What will happen if numbers are doubled?

+
Lets assume CDPR decided to double the values on cards (ex. Dol Blothana Archer 6 points, deal 4 damage, but provision are same) THEN balance the numbers on some problematic cards accordingly. Do you think this will achive anything or cause any problems?

I didn't think much on possible outcomes, i was just thinking, Gwent is hard to balance numbers wise. For instance, there are a lot of times a card can be underpowered with 3 points, but would be overpowered if buffed to 4 points. Since you can't have 3,5 value on a card game, these can complicate balancing process.

Witcher trio example: Old Witchers had 3 points for 7 provs. Assuming reducing 1 point is insufficient, they could either reduce it by 1 more, or increase provs by 1 more.
But if they were 6 points for 7 provs (provision amount stays the same, no point changing this) in doubled up point system, they could be 5 points for 8 provs (2.5 points in current system), possibly making them logically balanced.

I'm just asking,
-did CDPR though about having higher numbers overall for similar reasons?
-will these complicate things? harder calculations etc
-will these open up many possiblities by having small numbers, less devastating value generations or damage values etc
-or simply unnecessary?

Lets assume CDPR decided to double the values on cards [...] THEN balance the numbers on some problematic cards accordingly. Do you think this will achive anything or cause any problems?

But why such a convoluted solution? If you want to fine-tune the balance even more, just double the provision costs of everything. Having said that, there already are enough ways to fine-tune card and CDPR is still struggling with it. As such, doubling whatever isn't going to be a manageable solution.

But why such a convoluted solution? If you want to fine-tune the balance even more, just double the provision costs of everything. Having said that, there already are enough ways to fine-tune card and CDPR is still struggling with it. As such, doubling whatever isn't going to be a manageable solution.

But im specifically talking about numeratic balance. Say, Wyvern, is used to be a 3 point +2 damage card which is pretty meh. They buffed it with Thrive, now it is a bit too much for its provision cost compared to other similar cards. Of course it is not gamebreaking or anything, just slightly overpowered. If they could nerf its base value to 2.5 points, it would make more sense. But, since they cant do that, maybe doubling values to enable that -middle values- would be better. Not necessarily though, im just thinking out loud, not actually suggesting it.

They buffed it with Thrive, now it is a bit too much for its provision cost compared to other similar cards.

But if you double everything and keep Thrive the same, then Thrive becomes too weak. No matter how you look at it, you cannot just simply double everything and rebalance from there. Regardless, like I've said, the discussion is kinda moot because there are enough tools readily available to properly balance cards, but it's already challenging enough for CDPR, in the current state.

The problem of Gwent being a game that is hard to balance will not be solved with simply doubling the strengths. I think the only possibility for the game to feel balanced is through frequent balancing patches to avoid a stiff meta. It should be patched like a Moba in my opinion.

This is actually a great idea, and is pretty much how Gwent used to be back in the days.

No provisions to force you to put weak cards in your deck, no systems purposefully designed to artificially randomize your hand...

I'm not saying it was the mother of all balances, but late open beta Gwent was at least MORE balanced than Homecoming. Yes, there were annoying netdecks (those will always exist, I'm sorry to say), but if your deck was half ok, you still had a crack at it.

The card values were bigger, the point swings generally bigger, and YET, somehow, I would often finish tied with my opponent or win/lose by a few points. 68 to 65, 143 to 135, 89 to 90...
So much more satisfying than 8 to 5, and I also noticed by the time I stopped playing HC that you could lose/win by MUCH larger margins. For me at least, ties were almost unheard of in HC.

Something is not right with this version of the game, but your ideas will fall on deaf ears unfortunately. The team is absolutely determined not to touch anything reminiscent of beta Gwent.

I don't think it's "double", but I do think it's "+2" on every cards STR, purely to ensure most cards have a chance of staying on the board for more than one turn. So Hawker becomes 6 then it'd take two whacks with removal bronze (such as Wyvern) so you at least get a couple of boost points out of it. The big cards stay big and only killable by Golds.

This ensures a more strategic play as you're not going to be able to just play card/remove card. I think it's the most simple adjustment CDPR could make and I just cannot see a downside.

Top Bottom