What's your best way to learn about modding (REDKit)?

+
What's your best way to learn about modding (REDKit)?

Well since it's my first time getting into modding (I tried a few times in the past though) I want to know,
what would you recommend to a newcomer like me, where he should start first and work later on through some more advanced stuff.

I only did some world creating, shaping it and basic dialogue.

Also what are the essentials of modding? I for one didn't really know what meshes are.

I've used many mod tools, from Battlefield 2 to Skyrim to now REDKit, and what the vast majority of newcomers do is be way too ambitious, which eventually leads to them getting discouraged and giving up.

Just be prepared for a lengthy learning process. You aren't going to make anything impressive in a short time, but if you approach it in the right way, you will get there.

My main suggestion would be to try your hand at all of the different features in a test level, and follow as many tutorials as you can find, before you actually start working on your mod idea. In my experience, trying to learn the editor while making your actual mod is a bad idea and will lead to wasted/shitty work. Whatever work you do while learning the basics of the tool kit will be crap and that's normal, because you lacked the knowledge necessary to actually plan things properly. Just discard it once you feel confident enough and start over for real.

Another thing I would suggest is looking at the game for examples of what you can and cannot do with the editor. Stay within the boundaries of what you have seen done in the game (in terms of quests or functionality, etc), that way you're certain that it'll be possible to achieve (or possible without heavy programming support).

Before I made Lykaon I had only 2 days of experience with the Skyrim Creation Kit and that's it. It helped me a lot not to have a "test level" with only the purpose of testing, but to test everything in a level I planned to release as a mod, even if it is small (it became Lykaon). So if I follow the tutorial in how to make a quest, I plan on using this quest later on. I guess this brought me some motivation because I could see my mod get into shape while I was learning stuff.

Edit: And don't think your design decisions or writing are the holy grail of computer games. Everytime I do something new I think this is the best thing ever, yet I know that this is not true. It is always good to listen to advice - but if you are convinced of your idea, don't let other people destroy it and follow it. Motivation is everything!

Last edited:
Well the world building seems to be very straight forward and similar to CryEngine 3. What I am particularly interested in is modifying combat animations (scaling, interrupt, etc.), working with particle effects and changing the combat model. The mod I am planning to do is a total combat conversion, however the way I planned it it can be done very methodically, starting with simple things.

So first thing I need to do is remove Geralt's automatic stun when he hits an enemy parry. Anyone knows where can find the corresponding files? Also feel free to interpret the first paragraph as suggestion to the wiki ;)

Top Bottom