What went wrong? Jason Schreier about CP2077

+
Status
Not open for further replies.

"WHAT WENT WRONG? JASON SCHREIER ABOUT CP2077"

If you mean the state of the game, I would say Covid 19 is what made this game go wrong. Am 100% convinced if it wasn't for Covid, CP77 would have launched in a fully completed state, on the very first launch date.

Am 100% convinced if it wasn't for Covid, CP77 would have launched in a fully completed state, on the very first launch date.
Well, that is not what Schreier claims. ;)

He says:

One of the things I heard over the course of my reporting was that there was this kind of tension or really unclear idea of what this game was... whether it was supposed to be an RPG like Deus Ex, or was it supposed to be a giant simulation like GTA. And it seemed like they were trying to do both at once. But they also had a tiny fraction of the staff of Rockstar... So it's this game that is trying to do what CDPR is good at -- an RPG... also trying to tack on this entire open world with police, and cars, and all this other stuff, crime... and it just doesn't work. Almost like if you strip that part out of the game and you just turned this into a Deus Ex style RPG and spent a little more time polishing that part of it without worrying about all the GTA style stuff -- I think you would have had a way better experience...

He also says more interesting things about this (quote) "development saga" in this conversation... but I do not have the ability to transcribe it all.

Last edited:

If you mean the state of the game, I would say Covid 19 is what made this game go wrong. Am 100% convinced if it wasn't for Covid, CP77 would have launched in a fully completed state, on the very first launch date.
Why do you think this? Covid-19 changed nothing. It's clear they had problems finishing this game to the standard they wanted to quite a bit early on.. I mean delay after delay makes that very obvious...

Why do you think this? Covid-19 changed nothing. It's clear they had problems finishing this game to the standard they wanted to quite a bit early on.. I mean delay after delay makes that very obvious...
The first delay was announced before the first set release for April last year and Covid was already a world-wide problem since February.

The first delay was announced before the first set release for April last year and Covid was already a world-wide problem since February.
Can't imagine that not being able to use the console dev kit that isn't allowed to leave the office can have helped though?

I think this because what I saw with my own eyes, is that when Covid19 hit, a lot of projects fell behind, or even came to a complete dead-stop, because construction teams and dev teams were forced to disperse. Where your colleague used to sit right next to you, all of a sudden you had to communicate with him/her over great distances, because you had to work from home. That stalled a lot of work exponentially.

Having played this version of CP77, it just feels the team had to improvise at the last moment for the game to be at least playable on time for release. I also seem to remember how it was said that tests for PS4 were promising on the board, but ended up disastrous in reality as the game kept crashing for a lot of players, of which in the end Sony decided to take the game off their shop. all this signals to me that development of the game was drastically behind. I've seen similar issues at other projects in my country, and they all fell together with covid.

Post automatically merged:

Well, that is not what Schreier claims. ;)

He says:

He also says more about this (quote) "development saga" in this conversation...
If that claim is accurate, then that's one hell of an awesome game from a dev team that doesn't know what their own IP is, isn't it? A team that worked their butts off offering up this upcoming patch?

Last edited:
sounds like cdpr should have just delayed the game until at least 2022 as per the devs' suggestion because they knew it was not ready or release it as "Early Access" to mitigate the "damage" but unfortunately upper management was obviously too impatient and just wanted that sweet tasty chocolate loving Christmas and the release of the brand new PS5 and XB2 money. well i got news for them Christmas is not going anywhere (there's always next year and the year after that, etc.) and neither the brand new next gen consoles at least for now (it's going to be a LONG while before them two become obsolete and we get the brand new PS6 and XB3!). this game was obviously going to sell...like hot cakes Christmas sales/brand new next gen consoles or not. if they had just delayed the game until at least late 2022 i imagine we (the audience) would have been playing a game that would have been the same or near similar to that "fake" 2018 demo we saw way back when. boy would our mouths drool like crazy-go-nuts and our minds blown. wouldn't that been nice?

Lack of clear vision for the game is pretty apparent. It seems success of Witcher 3 defined the fate of CP77.

Definitely disagree with the Covid comments. This game has been getting announcements back in 2019 for release dates, while developers were commenting the game still needed a few more years at least from the 2020 release date. Developers were leaving and giving company reviews about poor management and lack of vision years ago.

This is purely on marketing, leadership and deceit.

From the moment they decided on the Silverhand/Relic storyline being the main focus, the game was broken. Covid didn't help, but the core of the game was broken long before Covid came along.

COVID happened in the beginning of 2020, these are just excuses.

The only reason CDPR screw up the release is because they rushed it.

This game needed at least an extra year, or two, of development.

I love this streamer Madqueen. She taught me all the lore of the cyberpunk universe before I played the game and helps paint the picture and understand the goings on (also interviewed developers/ ex-developers)
Post automatically merged:

I love this streamer Madqueen. She taught me all the lore of the cyberpunk universe before I played the game and helps paint the picture and understand the goings on (also interviewed developers/ ex-developers)
My bad. This is the one I wanted to post

Hadn't seen this new one

Last edited:
COVID happened in the beginning of 2020, these are just excuses.

The only reason CDPR screw up the release is because they rushed it.

This game needed at least an extra year, or two, of development.
If they rushed it, then that means there was a delay. One can think about as to how, when and why that delay occurred, and also why not extra time was considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom