What's up with the awful difficulty design now?

+
You'd have to cap base damage too. Base damage could never exceed this 75% value. It would have to be capped much lower to ensure critical hits actually work.
That's more or less what I'm saying. The function would work sort of like this:

Enemy Sniper can do 120-300 damage. Critical hit is 3x damage rolled, so 360-900 damage.

Player Character A has 500 health.

Player Character B has 800 health.

Player Character C has 1,500 health.

By default, no single attack will be allowed to do more than 75% of a players max health. So, if the enemy sniper fires and gets a critical hit for (280)3 = 840 damage:

Player Character A would suffer only 375 damage, leaving them with 125 health.

Player Character B would suffer only 600 damage, leaving them with 200 health.

Player Character C would suffer the full 840 damage, leaving them with 660 health. (An attack against this character would need to do at least 1,126 damage to trigger the effect.)

Thus the game will scale just that one attack. So, Player Character A can never suffer more than 375 damage from a single attack, but if they get hit with another attack for, say, 210 damage, they'll take the full amount, leaving them with -95 health: dead.

This would not really make the game any easier, it would simply avoid scenarios where the player is killed outright without even getting a chance to react to the situation.

Last edited:
That's more or less what I'm saying. The function would work sort of like this:

Enemy Sniper can do 120-300 damage. Critical hit is 3x damage rolled, so 360-900 damage.

Player Character A has 500 health.

Player Character B has 800 health.

Player Character C has 1,500 health.

By default, no single attack will be allowed to do more than 25% of a players max health. So, if the enemy sniper fires and gets a critical hit for (280)3 = 840 damage:

Player Character A would suffer only 375 damage, leaving them with 125 health.

Player Character B would suffer only 600 damage, leaving them with 200 health.

Player Character C would suffer the full 840 damage, leaving them with 660 health. (An attack against this character would need to do at least 1,126 damage to trigger the effect.)

Thus the game will scale just that one attack. So, Player Character A can never suffer more than 375 damage from a single attack, but if they get hit with another attack for, say, 210 damage, they'll take the full amount, leaving them with -95 health: dead.

This would not really make the game any easier, it would simply avoid scenarios where the player is killed outright without even getting a chance to react to the situation.
Not sure :(
It would make the game way easier, in my opinion. Just jump into fight, you're almost sure to not die quickly and in the worst case, spam health items. You can avoid the step : be aware of your environnement for avoiding to be kill directly (which is a part of the gameplay, if you ask me).
Post automatically merged:

In fact, for me if you die because you didn't see a sniper, it's the same as if you die because you didn't see a mine and walk on it... You have to pay more attention about what it's around you :)

Last edited:
It would make the game way easier, in my opinion. Just jump into fight, you're almost sure to not die quickly and in the worst case, spam health items. You can avoid the step : be aware of your environnement for avoiding to be kill directly (which is a part of the gameplay, if you ask me).

In fact, for me if you die because you didn't see a sniper, it's the same as if you die because you didn't see a mine and walk on it... You have to pay more attention about what it's around you :)

The only thing I can understand about players that do not want to experience the realistic combat event of being sucker punched in a battle are those that hate the sudden halt and reloading the save game.

I guess there is some merit to that if that is the case.

I suppose I am use to it from my RL Sport Combat events where you can drive 6 hours to get to a "WAR" (that is what we called our tournaments where 100s of fighters battle all at once like a medieval war) and then possibly get hit (if you were not being very careful ) in the back of the head with an arrow (we use bird blunts on the arrows) killing you instantly. Then you had to wait for an hour before the next battle started.

For us that is war, it never changes. ;)

Last edited:
I like that snipers can one shot me out of nowhere, only it isn't out of nowhere, If I take the time to properly scope out an area and make a plan I can take care of them. I am not sure what other difficulties are like I think getting one shot on normal should be a no no, but on very hard I like to be punished for mistakes and not preparing correctly.

There are meds you can take to buff up your HP if you are getting one shot. I can one shot the enemies, why shouldn't they be able to one shot me?

I really enjoy fallout 4 on survival, I got to know my chems and weapons. I'd just pick one of fudge-muppets builds and go at it.

Same goes when melee, the rule is, never plan your melee near explosives

I like that snipers can one shot me out of nowhere, only it isn't out of nowhere, If I take the time to properly scope out an area and make a plan I can take care of them. I am not sure what other difficulties are like I think getting one shot on normal should be a no no, but on very hard I like to be punished for mistakes and not preparing correctly.

Yes, right... (y)

I think I am level 140 or so in Fallout 4 now and have a jet pack. So I was getting a heck of a lot of one shot kills with my sniper riffle from on top of roofs. This made me realize the NPC almost never did the same thing to me.

This resulted in me having no fear and I was getting sloppy skipping through the wasteland looking for parts for my car making projects. So I added a sniper system to the game to randomly put top notch enemy snipers on roofs in the wasteland.

Now not only is the wasteland dangerous again but I find I do not fly around as much and stick to the ground more going from cover to cover and being careful to look for the sniper. Then get around to geometric advantage to take them out before they take me out.

Still I am not blind to the fact that is a TYPE of game play. I can see how others may want to scurry the bullet hell and gun and run for the adrenaline, and so getting sucker punched in the middle of that can throw a wet blanket on the dopamine rush.

However it is not fair to call that realistic, players should call it what it is, just the kind of game they want to play. There is nothing wrong with that at all. Like getting ganged up on by a large group of giggling a$$-hos in Fallout 76 is also realistic but not the game I want to play. In the combat sports group I was in when a battle got down to one person on one side but many still on the other they would often ask for what is called “honorable combat”. Each fighter still alive would take turns one at a time trying to kill the last man standing. In RL medieval war that actually did happen depending on the politics of the war. So it is also realistic AND the game we prefer to play.

I do not want to forget that this is only a good thing if both the NPC and player have the same ability to one shot each other. If Cyberpunk 2077 is throwing a lot of one shot kill snipers at you when you do not have the same ability and you are not in a zone that you should not be in, then yes I agree there is a problem with the difficulty in the game.

Last edited:

Well, the mine doesn't track you down or walk around a corner to aim and fire at you from behind. If I fail to notice a tripwire or something -- that would be a trap! A player has total control over that. A player has no control over an enemy that might fire at them once and cause a few hundred points of damage...or over 1,000 damage.

Besides, all of the characters above can still be killed in two hits. The only difference is that with the safeguard in place, Player A and B cannot be killed in a single hit. (Since it's not wildly common for that to happen in CP2077 to begin with...why let it happen at all?) I wouldn't say every character getting a single-shot reprieve and having their health knocked down to 25% in a split second would really make anything "easier" in that sort of situation -- simply possible.

The only thing I can understand about players that do not want to experience the realistic combat event of being sucker punched in a battle are those that hate reloading the save game.
Yeah -- this would be the difference between one experience and the next. There's no "narrative" inherent in something like a reenactment or SCA tournament. In ArmA, there is a "story", but it's largely just an excuse to create set-piece battles and focus on a modern infantry simulation. In games like Warhammer, the stories are just a backdrop to engage in cool tabletop battles with awesome, little miniatures. In Elden Ring, you're supposed to die and respawn constantly -- that's how you learn different enemies and bosses.

There's no pacing to break in games like that. There's no storyline to interrupt or lack of progression to experience if you win or lose certain engagements.

Cyberpunk is primarily focused on a narrative arc. Too much reloading / replaying of the same encounter starts to get old much more quickly, as well as throw the player's concentration off or ruin the sense of continuity. Being simply killed out of nowhere for no apparent reason and losing perhaps a significant amount of progress -- all because an RNG decided to roll high? That's enough to dispel the entire illusion and kill any motivation to continue playing, at least for that session.

Well, the mine doesn't track you down or walk around a corner to aim and fire at you from behind. If I fail to notice a tripwire or something -- that would be a trap! A player has total control over that. A player has no control over an enemy that might fire at them once and cause a few hundred points of damage...or over 1,000 damage.

Besides, all of the characters above can still be killed in two hits. The only difference is that with the safeguard in place, Player A and B cannot be killed in a single hit. (Since it's not wildly common for that to happen in CP2077 to begin with...why let it happen at all?) I wouldn't say every character getting a single-shot reprieve and having their health knocked down to 25% in a split second would really make anything "easier" in that sort of situation -- simply possible.

Yeah -- this would be the difference between one experience and the next. There's no "narrative" inherent in something like a reenactment or SCA tournament. In ArmA, there is a "story", but it's largely just an excuse to create set-piece battles and focus on a modern infantry simulation. In games like Warhammer, the stories are just a backdrop to engage in cool tabletop battles with awesome, little miniatures. In Elden Ring, you're supposed to die and respawn constantly -- that's how you learn different enemies and bosses.

There's no pacing to break in games like that. There's no storyline to interrupt or lack of progression to experience if you win or lose certain engagements.

Cyberpunk is primarily focused on a narrative arc. Too much reloading / replaying of the same encounter starts to get old much more quickly, as well as throw the player's concentration off or ruin the sense of continuity. Being simply killed out of nowhere for no apparent reason and losing perhaps a significant amount of progress -- all because an RNG decided to roll high? That's enough to dispel the entire illusion and kill any motivation to continue playing, at least for that session.

When discussing similar issue one of my combat mod users for Oblivion (in my feedback on Nexuses)
said it like this: "Reloading the game is not immersive!" :D *

I have been wondering when a DEV would make a game that INCLUDED player death into the game so there would be no reloading by the player and instead the death was part of the gameplay and story. I guess dark souls (or was it Death stranding?) did something like that no?

*wish this forum had the head nod "yes" icon.

A player has no control over an enemy that might fire at them once and cause a few hundred points of damage...or over 1,000 damage.
Hum... You can deal 1K damage, but enemies can too. It's "fair".
If you see an enemies with an HMG or a sniper, you "know" that you have to keep an eye on him and maybe kill him at first.

Since it's not wildly common for that to happen in CP2077 to begin with...
Maybe you didn't play the game now in 1.5 in very hard. At the beginning, it happen to me quite "often" (if it's not a "single" shoot, it two in less than a second or a simple "Ninja" who "jump on me" with his sandevistan and slice me in one or two hit^^).

But yeah, that a part of the gameplay too... With my build level 30, for example (totally oriented high stealth damages, so less than 400 armor and 260 health, but high damages bonus), before engaging a fight in the Badlands, where generally there is no cover... I try find an evasion plan if the "things" turn badly... (or I accept to die).

And honestly, an enemy which take you by surprise in the middle of the fight, it's quite "good". It mean that the AI is already "smart" enough to doing things that you can't really predict (predictable "AI" is a bad AI or even not an AI, in my opinion). For me, enemies were "improved" in 1.5, because they really can turn around a whole building to shoot you on your back... Instead of stay in your line of sight waiting to be killed :)
I prefer to die because of an enemy who took me from behind because I was focused on his buddies and I didn't see him, than to die because I didn't dodge an attack at the right time.

Anyway, for those who don't like to be killed in a single shot, there is a "Normal mode" or even an "Easy mode" (I suppose that you can't be killed in one shot in these mode). Or even for those who "persist" to play in "Very Hard" nevertheless, there is whole BODY attribute which increase the health, health regen and allow to install a cyberware to cheat death one time regularely :)

PS : I repeat again, I'm not a gamer who especially like the difficulty, Cyberpunk is almost the only game that I play in the highest difficulty (even with bad skills like me, Cyberpunk allow to play in high difficulty by simply using the advantages available. When I die, it's not matter of RNG at all).

Last edited:
I don't see any issue with the damages according to difficulty on gun fights. The harder the difficulty the more fast/sneaky you will need to kill the enemies.

I do have a complain about fist fights, they are kinda like playing Elden Ring (learn the enemy attacks and spot the open doors between them) but in Cyberpunk for some reason the NPC don't give a fuck about mechanics and animations, resulting on skip animations and ignoring counters/hard hits. This means on high difficulty and with builds not fully made for fist fights the NPC enemies can one/two shot by mistakes I make but it's not fair for stuff like countering the NPC and him skipping the stagger animation and instantly starting a streak of punches on me while I'm still locked on the counter animation that is supposed to be blocking him. Getting damage anyways even if the counter was succesful, or even getting attacked and instantly skip the animation as soon as I get hit, receiving multiple attacks like if I was fighting a super saiyan.

I feel like it's so inconsistent it's just not enjoyable at all. This would be a very fun part of the game, specially for ppl who like Dark Souls and Elden Ring games. It's good to be able to win a hard enemy having to be precise and not making mistakes but this is impossible if NPCs just ignore the mechanics you are forced to play with (finishing animations and taking counters / stagger hits).

Here is a clip I made after trying to beat Buck without a physical build and without the droping melee weapon exploit at Very Hard difficulty: Clip
This is basically what happens, He launches his charge punch, I counter him properly but I take the damage anyway also he instantly skips the animation while I'm still on the counter animation and starts to punch me making it impossible to dodge or counter losing the fight cause I'm doing what im supposed to do if I don't have enough stats to win by brute force.

Last edited:
Snip
Here is a clip I made after trying to beat Buck: Clip
Snip

Ouch, that is very disappointing. Yes after a few of the boxing quest fights I found it so bad that I completely ignored H2H and just made myself forget you could even do H2H in this game. I think I decided to let H2H sit on the back burner until official mod tools came out and then I would look into it or hopefully some better mod maker than I will as the issues may be too deep in the hardcode (and the hit frames of the animations).

The first TES mod I ever made was to remove the silly block recoil and make block absorb 99 percent damage so that only powerful enemies like giants or very skill enemies would be able to hurt you through your block.

I always forget that Bethesda likes doing that block recoil silliness each time I buy their next new game. I hope I will still be able to correct this in Starfield.

Last edited:
I have been wondering when a DEV would make a game that INCLUDED player death into the game so there would be no reloading by the player and instead the death was part of the gameplay and story. I guess dark souls (or was it Death stranding?) did something like that no?
you might like to play Hellblade: Senuas sacrifice. I would say it is true that the story incorporates player death, perhaps not quite as you envision it but it is used. I think senua is a pict, she's on her way to helheim

8-9 hours I think from beginning to end, not a long game but it's an intense experience playing on psychosis and fears etc, defiantly play with headphones and as good a sound as you can muster

Planescape Torment?, you can only die and lose the game at the final level and still the number of deaths is determined by previous player actions...the whole game is designed with that in mind.

So remind me again, Cyberpunk does NOT have LD? I mean I thought that they at least had head shots in this game? That surprises me if they do not as they make a big deal about the characters body parts concerning armor, implants and the entire deal with Skippy only hitting head shots.
As far as I know it does distinguish between headshots and non-headshots. I do not believe there is a distinction anywhere else. I question throwing critical hit chance into the mix on top. The mechanics serve the same function. They designate specific locations on the target as more or less important.

In CP's case it would appear they're using both to add even more variance. I don't think the game needs this added variance. I don't think it fits the rest of the combat mechanics either. Most importantly, I don't think it makes the gameplay better.

It's not the end of the world or a critical problem. The game will get slapped around like the ragdoll either way. That's the nature of 99.9% of SP games. If one wants a fair and challenging experience the best option is what it has always been. A competitive MP game. But... disliking how it works and being able to deal with it aren't mutually exclusive.

The quotation marks over "fair" suggest that you actually know how wrong you are. Enemies have about 15 times more health on average.

my build level 30, for example (totally oriented high stealth damages (...)

It is no coincidence that many of the CPDefenders in this thread admitted they primarily do stealth. Stealth is the most trivial AI abuse in this game.

And that is in fact an argument against what you argue for. The wild rng of 1.5 is a cheap solution to the mountain of ridicule CDPR got over the trivially easy and abusable difficulty of their base game. But it's no solution at all. It only forces players to abuse the half-baked game mechanics even more. By - I quote - "stealth damages." Or in general by easily abusing the system to put yourself in situations where the stupid AI can't hurt you. This is NOT A GOOD DIFFICULTY DESIGN OR GAMEPLAY DESIGN.

It makes me think of Elden Ring's Haligtree section where you get a platform with a tree guardian and two knights. Unless you overlevel, cheese one of the op weapon arts or Azur Comet or whatever, and kill everything before it moves, it's hardly sane to try and take that on on your average joe melee build. So the player is forced to aggro-cheese the knights one by one down the ladder. This is a stupid enemy placement design that forces players to cheese.

And make no mistake, 1.0 or 1.5 or whatever, stealth in CP77 is kinda cheese. As long as you can deal damage uninteractively, and it takes no skill or effort to remain uninteractive - that is nothing but cheese. So all those arguments on the aspects CP difficulty by CP77 netrunning players are imo null.

When discussing similar issue one of my combat mod users for Oblivion (in my feedback on Nexuses)
said it like this: "Reloading the game is not immersive!" :D *

*wish this forum had the head nod "yes" icon.
For me, the deciding factor is if I know why I died and I can figure out what I need to differently in order to succeed. I have no trouble playing through a really tough combat engagement several times while I simply figure things out and try not to make any mistakes. Conversely, when I can reload 5 or so times and come to the conclusion that the enemy is simply "rolling" better than I am, and there's nothing I can do besides try again and hope to get luckier -- that means I'm about to put the game down. (To be fair, most games manage to keep this balanced enough that I've rarely gotten to that point, but they are out there.)

If you see an enemies with an HMG or a sniper, you "know" that you have to keep an eye on him and maybe kill him at first.
It's one of those moments where "fair" is not always "equal". Any game's combat needs to be balanced against its other parts. If RNG is involved in a narrative-focused experience, then the pacing of the story needs to be set against the challenge of the combat. Lots to think about:
  • Too much combat, the story starts to feel tacked on. Too little, and the game just seems to be cutscenes interrupted by short combat sequences.
  • Combat is too complex, it's hard to follow the story at all because concentration is absorbed with gameplay mechanics. Combat is too simplistic, and the story seems to carry no real weight, as it's not reflected in the gameplay.
  • If I reload and see the same parts too much, the urgency and sense of pacing in the narrative evaporates. If I can just breeze through all combat encounters, like above, it creates a real feeling of listlessness and disconnection from the dramatic action.
Of course, where the "ideal" balance lies will be different for everyone. In general, most games will do plenty of things to aid the player in obvious and not-so-obvious ways. It could be using lighting to draw the eye and give the player a visual cue as to where they need to go next...or an actual floating marker in the gameworld pointing directly at it. Games will often use distinct audio to let the player know they're in danger, whether the clicks of bullets going by in ArmA...or combat music ramping up before any enemies are in sight like in Bethesda games. Players have inventories that let them carry a small arsenal of weapons around with them, and equip sometimes 10 or more at a button press...and they also have the ability to miraculously heal from gunshots in a matter of seconds without even losing simple mobility.

What does allowing the AI to one-shot a player add to this experience except wasting the player's time and adding frustration? I mean...if I can just reload anyway...with absolutely no penalty...

Maybe you didn't play the game now in 1.5 in very hard. At the beginning, it happen to me quite "often" (if it's not a "single" shoot, it two in less than a second or a simple "Ninja" who "jump on me" with his sandevistan and slice me in one or two hit^^).

But yeah, that a part of the gameplay too... With my build level 30, for example (totally oriented high stealth damages, so less than 400 armor and 260 health, but high damages bonus), before engaging a fight in the Badlands, where generally there is no cover... I try find an evasion plan if the "things" turn badly... (or I accept to die).

And honestly, an enemy which take you by surprise in the middle of the fight, it's quite "good". It mean that the AI is already "smart" enough to doing things that you can't really predict (predictable "AI" is a bad AI or even not an AI, in my opinion). For me, enemies were "improved" in 1.5, because they really can turn around a whole building to shoot you on your back... Instead of stay in your line of sight waiting to be killed :)
I prefer to die because of an enemy who took me from behind because I was focused on his buddies and I didn't see him, than to die because I didn't dodge an attack at the right time.

Anyway, for those who don't like to be killed in a single shot, there is a "Normal mode" or even an "Easy mode" (I suppose that you can't be killed in one shot in these mode). Or even for those who "persist" to play in "Very Hard" nevertheless, there is whole BODY attribute which increase the health, health regen and allow to install a cyberware to cheat death one time regularely :)

PS : I repeat again, I'm not a gamer who especially like the difficulty, Cyberpunk is almost the only game that I play in the highest difficulty (even with bad skills like me, Cyberpunk allow to play in high difficulty by simply using the advantages available. When I die, it's not matter of RNG at all).
I played in Hard when I did mine. I'll probably stick with that for the next one as well. I'm normally not a fan of the hardest difficulty with most games as it normally results in simply increased health for enemies, which to me gets boring really quickly. My version of "really hard" are games like the original Rainbow Six (1998), where everyone can outright die in one shot. Or something like Star Trek Starfleet Command, which really challenges players to think outside the box to get through certain scenarios.

The enjoyment I find from RPGs doesn't come from "challenge". And to be fair, I'll admit again, despite the stance I'm taking here, I did not have any trouble with combat encounters in CP2077. I did find some of them to be interesting, and I did make mistakes. The only real frustration I felt at times was from bugs (especially cameras returning to life after being destroyed, or some enemy seeing me through a wall or something). To me, the enjoyment comes from the immersion. Playing my role. Trying to keep my hands clean, but getting them dirty anyway. Having that sense of accomplishment when I complete a mission on the first attempt in a really slick way.

Whenever something happens in a game like this that makes me reload repeatedly, not because I'm doing anything wrong, but because I'm just being out-rolled, that kills it for me. I didn't mind being one-shot too much for my character, because I was primarily stealth -- I wasn't supposed to be seen at all. If that were happening to me regularly as a fighter character, you bet I'd be annoyed. It's more or less invalidating my character:
What is the legendary armor for? What is the subdermal armor for? What is are perks like Steel Shell or Invincible for? What's any of it for if I can just be insta-gibbed by a lucky shot?

What does allowing the AI to one-shot a player add to this experience except wasting the player's time and adding frustration? I mean...if I can just reload anyway...with absolutely no penalty...
I was thinking about that :)

Even if I can reload, I always keep in mind that if I don't pay attention, I could die right away. So before each fight (less now after tens playthroughs...), I use Ping, mark all the enemies, maybe Optics Jammer daemon or/and kill silently/at first, the big dude with an HMG (or the sniper).
Speaking of snipers, you can also install cyberwares which slowing time when an enemy see you. So even if you don't see a sniper directly, at the moment that he "see" you, you always have few seconds where the time is "slowed" to "doing" something (take cover, shoot him first, run away,...).

And again, I speak about Cyberpunk, a game where if you die with a single bullet, it's not RNG nor a "bad luck". It's mostly (even almost always) you simply made a mistake, like :
  • You didn't see a sniper before the fight.
  • You start a combat with many enemies with no cover around.
  • Or during the fight, you didn't see the "shotgun dude" who turn around the building to shot you on the back from few meters.
  • You take cover near explosive devices
In short, Cyberpunk is not BD3 where you can fight in "barbarian" mode counting on your shield/health regen and run/jump everywhere for avoid enemies :)

It's funny that you speak about Raimbow Six, because that the game that I had in mind too and I love it (Raimbow Six 3 on the first xbox). You take a look through the keyhole to see where the enemies and the hostages are, throw a flash grenade to have time to eliminate them by avoiding killing the hostages and being killed. Basically, you prepare the "ground" before the assault. It's little bit the same in Cyberpunk, without a strong BODY build, you have to prepare at least a little, each fight to avoid to be killed quickly.

The only very frustrating moment that I have with Cyberpunk was during Beat On The Brat during my first playthrough. It was not fun at all, because I simply missed one counter or dodge, I'm down... I suppose, it's why I don't really like Souls games and many players really like them. Souls games are not my kind of games and, maybe Cyberpunk is not their kind of games either (matter of tastes) :)

Last edited:
And again, I speak about Cyberpunk, a game where if you die with a single bullet, it's not RNG nor a "bad luck". It's mostly (even almost always) you simply made a mistake, like :
  • You didn't see a sniper before the fight.
  • You start a combat with many enemies with no cover around.
  • Or during the fight, you didn't see the "shotgun dude" who turn around the building to shot you on the back from few meters.
  • You take cover near explosive devices
These are all valid points, which I've raised as well, but they don't negate the fact that the AI can and will kill the player outright, from full health to zero, with no chance for the player to react. The focus of the complaint is not about the potential or possibility for other outcomes -- it's about the validity of this outcome. (Or rather, fire prevention / no fires in that area does not negate fire threat / definite fires in this area.)

Let me first clarify what I mean about having no real issue with other game designs allowing insta-kills against the player:
  • Rainbow Six -- the player is primarily tasked with developing a plan to have up to 4 teams accomplish mission goals in a lethal environment. Everyone can be downed in one shot, no matter what. (Whether a soldier actually dies is up to their armor, but they're instantly on the ground if they're hit during a mission. Same with the enemies. So that's 100% level ground.) The main focus of the game is not to "tell a story" or "develop a narrative arc". It's a totally different type of gameplay -- it's this:
1648565622124.png

• SoulsBorne -- the player is responsible for overcoming nearly impossible odds by learning through failure. That's the core design of the games. How was I to know there was some crazy enemy that would drop from the ceiling in complete darkness!? You weren't. That was your clue. - YOU DIED - Instantly and out of nowhere! Now...you know. And it will be exactly the same the next time you respawn, and the next time, and the next, and the next...it will never change. You must now deal with that reality and find a way to avoid or defeat that enemy, and that approach will then work 100% of the time. It's a defined challenge with a 100% solution. Every time. Dying instantly is supposed to happen. The main focus of the game is not about "telling a story" or "developing a narrative arc". It's primarily about free-form exploration, learning through memorization and repetition, and developing a unique playstyle.
  • Warhammer 40K Strategy/Tactical (tabletop, Battlesector, Armageddon, etc.) -- the player is responsible for commanding whole groups of units, and there are definitely attacks that can insta-kill even very powerful units. That's part of every battle scenario. It is partially based on RNG, but it's the same for the enemy. It boils down to tactics. Miss a trick -- leave a unit exposed -- and they might be instantly killed. But that's not the end of the battle. Wins can still be pulled off by clever maneuvers or by fulfilling command point objectives, etc. The main focus of the game is not to "tell a story" or "develop a narrative arc". It's about learning to utilize the strengths and weaknesses of your army to its maximum potential to win individual scenarios.
But then we have Role-Playing Games. While the games above may involve some level of story telling and narrative arcs -- that's a backdrop -- not a main consideration for that design of game. For an RPG, the narrative is front and center. The main focus is not purely combat-centric, like a SoulsBorne, or to just grab up crazy piles of loot, like Diablo or Borderlands -- it's to become a character in a much larger world, progressing through a series of adventures to achieve goals that will further that character's narrative in that universe. There's now a sense of pacing and progression that needs to be balanced in order to deliver evocative gameplay. Anything that robs the player of that experience is going to wind up having a negative impact on the overall game.

I should also see the game recognize the role my character decided to play. If, in Cyberpunk 2077, I specifically design a solo character to be a one-man army, borged up with the best, most robust gear, and top-tier weapons -- nothing -- and I mean absolutely nothing -- should be able to one-shot my character. That completely invalidates the options provided to me for that character role.

Let's switch over to tabletop for a second, where RPGs began. Let's talk about the GM that simply drowns the characters in enemies that are way too hard for their level, or will toss a game session out the window because they happened to roll three natural 20s in a row, killing three of the player characters outright in rapid succession -- all in a single turn.

A terrible GM would sit there and go, "Ha -- I am the best GM ever! My game is legendarily hard, and no one will ever be able to beat this!"

A mediocre GM would go, "Okay...why don't we restart this combat encounter. That was unlucky, I guess. Next time will probably be better. Heh-heh..."

A good GM would go, "Despite that swing nearly taking your head off...something seems to be watching out for you. You trip and tumble over backwards, the blade of the axe nearly scalping you. Take 3 points of damage and you're knocked prone. But, the blade of the monster lodges in the wall. You glance quickly at the forms of your two companions lying motionless on the floor near you. Now is your chance." And this scenario will carry on. A good GM would recognize that a string of bad luck like that can utterly kill any sense of enjoyment or forward momentum for the campaign. They'll slip a resurrection potion into the loot. The players can now revive one, but not both, of their fallen companions, see to their dead comrade, and then decide if they're going to risk pushing on or regroup someplace and try to regather their strength. An emergent and memorable scenario that will carry forward into the developing story.

A computer can't do that.

What the computer can do is:
The player is shot with a sniper round from above and behind. They're left with a finger of health. They dive for cover off to the side and pop a healing stim. An enemy follows them around the corner, and the player lights them up at point-blank range. Crack! Another sniper round hits the cover right over their head. They can hear the enemies starting to flank. Pulling a grenade out, they lob it at the catwalk the sniper is firing from, then dash for the far side of the room, sliding into cover. They use Kerenzikov to line up a headshot on the fleeing sniper, and -- bingo. Now for the rest. (<--- This is all impossible if the game goes: RNG = CRITICAL HIT! -Game Over- Main Menu? Reload Last Save?)

So, under the present RNG system, what we can be left with in a game like Cyberpunk...or Divinity Original Sin...or Pillars of Eternity...or Dragon Age / Mass Effect is:
Reload save. Shoot.
Reload save. Darn it.
Reload save. Oh, come on!
Reload save. Are you kidding?
Reload save. This is stupid.
Reload save. Oh -- I almost had them!
Reload save. Son of a...
Reload save. I don't even remember why I'm doing this mission.
Reload save. Gimme a break.
Reload save. I'm done with this.

And (I'm just going to keep saying this), I personally didn't have any trouble like this in the game. You didn't have any trouble like this in the game. Many others here didn't have any trouble like this in the game.

But that does not invalidate people that did run into trouble like this. Regardless of arguments that go, "Well, I didn't play like that, so..." it still remains absolutely true that any player who decides to take things aggressively, despite specifically building for that approach, can and will be killed in one shot, invalidating the entire approach and all of the skills, perks, and gear that go along with it...all because of...RNG. We can surely do better.

(Also, I highly doubt anything will be done here by CDPR to completely revamp the combat system at this point. If anything, I found the combat to be far too easy after a certain point, but still fun! It's just a discussion on the core approach to designing combat systems in general for games of this type.)

Last edited:
I should also see the game recognize the role my character decided to play. If, in Cyberpunk 2077, I specifically design a solo character to be a one-man army, borged up with the best, most robust gear, and top-tier weapons -- nothing -- and I mean absolutely nothing -- should be able to one-shot my character. That completely invalidates the options provided to me for that character design path.
Honeslty, if you have this kind of build (Solo), nothing can one shot you. In lower difficulties, that's for sure. And even in higher difficulties with a BODY build, there is a cyberware to ressurect you and restaure 100% of health every 2 minutes (so every two minutes, you are able to cheat death again, again and again...). If someone die two times in less than 2 minutes, there is something wrong, in my opinion :(
So, if that's the system, what we're left with in a game like Cyberpunk...or Divinity Original Sin...or Pillars of Eternity...or Dragon Age / Mass Effect is:
Reload save. Shoot.
Reload save. Darn it.
Reload save. Oh, come on!
Reload save. Are you kidding?
Reload save. This is stupid.
Reload save. Oh -- I almost had them!
Reload save. Son of a...
Reload save. I don't even remember why I'm doing this mission.
Reload save. Gimme a break.
Reload save. I'm done with this.
For me, TW3 (Death March difficulty during the whole game) when facing Dettlaff in the final fight :
  • 1 - first try, I'm dead almost directly.
  • 2 - Reload : also dead.
  • 3 - Reload : also dead.
  • 4 - Fine... reload and switch to "normal" : I kill him.
I'm not ashamed to say it and I think those who have a problem with instant death in cyberpunk should do the same, lower the difficulty level and it won't happen again. In easy and normal, with a "body build", you're almost invincible. If you choose "hard or very hard" difficulties, players make a choice and assume the fact that they could die easily and with a single shot. For those would want enjoy primarly the story, these modes of difficulty are here for that (like story/easy modes in other games) :)
(like me when I play DOS2 in tactician mode, I can be literally destroyed in a fight in one or two turn and I can't do anything against... it could happen^^)

Last edited:
And (I'm just going to keep saying this), I personally didn't have any trouble like this in the game. You didn't have any trouble like this in the game. Many others here didn't have any trouble like this in the game.

But that does not invalidate people that did run into trouble like this. Regardless of arguments that go, "Well, I didn't play like that, so..." it still remains absolutely true that any player who decides to take things aggressively, despite specifically building for that approach, can and will be killed in one shot, invalidating the entire approach and all of the skills, perks, and gear that go along with it...all because of...RNG. We can surely do better.
To add to this, having trouble with it can get a little off-point depending on why such gameplay is being criticized. If it's acting as a roadblock for the player it would apply. It's possible it isn't though. They can handle it but dislike the need to do so in the first place.
For me, TW3 (Death March difficulty during the whole game) when facing Dettlaff in the final fight :
  • 1 - first try, I'm dead almost directly.
  • 2 - Reload : also dead.
  • 3 - Reload : also dead.
  • 4 - Fine... reload and switch to "normal" : I kill him.
I'm not ashamed to say it and I think those who have a problem with instant death in cyberpunk should do the same, lower the difficulty level and it won't happen again. In easy and normal, with a "body build", you're almost invincible. If you choose "hard or very hard" difficulties, players make a choice and assume the fact that they could die easily and with a single shot :)
(like me when I play DOS2 in tactician mode, I can be literally destroyed in a fight in one or two turn and I can't do anything against... it could happen^^)
Let me guess, it was the bat attack? I ask because Dettlaff is clearly tuned around avoiding this ability. It's common behavior with difficulty numbers tuning. On harder difficulties such abilities force an attempt, die, repeat loop until the player figures it out. Then it stops being a hurdle. On easier difficulties the player can just eat it.

The second part of these comments isn't necessarily a good thing either. The player becomes invincible. Sure, this means they can pass the encounters. It's not really good design though.

Top Bottom