What's the deal with all the late game disconnects?

+
I would post this under "connection issues", but I'm pretty sure it is a different issue alltogether. So, as topic of this thread says, what is the deal with all the late game disconnects?

Back in the days, it would be quite normal to see someone forfeit a game right at the last card when they realized they lost, even if it just saved them 1 second. But more recently I've seen more and more disconnects in the late game, exactly at the moment the opponent know they have lost the game. So what is the issue with this? What is the point? I don't get it..

Is it to "save face"? What happens if they disconnect on purpose? Is there an advantage to doing so over passing or forfeit the game? I mean, this happens at the exact moment the opponent knows they lost. Be it 4 cards left or 1. It's not like it is a rare thing either, it happens quite alot. It's not exactly a support question, but if it's relevant I'm still on PS4, but it's not really the point of the matter.

Is there anything to gain from disconnecting on purpose? This is what it seems like is happening. What exactly are they trying to do?

Well I'm new to this game but being a vet of online gaming in general I've been noticing this multiple times over my week or so in the game. First I wondered if people were really having that many dropped internet connections but then as you did I saw mostly it happens as you described. I dont think there is any advantage of doing it and I guess I'm picturing some 14 year old in their parents basement having a little hissy fit at the moment they realize they have been beat.
Not being nasty but I have just accepted it as a "welcome to online gaming" and that's that. I have also noticed the peeps that do not have the courtesy of sending the GG also. Seems silly but as the old saying goes, it takes all kinds. Again the vision of the 14 year old in the basement comes to mind:)
Enjoy and I hope to cross paths with you in the game
John

Payus

Forum regular
I believe they are Alt+f4 ing.

Causes: Rage quit

Causes of rage quit: Impotence, frustration, inmaturity, etc

Possible mitigant factors: They were already going to quit playing, had a bad strike and couldn't be arsed to wait the last few seconds so instead they Alt +f4. Or they truly had a disconnection issue, electricity cut, game/pc crash(but that's rare at late game)

Just take it as a loss with less grace than passing/forfeiting. It has the same effect as a loss gameplaywise.

Btw this phenomenon will be more apparent the more broken/disgusting deck you play.

To me it seems like the least honorable way to lose (1. disconnects). Second to this is to forfeit when there are no moves left (2. unecessary forfeit), or literally when the game is ending anyways.

Honorable mentions. To plain forfeit when you realize you have lost, this is ok (3. plain forfeit), but not as good as the most honorable move. Just pass (Best practice: pass) when you realise you lost!

Most dishonorable response to someone who pass and lose: to keep playing your cards (4. keep playing when opponent passed and you won)

Ps. I would understand someone who rage quit over unfair or absurd moves, but not really in a fair game not using broken mechanics or OP cards.

As I have some more experience under my belt I guess I understand the forfeit part more. I find myself doing it (forfeit, not disconnect) when I am obviously not going to win AND I see the other player is needlessly playing it out. As someone who played some serious chess in my college days I look at forfeit here like conceding in chess. Newbies at chess can argue its polite to allow the winner to play out their game and enjoy it but its accepted practice in chess that forfeiting is the utmost respect to your opponent as you know they are much better than someone that wants to "play out" a sure win. And certainly in this game you can just get a "bad deal" and you know you are done pretty early. Also I see a poker analogy to this end game also.... lets say you played your last card and all I have left is a 3 str witcher and my opponent has no 9+ cards and I am loosing by 10. So like in poker I may not want to play that card and show to what my end game would be in case we played again? Not sure if that's really a viable strategy here but I like my poker face play:)
The "broken deck" idea is something I had not thought of. I wonder if I've pushed that button with folks as I have been experimenting with various card combos (ranked) as I just have not wanted to look online and copy someone else's deck card for card. Part of the fun is learning. Now if I could just figure out why I can't win anymore after that last patch.......:)
Regards , John

Guest 4368268

I heard before it had to do with mobile players closing their screen but idk if that's accurate. Either way I'd rather they'd just escape+enter. Personally I've had my share of 'ragequits' for example back when Gernichora was OP with an Ozzrel finisher or dwarves with an 18-something point oak. You see the opponent about to put it down and you don't even really wanna see the result for the 50th time in the same week.

It's frustration aimed at the game more so than the opponent. I think the BM thing to do is to rope the game out every turn when you realize you lose which some choose to do lol.

As I have some more experience under my belt I guess I understand the forfeit part more. I find myself doing it (forfeit, not disconnect) when I am obviously not going to win AND I see the other player is needlessly playing it out. As someone who played some serious chess in my college days I look at forfeit here like conceding in chess. Newbies at chess can argue its polite to allow the winner to play out their game and enjoy it but its accepted practice in chess that forfeiting is the utmost respect to your opponent as you know they are much better than someone that wants to "play out" a sure win. And certainly in this game you can just get a "bad deal" and you know you are done pretty early. Also I see a poker analogy to this end game also.... lets say you played your last card and all I have left is a 3 str witcher and my opponent has no 9+ cards and I am loosing by 10. So like in poker I may not want to play that card and show to what my end game would be in case we played again? Not sure if that's really a viable strategy here but I like my poker face play:)
The "broken deck" idea is something I had not thought of. I wonder if I've pushed that button with folks as I have been experimenting with various card combos (ranked) as I just have not wanted to look online and copy someone else's deck card for card. Part of the fun is learning. Now if I could just figure out why I can't win anymore after that last patch.......:)
Regards , John

Well, to me, the pass is the handshake of concession. You conceed the loss. Normally the opponent shakes your hand, and that's it. Game is done (opponent also passes). You don't see it happening in chess that the opponent keeps playing and put you in check mate.

Furthermore, in chess, you conceed the loss respectfully. You don't say, I have to go to the toilet and then never come back, or pretend you are sick and get taken away by ambulance just to avoid conceeding the loss.

As someone who's Alt+F4'd out of the game often enough, the reason is more often ennui than rage. Usually, it's because I'm on my last match, just lost, and the opponent can't seem to just wrap it up. I've force-closed the game on round one for the exceptional slowpokes. There are MANY players who seem to need a full minute to play the last card in their hand, and the complexity of that card has nothing to do with it. I'll Pass to end if I feel confident that the opponent will take the chance to speed things along. At that point, they have about ten-twenty seconds before I'm leaving through the window instead of the door. As for what's gained, it's universally time. I see a few people here talking about "saving a few seconds", on quitting the game, I don't know what kind of rigs they're playing on. Alt+F4 is my preference for quitting the game from every screen except the opening one.

Top Bottom