigrad : I haven't found Odrin in some of Night City's back alley still recovering from a hangover.

Riddle me that?

And fallout 2 was the last real RPG where you could do just about anything like strap a bomb to a kid and send him to grandpa. Or sell your wife to a sex shop. Or kill a companion because you didn't like them etc.

But the world won't let much of this ever happen again. Imagine being able to kill all the Asians in the game. Or being able to side with the Shivs and destroy the Aldacado's? I threw a grenade into a group of people and kids. The adults died but not a single kid took damage.

Society is too fucked and restrictive to allow this. I bet you could never have Zaalbar kill Mission today, especially since they would make Mission a lesbian or something.
Post automatically merged:

About 90% of what we saw in 2018 demo is in the game :facepalm:.

Yep agreed. But simple minds what you to believe that it was all a lie.

What gets me is we should be talking about some of the real issues. For example was it a good design to have Night City 3-6 layers deep? Or would it have been better to still have a flat surface with buildings? Or talk about how you become OP too fast. There are real issues in the game. Instead people complain that somehow CDPR lied because you can't make a tran character to their liking or that acid rain was removed (this was on the reddit post of cut content).

Last edited:
And fallout 2 was the last real RPG where you could do just about anything like strap a bomb to a kid and send him to grandpa. Or sell your wife to a sex shop. Or kill a companion because you didn't like them etc.

But the world won't let much of this every happen again. Imagine being able to kill all the Asians in the game. Or being able to side with the Shivs and destroy the Aldacado's? I threw a grenade into a group of people and kids. The adults died but not a single kid took damage.

Society is too fucked and restrictive to allow this. I bet you could never have Zaalbar kill Mission today, especially since they would make Mission a lesbian or something.

Yep agreed. But simple minds what you to believe that it was all a lie.
Oh yeah. I was talking with a friend about F2 today how many different possibilities were in the game. You could play as an idiot with very low intelligence who could hardly speak proper english or extremly lucky person who could encouter an UFO in the desert... There were so many ways to play.

If by 90% you mean the first mission, visuals, characters, some perks, shooting guns, then yes you are correct.
But there is a huge discrepancy between the sweet song the narrator was singing to us and what we got, so that puts the gameplay demo at like 10% of what was promised versus what was delivered.
They sell these things like shaving machines and there are cars and suits, they also sell stuff like cosmetics and there are handsome men and sunshine and.

Then people go and buy those and they get just shaving machine or cosmetic product. No cars, no suits, no other handsome people. Sunshine, well that depends of the weather.

They sell these things like shaving machines and there are cars and suits, they also sell stuff like cosmetics and there are handsome men and sunshine and.

Then people go and buy those and they get just shaving machine or cosmetic product. No cars, no suits, no other handsome people. Sunshine, well that depends of the weather.

Disagree. CDPR didn't have a commercial running about a smiling family and a daughter/father relationship.

As for the narrator, I never gave too much attention to what he said. To me, he was reading some pen and paper expose on Night City and what dangers lurk around the corner. He was just pitching the context of the game. I didn't really expect what he said to be actual in game features (like, being able to have a partner each and every night to come over at your home) but I took it mostly as some fluff exposure.
I guess though, they made the terrible mistake of opening that pandora box of interactivity and tried to cater to an entirely different audience (sandbox games fans). I get the disappointment coming from them. They got their hand slapped pretty hard for this, and this is a good thing IMO. One shouldn't try to cater to an audience they know they won't satisfy.

Last edited:
If by 90% you mean the first mission, visuals, characters, some perks, shooting guns, then yes you are correct.
But there is a huge discrepancy between the sweet song the narrator was singing to us and what we got, so that puts the gameplay demo at like 10% of what was promised versus what was delivered.
I don't want to get too deep into off topic but:

Disagree. CDPR didn't have a commercial running about a smiling family and a daughter/father relationship.

As for the narrator, I never gave too much attention to what he said. To me, he was reading some pen and paper expose on Night City and what dangers lurk around the corner. He was just pitching the context of the game. I didn't really expect what he said to be actual in game features (like, being able to have a partner each and every night to come over at your home) but I took it mostly as some fluff exposure.
I guess though, they made the terrible mistake of opening that pandora box of interactivity and tried to cater to an entirely different audience (sandbox games fans). I get the disappointment coming from them.
I actually didn't follow advertising. I vaguely remember trailer from years ago, not 2018 but older than that.

I have been trying to put expectations I read about to something that could pan out in realistic terms and it's very difficult to do that. And that's... that.

Don't feed me a bunch of bullshit. Be specific. What was not delivered that was in the demo? Come on it should be super easy as you claim only 10% was in the game. Every single time I challenged people like you I never hear back. The reason is simple you are full of it and can't support your wild claims. So list the 90% missing. Go ahead this is your chance to shine and prove to the world that you are not full of it.

Top Bottom