What would happen if you did all of Skellige first before Velen and Novigrad? (spoilers)

+
What would happen if you did all of Skellige first before Velen and Novigrad? (spoilers)

New game plus presents interesting opportunities that are not available in the NG.

For example, you could conceivably do all of Skellige before even touching the Blood Baron or Novigrad in NG if you started NG plus at a very high level (like say level 50).

Here are the questions that would come up if you did all of Skellige first:
You would already know you needed to find UMA and I wonder how that scene would play out once UMA shows up in the room with the Bloody Baron?
As for Novigrad, what reason would you have to find Dandelion, since you would know that helping Uma was the key to finding Ciri

It just seems like NG+ would potentially create opportunities to completely break the game.

If you walk up to Yen with only the Velen questing done she probably knees Geralt in the nether regions and teleports him to the middle of the Pontar river.

Never tried it but my guess is that you'll have to save Dandelion anyway since he's got his hand on a Mcguffin that is used to dispel the curse of uma (if I remember correctly...). Now what would be awesome is to be able to bring uma to kaer moren before having finished the novigrad part of chapter 1! :p

You get a special short quest on Skellige:
If Gerald has the information that only an ugly person was on the boat in Hindarsfjall, he must look for the nobleman who sold Uma to a trader from Novigrad. It's only a dialogue but an interesting one.

I partially did this or at least I found a small difference after you find Skjall in Skellige.

"We know Ciri's not in Skellige."

Geralt: Didn't learn much. Though... though we can be sure Ciri's not in Skellige anymore. Not in Velen either... Leaves Novigrad - world's biggest city.
Yennefer: No one said it would be easy. Better to have some idea where to look than none.
Geralt: Ugh. Makes me wonder what she's gotten herself into.
Yennefer: Can't even begin to imagine. But we will pull her out of it, safe and sound. That I promise you.

"A line when asked to go and fetch Uma"
Geralt : He's safe where he is, with the baron - least I think so. I'll get him once I know why Ciri went to Novigrad, what she did there... Still a chance I might find her there.

I think it was even planned originally that you switch back and forth between Skellige and Novigrad, because of the quest Echoes of the Past. If you have done everything in Velen and Novigrad before going to Skellige, the quest is pretty much pointless, because it doesn't give you any new information until Ermion tells you about the Wild Hunt at Lafoten.

Just recently someone posted that Geralt mentions the necromancy in a quest in Novigrad.

After Triss got tortured and killed everyone in a rage, you can suggest to use necromancy to get information out of them, but Triss declines "I'm not Yennefer".

Cool!!! But that you - Kallelinski - wrote about necromancy in a quest in Novigrad must be new after patch 1.10 or not?! Because I had that point in the story two weeks ago (with patch 1.8) with no dialogue like that.

No, it's not new. This conversation will be active in case when player completed main story quests on Skellige and only then will go to the witch hunter's lair.

Yes, that has been in the game since it was released. The 1.10 patch made no changes to dialogue before the Battle of Kaer Morhen quest.

The dialogue with Dandelion after he is rescued also changes depending on whether the main quest is completed in Velen and/or Skellige.

Last edited:
Okay thanks for the information.

Does this dialogue trigger only if you talk with Menge to the absolut end? I had aborted the conversation with Menge at that point
he told me where's the treasure of Dijkstra
Then I started to fight and kill the witch hunters

It should definitely trigger if Menge does not tell where Dandelion is (that is, in the cases when Geralt kills him), but I think it does in all cases.

Did this today on my fifth playthrough. It's fairly easy on New Game Plus after Blood and Wine, since you'll have Aerondight and other decent equips. It is also interesting to note that Yen wants to go to Vizima to study about the ugly creature (Uma), after your encounter with Skjall. I shall go to Velen after this, and see Geralt's reaction when he sees Uma after the Bloody Baron quest line. :)

The following scenes change in Velen if you previously completed Novigrad or Skellige:
When talking to Tamara and Graden the witch hunter, Geralt will comment on Menge ("one mean son of a bitch") if he was already met in Novigrad.

In the final conversation with the baron at the end of Family Matters, the dialogue indeed changes depending on whether the act 1 main quests in the other areas have been completed. Geralt's lines reflect if he already knows about the curse (Dandelion rescued) and/or UMA possibly being connected to Ciri (Skellige done).

sv3672;n8437120 said:
The following scenes change in Velen if you previously completed Novigrad or Skellige:
When talking to Tamara and Graden the witch hunter, Geralt will comment on Menge ("one mean son of a bitch") if he was already met in Novigrad.

In the final conversation with the baron at the end of Family Matters, the dialogue indeed changes depending on whether the act 1 main quests in the other areas have been completed. Geralt's lines reflect if he already knows about the curse (Dandelion rescued) and/or UMA possibly being connected to Ciri (Skellige done).

Just finished the Novigrad story line, this is after finishing Skellige story as well. I am moving forward to Velen. The only thing I noticed different during the "Poet Under Distress" quest is that Geralt would agree to visit Velen (because Dandelion said that Ciri could've came back) instead of Skellige. In the "normal" story progression, they would conclude with the destination being Skellige.

Anybody here who has a video clip of that conversation? I forgot to save the recording because I was feeling sleepy that time. :(

While I do not have a video of the scene, if anyone is interested in creating one and has only a save with the more usual order of playing the quests, the Dandelion dialogue reacts to the facts q103_nml_part1_ciri and q205_completed for having completed Velen and Skellige, respectively.

I haven't played NG+ but i would not expect any major changes in the playthrough. This feature was added so that people can go to Level 100 if they wish to, but it would be too much work to rewrite and voiceover all those dialogs where Geralt would know of the outcome and where to look.

I haven't played NG+ but i would not expect any major changes in the playthrough.
But that isn't what the OP asked about. NG+ is exactly the same as a regular NG except everything's higher level (and carried-over items/skills); the question in the OP is what happens if Geralt visits Skellige during the MQ before doing the Velen and Novigrad parts.

(And the changes it causes are worth seeing for oneself IMO.)

But that isn't what the OP asked about. NG+ is exactly the same as a regular NG except everything's higher level (and carried-over items/skills); the question in the OP is what happens if Geralt visits Skellige during the MQ before doing the Velen and Novigrad parts.

(And the changes it causes are worth seeing for oneself IMO.)
so, what are the changes?

Many are listed in this thread, and I wouldn't remember everything anyway. It's been a long time since I last did it.
To be honest, I did not find much new here, if anything. In one playthrough I played in story mode (super easy) so I went to skellige asap and encountered those dialogs.

I am curios if there is anything changing in the game because Geralt already knows about everything. So far it seems to me NG+ is just the same game but with monsters stronger by 50 levels.

Top Bottom