Whats with this Obessions Over the Police?

+

How Often Are You In Trouble with the N.C. Police?

• Never. I'm a model citizen whenever the cops are around.

Votes: 20 16.0%
  • Rarely. I stood too close to them one time.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • Sometimes. Bystanders keep getting caught in the crossfire.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • Often. Anyone in my way is fair game.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • I have cyberpsychosis.

Votes: 9 7.2%

• Total voters
2.8k dps, 6.5k armour, 90 crit chance, 345 crit damage. Well i can't stand bad gameplay design and money grind in single player game, so corpo v got some workaround you know :D
Ah, that seem much better here :)
In the same time, if you feel too immortal, you don't have to have the best armor and the best weapon in the game either ;)
(i think it's 2 bullets per shot Quazar, Yes it's a monster... but you can test with less powerfull weapons like a lexington. Even if with 100% crit chance you can oneshot every enemy).

2.8k dps, 6.5k armour, 90 crit chance, 345 crit damage. Well i can't stand bad gameplay design and money grind in single player game, so corpo v got some workaround you know :D

On normal game-play, my netrunner (400 hp) got killed several times during the 'secret ending' because he became careless. In any other encounter, his health dipped by only single-digits, and would have been an insult for anyone shooting at somebody and their response is shrugging their shoulder with a ,"Meh..." and just looting while under fire. But it was nice to have a reminder you're not invincible, so thanks to the 'secret ending' for this reminder.

Mostly my armor is around 4800 or so and up, and damage from weapons around 1.2K-1.4K (rifles), 2K (Mox shotgun), 2.5K (Black Unicorn). My Streetkid and the mentioned katana.

1621175536365.png

1621175565979.png

Last edited:

Guest 3847602

Is the primary point of gameplay improvements to silence critics? Yikes.
How would removal of police objectively improve gameplay?
Problem vast majority of people are having with current police system isn't that they can't take 5 steps into the Night City without NCPD jumping on them. It's that they can't initiate car chases with cops.
Remove it and you've solved nothing.
Actually, what caused the backlash was over-indulgence, not minimalism. Resources were pumped into some aspects of the game at the expense of others.
Semantics.
How often do you hear people wailing over the removal of subway system. Even though it has no practical use in the game where it takes 2 button presses for you to summon your own car or use fast travel. Subway system is over-indulgence, yet it doesn't prevent the backlash.
And in fact, there is at least one quest that involves exactly fighting and/or running from the NCPD. I'm sure it just slipped your mind.
I didn't forget. There's 3 of them: "Only Pain"(option to save corpo from cops), "Fortunate Son" (cops ambushing you) and "Rebel! Rebel" (escape from cops with Kerry). 3 quests out of how many? 150? 180? It doesn't change the fact that the game isn't about V vs NCPD. You have more quests (4 of them) about meditation than those involving fighting and/or running from the NCPD.

Last edited by a moderator:
The game world gives you the freedom to climb towers instead of plexiglass everywhere, but it doesn't mean they want to create tower climbing mini game. I don't think the game would be better by removing all choices, options and flavor.
The difference is the crime/wanted system is in the game. It was touched upon as a feature. Anything in the game, no matter how insignificant, should be done properly.

Perhaps my standards are too high for thinking NCPD death squads popping into existence from who knows where doesn't qualify as "proper". I just expect too much when I walk up on 6 gangers who just robbed/murdered a half dozen civilians, I interrupt their attempts to bag #7, accidentally hit #7 with a 0.5mm piece of grenade shrapnel and end up having a NCPD death squad pop into existence to kill V and V alone. It's clearly a perfectly implemented game system.
How would removal of police objectively improve gameplay?
Well, it's supposed to be a dystopian world where law enforcement corruption is the norm, not the exception. Harming a hair on the head of any civilian literally anywhere in the game world resulting in the crew of the Enterprise appearing from nowhere to kill V doesn't exactly create that vibe. Particularly when those rules only appear to apply to V specifically.
Problem vast majority of people are having with current police system isn't that they can't take 5 steps into the Night City without NCPD jumping on them. It's that they can't initiate car chases with cops.
If you say so....
Semantics.
How often do you hear people wailing over the removal of subway system. Even though it has no practical use in the game where it takes 2 button presses for you to summon your own car or use fast travel. Subway system is over-indulgence, yet it doesn't prevent the backlash.
Yet we have time to hand-place junk loot and trash all over the game world. Priorities.....

The difference is the crime/wanted system is in the game. It was touched upon as a feature. Anything in the game, no matter how insignificant, should be done properly.

Perhaps my standards are too high for thinking NCPD death squads popping into existence from who knows where doesn't qualify as "proper". I just expect too much when I walk up on 6 gangers who just robbed/murdered a half dozen civilians, I interrupt their attempts to bag #7, accidentally hit #7 with a 0.5mm piece of grenade shrapnel and end up having a NCPD death squad pop into existence to kill V and V alone. It's clearly a perfectly implemented game system.

Well, it's supposed to be a dystopian world where law enforcement corruption is the norm, not the exception. Harming a hair on the head of any civilian literally anywhere in the game world resulting in the crew of the Enterprise appearing from nowhere to kill V doesn't exactly create that vibe. Particularly when those rules only appear to apply to V specifically.

If you say so....

Yet we have time to hand-place junk loot and trash all over the game world. Priorities.....

killing innocents is basically the only thing they enforce, unless you are right in front of them. and they don't even try that hard.

but yeah, its not a perfect system. At the same time if I was in charge and had to choose between improving police immersion, and virtually any other feature, I'd probably choose the other feature. To me, their job is to be a soft penalty for screwing up, and create slightly more chaos in encounters. They serve there purpose well enough.

However, there's a chance that they listen to the police wanting people and expend extra resources and time on making the police better at attacking V and other npcs at the sametime, and I'll feel the same way I felt the last time they added a police fix. Thats nice, hope that didnt push back fixes or content that I'm actually interested in for that.

different priorities though some people like prefer polish some people prefer substance even if its rough.

killing innocents is basically the only thing they enforce, unless you are right in front of them. and they don't even try that hard.
See, I didn't engage with that game system much because I wasn't trying to do so. Start randomly blasting civilians? Why? CP isn't nor ever was that type of game. Still... The idea I can pancake a random civilian on the side of the road in the Badlands with nothing nearby to witness the event and have a kill team appear from Wonderland to send me to the yellow brick road of the Afterlife doesn't sit well. It doesn't feel like a commitment to quality. No matter how anyone tries to spin It
but yeah, its not a perfect system. At the same time if I was in charge and had to choose between improving police immersion, and virtually any other feature, I'd probably choose the other feature. To me, their job is to be a soft penalty for screwing up, and create slightly more chaos in encounters. They serve there purpose well enough.

However, there's a chance that they listen to the police wanting people and expend extra resources and time on making the police better at attacking V and other npcs at the sametime, and I'll feel the same way I felt the last time they added a police fix. Thats nice, hope that didnt push back fixes or content that I'm actually interested in for that.
There are no disagreements here. It's not at the top of the priority list. Funnily enough a lot of the complaints about the crime/wanted system aren't about it specifically. It just so happens it serves as the poster child for the way various areas of the game were handled. It's an easy one to pick on. Sadly, it probably only ended up as such because someone is less reliable than a weather man at accurately predicting future events.
different priorities though some people like prefer polish some people prefer substance even if its rough.
I'm not sure either of those words accurately describe the crime/wanted system in this game. To each their own I guess :).

I wish we spent more time with important npc characters that were police. Working alongside them within the darker underbellies of the city.
  • Crashing through walls, taking down a Maelstrom drug operation. Meeting some Valentino police that offer a helping hand to destroy sex traffic .
  • Joining forces with a police officer from Pacifica who attempts to murder V for taking down the Voodoo Boys, which leads us into a vehicle chase encounter.
  • More arrested cutscenes similar to when V and Jackie were arrested. Really pushing the Street Kid lifepath.

I wish we spent more time with important npc characters that were police. Working alongside them within the darker underbellies of the city.
  • Crashing through walls, taking down a Maelstrom drug operation. Meeting some Valentino police that offer a helping hand to destroy sex traffic .
  • Joining forces with a police officer from Pacifica who attempts to murder V for taking down the Voodoo Boys, which leads us into a vehicle chase encounter.
  • More arrested cutscenes similar to when V and Jackie were arrested. Really pushing the Street Kid lifepath.

eh just like to say, the streetkid isnt a criminal because being a criminal is cool. They do it because its the only way survive and effect anything. Notice in the first scene, they are only stealing the car to help Pepe out.

So I wouldn't expect developing the streetkid to be about getting arrested. The defining part of the streetkid is they are native to night city, and they know how the city works, and relate to the common people. Once V has other resources, they aren't going to actively seek beef with the police, unless there is a reason.

Becoming a merc is essentially going legit.

!eh just like to say, the streetkid isnt a criminal because being a criminal is cool. They do it because its the only way survive and effect anything. Notice in the first scene, they are only stealing the car to help Pepe out.

So I wouldn't expect developing the streetkid to be about getting arrested. The defining part of the streetkid is they are native to night city, and they know how the city works, and relate to the common people. Once V has other resources, they aren't going to actively seek beef with the police, unless there is a reason.

Becoming a merc is essentially going legit.
1. Lets not bs here a merc (edgerunner) is a glorified criminal of the future surviving outside the law. I used criminal in context to how law enforcement view them.

2. As for being arrested these scenes work well to heighten drama for effect within the storytelling narrative of character. Less arrest = Higher reputation as we gradually move away from just surviving to being a true edgerunner.

3. If V wants to actively seek beef with police the option to do so should be available, adding more characters to the fold gradually creating that oppressive system. At 15 me and my idiot friends messed around with cops all the time and got into trouble with the police. Watching V go through that process would have created a more realistic representation of being on the streets and develop a stronger character experience for the Street Kid.

Last edited:

Maybe if they'd finished the game mechanics and bug testing before releasing the game they could then spend after release time developing more content for their customers...
I always thought the cyberpunk easthetic was more like working for the Yakuza than the law, which is why it would have been nice for the gangs to having shifting attitudes to V, do a job for the Voodoo Boys (cos you wanna move into a flat in Pacifica) and you'd get better prices from their local shops, maybe even join them for wars againsta their enemies. Netrunners always seem to skirt the edges of being legal, basically a street rat...

Maybe if they'd finished the game mechanics and bug testing before releasing the game they could then spend after release time developing more content for their customers...

I always thought the cyberpunk easthetic was more like working for the Yakuza than the law, which is why it would have been nice for the gangs to having shifting attitudes to V, do a job for the Voodoo Boys (cos you wanna move into a flat in Pacifica) and you'd get better prices from their local shops, maybe even join them for wars againsta their enemies. Netrunners always seem to skirt the edges of being legal, basically a street rat...
if you accept that they have been using virtually all their resources developing the game over 5 years, and still had to push the game back 8 months, and still had a buggy product. Then its kind of a pointless what if. They have could pushed back the game more, or had less features/content/quality. There doesn't seem like there is a way they could have done more in that time frame. So its a question of what tradeoffs they can make going forward.

Every feature they add is something else they don't add. So whatever is most important to you, is the content you should request.

As for gang alliance, I think its not a bad idea, if they also add more story to them. However, personally I don't think it should be to the level of joining them. But yeah, VDB alignment might have been nice, especially if you could have avoided getting killed. And if it opened up the town to you, adding gigs/sidequests/lore/locations etc, since its very closed off to V now.

if you accept that they have been using virtually all their resources developing the game over 5 years, and still had to push the game back 8 months, and still had a buggy product. Then its kind of a pointless what if. They have could pushed back the game more, or had less features/content/quality. There doesn't seem like there is a way they could have done more in that time frame. So its a question of what tradeoffs they can make going forward.

Every feature they add is something else they don't add. So whatever is most important to you, is the content you should request.

As for gang alliance, I think its not a bad idea, if they also add more story to them. However, personally I don't think it should be to the level of joining them. But yeah, VDB alignment might have been nice, especially if you could have avoided getting killed. And if it opened up the town to you, adding gigs/sidequests/lore/locations etc, since its very closed off to V now.

CDPR could have used a similar system used in Freelancer were your reputation increases if you do jobs for them/hunt 'criminals' on their turf, or decreases if you attack them directly.

A simple idea, just greatly decrease Street Cred when you kill a civilian (could be better disuasion for psycho V).
Post automatically merged:

Developping my little idea (during my ME playtrough) :)

If you kill a civilian :
  • Street Cred dicrease (1 enemies = SC +10, kill a civilian = SC -100).
  • Bounty (+500 eddies).
  • Cops don't spawn (miraculously).

If you have a bounty :
  • Bounty will never decrease over the time.
  • You can pay your bounty with any Fixer (with 10% of commission. Yep they are fixers).
  • Cops will attack you on sight if you cross paths.
  • You can randomly encounter hostile Mercs on a street corner. You can kill them, no SC penalty, no bounty increase. Obviously, highter bounty, more mercs and more powerfull. After reach 10K eddies, you're probably dead if you are not lvl 50 with good stuff).

If you fight cops :
- If you kill one :
  • Street Cred decrease (1 enemi = SC +10, kill a cop = SC -500).
  • Bounty (+2500 eddies).
- If you are in combat with cops, after 2 min :
  • You can escape (run away).
  • Bounty automatically increase (+2500 eddies).
  • Drones arrive and more Cops and more powerfull.
- If you are in combat with Cops after 4 min :
  • MaxTac arrive, you can't escape (impossible to distance the Maxtac's AV) and you are probably dead.

Total random numbers, but it's the idea. If you want to play as Psycho V, you can but there are consequences (It's not cheap to be a psycho) :)

Last edited:
I never shoot the police on purpose. I leave them alone. sometimes intense crossfire, collateral damage; the police arrive {I must react; after all they are not in the game for nothing}

my person {my inner self}; I usually applaud the bandits in gangster movies; never the cops.

some people primarily wanted to randomly engage in crime for entertainment(fight the police). Or wantonly use dangerous weapons in public.

I will say it depends on your weapon choice. Melee/stealth rarely attract attention. Guns, well cops may come if you shoot bystanders by accident. Grenades, hard to use in a crowded area wo cops.

Some people just can't accept things that seem wrong to them, even if they don't engage with it often.

I think it serves its purpose pretty well, discourages killing or threatening civilians. But others have a different metric
I cannot speak for others but there are problems:
1) In Watson is a corner street fight between two cops, and 4ish gangers (dont recall Maelstrom or Scavs) - SO many times I help the police and shoot the gangers, holster weapon but immediately become hostile with the police.
2) The idiotic dynamic of standing near someone potentially hostile triggers hostility. If you merely stand on the sidewalk , in the flow of pedestrian traffic mind you, not crossing a police line (this also works for gang members) - just standing along with other civilians makes an automatic Yellow to Red hostility system - you could be just standing there on the phone or looking at map. So you become hostile for no reason - no matter how much the police/gang likes/dislikes you. Again, this is just standing with other pedestrians with weapons holstered - I don't mean approach/get in face/draw weapons.
3) As cars can be quite loose in handling - especially if you are driving with mouse and keyboard it is so easy to jump the curve on a tight turn and civilians either sometimes dont even try to move or crouch down and put their hands over their head to a car coming too close. This can devolve into a quick pick up of police stars, combined with magical teleporting in cops and drones you have an escalating situation.

I do not think its fair to state everyone with a problem just wants to go shooting up the town. I seriously wish there was a reputation monitor with groups so the NCPD could see you - see you are a sub-con in good standing, etc and at least say hello

See, I didn't engage with that game system much because I wasn't trying to do so. Start randomly blasting civilians? Why? CP isn't nor ever was that type of game. Still... The idea I can pancake a random civilian on the side of the road in the Badlands with nothing nearby to witness the event and have a kill team appear from Wonderland to send me to the yellow brick road of the Afterlife doesn't sit well. It doesn't feel like a commitment to quality. No matter how anyone tries to spin It
The devil in me says: if the innocent civs were lootable and I could get some nice clothing or something from them (for instance the clothing type they also wear) I would've killed some pedestrians. But they are not lootable/have nothing on them so it immediately deflates the entire purpose for it anyway.

If only the world would work like this, we'd have chefs swapping in between ribeye steaks and doing aerospace engineering in a flash depending on where we need the manpower.

Not to say that I disagree with the general sentiment regarding the NCPD introduction.

Heck even a system similar to Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines humanity meter would be better lore wise than the current implementation, but swapped to a cyberpsycho meter, where V would fight normal NCPD officers scattered through the world through the crowd tech displacement (not spawning in) and then get a cutscene with MaxTac flying in and taking V down when the meter is full.

I cannot speak for others but there are problems:
1) In Watson is a corner street fight between two cops, and 4ish gangers (dont recall Maelstrom or Scavs) - SO many times I help the police and shoot the gangers, holster weapon but immediately become hostile with the police.
2) The idiotic dynamic of standing near someone potentially hostile triggers hostility. If you merely stand on the sidewalk , in the flow of pedestrian traffic mind you, not crossing a police line (this also works for gang members) - just standing along with other civilians makes an automatic Yellow to Red hostility system - you could be just standing there on the phone or looking at map. So you become hostile for no reason - no matter how much the police/gang likes/dislikes you. Again, this is just standing with other pedestrians with weapons holstered - I don't mean approach/get in face/draw weapons.
3) As cars can be quite loose in handling - especially if you are driving with mouse and keyboard it is so easy to jump the curve on a tight turn and civilians either sometimes dont even try to move or crouch down and put their hands over their head to a car coming too close. This can devolve into a quick pick up of police stars, combined with magical teleporting in cops and drones you have an escalating situation.

I do not think its fair to state everyone with a problem just wants to go shooting up the town. I seriously wish there was a reputation monitor with groups so the NCPD could see you - see you are a sub-con in good standing, etc and at least say hello

the cops/gangs aggroing you for standing around them too long is on purpose. NC is a rough city, and irl in a non apocalyptic NYC, standing or staring at some tough guy will lead to something similar. As long as you keep it moving its fine. This is actually very accurate. The Guns are pulled faster, but this is a world where a cop shooting an appendage is considered a warning shot (news bulletin in game)

Yes killing pedestrians is something that should cause problems, and yes when someone jumps a curb not everyone successfully picks the best escape route. freezing is a natural common response to panic. You don't have to drive, and you don't have to drive fast, irl, trying to take a turn, or driving fast when you don't know where you are going is likely to lead to accidents. you are supposed to be going like 15-20 mph on a turn irl. In game, we are often driving recklessly.
also, this depends on which vehicle you drive and how good you are at it. bikes handle easier from what I have played.
but back to original point, killing civilians via car should lead to drama.

playing with Guns, I notice aggro is much harder to control. I look at this as a feature. Anyone shooting a gun around you is a threat. Accident or not, bullets kill. The cops react to who the bullets hit, who it scares, and how much disruption/property dmg they see. Use melee around cops, and you get a lot less aggro. One game I was going to use tons of grenades, almost every encounter police would eventually get involved if it wasn't a mostly abandoned/seperate area. Not surprisingly using grenades often is chaotic and likely to attract attention. If you want less drama, stop using Guns. Use more takedowns if you want controlled response. If you use Guns, do it very carefully, think about getting silencers, shooting through walls is likely to cause extra drama. be conscious of shooting out into peoples directions.

This is not accidental stuff, this is what id expect to happen in a rough area if you do these types of behaviors. And to me, this is the extra gameplay effects police are there for. To make you consider how you approach a situation, and make it slightly more difficult/chaotic to go in Guns blazing in populated areas.

Top Bottom