What's the point of beer and taverns?

+
What's the point of beer and taverns?

Most taverns are just boring. Most of the fist fighting takes place outside instead of in taverns. You can't talk to anyone and drink with them to get information from them. There's no one to play cards with. I want Geralt to have some rowdy fun with some guys in the tavern. Bar fights to break out where you have to fight under the influence of alcohol. Where is all that stuff? I'm carrying so much beer and have no reason to drink it.

It (beer) regenerates vitality. Other than that - you could probably sell it for a few orens?

Would have been nice to get drunk in the inns and brothels though, wouldn't it? Shame, would have added more emersion. It's not like Geralt didn't drink in the books or anything.

I think the first few posts here might be missing the OP's point.

I agree. One of many trade offs from going 'open world'. Stuff is so spread out, it oftan feels like there's only 2-3 people per town that say more than the generic one-liners that get repeated over and over lol.

I personally would have preferred had they gone with a nice, really well done open-area'd, structured style. Similar to the first game, with chapters. I'm probably gonna get flamed on by the masses of Skyrim lovers, that are looking for first person, homes, kill all npcs, companions, etc. That are on the forums currently, though ;p

I really want the taverns to feel more alive too, sure it gets populated differently at different times of the day, but you can't interact. It's a shame, taverns should always be a time to relax, drink, play some games (give us dice poker again, pleeease).

It (beer) regenerates vitality. Other than that - you could probably sell it for a few orens?
It does regenerate vitality, but it also makes you drunk in the process. So you have blurred vision and such. Rather just drink water for that purpose.

alcohol(beer) can be ysed to regenerate potions
As far I know, that it's only hard liquors. Beer doesn't regenerate potions.

I agree. One of many trade offs from going 'open world'. Stuff is so spread out, it oftan feels like there's only 2-3 people per town that say more than the generic one-liners that get repeated over and over lol.

I personally would have preferred had they gone with a nice, really well done open-area'd, structured style. Similar to the first game, with chapters. I'm probably gonna get flamed on by the masses of Skyrim lovers, that are looking for first person, homes, kill all npcs, companions, etc. That are on the forums currently, though ;p
I personally prefer the more "closed/linear" world of the old games. I think that CDPR did the best job that I've ever seen with the open world environment, but it wasn't without cost. This is just one example.

I would even be OK with them just making some of the bigger taverns being more lively. The ones in the cities and major hubs. I understand that making every single tavern be interesting would be tough, but at least a few should be.

I agree with the OP.
A place to sit down in a tavern would be nice. I thought taverns would be similar to the opening sequence tavern in White Orchid.

Linear gameplay...not so much.

I actually really love the open world style of this game (which is surprising to me because I don't normally like open world games, they normally nail the exploration part but then let us down on storytelling and quests and c&c *cough* Skyrim *cough*) but at the same time, what you just said about having it structured like W1 with each area being nice and big also appeals to me aswell, and am not actually sure what I would prefer now for future CDP games.

So far I was too lazy to check, but does replenishing all your potions require one single alcohol item, or each potion requires one?

one replenishes all.

That's kinda bad, I don't have a problem with the refilling system, but this way it's no challenge at all. There's some kind of alcohol in every single random box/chest in the game.

On a second thought, maybe it would be a pain in the ass having to choose which potion to replenish everytime you meditate. :hmm:

Last edited:
That's kinda bad, I don't have a problem with the refilling syrtem, but this way it's no challenge at all. There's some kind of alcohol in every single random box/chest in the game.

Yeah I agree with that, I currently have 97 alcogest on me. If one potion required one alco to replenish, it would become way more interesting and tactical on how and when to use them.

That's kinda bad, I don't have a problem with the refilling system, but this way it's no challenge at all. There's some kind of alcohol in every single random box/chest in the game.
On a second thought, maybe it would be a pain in the ass having to choose which potion to replenish everytime you meditate. :hmm:

indeed, it's quite baffling, maybe at least on harder difficulties it should be that we lose one bottle of hard liquor for EACH item that needs replenishing?

Geralt needs to be able to have a seat and a drink...listen to the gossip, read a book or look at the ladies. Constantly having to stand in the tavern, if so inclined, is annoying as hell...I WANT TO SIT once in a while please!

@whiplash27 @Jonnybear84 don't get me wrong here. This open world is the best I've seen in yeeaars. Since early days(06/07) World of Warcraft, tbh and that's a hefty complement. WoW had an amazing world back then. (in terms of well designed, and immersion, etc).

I just feel they had to make a lot of concessions for doing it like this. If they kept the world. But added a structured flow to it, in the form of maybe chapters or such. So they could have more control, and tailored stuff more, etc. It might make more sense. I personally think these free for all, do what you want types of open worlds are way more suited to sandbox games. When you remove the sandbox elements from it. It just feels a bit detached.

"need to find Ciri before the Wild hunt finds her"...meanwhile "think I'll go explore and look for treasure for six or so hours" lol.

I'm not hating on the open world here, btw. Just saying (imo) that it's not all that suited to the way The Witcher games are done.

Edit: that ended up a bit rant-ish, by bad.

In open world games, only so much detail can be put into an area. What ends up happening is that you have some interesting things in an area, but ultimately, you aren't going to spend much time in one place. Most of the places in the game are very nice and great to explore, but are there any specific locations in the game that really stand out besides the major cities? I never spent more than a few minutes in any other town.

As an example, if Flotsam was in TW3, it would probably just be a little town that you'd walk through in a couple of minutes and never return to.

It is true.. conversations are way less than in a previous Witchers, i see no point of getting drunk eather, like in W1 when you simply go to party with friends or some other drunkies to drink for sport...

Top Bottom