What went wrong? Jason Schreier about CP2077

+
Status
Not open for further replies.

ya1

Forum regular
why is a Bloomberg reporter an expert on cdpr/cyberpunk? because he got hits with some halfazzed articles?

No, because he interviewed the staff. Some of them even let him use their names. Also, he is a journalist. If he publishes something that isn't true, he he can be sued for libel or slander. That did not happen. In fact, as far as I know CDPR have not published any official replies to Shreier's tweets and articles.

I would say Covid 19 is what made this game go wrong.

This was surely a factor. But many wholesome AAA games were published in 2020. Obviously, with how broken and unfinished CP77 turned out to be, it must have run deeper than Covid-19.

The state of the game aligns perfectly with what Shreier reported. It's not unreasonable to believe it even for the biggest media sceptics.

"WHAT WENT WRONG? JASON SCHREIER ABOUT CP2077"

If you mean the state of the game, I would say Covid 19 is what made this game go wrong. Am 100% convinced if it wasn't for Covid, CP77 would have launched in a fully completed state, on the very first launch date.
Well when you say, "the state of the game" are you simply referring to the bugs and broken systems? Because that is a very different issue from the fact the game was woefully lacking in features, content and scope that CDPR was telling us were in the game. And that is not because of Covid. Keanu Reeves wasn't even attached to the project until mid 2018 for a game that was due to launch 2 years later, and given we all know the large role he plays in the game it's clear Covid had nothing to do with them effectively having to dev then entire game in just over 2 years.

No, because he interviewed the staff. Some of them even let him use their names. Also, he is a journalist. If he publishes something that isn't true, he he can be sued for libel or slander. That did not happen. In fact, as far as I know CDPR have not published any official replies to Shreier's tweets and articles.

This was surely a factor. But many wholesome AAA games were published in 2020. Obviously, with how broken and unfinished CP77 turned out to be, it must have run deeper than Covid-19.

The state of the game aligns perfectly with what Shreier reported. It's not unreasonable to believe it even for the bpiggest media sceptics.

some of the things he said in the first article were deceptive or inaccurate. Suing for libel or slander is often not worth the money, and would require you to go on the record. Even aside from truth in journalism, there is also bias, or slant. If you think the media is always accurate except when sued, you haven't been paying attention for the last 250 years.

ya1

Forum regular
some of the things he said in the first article were deceptive or inaccurate.

1. Which things? 2. How exactly do you know that? Did YOU interview CDPR employees, too?
Post automatically merged:

Suing for libel or slander is often not worth the money, and would require you to go on the record.

Sure, yeah, but CDPR didn't not even address that article. And this is Bloomberg, not a youtuber with 50k subs. Big league. They should say something. But ofc what can they say? When you look at the game, it's painfully obvious that most of what Schreier said was true.

Maybe not official, but there were certainly reactions to his articles.

some of the things he said in the first article were deceptive or inaccurate. Suing for libel or slander is often not worth the money, and would require you to go on the record. Even aside from truth in journalism, there is also bias, or slant. If you think the media is always accurate except when sued, you haven't been paying attention for the last 250 years.
Shreier is a man of many things true but what does have is insider information so his report can't be entirely "ruled out". Imagine that you’re throwing a party. And maybe you’ve never seen the actual invitation, but you hear from the caterers that they have an event on a certain date. The flower guy is buying up all the roses in town. The best DJ band is booked. That’s what investigative journalism can give you. "Clues", bits and pieces. Not a definitive answer.

Last edited:
I can perfectly surmise some of the things in that article fall true, but that would be a reasoning that can be reached by any sane thinking person by looking at the game and everything surrounding it.
I do not need to be a journalist to make an educated guess about these things, and having a convo with some employees or whatever could be sufficient backup to the broadstroke claims.

I am perfectly happy to accept and believe his report is correct and so on. But it will definately not be because he's schreier, game journalist.
But because the facts and narrative line up to correspond toward the conclusion.

ya1

Forum regular
Maybe not official, but there were certainly reactions to his articles.

Oh yeah I remember that. I must have discarded it as more of the same old and quickly forgotten all about it. My bad.

There's even a thread about it. It was locked because people were furious at the audacity of "10/10 on PC" and "Our final game looks and plays better than the E3 demo." [...]

not liking journos. but anyone saying covid hurt them, maybe a bit and only NEXT GEN console release. if you look how game looks and works even without covid it still required two years at least.

look at this video, where they pretty much admit their engine is not ready for shooter games, they were trying too much, they were deceiving via marketing, and their engine team was not able to fulfill team goals. Of course most without background won't understand.

AAAND because how bad engine, combat, balance and bugfest are they basically cancelled cash cow CP2077 Online...figures figures.

Last edited:
1. Which things? 2. How exactly do you know that? Did YOU interview CDPR employees, too?
Post automatically merged:

Sure, yeah, but CDPR didn't not even address that article. And this is Bloomberg, not a youtuber with 50k subs. Big league. They should say something. But ofc what can they say? When you look at the game, it's painfully obvious that most of what Schreier said was true.

1) as a gaming journalist, he knew it was a vertical slice, the people the journalists they showed it to were told that it was not ingame. The demo tells you the game is in development. Notice I said deceptive or inaccurate. He takes a small amount of information(sourced) and draws big conclusions. In the video he also makes it clear that most of the things that happened are industry norms, but in the initial article, he makes it appear that cdpr is doing weird or uncommon development.

2) as linked, they did respond, but whats really in debate is the characterizations. Bloomberg is full of articles with bias, or slant, its possible that is specifically what they expect from his articles. Straight news is extremely uncommon these days.

He has his own personal perspective, its clear there is a lens through which he sees things, but nothing he researched or presented is more than what info was freely available, so people can draw their own conclusions.

Guest 3847602

It's always funny to see the "news" of work on Cyberpunk starting in 2016 as some big revelation, because it's been a known fact for years. It's also weird how quickly this message from CDPR had been forgotten by game journalists when it became more profitable to ride the hate train than to remind people of how the E3 demo was presented to them.
As for the Schreier, I trust him only with hard facts (names, dates, etc) and absolutely nothing else. [...]

Last edited by a moderator:
you think 6 - 10+ years would have been enough?

Designing a new engine is a colossal task.

Hundreds of devs working on the engine, THEN only you can start the design of your map/objects/characters, then you must implement the proper mechanics, do all the debugging, test the whole thing on several systems, optimize your product...

It takes time, and time is money. CP2077 development costed around 100-120 millions (without the marketing...): it's a lot of money, but compare it to Red Dead Redemption 2: 900 millions (yes you read it right: around a BILLION dollars)

Well when you say, "the state of the game" are you simply referring to the bugs and broken systems? Because that is a very different issue from the fact the game was woefully lacking in features, content and scope that CDPR was telling us were in the game. And that is not because of Covid. Keanu Reeves wasn't even attached to the project until mid 2018 for a game that was due to launch 2 years later, and given we all know the large role he plays in the game it's clear Covid had nothing to do with them effectively having to dev then entire game in just over 2 years.
I meant half of the game's content missing.

ya1

Forum regular
1) as a gaming journalist, he knew it was a vertical slice, the people the journalists they showed it to were told that it was not ingame. The demo tells you the game is in development. Notice I said deceptive or inaccurate. He takes a small amount of information(sourced) and draws big conclusions. In the video he also makes it clear that most of the things that happened are industry norms, but in the initial article, he makes it appear that cdpr is doing weird or uncommon development.

That's not libel. That's your personal interpretation of his tone. I didn't see it like "shame on CDPR for making a fake demo." The message was clear to me: "demo was fake, many devs do that, but CDPR did that less than 2 years before release, in a project that should require many times as much time and people. The fact they didn't have the game systems ready so late shows how badly the project was mismanaged. They prioritized marketing over development and completely disregarded expert opinions from their own employees."

2) as linked, they did respond,

Yes, they did. And they didn't do themselves any favors: "10/10 on PC" and "Game is better than the demo." This PR strategy is basically Goebels-happy-go-lucky - say the same thing a hundred times and hope it finds enough believers.

Bloomberg is full of articles with bias, or slant, its possible that is specifically what they expect from his articles. Straight news is extremely uncommon these days.

His article is not news reporting. It's investigative journalism with commentary. Different genre. Drawing own conclusions from the collected information and attaching opinions is a part of it.

It's easy to go around saying "media lies." A little harder to point out what exactly the "lies" are, which no-one in this thread ever did so far. [...]

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom