What’s new in Night City? [Patch 1.2 development insight]

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Excuse me? Thy didn't have enough time? This patch was supposed to be released last month. Ok ok, we all know..hacking happens ..not once(2017) but twice(2021). You know the saying: fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me :). But is already almost the end of March... we were expecting maybe something more than some "highlights" the modders addressed a while ago.

And i don't think this community has "big expectations" - just a functional game, maybe? Oh yes, apparently that's impossible :)

Like Vattier says in post 58 "These are just some of the changes we decided to highlight. We will share full patchnotes later."

Means, there is many more stuff that CDPR has fixed in patch 1.2!

But from patch 1.1 to 1.2 it's impossible to fix 100% of the games bugs!
This time period is to short!
The community expectations are to high for the 1.2 patch.
CDPR fix something, but not that many things as the community expect!
The game will not be drastically change, or even has a massive better gaming experience after 1.2!

The community will still be negative even after the 1.2 patch and that´s why i said "the community expectations are too high"

The shout out after 1.2 will be negative as always after the other patches before, so it's clearly a community thing and there expectations!

Stay healthy guys!

A statement based on what?

Speculation and 3 job offers specifically aimed at multiplayer out of the 16 that are for at CP2077?

That sounds like a solid argument.

3 job offers are specifically aimed at multiplayer systems, yes. The rest of CP2077 job offers might be aimed at both MP and SP version of CP2077 (the systems and solutions shared with SP version of the game, e.g. animator, writer, quest designer etc.). Multiplayer is also called "CP2077" in job offers. And CP2077 project (no distinction between SP and MP) is divided into 3 studios (Wrocław, Kraków, Warszawa). Besides, as I wrote in my previous post, we already have some information about the way CDPR managed their projects in the past.

Do you think they hire people to work on DLCs? I was following the news in the last few months and some of the developers were moved to a new position or gained some new duties (e.g. weapon design). It was presented by the journalists as a shift from SP to MP.

Of course, I might be wrong. But if I had to guess... their focus is on MP now. It does make sense from a financial point of view (they are well aware that after all this bad publicity regarding the release of their last product the DLCs for CP2077 might not sell as well as the base game). MP allows for long-term flow of money. It's quite important if you have no other significant single player AAA game release planned in the next few years. And yes, it's a speculation (hence my "seems to be"), so no need for irony ("solid argument") on your part.

Guest 3847602

It does make sense from a financial point of view (they are well aware that after all this bad publicity regarding the release of their last product the DLCs for CP2077 might not sell as well as the base game). MP allows for long-term flow of money.
DLC never sells as well as the base game
Mass Effect 3 and Rome 2 Total War were selling their DLCs just fine even with controversies surrounding their base game

Anyway, i don't understand why people is so obsessed with this whole wanted-level system and cops behavior thing. Ok, we all know the marketing promised things that didn't make the cut. But from a roleplaying point it shouldn't really matter.

This game is a story-driven rpg where the protagonist is NOT a blank toon that can be whoever you want. It's a mercenary with a fixed personality. He's not some thug or mafia goon like in GTA, or a bandit like in RDR, where it totally make sense to have a full working and believable wanted system because, you know, you play as an outlaw who sometimes randomly kill people because it makes sense, given the character you're impersonating. But in this game you're NOT a criminal, not in the purest sense of the word. You are a hired mercenary. Fixers never ask you to go on a random killing spree on Corpo Plaza, or something, or to rob a bank. Why should a mercenary shoot a random NPC walking on the street if not for self-defense, or a cop for that matter? V, as a character with a personality, would NEVER do that without a reason. So, why the devs should concentrate on the whole cops thing when there is a zillion other things that desperately need working first, like a more balanced difficulty, better driving, perks that actually work as intended, and so on...?

I'm not saying it wouldn't be nice to have cops operating in a more realistic way. I would totally love it. But this wouldn't make V's journey more engaging or the story more gripping. This is not a sandbox-game. All the drama surrounding the wanted system is pretty much another excuse for the people who wanted a "GTA set in the future" type of game to hate it even more.

I guess we have different opinions about how a game should be looking in 2020/2021 on PC and Consoles(new or old).
And i'm not talking about visuals. :)
Bigger, better and bug free. Difficult, could've been more polished though. On the other hand not every developer is capable of delivering big games almost bug free at the designated release date.

3 job offers are specifically aimed at multiplayer systems, yes. The rest of CP2077 job offers might be aimed at both MP and SP version of CP2077 (the systems and solutions shared with SP version of the game, e.g. animator, writer, quest designer etc.). Multiplayer is also called "CP2077" in job offers. And CP2077 project (no distinction between SP and MP) is divided into 3 studios (Wrocław, Kraków, Warszawa). Besides, as I wrote in my previous post, we already have some information about the way CDPR managed their projects in the past.

Do you think they hire people to work on DLCs? I was following the news in the last few months and some of the developers were moved to a new position or gained some new duties (e.g. weapon design). It was presented by the journalists as a shift from SP to MP.

Of course, I might be wrong. But if I had to guess... their focus is on MP now. It does make sense from a financial point of view (they are well aware that after all this bad publicity regarding the release of their last product the DLCs for CP2077 might not sell as well as the base game). MP allows for long-term flow of money. It's quite important if you have no other significant single player AAA game release planned in the next few years. And yes, it's a speculation (hence my "seems to be"), so no need for irony ("solid argument") on your part.

Yet, it's pure speculation that you constantly throw around. The issue with that is that there are far too many people taking things to heart and assuming that these theories are true.

Do they hire people for DLCs? Probably not. Considering the size and scope of their previous DLCs it seems like it would be a waste. They very well could hire them for expansions though. Those expansions have generated a ton of revenue for them in the past.

You're partly right about an MP game being a constant revenue stream. I say partly because there are conditions to this.

1. It must sell or be downloaded enough if free which, as far as we know, won't be the case here.
  2. It must have the capacity to generate revenue, otherwise it's a one time deal just like a SP game. Which means constant investment in new content to keep people hooked and, most importantly, spending.
Both of these depend heavily on their course of action about the state of CP2077 and they know it. Furthermore, most, if not all, of the assets they develop for the singe player game will be reusable for the multiplayer game.

There is no doubt work has begun on the MP game. Heck, it was originally slated for a late 2021 release IIRC so work had begun before the SP release. I highly doubt it's the focus right now. If I was to hazard a guess without any actual knowledge of the inner workings of CDPR I would say their focus is on fixing this mess. What fixing it means to them is anyone's guess and whether it will be enough to regain the goodwill they lost is unknown but it's also irrelevant here.

That's my guess because that's how I would fix it, and there is experience behind that. You focus on fixing the mess and it's repercussions while dedicating a substantial amount of resources towards your long term business plan. In CDPR's case that's CP2077's expansions, the MP part and, I'm assuming here but I feel really safe in this assumption, pre-production on their next Witcher installment. You regain customers' trust in your capacities while also keeping an eye on your future. Not to mention, as previously said, work on CP2077 is work that could very well translate into the MP game meaning that making fixing the situation their focus also helps their long term plan in more ways than one.

That's my take on it. I could very well be wrong and they might just dump a few basic patches into CP2077 and move on. It's entirely possible. A bad move, especially with a brand new IP you meant to be one of the two you run with for years, but it's possible.

Last edited:
Anyway, i don't understand why people is so obsessed with this whole wanted-level system and cops behavior thing. Ok, we all know the marketing promised things that didn't make the cut. But from a roleplaying point it shouldn't really matter.

Actually, it does.

From a purely RPG perspective too. An RPG thrives on it's ability to immerse you into it's world. The way the wanted levels and police works now breaks that immersion. For me anyway.

Yes, V isn't a criminal. Yes, V has no reason to go on a random shooting spree BUT, even with that in mind, there is also no reason for the police to let V go when you take a turn too tightly and end up running over 10 pedestrians or a police officer. There is no reason for them to let you go when you end up shooting/blowing up a pedestrian/police officer by accident while in a firefight. It's completely normal for cops to come after anyone who behaves like a criminal, whether it's intended or not. That's how it works in the real world and that's definitely how it should work in a dystopian future where individual life is deemed rather worthless and the police are just enforcers legally enabled to be as brutal as they want.

With the system in place, whenever I get a wanted level I'm suddenly broken out of my experience because it's just too silly. Run over a few pedestrians and a cop? Here is 3 wanted levels aaaaand... Oops, you're dead because the magic police immediately spawned on top of you and threw a rocket at you and your car blew up! Before you could even realize you had 3 wanted levels!

That's not immersive, not even remotely.

But, with that said, I do agree that there are far more important issues to deal with and this shouldn't be the top one. Furthermore, this band-aid fix of theirs satisfies me enough to give the game another go once the patch finally drops. Eventually, they'll have to fix it and, from the OP, this fix is only a first step.

i met night city police only twice during whole game
after kerry sq and some ripperdock side job
also after completing all ncpd calls they didn't want to chase
v is a good merc

That's not immersive, not even remotely.
I don't know about you, but the things that got me immersed were: the main narrative, as well as the side-jobs, first-person, and the outstanding voice acting. The NCPD interfered like - I don't know, 10% of the time throughout the entire game? It's like they don't even exist unless some random civilian died in the line of fire or a car accident. And you know what? I'm fucking glad because I could focus on what's important than running away from cops to no end because V can't drive for shit.

no reason for the police to let V go when you take a turn too tightly and end up running over 10 pedestrians or a police officer. There is no reason for them to let you go when you end up shooting/blowing up a pedestrian/police officer by accident while in a firefight. It's completely normal for cops to come after anyone who behaves like a criminal, whether it's intended or not. That's how it works in the real world and that's definitely how it should work in a dystopian future where individual life is deemed rather worthless and the police are just enforcers legally enabled to be as brutal as they want.

You do have a point here, and i agree with you to a certain extent. But this are still things that can happen "by accident" and i don't see this game as some kind of real life simulator where every variable should be taken in consideration, but rather as a good and stylish narrative where there is a story to be told (hence a "story driven rpg"). I just can't see why people is so upset about the (objectively far from perfect) wanted system, when there are problems much more severe regarding performance on consoles, a plethora of graphical bugs, the lack of difficulty, perks not working and the rather elementary enemies ai behavior.

I don't know about you, but the things that got me immersed were: the main narrative, as well as the side-jobs, first-person, and the outstanding voice acting. The NCPD interfered like - I don't know, 10% of the time throughout the entire game? It's like they don't even exist unless some random civilian died in the line of fire or a car accident.

That's your take on the situation and that's fine. For me, immersion revolves about the sum of an RPG's parts. Is everything you mentioned important for immersion? You betcha. I also consider driving around and seeing the bustling city come to life as highly immersive too. Just like I found the design of the city extremely immersive. I can drive around with no real aim in mind and be immersed. Then I take a bad turn, hit a pedestrian and it's all gone because a highly aggressive cop just appeared out of thin air directly in front of me.

My point is, if that's all you need to be immersed, good for you. I'm genuinely happy that's all you need. It's not enough for me. I'd rather have no police system at all than what we have. Justify it with cops not giving a fuck about you if you want. If you go to the extent of putting a system in place though, don't half ass it so badly that it undermines the rest of the game.

V can't drive for shit.

Now that is a very good point and definitely an issue that needed to be addressed before the police system itself. Luckily it seems like it is.
Post automatically merged:

You do have a point here, and i agree with you to a certain extent. But this are still things that can happen "by accident" and i don't see this game as some kind of real life simulator where every variable should be taken in consideration, but rather as a good and stylish narrative where there is a story to be told (hence a "story driven rpg"). I just can't see why people is so upset about the (objectively far from perfect) wanted system, when there are problems much more severe regarding performance on consoles, a plethora of graphical bugs, the lack of difficulty, perks not working and the rather elementary enemies ai behavior.

Frankly, that's just typical human behavior. Well... typical western world behavior but I don't want to say that too loudly ... people have a tendency to see and focus solely on their own issue without taking into consideration anyone else's or the importance of other issues.

The game can barely function on old-gen consoles (though apparently better since 1.1) it should've gone without saying that their focus would be on consoles.... Yet, here we are.

Last edited:
The game can barely function on old-gen consoles (though apparently better since 1.1) it should've gone without saying that their focus would be on consoles.... Yet, here we are.
I'm lucky enough to play the game on Series X, and my experience has been smooth for the most part, with crashes that can be counted on the fingers of one hand and basically zero fps drops worth mentioning (playing on "performance" mode), but i know very well the reasons why a lot of people is unhappy with the way the game runs on older consoles. As you said, their focus should be on old-gen consoles right now. And i really hope they are working on it, because all the people who bought the game for PS4 or Xbox1 have all the rights to play the game they paid for.

the things that got me immersed were: the main narrative, as well as the side-jobs
Like simultaneously? Cause for me those things practically exclude one another, which is a major immersion breaker. After all, we are playing as a dying man/woman, but are also supposed to participate into all sort of side jobs? I'm astonished that anyone can feel immersed in setup like this. Literally the only times when I felt any immersion in this game was during those rides as a passanger in some quests.

Somehow I do understand them.

The rushed release of CP2077 made some people believe that the only thing CDPR (the beloved developer that "left greed to others") cares about right now is money (stock's worth). If they start to lose money and see no prospects of the future gains, they will try harder and deliver what was promised instead of focusing on breeding the next cash cow and abandoning CP2077 after some insignificant patches. And if you start to give CDPR a pat on the back because they changed the spawn distance value, they will not strive for quality anymore.

I guess that's the reasoning behind such "happiness".

Exactly my thinking !

Speaking from personal experience only it works fine on base PS4 and Xbox1X (or whatever the upgraded xb1 is called, my son has one and says it's played great for him). :)

They should just abandon this game then and focus on Witcher 4. That's what haters want anyway right XD? I saw half the reddit celebrating when they got hacked and now they are crying that patch is not coming soon and that its too small.

Hopefully not !

I have really enough from game developments like this !

Arma-3, Alien: Colonial Marines, Anthem, Duke Nukem Forever, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V, some of the Need for Speed Titles, a lot of CoD-Titles, Brink, Assetto Corsa, Project Cars Franchise, Dead Space Franchise, Friday the 13th, Predator Hunting Grounds aso, just to mention a few disappointing titles, which had quality issues, cut out content, no dedicated servers, awful lobby system, 10 year old graphics, dead Multi-Player-Part, awful controls, bug's which never got fixed, rediculesly performance issues, even on high-end rig's aso ...

Last edited:

This game is a story-driven rpg where the protagonist is NOT a blank toon that can be whoever you want..
This is not a sandbox-game. All the drama surrounding the wanted system is pretty much another excuse for the people who wanted a "GTA set in the future" type of game to hate it even more.

Totally agree with your first points, as for your last comment THAT totally hit the nail on the head. This is a open world theme park game, not sandbox. Sadly CDPR called it a sandbox early on and it just took off from there and made people think it was going to be all the bells and whistles of GTA. They should have said theme park which is FAR more accurate of what we got and would have tempered expectations better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom