What's Your Opinion of the Syndicate Faction? [Poll]

+

What's your opinion of the Syndicate faction?

• Total voters
Since the Novigrad Expansion has introduced the first truly new faction in Gwent since Blood and Wine brought us Skellige, let's have an opinion poll, shall we?

How are ye liking the gangs of Novigrad? Having a grand old time with the Syndicate? Not quite sure? Or do ye despise these nefarious criminals and fanatics?

Please, feel free to elaborate below.

The crown mechanic adds an extra dimension for deckbuilding and playing the game. This is the most interesting aspect of the faction. Furthermore, most archetypes have overlap with good support allowing for a lot of different combos.

However... I see the nerf-hammer already being sharped (yes, sharped) from afar. So, I'll await the upcoming patch first and, when the dust has settled, see who is still standing. Then we can all go to the Kingfisher and get some drinks.

I didn’t think the crime theme could be fun, but they were able to do it.
I see inspiration from Harry Potter and Batman.
But this clown should be fixed, hard to kill 6 point unit and lock does not work on it!!

Last edited:

DRK3

Forum veteran
Its pretty cool. Today managed to play like 10-12 hours, and tried all 5 new leaders.

Started with a Gudrun/Tidecloaks/Hoard deck and then a KoB/Witch Hunters deck which did really well.

Tried a Firesworn deck on seasonal but was destroyed, but on regular play its probably good. Whoreson deck and Cleaver deck felt the hardest to play, Insanity can be tricky when you want to use insanity but end up using the coins you wanted for later.

Finally even tried a drug addict deck, with just poor guys and even 15 provisions left, and it almost didnt feel crippled!

And some decks have a problem of generating too many coins without a way to spend, it didnt just happen to me, defeated a lot of opponents who did that mistake.

But yes, i can definitely see 5-10 cards who need a nerf.

I expressed myself in other topics earlier, but for "completedness", I will comment my choice here.

I strongly dislike theme of Novigrad expansion. I do not want to play as "intentionaly evil character with twisted moral". I will probably try some matches with new faction (I did not play any match with Syndicate faction so far, but I expect, there will be Syndicate-only faction challenge), but theme is strongly repulsive for me. I even vote with money. I bought Crimson Curse pre-order, which was costlier than Novigrad one, but I do not plan to invest any money into Novigrad.

I expressed myself in other topics earlier, but for "completedness", I will comment my choice here.

I strongly dislike theme of Novigrad expansion. I do not want to play as "intentionaly evil character with twisted moral". I will probably try some matches with new faction (I did not play any match with Syndicate faction so far, but I expect, there will be Syndicate-only faction challenge), but theme is strongly repulsive for me. I even vote with money. I bought Crimson Curse pre-order, which was costlier than Novigrad one, but I do not plan to invest any money into Novigrad.

So you're cool with playing as monsters but not humans who aren't morally sound?

@StrykerxS77x I seriously doubt, discussion like that would add anything to this topic, but that is the society today, people with strong principles are questioned "on every spot", while "principle-less" people are mostly adored.

1) I am not sure, that Monsters faction is really connected with "morality". Do Nekkers, Archespores, Glustyworps ... etc have any moral codex? Could you please explain relation between Monsters and "morality"?

2) How did you come to my opinion about "humans, who are not morally sound"? I did not mention anything about requirement to be morally sound. Your question would have been relevant in case of 2-values logic, but in universum discursum where are more than 2 values (at example good, neutral, evil) your manipulative question makes impression, like if I expressed requirement for only morally sound characters, while I only rejected immoral characters, without mentioning any objection to neutral characters, who are by definition also not morally sound.

Please don't turn this into a personal skirmish. It seems to be heading that way right now.

I've still not got around to testing out Syndicate myself. Today, though, today. From the gameplay shown on the stream it seems at least [Neutral].

@StrykerxS77x I seriously doubt, discussion like that would add anything to this topic, but that is the society today, people with strong principles are questioned "on every spot", while "principle-less" people are mostly adored.

1) I am not sure, that Monsters faction is really connected with "morality". Do Nekkers, Archespores, Glustyworps ... etc have any moral codex? Could you please explain relation between Monsters and "morality"?

2) How did you come to my opinion about "humans, who are not morally sound"? I did not mention anything about requirement to be morally sound. Your question would have been relevant in case of 2-values logic, but in universum discursum where are more than 2 values (at example good, neutral, evil) your manipulative question makes impression, like if I expressed requirement for only morally sound characters, while I only rejected immoral characters, without mentioning any objection to neutral characters, who are by definition also not morally sound.

I was just asking a question because was legitimately curious.

Most people think of monsters as being evil but I guess they could be thoughtless killing machines as well.

@Draconifors Exactly, what I think. This is topic about opinions, where people should be free to express their opinions. However like in current society it works like that. "If you have same opinion like me, everything is fine. If you have different opinion than me, you will have to explain yourself, you are not free to express you opinion so easily like those, who have same opinion like me." I am really sad, that such approach is so much common these days.
Post automatically merged:

I was just asking a question because was legitimately curious.
No, that was not curious question, that was suggestive question. You may not be aware of it, but I percept "emotional colouring" in your question. I would react differently to neutrally asked question.

No, that was not curious question, that was suggestive question. You may not be aware of it, but I percept "emotional colouring" in your question. I would react differently to neutrally asked question.

I am legitimately curious in your line of reasoning as to playing monsters but absolutely not wanting to play "intentionaly evil character with twisted moral".

I made a Cleaver deck based on the synergy between Crime and Intimidate cards. I had fun with it but I wish I could make a more devious King of Beggars deck.

Cleaver is a charming fellow and a dwarf of business but he's a bit too direct for my tastes.

The faction is VERY well-designed and thought-out. It is very refreshing to see a lot of new mechanics and abilities.

That being said, some cards are insanely over-powered with the right leader. Philippa for example is game winning.

@StrykerxS77x I personally do not percept Monsters faction as intentionally evil and I also doubt about relation between Monsters and moral principles. There are some characters in Gwent faction of Monsters, who are capable of holding moral principles, but there are in my opinion many other, who do not have such capability. It is quite difficult, because, I do not think, that Gwent faction called Monsters really fits its name. Nonetheless, if you make argument about my opinion about Monsters, you are (possibly unintentionally) implying, that I play that part of Monsters characters, who are capable of holding some moral codex, but I do not understand, how could you possibly come to such conclusion without knowing, what kind of Monster decks I play, because I may be playing only those Monster characters, which do not have capability for moral principles, like for example Archespores.

@StrykerxS77x I personally do not percept Monsters faction as intentionally evil and I also doubt about relation between Monsters and moral principles. There are some characters in Gwent faction of Monsters, who are capable of holding moral principles, but there are in my opinion many other, who do not have such capability. It is quite difficult, because, I do not think, that Gwent faction called Monsters really fits its name. Nonetheless, if you make argument about my opinion about Monsters, you are (possibly unintentionally) implying, that I play that part of Monsters characters, who are capable of holding some moral codex, but I do not understand, how could you possibly come to such conclusion without knowing, what kind of Monster decks I play, because I may be playing only those Monster characters, which do not have capability for moral principles, like for example Archespores.

Ok. It's an interesting perspective.
Post automatically merged:

The faction is VERY well-designed and thought-out. It is very refreshing to see a lot of new mechanics and abilities.

That being said, some cards are insanely over-powered with the right leader. Philippa for example is game winning.

It would be nice if all factions were this well thought out.

@StrykerxS77x Then that part of Monsters faction characters, which may be capable of understanding moral principles, are they really intentionally evil?
Are Cyclops evil or are they just defending their territory? Are ghouls evil or are they just acting on their instincts (lower neural activity) rather than thinking (higher neural activity). Moral principles are definitely related to higher neural activity.

completely unbalanced. I understand that sales have to be made but this is just outrageous. Won't play ranked until syndicate receives huge nerfs. Ms Filipa 13+ points every game/ tons of bronze cards some of them consistently reach 8+ value, Borosodi brothers/ Mr freakshow bb any engine. Smb must be blind to allow it to go through ptr. Half of the cards are just broken.

Last edited:
Top Bottom