What's Your Opinion of the Syndicate Faction? [Poll]

+

What's your opinion of the Syndicate faction?

• Total voters
I will leave the questions of balance to others who know better than me. If you're interested, scroll back, I did it and read many interesting things. From the perspective of a more casual player; I've lost and won to Syndicate players but I never felt cheated, so they don't seem too strong for me, especially since I don't see many of them.

From an aspect that hasn't been touched on much here - I think they did a splendid job with the syndicate as an in-game faction. The cards look amazing. The factions feel very well defined and stand out from one another. Much more than they ever were in Witcher 3. So what the developers did here was they took out a very general idea of the gangs in Novigrad and fleshed it out and made it real, adding new things onto it along the way. I think that really needs to be noticed and appreciated rather than only focusing on gameplay and balance.
Especially since it seems to me like Gwent has the best visual design of cards in any computer card game that I've seen. I've played a few but if anyone can correct me on this, please do so.

On the gameplay side of things - I find most of the leaders good (Not you, Junior) and I like the fact that each faction has their own school of tactics, making them feel as distinct in gameplay as they are in apperance. On the flipside I also like that you can mix and match, combining the factions.
The Crowns mechanics i also like - it brings a new mechanic to the game, just like Blood Curse brought ticks of vitality and bleeds. And the more there is of those, the better it is for the game (so long as the mechanics aren't rushed). It remains to be seen if and how they will be used or expanded on in the future.

So to summarise - the Syndicate looks great, feels fun to play and brings new options to the game.

Now we wait for the Iron Judgement. I wonder if and what Syndicate changes that will bring.
Well that's interesting. I do much appreciate the art of SY (although some is too cartoony), but it is worthless to me if the gameplay and balance suck. The problems there with SY I have already mentioned above. If you don't like artifacts, it's hard to like SY. The SY coin mechanic of hoarding untouchable coins is the culprit.

I didn't read all the thread, but I want to publish my opinion. I have played SY for the first time - in arena. And what I can say - it's damn too complicated! All this digits in the head. Why so many calculations? All this orders, charges and coins make game too complicated and that's why too boring. I damn threw the game after first round. I have 19 packs of SY not even opened!
Making SY in this form with coins was very bad idea. As people and I have already mentioned, SY coins are too alien to other factions. U can easily play other cards of all factions (except harmony and some other ST's), but u cannot play many SY cards without coins. It's too complicated. Firstly u must think of how to get this coins. If u cannot, ur cards are shit. Second, u must properly distribute all ur coins between cards and even between rounds, cause they somehow disappear. All this is so head-breaking!
Complicated things are always forgotten. Do u know, what programming language is number one now? It's python! Cause it's very simple and clear. Even if it is not so comfortable to use sometimes (u must always install additional software) and if it is not so fast in execution as other languages. But still it is the number one. The same thing is in CCGs. Not so quality game as HS is the most popular game, cause it's very simple and understandable like python language. But ur game is much more complicated. In beta it was much more understandable and clear. Now it's dirty, complicated and unclear as in graphical design, so in gameplay. Just remove all this coins, orders, charges, other dirtyness and complications and make game understandable, clear and sensible. Or people will just forget it.

Since when complicated is boring?
What is more boring, digging a row or solving a mathematical problem?!

I mean, the existence of charges and other things that make the game dirty and unclear - here it's an argument I understand and kind of agree. But, like, Alchemy+Olgierd 5 cards combo is quite complicated, but very cool. Maybe it's the matter of wording

Since when complicated is boring?
But, like, Alchemy+Olgierd 5 cards combo is quite complicated, but very cool. Maybe it's the matter of wording
May be the most suitable word is "clear". Clear complicated thing is ok, while dirty complicated - is not. Complicated things built of simple clear things are clear and understandable. But when we have initially unclear too many detailed things like coins, orders, when we build something of them, we get dirty ugly monster. Clear combos is ok, I like it. Poker, for example has many complicated combos, which are too hard to collect (royal flush, for example), but it's cool, when u collect them. Royal flush is a clear combo, cause it is based on simple understandable cards. Not like SY's ones with all this additional tokens, which u must collect first from some another cards of urs. In Sy u are playing just with urself - in all this complicated accounting. Noone can stop u from getting coins - just a luck.

Guest 4336264

May be the most suitable word is "clear". Clear complicated thing is ok, while dirty complicated - is not. Complicated things built of simple clear things are clear and understandable. But when we have initially unclear too many detailed things like coins, orders, when we build something of them, we get dirty ugly monster. Clear combos is ok, I like it. Poker, for example has many complicated combos, which are too hard to collect (royal flush, for example), but it's cool, when u collect them. Royal flush is a clear combo, cause it is based on simple understandable cards. Not like SY's ones with all this additional tokens, which u must collect first from some another cards of urs. In Sy u are playing just with urself - in all this complicated accounting. Noone can stop u from getting coins - just a luck.
I'm with you on certain points.

I probably wouldn't play the Syndicate faction due to the coin mechanics. It just doesn't appeal to me in any way whatsoever - it seems like too much hard work.

Likewise, looking at cards that require charges and stuff doesn't interest me particularly either - having to build a deck and ensure I have cards that give charge to a card for its ability to function again. I prefer to play cards that have repeat abilities - randomly damage other cards, or have a cooldown whereby I can use it to damage another card after a turn or two (or even a countdown card - ability triggers after so many turns) - or cards that damage other cards instantly when deployed.

As you pointed out, for the Syndicate faction, if you can't get coins then most of these faction cards are useless (words to that effect).

I suspect that most users prefer the more basic style of play - triggers on round start, deploy, after a certain number of rounds - as well as instant damage cards.

Still, there are clearly some people who enjoy these other aspect of the game (orders, charges, etc.), as well as this new faction...

But ur game is much more complicated. In beta it was much more understandable and clear. Now it's dirty, complicated and unclear as in graphical design, so in gameplay. Just remove all this coins, orders, charges, other dirtyness and complications and make game understandable, clear and sensible. Or people will just forget it.
Beta was far to more complex than HC, just try to remember the alignment of units in the Greatswords combo (to use Scorch) or the old Eredin/Dagon with weathers.
Also SY is not complicated when you play them, just play and be safe, the opponent cant touch those virtual coin points, Charges unit? removal, Deathwish? lock.....Coins? none, no one will touch my coins.
Liusa and Saviola, IQ 400 combo for 24pts, of course, play Luisa first, not the best example of thinking.

In general: No more Silver spyes, a lot of seize cards(or Damien), SY have Phillipa, the most difficult "avoidable" seize in the game.

Actually the game is very simple and understandable, just try some games with SY and see it.

In terms of simplicity, we have Dorfs, Mystic Dorfs will save you.

Something wrong in the comparison with HS, HS popuparity has 2 favorable aspects at the time of its launch: It is a Blizzard game(just for that reason millions of people will play it) and had no major competition.
HS gained a huge community AFTER the mobile version.
Gwent has to compete in a much more complicated market and whether or not it takes strength is not because it is very complex since MtGarena has stabilized very well today and has much more complex mechanics, starting with several phases within the same turn and resources of Different colors that can be played all at once

HC is unpleasant to play. Beta was much more pleasant. And still it was simpler. There were much lesser calculations. Digits in beta was on the second role. The first were cards' positions, combos, some control decisions. Digits just reflected ur success in that. Now digits are the main, u must count too much, u must align cards. It's not fun. That is not what was earlier. Mathematics must be on second role in the game, cause mathematics was never fun. It's boring work of mind. That was a mistake - to make game more mathematical, cause it already was enough mathematical with all cards' power counting. Now u have added counting of charges, coins. It's just not fun. Better add more timers. That what I like to count. Time counting is much more fun than static flat power counting. Time counting adds dynamic to a game. Gwent is very static, there is no much action like in HS, not so much power and emotions. It's boring and statically mathematical. HS has one good side, that Gwent has no: it's tempo. Tempo wins games in HS. It adds a tension, so u cannot digress from the game and play with interest. If u add timers (as people already suggested) as in "Ciri: Dash", u will add tempo to Gwent, so the games should be more entertaining.

Last edited:
I just changed my opinion of SY from Dislike to Strongly Dislike. What a nonsense, how bad this SY coin mechanic is, playing several cards that put nothing on the board, but that give a load of coins that are saved for later. It's basically skipping a turn, but still getting points anyway as coins. This does not belong in a game that is supposed to be an interactive battle. Gaining untouchable points is cheating, it's as simple as that. Then there are the cheap units that can boost, damage or bleed any number of units using all the hoarded coins in one turn. This feels even more like cheating as no other bronze unit can generate so many points and can distribute them any way they like in one turn. CDPR, what about your communication to limit damage from bronze units? Compared to other factions, instead of building a board, SY simply has to hoard some untouchable coins. The nothingness and explosiveness of SY make it unfair and unfun. Please get rid of the current coin mechanic and let coins stay with units. It should be all about units and not about an untouchable sack of coins.

if there was any way to tackle coins, the problem comes with cards that are deployed fee you can't counter them outside of a few traps (scoiatel exclusive) so they can hoard coins and spent as they like, right now I just forfeit when I play vs syndicate

Guest 4368268

right now I just forfeit when I play vs syndicate
Though I get the desire to do that against certain decks (especially in casual) I would try and learn how to cope with them. Personally I've found getting 2/3 purifies in my deck helps a ton. Purifies are versatile good cards that have a wide variety of functions that rarely brick entirely. Try to win R1 and bleed them R2. Winning R1 is usually plausible because you deny their tempo plays when you use purifies (poison, bounties)

It's still tricky to beat and a level of luck in terms of the right draws at the right time is needed, but since I suspect they'll remain this way for the foreseeable future I'd try to learn how to deal with it.

Ultimately though, win or lose playing them just feels very frustrating. Playing against special cards for the first 4/5 turns only to get a 21 point swing on turn 6 just feels shitty and reminds me of Harald unitless.

Syndicate is everything wrong with gwent.That'sall I can really say. It's toxic, terrible to play against and overall frustrating way too many big removals at low cost or free. Coins now = more than 1 point in many cases.Bounties and free tributes are ass, phillipa is bloody arse, poison is arse, Executioner is afrse, bounties are OK for targeting but not for big removal. Plus it messes up arena but filling with lousy cards

Really guys I understand you have Cyberpunk 2077 release on your neck but that doesn't mean that you can leave alone product that you are willing to support and develop. Gwent version on IOS is done, so please do something with this Sindicate deck. I'm not a pro player and it's just spoiling fun for me and destroying will of being better and better.

I'm giving up quickly you may say? I like when game is challenging but not almost impossible to win. Whats the point of collecting cards, upgrading started decks if the only message i have from the game is - buy Novigard barrels and play Sindicate. But i don't wanna. I also think that I am not alone (meaning I'm in a group of newbies learning the game and building decks).

To sum it up - game now is not so friendly to new players - they will just come and go to play another card game leaving you with society of pros or players that are playing long time and have enough collected cards to build decks that can stand against this OP Syndicate deck.

PS. I'm writing it only because i'm a huuuuge fan of CD Project and everything it does, also I really like Gwent the best from all cards games available and I just wish myself and other players to still have fun and continuously grow bigger and bigger on cards games market.

Every time I face SY, I simply don't want to play anymore. It's a repeat, but the design of everything this faction has is absolutely horrific. A coin mechanic that is uninteractable, playing nothing on the board so no damage can be taken, while at the same time saving coins AND improving the hand AND putting bounties on units AND poisoning them so that the opponent's units can be wiped from the board with cheap units that can repeat ping damage so that no coin is wasted and creating huge point swings. Seriously, wtf? This is legitimized cheating, creating a faction that is so much more uninteractable than any other, playing the game "outside the rules" for Gwent. I don't understand what the devs are thinking, if they actually thought about Gwent's base mechanics and ground rules properly at all. Unfortunately that is applicable to quite a lot of things at the moment. Continue like this and a Homecoming 2.0 will be needed.

Top Bottom