Whats with this Obessions Over the Police?

+

How Often Are You In Trouble with the N.C. Police?

• Never. I'm a model citizen whenever the cops are around.

Votes: 20 16.0%
  • Rarely. I stood too close to them one time.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • Sometimes. Bystanders keep getting caught in the crossfire.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • Often. Anyone in my way is fair game.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • I have cyberpsychosis.

Votes: 9 7.2%

• Total voters
At 2 minutes in he walks past cops busy at a crimescene and they are hostile towards him. Less than a minute later he runs past them again, ignoring them completely and they aggro again, he only barely escapes as he fast travels. This isnt "staring at some tough guy" (Its a city, people will stand at look at a crimescene, its normal human behaviour and we here have a name for it; 'disastertourist'), this is cops getting aggressive towards random people for no reason. Imagine these cops going aggressive against every single pedestrian, they'd be there forever to handle that case. This isnt normal at all, it certainly isnt how I expect police in NC to behave.

I have myself had a situation, where I was walking back to V's appartment, I was on the pavement on the middle 'island' where all other civilians were, a police officer on the other side of the street on a traffic stop goes into search mode, crosses the street 'looking for me' and then becomes hostile to me and bang; warrant issued. For what? walking on the pavement? ... I never looked at him, never drew my weapon, it was early in game and I had not harmed anyone, I was walking among other pedestrians. I had to run away(thats the only way to get rid of them), away from the appartment I wanted to go to, because you cant use the elevator if you have a warrant against you.
That is not normal behaviour at all.

I'm done talking about it, to be honest, the evidence is pretty hard to ignore. There is absolutely nothing normal about how the NCPD behaves and making them spawn 50 yards away didnt change that. The proof of their problematic behaviour is available on Youtube in many many video's of people who streamed the game. I suggest you go check it out if you still disagree.

At 2 minutes in he walks past cops busy at a crimescene and they are hostile towards him. Less than a minute later he runs past them again, ignoring them completely and they aggro again, he only barely escapes as he fast travels. This isnt "staring at some tough guy" (Its a city, people will stand at look at a crimescene, its normal human behaviour and we here have a name for it; 'disastertourist'), this is cops getting aggressive towards random people for no reason. Imagine these cops going aggressive against every single pedestrian, they'd be there forever to handle that case. This isnt normal at all, it certainly isnt how I expect police in NC to behave.

I have myself had a situation, where I was walking back to V's appartment, I was on the pavement on the middle 'island' where all other civilians were, a police officer on the other side of the street on a traffic stop goes into search mode, crosses the street 'looking for me' and then becomes hostile to me and bang; warrant issued. For what? walking on the pavement? ... I never looked at him, never drew my weapon, it was early in game and I had not harmed anyone, I was walking among other pedestrians. I had to run away(thats the only way to get rid of them), away from the appartment I wanted to go to, because you cant use the elevator if you have a warrant against you.
That is not normal behaviour at all.

I'm done talking about it, to be honest, the evidence is pretty hard to ignore. There is absolutely nothing normal about how the NCPD behaves and making them spawn 50 yards away didnt change that. The proof of their problematic behaviour is available on Youtube in many many video's of people who streamed the game. I suggest you go check it out if you still disagree.

the dude in the video uses hyper cybernetics while the cops are staring at him. They get alarmed. He is still able to easily get out of it.

yes using powerful cyberware is seen as an act of aggression. sandevistan use from the outside looks like when people do that hyper dash. Doing any unpredictable behavior around cops is a bad idea for certain people, this may seem crazy to you based on your life experience, but it is not a stretch at all.

The cops don't trust you and are waiting for a reason to kill you, thats NC. This is intentionally the case in this game.

I don't know if in your personal experience you caught a bug or what, but I'm talking about when things work as intended.

as an aside. I was also surprised when cops and people agro from hover/super jump. Then I realized that to everyone else you look like, and might in fact be a cyberpsycho. Who else do you see using super cybernetic abilities? You realize tweeked cybernetic people can kill you as fast as a dude with a gun right?

The cops don't trust you and are waiting for a reason to kill you, thats NC. This is intentionally the case in this game.
Official source? That's fine if it is your opinion, but if CDPR have officially said as much, I would like to see it. All of this could, of course, be cleared up by some communication from CDPR, but instead resources seem to be going in to those articles about NPCs in the game which people are jumping all over for hints at DLC when it is just as likely that they are simply marketing's attempts to keep some buzz about this game alive.

the dude in the video uses hyper cybernetics while the cops are staring at him. They get alarmed. He is still able to easily get out of it.

yes using powerful cyberware is seen as an act of aggression. sandevistan use from the outside looks like when people do that hyper dash. Doing any unpredictable behavior around cops is a bad idea for certain people, this may seem crazy to you based on your life experience, but it is not a stretch at all.

I don't know if in your personal experience you caught a bug or what, but I'm talking about when things work as intended.

as an aside. I was also surprised when cops and people agro from hover/super jump. Then I realized that to everyone else you look like, and might in fact be a cyberpsycho. Who else do you see using super cybernetic abilities? You realize tweeked cybernetic people can kill you as fast as a dude with a gun right?
They get alarmed by 'hyper cybernetics'? Ingame source please. Not to mention that employees of companies like Arasaka, Kang Tao, Militech, Biotechnica etc have 'hyper cybernetics' aswell, so do the rich and famous and plenty of other private contractors including the ones that work for the government, and NCPD just randomly guns down Arasaka personel now? Sorry, but I cant take this serious, because it isnt. Again, this means that they aggro on just about everyone who walks past and attack them while they issue warrants.
Had CohCarnage waited one or two seconds longer, he wouldnt have been able to fast travel. So he didnt get away 'easily', he just got lucky that the fast travel point was there and not ten yards further.
He uses either a synaptic accelerator or a reflex tuner for the nervous system, not a sandevistan, btw. Plenty of NPCs who have the same or similar implants.

Its a stretch. it most definitly is. Its a city where everyone has implants, corporate owned or simply owned by people with a lot of money like Lizzie Wizzie. How many people would mess with their implants to make them more powerful? cant even put a number on that one. The cops probably do not trust anyone, not even their own collegues, corrupt as they are, still doesnt mean they randomly shoot people.

No, they are not waiting for a reason to kill random people. Please provide me with an ingame source that states the NCPD kills random people. Especially right before an election their bosses are not going to let them randomly gun down people in the streets. I hear this argument a lot, but it seems more like people's opinion than anything else.

I dont think its a bug, its just how it works(or doesnt work at all)

They only aggro when you superjump onto them. I constantly superjump through the city while civilians walk past me without issue. Even gangers and many police officers do not react to superjump specifically unless you jump on them or near them. Probably because a considerable number of people in the city have 'hyper cybernetics', including those the gangers and NCPD do not want to mess with.
I always hear that people are afraid when you superjump because they think you are cyberpsycho, yet I think I have only ever seen one cyberpsycho that had superjump(the actress at the pier). I think its just people's opinion, they run when I carefully park in a normal parking spot aswell, Is parking safely a sign of cyberpsychosis too now?

Sorry if the above sounds angry, but after having had this discussion a dozen times, I am getting irritated by people giving me the same arguments over and over or completely ignoring everything because they have no argument at all. I'm going to stop replying to this. End edit

Last edited:
the cops/gangs aggroing you for standing around them too long is on purpose. NC is a rough city, and irl in a non apocalyptic NYC, standing or staring at some tough guy will lead to something similar. As long as you keep it moving its fine. This is actually very accurate. The Guns are pulled faster, but this is a world where a cop shooting an appendage is considered a warning shot (news bulletin in game)

Yes killing pedestrians is something that should cause problems, and yes when someone jumps a curb not everyone successfully picks the best escape route. freezing is a natural common response to panic. You don't have to drive, and you don't have to drive fast, irl, trying to take a turn, or driving fast when you don't know where you are going is likely to lead to accidents. you are supposed to be going like 15-20 mph on a turn irl. In game, we are often driving recklessly.
also, this depends on which vehicle you drive and how good you are at it. bikes handle easier from what I have played.
but back to original point, killing civilians via car should lead to drama.

playing with Guns, I notice aggro is much harder to control. I look at this as a feature. Anyone shooting a gun around you is a threat. Accident or not, bullets kill. The cops react to who the bullets hit, who it scares, and how much disruption/property dmg they see. Use melee around cops, and you get a lot less aggro. One game I was going to use tons of grenades, almost every encounter police would eventually get involved if it wasn't a mostly abandoned/seperate area. Not surprisingly using grenades often is chaotic and likely to attract attention. If you want less drama, stop using Guns. Use more takedowns if you want controlled response. If you use Guns, do it very carefully, think about getting silencers, shooting through walls is likely to cause extra drama. be conscious of shooting out into peoples directions.

This is not accidental stuff, this is what id expect to happen in a rough area if you do these types of behaviors. And to me, this is the extra gameplay effects police are there for. To make you consider how you approach a situation, and make it slightly more difficult/chaotic to go in Guns blazing in populated areas.
"the cops/gangs aggroing you for standing around them too long is on purpose. NC is a rough city, and irl in a non apocalyptic NYC, standing or staring at some tough guy will lead to something similar. As long as you keep it moving its fine. This is actually very accurate. The Guns are pulled faster, but this is a world where a cop shooting an appendage is considered a warning shot (news bulletin in game)"

The rest of what you say has nothing to do with my argument. NOT talking about shooting civilians.
V is standing downtown on a city street. There are 10 other civilians in near proximity. The gangers/cops who are standing --> over there [[> suddenly start turning hostile - to V. No one else. Why would all these gangs suddenly turn hostile. Why would cops turn hostile if you arent doing anything wrong or even drew a weapon.

This is an idiotic mechanic to make up for lack of monitoring system for reputation - everyone is hostile if you stand in proximity. I don't see how anyone can sit there and think - group of ten people - lets start shooting up the Pc and none of the civilians (who might be easier to rob) but no the most heavily armed and armored person present.
Post automatically merged:

Official source? That's fine if it is your opinion, but if CDPR have officially said as much, I would like to see it. All of this could, of course, be cleared up by some communication from CDPR, but instead resources seem to be going in to those articles about NPCs in the game which people are jumping all over for hints at DLC when it is just as likely that they are simply marketing's attempts to keep some buzz about this game alive.
They dont need sources. Cops attack ONLY the player character must be good design because the defenders of the game design say so. Because of course low level gangers would only ever attack the most dangerous person present simply because they are walking by on the street. So immersive. and its like totally logically and soooo immersive for every cop in the city to want to / desiring an excuse to kill V on sight when oh wait we've done 10,20,30,40 NCPF subcon missions helping them out. Don't question the narrative.

[...]
I voted often. I feel like "obsession with police" isn't the right term, when it comes to police appearing out of thin air in front of you, in THE GAME to beat other games in 2021. The contrast is just what hurts me. On the one hand there is a huge, impressive, beautiful city that surely had costed thousands of hours of work, but on the other hand there are half assed parts of the game that seem just either rushed or not cared about.
If the game was bad, eh okay, nothing wasted. But the game isn't bad, it's just parts of it that are hardcore lacking.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found some posts with some really creative and fashinating speculation.
However I think the reality is more disappointing.
AI (not just the police) doesn't work.
So the only way they found to make is working, is by "magical" spawning.
I mean, at least they could put a teleport sound or effect to make it more realistic :shrug:

It's beyond the point how much I engage the police, just knowing how basic and not fun the police is, devalues the experience. Sure I might not go looking for trouble but since I know all I have to do is run a block for them to stop makes them really unbelievable. It makes the game world much less immersive.
People like to defend this really lazy job as something that is the fault of the player. Oh Sir! How dare you play the game in a certain way?! How dare you expect standard interactivity in your "next gen" open world experience?!

I found some posts with some really creative and fashinating speculation.
However I think the reality is more disappointing.
AI (not just the police) doesn't work.
So the only way they found to make is working, is by "magical" spawning.
I mean, at least they could put a teleport sound or effect to make it more realistic :shrug:

from the sky come down like the gadget inspector with a gadget copter on his head. :giveup:

I found an area on top of a building that I could mow people down, got up to 4 police badges. They brought in a bunch of huge robots to try to kill me and I also killed all of them. It's not nearly as exciting as I expected it to be. The same 4 guys kept respawning and when I stopped and let my wanted level fall off all the bodies vanished, no loot no achievement, nothing.

Why do people like to pretend that V isn't a criminal?

And before anyone chimes in with; "v Is A mErc", yes they are, and they also engage in criminal activities.

The cop/wanted system is a far from well implemented or acceptable. I know people hate when GTA is mentioned, however GTA has cops that are far more believable. GTA cops spawn in too, but out side of the players line of sight, thus they need to travel to the players location and arrive in a more believable manner. This adds to immersion, the entire thing that CDPR was trying to achieve.

Does CP77 need cops that are on the player as often as in GTA? No. Would adding a decent cop system that shows cops arriving via car (or even on foot) be more immersive? Sure.

And lets not forget the criminal under usage of MAXTAC. They were shown at the very start of the game, and I was impressed, and I bet others where too, especially as we saw them arrive in their flying vehicle and waste those scop suckers. But where is all that fun for the player? MAXTAC just spawn in like regular cops but with more hit points and higher damage output. Totally wasted potential. :giveup:

Maybe i'm weird, but I've never had the police chase or attack me in this game except for one mission that kinda forced me to.

How many of you out there are playing your V like a mad lunatic attacking everything in site to where the police are coming after you all the time? I mostly play as a law abiding citizen unless a mission requires me to do otherwise, but I didn't even know Police spawns were a problem until it was mentioned in the patch notes because I'm never in trouble with them. I'm kinda surprised their behavior and AI is seen as such a huge issue for so many, it make sense and police chases are fun but its not how i've ever played the game.
It's not about being a psycho and killing everybody, it's about creating a context where from a certain action you expect a correct reaction. If they say they wanted to create the most believable open world to date, they also have to take into account a great amount of variables and dynamics that might or might not happen. AI and scripting are some of the aspects that need a lot of attention if you don't want to break the illusion.

I will never understand this obsession with cops in cyberpunk. there are so many more interesting things to develop in this game

I will never understand this obsession with cops in cyberpunk. there are so many more interesting things to develop in this game
Me I could understand (It's true, police system is not good at all). But thinking it's very (the most) important thing to add, I don't.
If you could choose between :
- More Quests/Interactions with Panam/Judy/River/Kerry.
- Better Police System.

Idealy the both... But if I must chosse, I take the first option.

Unpopular opinion, but I love how much I have to walk on eggshells with the police in this game. :shrug: I oscillate back and forth on how much i like how easy it is to get away from them but it's not that big a deal. Sure, it'd be nice if the wanted system was nuanced but it doesn't ruin the game.

My favorite encounter with the police was when I jumped off a bridge as a shortcut and accidentally killed a civ by landing right on him. Shortest pursuit ever, barely ran a block, but it was so. funny.

I would rather like to be obsessed with car chases done with gangers. Police chases would be nice too, of course.

But sadly the poor craftsmanship shown in this products allows not for car chases which are a given - you may also call it "standard" - in almost any modern or near future adventure open world game with big city settings. This is a standard since a couple of years, BTW.

Top Bottom