What would Fix the game for you?

+
Yeah, I get that. The thing is, you shouldn’t do cinematic(tm) dialog sequences if the character is silent.
Speaking of Bethesda since you mentioned Skyrim, Starfield - to my knowledge - will have a silent protagonist (whether that game has any… and I mean any other merits remains to be seen).
Yep agree, it's probably why it doesn't bother me in Skyrim.
But cinematics in Cyberpunk are damn awesome, that's the best part (and strong point) of the game, in my opinion :giggle:

As a mercenary, I would like the option to be able to affiliate myself and have some sort of relations with these organizations. That is sort of what the spirit of being a Mercenary is, by definition. You choose your employer, pick your ethics, and deal with consequences as they come.
In context of CP 2077, you describe a ronin, and then say that's a samurai.

To have some sort of relation with organization, what makes sense in Night City is that those are business relationships. That's what mercenary essentially is, being loyal to who pays the most related to a chance of survival to spend that money.

To have some sort of relation with organization, what makes sense in Night City is that those are business relationships. That's what mercenary essentially is, being loyal to who pays the most related to a chance of survival to spend that money.
I agree, and this is what I mean by "As a mercenary, I would like the option to be able to affiliate myself and have some sort of relations with these organizations". Just because it is a business relationship does not mean there can't be meaningful relations. The game right now doesn't let you do so, but that doesn't mean a dlc or a sequel shouldn't have it too. Look at all the cool characters in edgerunners anime, the dynamics of their relationship with each other whether it's mercenaries, netrunners, or business with fixers. What if I wanna be Kiwi?
In a setting like Night City, there is so many possibilities. I'm always an advocate for rpg games to give players as many optional choices as possible

I agree, and this is what I mean by "As a mercenary, I would like the option to be able to affiliate myself and have some sort of relations with these organizations". Just because it is a business relationship does not mean there can't be meaningful relations. The game right now doesn't let you do so, but that doesn't mean a dlc or a sequel shouldn't have it too.
I see very little options there that would make sense.

The Militech? Same Militech which internal power games V gets very good glimpse early in game? I don't know if Meredith Stout lived in your games but if she did and you did Fenus in Furs but if you did, even sexual relatioships with corpos are binary games. Same Militech which soldiers V sees awful amount of death delivered to citizens.

The Arasaka then? Well, then that's pretty much the same deal and highlights how out of options citizens of Night City are. Choose corporate boot of Arasaka or Militech on their neck, it's just brand a or b of corporate fascism.

Biotechnica, we get some glimpse how things work internally in that corp too.

Gangs. They have pretty good business going with their protection business, ghetto pharmacies, doing some favors for corps sometimes. They benefit from the chaos and misery that causes.

It's about power and money in one way or another. So which cause there's to join there but that? and so your V might want some kind of normal relationship with them, but that takes two and why they would want normal relationship with V?

There's one faction though, the Aldecaldos and second, potentially, the Night Corp.

Look at all the cool characters in edgerunners anime, the dynamics of their relationship with each other whether it's mercenaries, netrunners, or business with fixers. What if I wanna be Kiwi?
Kiwi just is another edgerunner / mercenary in Night City, a netrunner with some other talents in a crew.

What comes to fixers, Rogue does a favor for V with hooking V up with Panam. She's also only fixer in Night City to have some moral integrity left. Then there's also Dakota, if V goes with Aldecaldos. There's that one scenario where annoying her with some blabblering like
"Ah, Night City looks quite something from here, from the distance. Which reminds me of this one fat woman I once met in Santo Domingo. Oh, be as great you are... far away from me. Kinda feels the same." And she can't shoot V or send to some suicide mission, because you are both Aldecaldos. So V can actually trust her.

What comes to fixers in general, think about it a little. If you are a fixer, you are in it for the money, sometimes for power too. Difficult tasks, quite often deadly for edgerunners. Why the heck you would want to befriend someone who you may sent to their death?

In a setting like Night City, there is so many possibilities. I'm always an advocate for rpg games to give players as many optional choices as possible
I can understand your goal here, but there's also that it undermines the setting. This just isn't the world.

Kiwi just is another edgerunner / mercenary in Night City, a netrunner with some other talents in a crew.
This is not what I mean by being able to be Kiwi. Being able to be like Kiwi would be if V was able to betray Jackie Wells during the first act. Kiwi had a impactful relationship with Faraday by choosing to do business with him despite betraying the people who trusted her.

I can understand your goal here, but there's also that it undermines the setting. This just isn't the world.
This is exactly the type of world to give V these options. Many of what you have said seems to be gatekeeping of the type of character you have personally made your V out to be. Which if V was Geralt that would make sense since that character has a pre-existing backstory and lore. But V was created with little to no backstory in a game that was meant to be an rpg. Personally when I play V I would not mind affiliating with Militech or Arasaka; whether it's killing innocents or performing heinous acts, I'd do it for the eddies, the corporate fame, and immunity. Cyberpunk is exactly the type of game setting to allow the player to create a mercenary group, fight with your comrades, experience some friends die or betray you because of your decisions. Let the player impact the world and also be impacted by the world

Last edited:
Let the player impact the world and also be impacted by the world
Ideal, I would agree :)
But knowing how CDPR games are, I don't think it will happen. Just "too much" work, that's why in TW3, choices are also quite limited too (they tried in TW2, but they probably think that it wasn't worth it to do it again^^).
Maybe in the futur by switching to Unreal Engine they will have more time to focus on "content".

This is not what I mean by being able to be Kiwi. Being able to be like Kiwi would be if V was able to betray Jackie Wells during the first act. Kiwi had a impactful relationship with Faraday by choosing to do business with him despite betraying the people who trusted her.

This is exactly the type of world to give V these options. Many of what you have said seems to be gatekeeping of the type of character you have personally made your V out to be. Which if V was Geralt that would make sense since that character has a pre-existing backstory and lore. But V was created with little to no backstory in a game that was meant to be an rpg. Personally when I play V I would not mind affiliating with Militech or Arasaka; whether it's killing innocents or performing heinous acts, I'd do it for the eddies, the corporate fame, and immunity. Cyberpunk is exactly the type of game setting to allow the player to create a mercenary group, fight with your comrades, experience some friends die or betray you because of your decisions. Let the player impact the world and also be impacted by the world
This is a bit of a jump from meaningful relationships, but I kinda get this too and there's nothing wrong expressing it. I just don't see anything like this with production values comparable to CP 2077 happening anytime soon. Amount of work to make something like this happen is just something insane.

A reminder (that you may have heard before. I'm pretty sure you've heard this before. I'm totally confident that this has been said!):

Discussions need to remain respectful of all other views at all times. Please, do not make the mistake of assuming that your opinions are superior to another person's. People do not win or lose arguments that are based on preference or taste. That's not how this works.

If you find yourself growing tired or annoyed with a discussion -- post nothing. Do not attempt to make personal judgements of another person. If you do...there will be marshmallow. The marshmallow will flow. Marshmallow shall tear a hole in the sky and rain upon the world a sweet and sticky apocalypse, muffling all in a silence of squishy goop.

A lot of things, but I think difficulty and boring encounters are one of my biggest gripes. Not to say that the level design is not fun, but enemy AI is pretty dismal at times, and the enemies themselves don't have much going on for them. There's big guy, generic shooter man, sniper, and melee person. For variety sake, I just wish we had some more unique enemy types interspersed in these encounters, maybe tied to factions even (e.g. VBD mercs as challenging netrunner enemies). Otherwise, you get to the point where you're just steam rolling jobs just to check off a box.

You are mixing prosthetic with cyberware (or cyberware prosthetic). Prosthetics has been around for a long time, from false teeth to limb replacements. False teeth function without being connected to our nervous system. Prosthetic limbs and there are many kinds and not all of them are visually similar to lost limbs, sometimes practicality over aesthetics is important matter. Still, outside of few prototypes, to replace all the lost functionality those should have also functionality of muscles and then all that would require connection to nervous system.

It's not form but functionality. For me they do not have industrial grade, but WV Beetle, because functionality is what they can afford, while V has top of the line Audi or Mercedes, with both, aesthetics / form and functionality.

Why should dystopia feel cool? How would that be portraying anything worthwhile instead of being just something superficial.

Well, you make statement that it went to game by a mistake, then it's again subjective opinion. Obviously I'm not supporting your opinion as it's counterproductive for me as what they have now works for me. However, it's also genuine interest if it's really something that could work towards better features, if feature doesn't work why doesn't it work? if it's something to do with premise of game, was that because some information was not available for player and such things.

All right. It's just that, if we take visual presentation via NPC's away, how would presentation then differ from GTA. That doesn't mean that you cannot have this opinion.

You misunderstand the difference between "prosthetics" and "cybernetics".

Definition of cybernetics

: the science of communication and control theory that is concerned especially with the comparative study of automatic control systems (such as the nervous system and brain and mechanical-electrical communication systems)

Definition of prosthesis

: an artificial device to replace or augment a missing or impaired part of the body

As you can see, the use of the term "prosthetic" is entirely correct. "Cyberware" is in essence a cybernetic prosthesis when it comes to the devices that replaces or augments a body part. Today's leading medical firms that that experiment on developing limb replacements with parts that can be classified as 'cybernetic' still call their products 'prosthetics'. Cybernetics is simply the interface between the body and the prosthesis.

As for "Why should dystopia feel cool?". In this case, why shouldn't it? This is a game called "Cyberpunk". Does that not sound cool to you? Does it not seem to you that the intention of the devs of this game was to give people a sense of "wow this is cool"?

William Gibson is considered the origin of the term and genre 'cyberpunk' (while he didn't coin the term, it was invented referring to his books). In interviews, he was asked what was his main motivation for his genre-defining style. His answer [paraphrasing]: "I was young at the time. I wanted it to feel cool". If you don't think Cyberpunk is about coolness, you are fundamentally mistaken. It's a dystopian nightmare, certainly. But definitely an attempt at a cool one.

This is a direct quote from the original Cyberpunk 2020 rulebook description on R.Talsiorian's home page:

"You're wired in, cyberenhanced and solid state as you can take it to the fatal Edge where only the toughest and coolest can go. Because you're CYBERPUNK" - What do yout think? Does it perhaps sound like they were trying to portray their work as fundamentally cool and edgy? I like to think so.

The credo of Cyberpunk 2020 (which this game is most certainly emulating) is "STYLE OVER SUBSTANCE". How does that sound to you? Does it sound like it perhaps indicates some superficiality?

Why is it that you don't consider the endeavor to make something cool "worthwhile"? I think it seems pretty clear that CDPR made an effort to make a cool looking and not least, cool feeling game. I don't think they always nail it, but often they do. Why do you not consider that worthwhile?

Last edited:

H27

Forum regular
It would be useful:
-Insert the names of the ripperdocs in the map icons
- insert special animations during attacks from behind in stealth mode, or attacking from above / below, especially with daggers (far-cry style).
-It would be great to have a system similar to Shadows of Mordor's Nemesys, for gang management and event memory.
- Having random events that happen from time to time around us, such as assaults, funny communications or strange situations.
- Be able to customize the colors of the vehicles and weapons.
-Romances as in the Witcher
-A game similar to Gwent
-Cyberspicosis / Humanity please.

You misunderstand the difference between "prosthetics" and "cybernetics".

Definition of cybernetics

: the science of communication and control theory that is concerned especially with the comparative study of automatic control systems (such as the nervous system and brain and mechanical-electrical communication systems)

Definition of prosthesis

: an artificial device to replace or augment a missing or impaired part of the body

As you can see, the use of the term "prosthetic" is entirely correct. "Cyberware" is in essence a cybernetic prosthesis when it comes to the devices that replaces or augments a body part. Today's leading medical firms that that experiment on developing limb replacements with parts that can be classified as 'cybernetic' still call their products 'prosthetics'. Cybernetics is simply the interface between the body and the prosthesis.

As for "Why should dystopia feel cool?". In this case, why shouldn't it? This is a game called "Cyberpunk". Does that not sound cool to you? Does it not seem to you that the intention of the devs of this game was to give people a sense of "wow this is cool"?

William Gibson is considered the origin of the term and genre 'cyberpunk' (while he didn't coin the term, it was invented referring to his books). In interviews, he was asked what was his main motivation for his genre-defining style. His answer [paraphrasing]: "I was young at the time. I wanted it to feel cool". If you don't think Cyberpunk is about coolness, you are fundamentally mistaken. It's a dystopian nightmare, certainly. But definitely an attempt at a cool one.

This is a direct quote from the original Cyberpunk 2020 rulebook description on R.Talsiorian's home page:

"You're wired in, cyberenhanced and solid state as you can take it to the fatal Edge where only the toughest and coolest can go. Because you're CYBERPUNK" - What do yout think? Does it perhaps sound like they were trying to portray their work as fundamentally cool and edgy? I like to think so.

The credo of Cyberpunk 2020 (which this game is most certainly emulating) is "STYLE OVER SUBSTANCE". How does that sound to you? Does it sound like it perhaps indicates some superficiality?

Why is it that you don't consider the endeavor to make something cool "worthwhile"? I think it seems pretty clear that CDPR made an effort to make a cool looking and not least, cool feeling game. I don't think they always nail it, but often they do. Why do you not consider that worthwhile?

I was very clear in context of original post about not mixing up cybernetic (which is replacement organ as one part of it's functionality) and how it differs from prosthetics and their purpose, I also gave example in context of CP 2077 universe in socio-economical context based on original quote. You are either not understanding this, nor this is something else but in either case, I don't see we have much to discuss here.

What comes to "coolness" of that, there's game, if you have actually come to play that, Rogue refers that factor as "Kitch" which is very much on point of things visioned back in the day to degree while Williams, Gibson and Pondsmith (not every author went to that though, like Sterling) which I found very on point from somebody who discovered genre back in the late '80's. Kitch factor is there but what the original discussion was about how user went some cyberware disturbing their immersion.

[Edited for tone -- SigilFey]

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the core of the concept, but the game is dealing with cybernetics specifically -- the merging of body and mind with machine. It's certainly arguable that cybernetics are a form of prosthesis, but to remain accurate, the argument would be best served by using the most accurate language available. Cybernetics are prosthetics -- but not all prosthetics are cybernetics. Hence: cybernetics is what's specifically in question when dealing with the concept of "cyberpsychosis".

Also, trying to validate an entire argument semantically by ignoring more accurate and available terminology is 100% pointless. Inaccuracy is inaccuracy. We want to fix those issues if identified, not try to qualify them through further loosey-goosey semantic reasoning. In the end...it's our arguments that will suffer for it.

Absolutely! The whole concept of Cyberpunk / 2020 / 2077 is dystopian. The body, rather than being viewed a sanctum (as modern society does) is now viewed as profanum. Natural humanity is a weakness: weakness in strength, weakness in mind, weakness in ability. In order to survive and thrive in CP2077's world, Pondsmith introduced the concept of Attitude is Everything.

Translation: "There's no more point to any of it. Humanity? It's all gone. It's all destroyed. There's nothing left but dregs and scraps. So...go out in style!"

^ This forms the omnipresent backdrop to "the dark future". It also introduces some of the main themes: the worth of human life, the price of success, the world we leave behind. And of course, cyberpsychosis. It's the, shall we say, culmination of what cyberware is. What replacing humanity means. A warning that we've already gone too far...or have we? It's directly connected to the sheer amount of augmentation a human undergoes...but women are more resistant to it. Interesting, because the one, critical thing that a woman can do that a man cannot do is create new life. Nature is struggling to gasp for air under the weight of a world largely replaced by machines. And it's apparently losing.

And this theme culminates in CP2077 with the whole concept of engram tech. An entire consciousness...recreated entirely with technology. Not an "AI"...but the cybernetic replacement of the very soul. In a way...is there anyone more "cyberpsycho" in the game than V? His very mind has been replaced with a mass-murderer and terrorist that he manages to "find a balance" with, until it finally and inevitably consumes his psyche, creating a new, single mind that exists solely as technology...using the physical body as nothing more than a vessel.

Is that cool? Well, that's up to everyone's individual tastes. (Personally, I love this stuff!)

Last edited:
that it would actual run ?!?
That would help in first place..

purchased at release... installed since then : 5 times runtime : 2 hours. Now it won´t even start. Lulz.

In context of CP 2077, you describe a ronin, and then say that's a samurai.

I mean, there's no adventure working as an affiliate of an organization. You have no freedom and go where they tell you and do what they tell you.

Edgerunners exist so you can be an unaffliated free agent who does the work they want.

I've also noticed a lot of people have a weird idea the corporations are less...evil than they are.

"I want to work as a soldier for Arasaka."

"Okay, Arasaka sends you to die on a suicide mission that you are blamed for the failure of."

"Wait, what?"

I was very clear in context of original post about not mixing up cybernetic (which is replacement organ as one part of it's functionality) and how it differs from prosthetics and their purpose, I also gave example in context of CP 2077 universe in socio-economical context based on original quote. You are either not understanding this, nor this is something else but in either case, I don't see we have much to discuss here.

What comes to "coolness" of that, there's game, if you have actually come to play that, Rogue refers that factor as "Kitch" which is very much on point of things visioned back in the day to degree while Williams, Gibson and Pondsmith (not every author went to that though, like Sterling) which I found very on point from somebody who discovered genre back in the late '80's. Kitch factor is there but what the original discussion was about how user went some cyberware disturbing their immersion.

[Edited for tone -- SigilFey]

It seems to me that you're ignoring the facts, despite me quoting the text book definition of both 'cybernetic' and 'prosthetic'. The definition of 'cybernetic' is clearly not what you describe as "replacement organ as one part of it's functionality" (sic). That is the definition of a prosthesis. Cybernetics is in turn the part of a prosthesis which interfaces the biological body and the prosthesis. It feels like you found it necessary to object to me using the word 'prosthetic' when I'm entirely in my right to do so.

The first time you mentioned this was in response to a post where I referred to a metal leg as a 'prosthesis'. You made a point of claiming that I had mixed up the terms 'prosthetic' and 'cyberware'. I still don't know exactly why you did that, but here we are. I don't feel like that response to my post should pass unabated.

Regarding your comments about coolness. I'm honestly having a hard time interpreting what you're trying to say. I'm not sure why you seem to refer to "Rogue" (I guess you're referring to the NPC in the game without providing any further context) in order to rephrase the meaning into "Kitch". Is the intention here to diminish the value of coolness? Is it to impress a high-brow attitude, regarding the "superficial coolness" of cyberpunk as kitch pulp? I'm not entirely sure but this is the impression I'm left with.

The original discussion on this was about how I found an overabundance and indiscriminate use of cyberware among random people in the game world to lessen the coolness of cyberware and also to diminish the feeling of a convincingly coherent game world. In this context it is essential to bring up the fact that 'coolness' (especially in the "dark and edgy" sense) as a concept is essential to the original Cyberpunk 2020 lore and cyberpunk as a genre. In many ways, high technology is the 'magic' of this near-future SciFi setting. When it is everywhere, it becomes bland to me. This is, as mentioned earlier, a personal preference.

I would still like to know why you seem to think that coolness and superficiality isn't "worthwhile" concepts in CP2070, despite this being apparent expressed goals from the creators. You haven't really expanded on this, despite me asking you directly in earlier posts.

Last edited:
1. Walking toggle for keyboard
out of curiosity, what do you mean by this? like, walking vs sprinting?
2. Flashlight or some other light source. Some maps get really dark and we have no light.

View attachment 11099396
i feel ike this could be fixed by using your scanner. i mean in a real-life scenario the map is either made in a way that what little light there is is intentional, or is a null issue
5. Allow us to adjust the radio/TV volume and amp up the music in nightclubs. (Totentanz is too quiet)
i feel like this is just to accommodate for dialogue volumes and the sort, but yeah i could get behind pulling a GTA and having them separated and tuned. potentially having a dynamic dialogue boost like GTA would work too.

I mean, there's no adventure working as an affiliate of an organization. You have no freedom and go where they tell you and do what they tell you.

Edgerunners exist so you can be an unaffliated free agent who does the work they want.

I've also noticed a lot of people have a weird idea the corporations are less...evil than they are.

"I want to work as a soldier for Arasaka."

"Okay, Arasaka sends you to die on a suicide mission that you are blamed for the failure of."

"Wait, what?"
Lot's of feedback that I have read on forums since I joined. A lot of feedback that can be perceived as negative, actually isn't. It does happen sometimes that it's not easy to tell right from the start what it's about. I think it was January after the launch of CP 2077 where there were some user(s) presenting critique that there weren't enough cyberware present and it came out like something I knew about, Japanese body horror scene stuff. I only seen one movie, don't remember its name but it was pretty graphic, that I remember. Then it turned out to be about body horror aspects being present and cyberpunk as method and I think it was in the end quite a good conversation, because I there was a goal related to game, for my opinion graphical content related to body horror was present in game in a way that makes sense in the world of CP 2077 and that in the end genre isn't about body horror, that would be saying like guitar is the music.

Sometimes people have convoluted methods to express their goal and I think more people were open about them easier it would be to find common ground. Cyberpunk covers really lot of areas. Not to spoil too much for people who may follow this but, say in Williams Voice of the Whirlwind protagonist is a corpo soldier and there are aliens. I think novel is pretty good one, even though pointing out there were aliens is going to turn off some readers, it's better than expected. On a side note I really appreciate he managed to get away regarding publisher making sequel to Hardwired that had pretty much nothing to do with Hardwired but stood on its own. Haha.

Something like working for the gangs that another very popular topic then, it wouldn't make much sense because the whole gang dynamic which makes sense in real world terms, I think part of that was about V not being so isolated and sometimes to get to know more about world via different factions, gangs and corps. Then to play amoral or evil character, there's audience for that.

Umbrella for a lot of feedback like that is that people want more, so is it really negative feedback then?

I wish more people would come right out what kind of features they want, what they want to experience instead of coming out first like "I want this because that's what the cyberpunk is about" when that's not the case. Nothing wrong wanting expressing wanting to explore darker sides of Night City life, even when, like you put it, being a samurai would mean a leash, probably not a feature that would be very fun for a lot of players but maybe something to try for a couple of hours but there's nothing wrong in expressing it.

Then there are things - how Johnny put it, it was something like "Back in the day when we thought sunglasses could deflect bullets." How to heck people to genre can you miss something like that? and Gibson, Williams and Pondsmith all have on medium or another come out to tell those who follow the genre how they worked with what they had. Williams went to some of the appearance for Cowboy came from something silly (and I know exactly what as I'm was teen back then, but that's for other topic) in his foreword in 30th. anniversary edition of Hardwired.

Commercial products and all, but I appreciate how down to earth they are about history of cyberpunk and give room to new wave of authors and audiences that are interested about the genre.

that it would actual run ?!?
That would help in first place..

purchased at release... installed since then : 5 times runtime : 2 hours. Now it won´t even start. Lulz.
Indeed, fixing the bugs would fix the game :coolstory:. In the technical department, anyway. The lore/world/characters are interesting and worthwhile, but seriously, in that tech department it's as if the game itself has cyberpsychosis :giveup:

Top Bottom