What's the hold up on 1.07?

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
So are you REALLY saying that NPCs appearing in front of you while you walk is "not that bad"? You probably don't notice it because you use fast travel a lot. Try to use the horse to navigate instead of relying on fast traveling for every single movement in the game and then you will notice it, rest assured.

Want an hint on how to have it happen? Go just outside of Novigrad, where the tower is located (so not too far that you have to travel a long tract to test the thing but neither too close so that when you save/load all NPCs in Novigrad are loaded in memory immediately), then save, exit the game and load that save again. Now use the horse to enter Novigrad and watch around you. The first instance you will notice it is on the priest talking to a little crowd (with also guards) in front of one of the arch. At first only the priest will appear with one/two NPCs at max, then, when you go near, the others will pop-in just right in front of you as you walk towards them.

100% repetible all the time (and tested on different PCs at friends houses).

No I didn't mean to imply that it isn't an issue. I guess I thought it could be because I have a high end pc instead of ultra high end pc. Also I have noticed it yes but it is far from game breaking and btw is common on open world games it happens when the buffer is full and has to reset. IMO it is not that big of an issue, but that does not mean I don't think it should be adressed I think it should but I think people are making a bigger deal out of it than needs to be.

---------- Updated at 02:20 PM ----------

It's not "forcing" anything. I was just pointing out how everyone can replicate the bug if they insist they "don't notice it" (i.e. it's not there for them). I repeat: the only three possible conclusions for people that say that they don't have/don't notice the issue are:

- You fast travel a lot, practically to go nearly everywhere that isn't just ten meters in front of you.
- You reload saves a lot, practically you die every second fight or about that.
- You shouldn't drive, because if you have a cat or dog passing in front of you while on a car you will drive over the poor sod without even acknowledging it.

It's not a problem of specs, it happens to everyone. However if you are someone that doesn't use fast travel very much then you are much more liable to have pop-ins to happen than people that fast travel to go everywhere (since fast traveling, as reloading, loads all NPCs in an area immediately, hence removing the possibility of the bug to appear).

Also, some areas have this problem much more than others, strangely enough. In White Orchard, for example, NPCs pop-ins are almost nonexistent apart in some rare circumstance.
You are actually making my point. Again all open world games have this issue but it is not as common as you claim and people on different rigs experience it in lesser/greater levels based on setup.

---------- Updated at 02:24 PM ----------

Your non-disclosure makes no sense.

Yes it does. His position is community/website coordinator and all jobs like this they sign a NDA. He is not permitted to reveal anything that has not been approved by his supervisor.

You are actually making my point. Again all open world games have this issue but it is not as common as you claim and people on different rigs experience it in lesser/greater levels based on setup.

No, I'm not "making your point". First of all please name me ONE open world (or semi open world) game where NPCs pop-in right in front of your eyes while you walk towards them. Neither Ubisoft crap ports do that. Pop-ins can happen but not of entire NPCs and they are usually done in the direction you aren't facing. LOD issues are not the same thing as pop-ins.

Secondly, as I repeat, setup has nothing to do with the issue (as I'm repeating from three times already) as it happens to everybody independently from their hardware characteristics. If you don't seem to have this particular problem it is only because you play in a way that reduces the possibility of the bug to appear, nothing more and nothing less, it is not becuase the bug isn't there for you too. Practically the users that play the game in the most casual way possible are those that will have the bug the less.

Last edited:
No I didn't mean to imply that it isn't an issue. I guess I thought it could be because I have a high end pc instead of ultra high end pc. Also I have noticed it yes but it is far from game breaking and btw is common on open world games it happens when the buffer is full and has to reset. IMO it is not that big of an issue, but that does not mean I don't think it should be adressed I think it should but I think people are making a bigger deal out of it than needs to be.

---------- Updated at 02:20 PM ----------

---------- Updated at 02:24 PM ----------

Yes it does. His position is community/website coordinator and all jobs like this they sign a NDA. He is not permitted to reveal anything that has not been approved by his supervisor.

Unfortunately Black Iris is right. The game has a very bad pop-in issue unrelated to your specs or your settings. Sometimes it consistenly concentrates on a certain area on the map like with the Nilgaardian military/work camp south of Crow's Perch (npcs pop in always happens there), while at other places it starts to happen after a time like in Crow's Perch itself. When I entered it for the first few times there was no such issue, but later on npcs started to pop in right in front of me. Very annoying. It must be the coding. To me this and the walking bug/glitch of the box carriers are the most immersion breaking technical issues of the game.

I also have really jagged edges even with sharpening and AA turned on. Also, render distance should be cranked up and pop-ins should be fixed.

Side note: anyone notice the weird animation bug with the npcs carrying crates and boxes?

Certainly did, I saw an npc walking around with a box just floating on one hand !! lol. There wasn't even a carrying animation, he was just walking normally with a box near his hand. Definately an animation bug or some kind of in-house levitation gag going on. Another npc was standing near a crate floating in the air, almost like he was confused that he should've been carrying it already

The pop-in of NPCs (as said several times already in this very topic) is an issue which has nothing to do with draw distance. It's a problem with how loading, streaming of the world and it's objects in combination with Umbra's occlusion culling works. (as the NPCs are there when you approach them just not visible, it might even be a problem with Umbra)
Combine this with how the garbage collector (the code responsible for deleting no longer needed objects from the memory) you have a load of possible issues, that could cause it, no wonder fixing it takes ages.
If you think this concept through you can predict when you'll get pop-ins, the longer your journey without reloading the more likely the pop-in gets.

I also have really jagged edges even with sharpening and AA turned on.
You are aware that sharpening basically draws a line around the edges of objects, thus doing kind of the opposite of AA?
If you want smoother edges, disable sharpening, and vice versa.

Stop messing with your ini files. After a clean install and 1.06 update, pop ins are gone for good. I think it could something to do with HBAO+, not sure.

Stop messing with your ini files. After a clean install and 1.06 update, pop ins are gone for good. I think it could something to do with HBAO+, not sure.

Yes I must say I am not getting pop ins any more either

Good i'm glad some of you fixed it from your pc. But some of you guys who were saying, "It happens to everyone" were wrong. It was not and is not happening to any serious degree here on Xbox one.

No more popins? wut?

There is still popins, but very much less than previously. I've never modded my game, and I still get it now and then. Mostly in Novigrad.

What would be the mods responsible?

I got tons of pop ins, sometimes I got soldiers loading once I'm halfway trhough a military encampment. Same for villagers and other npcs.

It seems to be an engine issue. In particular distance rendering for NPCs.
What could HBAO+ have to do with it?
It does not effect objects and foliage etc.

fixing that npcs popups would be great, especially the merchand/trade ones, thats a serious issue
got serious doubts it would be fixed

I dont have a lot of NPC's poppin, or nothing more than plenty of other games, but there's 2 issues that are really annoying :

- Awfully Low-res textures on faces when you fast travel or reload a save
- Disappearing merchants on some situations, mostly on novigrad, like the blacksmith or the armorer. You have to meditate, even if it is just 1 hour, to make them suddently appear where they should be. So this is really annoying when you want to go to the armorer, then the blacksmith : go to blacksmith shop - meditate 1 hour - do your business with him ; go to armorer shop - meditate 1 hour - do your business with him etc.... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom