What's the default story for TW2?

+
What's the default story for TW2?

Have just recently gotten extremely interested in The Witcher 2: Assassin of Kings and was wondering -- since I won't be buying TW1 -- what is the default story in TW2?

Feel free to spoil anything that is TW1 related, but try to keep spoilers from TW2 very minimum.

TheFieryKnight said:
Have just recently gotten extremely interested in The Witcher 2: Assassin of Kings and was wondering -- since I won't be buying TW1 -- what is the default story in TW2?

Feel free to spoil anything that is TW1 related, but try to keep spoilers from TW2 very minimum.

The default backstory (if you don't import a save) is
you stayed neutral, and you killed the striga.

There is not a default story to TW2. Apart from the advertised "16 endings", there are two major paths, and three different ways to play Act III.

I would recommend you getting a save with the "default" decisions (or any that you like) and importing. The imported gear is quite useful early on.

Pham said:
I would recommend you getting a save with the "default" decisions (or any that you like) and importing. The imported gear is quite useful early on.

It is useful but not necessary at all. You will even get an additional quest (getting a silver sword) if you don't import a save.

The extra start money is also not a concern because you will make enough orens anyway. Also the equipment imported from TW1 (Raven's armor, swords, etc) are not that powerful anymore and you will 1) Find items equivalent in power early on and 2) Replace them by Chapter 2 or sooner.

The only real advantage is, in my opinoin, importing the decisions you made in TW1.

volsung84 said:
It is useful but not necessary at all. You will even get an additional quest (getting a silver sword) if you don't import a save.

The extra start money is also not a concern because you will make enough orens anyway. Also the equipment imported from TW1 (Raven's armor, swords, etc) are not that powerful anymore and you will 1) Find items equivalent in power early on and 2) Replace them by Chapter 2 or sooner.

The only real advantage is, in my opinoin, importing the decisions you made in TW1.

Many people complained about the difficulty early on, so every little bit helps in my opinion. But you really dont need it. The DLC items are very useful too and you always get them.

Pham said:
Many people complained about the difficulty early on, so every little bit helps in my opinion. But you really dont need it. The DLC items are very useful too and you always get them.

True, I found the items extremely useful on my first play-through because it took me a while to get used to combat.

ElysisOne said:
am I the only one who find the game quiet easy from the start in Hard difficult?

Did you think that on your first playthrough ? Because once you get used to the game, even hard is quite easy.

ElysisOne said:
am I the only one who find the game quiet easy from the start in Hard difficult?
The prologue was intentionally nerfed to be easier, in one of the updates; if you're talking about Chapter 1, that's different.

I see, but I was more wondering what path did Geralt choose in TW1 if you didn't play the first game? I mean in TW1, you can choose to allie with the Scoia'tael, the Order or stay neutral. Is the neutral path the default? Or is there really no story connected to TW1 if you havn't played the first game?

If you didn't play the first game, or didn't import a save, the game assumes you played neutral and assumes you killed the striga. These things are mentioned, but have little effect on gameplay. (The items you get if you do import a save are more important, because they make the game easier through about the middle of Act 1.)

guynwah said:
The default backstory (if you don't import a save) is
you stayed neutral, and you killed the striga.
It seems guynwah had to say the same thing twice. You received the reply only 30 minutes after you posted the topic. : P

I played W2, then W1. You really can get through W2 and know what's going on without playing W1. You also don't really receive much from W1 to make it worthwhile to have to play W1 first (although I do recommend going back to play it since it's a fantastic game).

Also, from what I've gathered in my 4 playthroughs of W2 (on my 5th now), there aren't a lot of references to things that happened in W1. You may hear some things, but not enough to make you question it. Although picking the Order in W1 does have its benefits in Chapter 3. Not sure if picking the Scoia'tael does since I didn't pick them.

Top Bottom