What would you prefer: solid performance or free DLC?

+
What would you prefer: solid performance or free DLC?

The question is very simple. If you had to choose between these two options, which one would it be?

1) Solid 30 FPS performance, but none of the free DLC
2) Free DLC, but perormance as it is at the moment

I'll take solid performance please. Extra content is great but if the performance is lacking that effects my entire experience of the game (or at least it jumps up to bite me at various points which feel random because I won't be able to predict them, therefore making me feel the game as a whole is just waiting to either crash or framelag or famelag then crash ect).
Personally I won't be downloading 1.07 till a new patch fixes the framerate issue, even if that means I never have a storage stash thingy.
Remember NES days when you'd be playing a game, there'd be too many sprites on the screen and it'd go all slow-mo? Wouldn't it be great if 30 years later consoles had outgrown that problem? Shame they haven't.

Here's hoping that after they release the last of the free dlc they'll start working on the fps problems on consoles oooooooh wait, there's still 2 huge expansions left that they still have to make,,,dang, and also I heard that some of the people who worked on Witcher 3 left and formed their own studio so now there's less manpower at CDPR as well.
But in regards to the thread, yea I'd prefer performance honestly. Free DLC is nice and all, really nice, given the current environment of AAA grade game releases these days where devs charge you 5 bucks for just a cosmetic item and such. But what's the point of the DLC if you can't enjoy the rest of the game? Laggy framerate, slow loading textures and "faded-out" conversation screens masking as a loading screen to load the conversation an immersive RPG-experience does not make.

Why not have both? I haven't experienced any problems with the game, and I'm getting the free DLC. Happy customer here.

Well it would be nice if we also could have a stable performance like 30fps. But it's important to remember that the platform we play on (PS4/XBone) is not a super computer capable of miraculous wonders and thus we must lower our expectations. Maybe we will one day get an increase or perhaps not... just be thankful for what you got - The Witcher 3 and endless support. =)

Obliviously, everyone would take the first one...
But they need more time to make it perform well (i hope...), so having some free DLC while we wait is better than nothing :D

I'll take solid performance please. Extra content is great but if the performance is lacking that effects my entire experience of the game (or at least it jumps up to bite me at various points which feel random because I won't be able to predict them, therefore making me feel the game as a whole is just waiting to either crash or framelag or famelag then crash ect).
Personally I won't be downloading 1.07 till a new patch fixes the framerate issue, even if that means I never have a storage stash thingy.
Remember NES days when you'd be playing a game, there'd be too many sprites on the screen and it'd go all slow-mo? Wouldn't it be great if 30 years later consoles had outgrown that problem? Shame they haven't.

For what it's worth, I think the overall framerate is more stable in 1.07. You lose two frames in some places, but the slowdown isn't as bad in the worst areas. I think the pop-in is also better on a PS4 with the stock HDD now.

Hopefully they will keep working on it for the PS4/XB1 players out there.

But to answer the OP, I'd take better performance. And I liked the quest DLC.

I think it all depends on how unstable the performance in question is. I don't ever expect the performance in a game as big and as complex as the witcher 3 to be 100% perfect (or most games for that matter), but I certainly wouldn't expect it to drop and lock to 20FPS like it does. One of consoles gamings small advantages historically has been that a game will be optimised within the constraints of the system it plays on.

For a PC player (when their card isn't very powerful) they can choose whether to have low FPS with better graphics, or alternatively, stable FPS with lower quality graphics. However, when you have a console this choice is taken out of your hands, and in that respect developers have a duty to give a stable optimised experience within the constraints of the system.

In this case I would choose performance, but I still hold out hope that the talented folk at CDPR can fix this.

Last edited:
In my opinion CDPR is trying to make the best out of what thy know about the new consoles. this game remind me of oblivion's problems with the consoles. the companies don't know enough how to squeeze the system, it will take some time and several attempts to get it right, this is why you see so many tries and errors with the latest patches. i believe that thy will get it right soon.

I think that i should get both, Framerate and gameplay is a part of a good game and it is no supplement for a free DLC, a thing that i think is great .

So if i have to chose between the to i rather not chose at all.

Last edited:
I'll take bug free performance over free content every time ... especially since their idea of free content seems to be superfluous skins that nobody asked for or genuinely needs, and a few short quests that the latest patches have since BROKEN (re: Skellige Most Wanted broken by 1.07, Fool's Gold Broken since 1.05, etc.).

Please fix the broken quests that are blocking three separate trophies that in turn are blocking the platinum trophy, plus the plethora of other bugs.

This thread is absolutely unnecessary. Stop creating this kinds of threads and focuse on reporting problems and bugs.

No offense intended, but you dont appear to be a moderator for this site. We can all make suggestions to one another, but only forum officers deputized by the site admin can direct people. As long as people are well behaved and following stated posting guidelines, nobody has any business trying to boss others around.

Top Bottom