What’s new in Night City? [Patch 1.3 development insight]

+

Guest 4571258

Looks like CDPR is going all in on comedy. Can't believe this is meant to be taken serious. Also game looks worse every update.
Post automatically merged:

See? Much ado about nothing. It's over.
Now you have to ask yourself which scenario is worse - they just don't care, or that they're simply incapable.
1629224291154.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Really mixed on this.

On one hand, I'm impressed with the long list of fixes. While on the other, I'm kind of unimpressed with the list being "mostly" bug fixes. Again. I think it may be because I never once experienced 98% of the bugs they've fixed. Ever. And I just can't muster the excitement they apparently thought cat AI, 2 jackets, a goofy looking Johnny, and a car should generate, even though they seemed to stress acknowledgement of their "smallness" during the stream.

With that, I think it's time to shelf the game for another 7-8 months. Hopefully when I have another look next year they'll truly impress, and I'll see justification in paying for the expansion after it's reviewed.

Good luck, Peeps.

A lot of the complaining comments here are criticizing without having watched the video (or choosing to ignore what the developers said). They clearly said, even early in the video for those with short attention spans, that now that most of the biggest bugs have been fixed, they (CDPR and CDPR devs) are transitioning more into quality of life improvements and content updates. They described it as a process that is finally, beginning to shift, hence the very small amount of new content here along with still a lot of fixes.

I fully expect, based on this video, that the ratio of fixes to content and functional updates will now begin to see decreasing amounts of fixes and increasing amounts of content and functional updates. Still more fixes to come and lots more content and functional updates to come too but the ratio of how many of each or in upcoming updates will move toward functional improvements.

This isn't "too little too late." This is the right move at the right time. It's also another impressively massive update. When Cyberpunk 2077 launched, bugs, including stability and world clipping, were the dominant problem. Now, with those mostly fixed, the bigger issues are becoming the quality of life and gameplay issues, so they're migrating to those. That's exactly what they should be doing.

All (or at least almost all) of Cyberpunk's issues trace to launching before the game was ready. Unfortunately, those who got a bad taste from that don't seem able or willing to give CDPR a chance at redemption. That is unfortunate for such an incredible game.

For what it's worth, CDPR, I think Cyberpunk 2077 is an amazing game. In spite of the problems (and thank you for working so hard to fix them), it's still an incredible experience. It has had its problems and it's not perfect, but it's still currently my favorite game to play. It's not yet as robust an experience as the Witcher 3, but it's getting close and I fully expect it to surpass that by the time you guys are done.

At least there are not dozens of nearly identical "quests" involving diving to collect the 3 treasure barrels amidst the Skellige isles... and not even an achievement for getting all of them (was there?)...

Last edited:
The problem is this, more than 8 months have passed, in the same time devs in similar situations have done far more to fix their game.
That after all this time, we are still stuck with bugfixes and not one of the more serious issues has been tackled.
Seriously, fix the AI for cops, gangs and civilians, because it does do bugger all so far.
I understand that you can't include everything you promised before the launch, but at least work on the more glaring issues.
And I have to say, the No Man's Sky devs DID introduce EVERYTHING, that was initially missing and had been promised, then expanded upon it and made the game practically everything they said it would be, doesn't it irk you that this small studio managed to do more than the whole of CDPR?

Just check what they had already accomplished after 8 months and compare it to what CDPR has done, it's a disgrace.
I don't want to wail on the actual devs, but someone in this company needs to stand up and talk straight with us, what are the long time plans with the game? Will there be significant improvements, including more options to customize your character, your flat, your clothing etc..?
Will you work on the almost completely broken AI (or rather will you introduce an AI fe. for civilians)?
Will gangs and cops react to V's behaviour and her actions against or for them at all, or is this something that will NEVER happen?
You need to be more open, you need to address us with clarity and honesty, otherwise this is over, and you will never ever regain the trust of most of your former fanbase.
This patch is nothing, it's just bugfixes and a few tiny qol improvements, which, as others have pointed out, had already been fixed by the modding community.

I don't want to sound dismissive, but for those head over heels for this patch and CDPR, be a bit more demanding, be a bit more critical, you can expect more, you should expect more, don't be satisfied with them doing the bare minimum.
The ONLY way publishers are ever gonna change, is if WE the gamers don't just let them get away with it.

It actually seems as if the companies are slowly catching on, postponing releases to get everything right, but the moment we let up and stop calling out what is wrong, they will just revert to their usual routines.

This stream is honestly just kinda sad. Doesn't sound at all like they are aiming for big changes in the core game. This isn't going to be a No Mans Sky type turnaround. It'll be simply getting the game to a workable and in their opinion good place plus the Free and honestly weak DLC and then if you want more good content you'll have to pay for it.

Oh absolutely but is "a game in a workable state" not something huge by itself?

Guest 3847602

And I have to say, the No Man's Sky devs DID introduce EVERYTHING, that was initially missing and had been promised, then expanded upon it and made the game practically everything they said it would be, doesn't it irk you that this small studio managed to do more than the whole of CDPR?
The difference being - CDPR had said up front which stuff is removed from the game. Nobody said: "have patience, we'll will bring it back after we release the game". And some stuff some people keep mentioning as "cut content" was never even a part of the game to begin with.
Oh, and gangs already react to you killing their members. Quests where you're helping them pretty much don't exist, so there's very little to react to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Modding something into the game is easier than patching it.

I'm aware of this, but that hardly matters when you have the optics of minimal changes on a game with this many problems when most of said changes have already been achieved by the community. FFS the game has been out almost a year and the guy on stream was acting like changes to the quest log was a big deal.

Oh absolutely but is "a game in a workable state" not something huge by itself?
What CDPR considers a workable state and what I and perhaps others consider a workable state are worlds apart. But it's literally the bare minimum CDPR should be doing. Hello Games whilst working with a much less complex and smaller in scope game with a group of 25+ Devs fixed their massive fuck up and for the next 3+ years released massive content updates free of charge to make up for their disastrous launch. They actively got to work and earned back the trust of gamers and their customers

CDPR are working on a bigger and more complex game, but they do have a significantly larger workforce with significantly more experience. That being said it's not like I'm angry at the time it takes to fix the problems I understand it is a monumental task. That being said I don't have much faith in the game ever living up to the hype CDPR created. And nothing so far as made me believe CDPR wish to go the NMS/Hello Games route with Cyberpunk. It seems clear they'll "fix" the game until they are happy with it, release some shallow DLC that if the game had launched as promised would have been nice but in reality to what we were given look pathetic. Then they'll market the Expansions and expect people to pay for them. Me personally they haven't earned my money for those expansions. I actually think it's laughable they still want to charge for the expansions I'll be truly honest.

Hello Games whilst working with a much less complex and smaller in scope game with a group of 25+ Devs fixed their massive fuck up and for the next 3+ years released massive content updates free of charge to make up for their disastrous launch. They actively got to work and earned back the trust of gamers and their customers
I don't want to destroy your enthusiasm and because I like NMS, but on XBox, I had crashes (about every hour) since day one until Decembre 2021 (I let you do the calculation). If you manage to reach the center of Euclide, that's a lot of crashes if you ask me (and also with my 1.5K hours of playing time, about 1.5K crashes...).

So they work, any doubt, but at their rythm (but not incredibly fast...) :)

What CDPR considers a workable state and what I and perhaps others consider a workable state are worlds apart. But it's literally the bare minimum CDPR should be doing. Hello Games whilst working with a much less complex and smaller in scope game with a group of 25+ Devs fixed their massive fuck up and for the next 3+ years released massive content updates free of charge to make up for their disastrous launch. They actively got to work and earned back the trust of gamers and their customers
Please, I would like to invite you to the exact way of how Helo Games did that, complete the story i you will.
They did it by temporarily going to the moon for a good 3 or 4 months (dont recall precise number) and come back with updates out of the blue. Everyone already gave up on NMS after a few weeks when Hello Games didn't respond to jack shit.
And what happens now for CDPR, they are targetted by armsfire (sort to speak) regardless of them talking OR not talking and nothing ever seems good enough.
Lets face facts here, if CD did an NMS route, they'd be shot in the head still. Why, its practically going on because they hadn't released any news after 1.23

CDPR are working on a bigger and more complex game, but they do have a significantly larger workforce with significantly more experience. That being said it's not like I'm angry at the time it takes to fix the problems I understand it is a monumental task. That being said I don't have much faith in the game ever living up to the hype CDPR created.
Correction: hype created by BOTH parties. not just CDPR who seem to have run with it. but also every news, YT-CC and so on who created stories around one-liners of what that would mean... presumably going often into wickedworld predictions of stuff which was never said nor implied.
I've said it multiple times by now and I remain of that position.
And nothing so far as made me believe CDPR wish to go the NMS/Hello Games route with Cyberpunk. It seems clear they'll "fix" the game until they are happy with it, release some shallow DLC that if the game had launched as promised would have been nice but in reality to what we were given look pathetic. Then they'll market the Expansions and expect people to pay for them. Me personally they haven't earned my money for those expansions. I actually think it's laughable they still want to charge for the expansions I'll be truly honest.
Again. I dont think NMS route will even work for CDPR. Cyberpunk is too much in the foreground for people to want to see updates for, or just to shoot at CDPR because they feel betrayed.
NMS route for CDPR is just not an option, and in retrospect, probably never was.

Once again, these patch News threads are NOT threads for general complaining about how much you don't like the game. Such posts are off-topic.

I'm aware of this, but that hardly matters when you have the optics of minimal changes on a game with this many problems when most of said changes have already been achieved by the community.

I genuinely do not believe the modding community has made mods that surmount to what is in patch 1.3. For reasons that I've already explained in my comment. But if you're talking about "features" then sure, mods have introduced new features to the game that probably should've been in there since release.

But, like Willowhugger pointed out
is "a game in a workable state" not something huge by itself?

That the game is stable and working would be a big deal. CDPR isn't going to add any substantial features until the game is playable for the majority of people. And this patch might be a huge step towards reaching that goal. I understand that you're disappointed that they didn't introduce features, but CDPR cannot afford to introduce them when the game is still in the state that it is right now.

FFS the game has been out almost a year and the guy on stream was acting like changes to the quest log was a big deal.

He was just highlighting some of the most obvious changes in patch 1.3 in a way that's digestible to the community. The problem here is that 1.3 is just a big patch. How do you demo something like that? As a developer you have fixed dozens upon dozens of issues that I for instance, have never encountered. But some people might have. So how do you show to people how much has changed? It's difficult.

I understand your point in that it seems like they haven't done much these few months. That's on CDPR. There's a lot of stuff they're working on in the background that would alleviate some of your concerns, but they're keeping their mouth shut after what happened with the 45min demo.

Let me ask you something instead. Would you have been happy had they shown you a work in progress build of the next-gen version or teaser of one of the two major DLC packs or maybe some other features they hinted at that's work in progress?

Last edited:
Accompany each patch release with a live Dev Q&A shortly after release. Select a mix of management and developer heads to speak. Have one of the official Community Managers host and facillitate.

Collect questions from the community BEFORE the Q&A and select those questions for candid real-time answer during the Dev Q&A.

Publish a more detailed roadmap that includes monthly cadence - not just technical items on the backlog, but what is intended for release and when? Publish it, update it and release it regularly.

Publish a list of user feedback regarding features and improvements by collecting them from the users - create a Wishlist section - this board software allows voting on topics (?) Publish it, update it and release it regularly.

Publish the top 20 or 30 WL items - that shows engagement and even if they can't be fulfilled either immediately or at all, it gives feedback that the devs can't get easily browsing through the hundreds of tickets or posts on this board.

These are some of the effective techniques used by other publishers who have massive code base / complex games currently in-market. There are so many ways CDPR could improve their communication other than these "N54" faux broadcasts.

CDPR are working on a bigger and more complex game, but they do have a significantly larger workforce with significantly more experience. That being said it's not like I'm angry at the time it takes to fix the problems I understand it is a monumental task. That being said I don't have much faith in the game ever living up to the hype CDPR created. And nothing so far as made me believe CDPR wish to go the NMS/Hello Games route with Cyberpunk. It seems clear they'll "fix" the game until they are happy with it, release some shallow DLC that if the game had launched as promised would have been nice but in reality to what we were given look pathetic. Then they'll market the Expansions and expect people to pay for them. Me personally they haven't earned my money for those expansions. I actually think it's laughable they still want to charge for the expansions I'll be truly honest.

My view is the game should be judged on what it is now and not what it could be. I love the game as is but want it playable.

This stream is honestly just kinda sad. Doesn't sound at all like they are aiming for big changes in the core game. This isn't going to be a No Mans Sky type turnaround. It'll be simply getting the game to a workable and in their opinion good place plus the Free and honestly weak DLC and then if you want more good content you'll have to pay for it.

Thats not what I got from it. I heard that the expansion packs will add new content, but after they shot themselves in the foot over promising the original game, they will now no longer promise anything until its complete. Patch 1.3 was hopefully the last needed bug fixes, and it was the smaller improvements that would make a first play through more enjoyable and which they can put in without risking breaking more than they fix.

If you've finished the game like me and there is no game content left then all we can do is wait for the expansions. I would welcome some free expansions now it seems the free DLC is not anything big (though they did say there was more DLC coming...).

One of my workmates decided not to play CP2077, I think i'll tell him its time to give it a shot now.

"Every time a player use fast travel in a game, a level designer dying somewhere in the world" :D

Well if driving a car/motorcycle was more enjoyable, we might quicktravel less.

At the very least, I have to give thumbsup to CDPR for not including obvious time-wasting quests which regularly make you travel across the entire city. That is actually huge. If you coupled those with lack of quicktravel... ugh.

Top Bottom