What’s Your Opinion of Thronebreaker? [Spoilers]

+
After I calmed a little down.

I see that single save is what destroyed this game. What an stupid idea.
Hello, you can always manage your saves manually. If you are using Windows, you can try to check path
%userprofile%\AppData\LocalLow\CDProjektRED\Thronebreaker\SaveData
You can copy save files there out of their folder somewhere else and then if you need to load older save, just quit game, copy files from where you have them stored into default save folder (it will ask for rewriting your current position) and load your saved game from main menu. Heureka :)

Thronebreaker was cool, but I have to admit that.... it was a little bit too much long.
Maybe by focusing the story a little bit (10ish hours less... XD) it would have been better and more engaging (for the same price, I mean, I don't want to say to reduce the game lenght by 25 % and drop the price accordingly... quality over quantity).
Puzzles have been my favourite part (it's a PvE, so AI is not particularly challenging in the standard 3 round games) but could have been a little more interesting ones (I loved many of them, such as the one with cow/fields/farmers, ecc).
Also many standard battles could have been cut (many were a little bit repetitive?).

But big shoutout to dilemmas (SPOILER - Villem's destiny is in your hand): very very meaningful. Good job here.
Overall a good game! (just cut the length of next stories to have the best results! XD)

Presentation of the storytelling was fantastic. Loved the style of the game - I think this type of game is great as a bridge - they could literally use this kind of game to intro the next set of Witcher games if they intend to go that route. It's a great way to meet characters and set the world up.

I thought the puzzles absolutely sucked. They were not even a little bit enjoyable for me. Next time I play the game I'll probably switch the game to easy so I can just opt out of those.

Hello, you can always manage your saves manually. If you are using Windows, you can try to check path
%userprofile%\AppData\LocalLow\CDProjektRED\Thronebreaker\SaveData
You can copy save files there out of their folder somewhere else and then if you need to load older save, just quit game, copy files from where you have them stored into default save folder (it will ask for rewriting your current position) and load your saved game from main menu. Heureka :)
Sadly PS4 :(

I loooooooooved it! Finished it a while back, the story is nice and choosing one evil over another system is quite well balanced.

The only 'boring' aspect for me was the actual battles. Not the puzzles, those were fun! It's just that at some point, pretty early on actually, I figured out a deck that kept working all the way till the end. Just repeat the same strategy over and over, with few exceptions. Usually traps with movement, and rows of fire.

The 'economy' was weird too, ended up with 43K gold and whatnot wood, after getting all the cards and buildings. And played on hardest setting. There was rarely a challenge, played it to the end only for the story. And GWENT benefits of course.

What would have made it more fun? Maybe if a card destroyed in battle was also removed from deck, so you'd actually have to worry about card consumption and economy, to build more cards and so on. Especially since it seemed like NG had soooo many more cards, in line with the story of the larger army.

And then dialog options like 'so many soldiers lost their lives' or 'so much blood spilled', would have made actual sense because of the loss of cards.

Jolly good! I won 203-0, R3, against the drunken Katakan on (hard).

Anyone beat that?

(awaits some ridiculous screenshots)

I bet it is and I'll happily buy other CDPR games, Cyberpunk is very anticipated but Gwent is not taking heed of other TCGs.
With some hesitation, I'd like to respond to this a bit more over here:

Although I can understand your frustration with Gwent's fluctuations, dismissing Thronebreaker may not actually translate into a protest of the multiplayer. True, the two games are related, at least in a few core mechanics, and, yes, CDPR profits from sales. However, in my experience, supporting Thronebreaker supports interest in an artful, story-driven, single-player adventure, and is not necessarily a one-to-one vote of confidence for the competitive card game's development. In many respects, they are quite different products, and were even marketed so.

Traditionally, CDPR's strength has been their ability to deliver good narratives, with engaging characters, and provocative choices. I'd say Thronebreaker's strongest point is, indeed, still its story (with the music and art close behind), rather than the card battles and puzzles. For me, at least, the latter were more of an amusing novelty than a major attraction. Personally, I found that the talented writing, the fine work of the illustrators, and the memorable musical compositions outshone the unusual card-game framework. Overall, these artistic achievements were far more impressive than the rather restricted gameplay mechanics, which created an awkward, disjointed feeling in places. This Witcher Tale is a curious beast, a hybrid.

Likewise, Gwent the multiplayer is, to my mind, still very much an experiment for the REDs and there's still plenty of room for improvement. (It is, after all, their first large-scale multiplayer, and quite a break from their roots.) However, I'm not sure if shunning Thronebreaker is the most compelling means of demonstrating dissatisfaction with Gwent's balancing. It may merely reinforce the message that gamers don't like the single-player.

Naturally, I'm not trying to tell you how to spend your money. That's entirely up to you. But, if you were previously interested in Thronebreaker, for its own sake, I hope I have pointed out a few of the more interesting differences, which set it apart from on-line Gwent.

With some hesitation, I'd like to respond to this a bit more over here:

Although I can understand your frustration with Gwent's fluctuations, dismissing Thronebreaker may not actually translate into a protest of the multiplayer. True, the two games are related, at least in a few core mechanics, and, yes, CDPR profits from sales. However, in my experience, supporting Thronebreaker supports interest in an artful, story-driven, single-player adventure, and is not necessarily a one-to-one vote of confidence for the competitive card game's development. In many respects, they are quite different products, and were even marketed so.

Traditionally, CDPR's strength has been their ability to deliver good narratives, with engaging characters, and provocative choices. I'd say Thronebreaker's strongest point is, indeed, still its story (with the music and art close behind), rather than the card battles and puzzles. For me, at least, the latter were more of an amusing novelty than a major attraction. Personally, I found that the talented writing, the fine work of the illustrators, and the memorable musical compositions outshone the unusual card-game framework. Overall, these artistic achievements were far more impressive than the rather restricted gameplay mechanics, which created an awkward, disjointed feeling in places. This Witcher Tale is a curious beast, a hybrid.

Likewise, Gwent the multiplayer is, to my mind, still very much an experiment for the REDs and there's still plenty of room for improvement. (It is, after all, their first large-scale multiplayer, and quite a break from their roots.) However, I'm not sure if shunning Thronebreaker is the most compelling means of demonstrating dissatisfaction with Gwent's balancing. It may merely reinforce the message that gamers don't like the single-player.

Naturally, I'm not trying to tell you how to spend your money. That's entirely up to you. But, if you were previously interested in Thronebreaker, for its own sake, I hope I have pointed out a few of the more interesting differences, which set it apart from on-line Gwent.

The problem is by giving Gwent additional $ I am.essentially saying "Gwent is good and the devs are doing a good job". While Thronebreaker might be good, online Gwent is a catastrophe.

For starters, Skellige is obviously over developed. They do everything and do it well as a faction. That is on par with StarCraft 2 Terran on initial release and nearly killed the game, yet these devs did not learn from a massive corporation's mistakes.

Then you have this huge kneejerk reaction to u itless decks. Yes, they are annoying to vs and yes, they are not quite in line with what CDPR had in mind but they function a very integral role as a gatekeeper. They prevent order-centric decks from spiraling into tier 0.

It's also extremely lazy balancing. They could have addressed problem cards but instead they decided on a blanket fix which targets multiple decks and further enhances the tier 1 decks in this meta.

How can I support a dev team who does this when I have no recourse but to bend over and take it when changes go too far? Especially when balance changes are made on a "feel good" premise instead of statistics?

[...]

Edited. -Drac

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the game is even better the second time around, as the "I don't know what to upgrade first" is greatly diminished if not outright eliminated due to previous experience.
I did manage to mess up really, really badly by getting myself stuck with an invalid deck after changing regions, though... but was saved by the option to restart chapters. :p

Yes, you will already know the main plot but there are so many choices along the way that the story can turn out very different than the first time around.
I'm also finding tricky puzzles are still tricky, even though I've already finished them once. Some puzzles also seem way harder this time around; I guess luck is a factor in that.

On a side note, dialogue no longer pausing all the time (I think this even has a toggle in the options) makes the game a lot smoother.

I have a confession to make.

Today I killed Gabor Zigrin!

I never, never thought, a game with 2D isometric one-click mechanic could touch my heart. But it happened. I killed Gabor, and I'm so sad, that I couldn't keep playing. Angren has to wait. I have to somehow deal with Gabor's undeserved beheading.

:sad::sad::sad:

Guest 4336264

I'm a bit late to the party, but I'll make a few comments.

I actually enjoyed the Thronebreaker game. I completed it on the MEDIUM difficulty level in about 21 hours - doing all the puzzles, battles, etc., I could find. Annoyingly, I didn't find all the Golden Chests in certain maps (not looking at any walkthrough guides) and had to go back to the game a second time (this time playing on EASY so that I could skip the battles) and go step by step through the maps to discover all the chests... I wanted the premium version of the Witcher IVO for GWENT - which I have started to play again, despite Thronebreaker in no way preparing me for the supposed 'multiplayer' of Thronebreaker.

Overall, it was a pleasant experience playing through this game; although, sadly, it lacks any real incentive to be replayed once completed (barring searching for Chests and Cards for GWENT...). It has one campaign and only 5 maps. The maps are fairly big, but it's still not much when considering the original asking price (fortunately, I got it at a reduced price). Also, some of the rewards do not correctly translate into GWENT - being bugged, I guess.

I'd like to see additional campaigns - the ability to play from the perspective of other rulers - Empire, Dwarves, etc., etc., with different outcomes and endings (ultimately, as a game, I don't think it is necessary to force the ending to end according to the lore or the story. It should be a possibility, but also have options to diverge from lore and create alternative endings).

On the whole, it's a good game. It in no way prepares a player for multiplayer GWENT, and transitioning into GWENT from the back of Thronebreaker is hard - but not impossible (seeing the effects of BOMB HEAVER, as one example, - setting rows alight - changed to 'destroy artifact' is not great...).

I'd have preferred the battles to have utilised current GWENT cards and mechanics, rather than the cards be specially designed for Thronebreaker and then completely different in the supposed 'multiplayer' game of Thronebreaker - GWENT. Having some special battles and uniquely designed cards would have been fair enough if the STANDARD BATTLES had utilised GWENT cards and mechanics exactly as the play in the multiplayer GWENT at the time of Thronebreaker's release.

Apparently, Thronebreaker didn't sell as well as expected, and it looks as though Thronebreaker owners can expect to have no further updates, campaigns or DLC of any kind - which is a shame.

For those who enjoyed the BETA of GWENT, I'd highly recommend the game in that it's nothing like the current incarnation of GWENT (it plays more like the BETA).

For those who want to use Thronebreaker as a springboard into GWENT, I'd be hard pressed to recommend it - you'll spend 20 hours or more getting used to Thronebreaker mechanics, and have certain expectations as to how cards will play, only to find that in 'multiplayer' the cards abilities are completely different (and then have to spend several more hours getting used to the 'multiplayer').

For those who play GWENT and want the Thronebreaker cards, there's no other choice but to buy the game and play it...

Last edited by a moderator:
As someone who just started playing Gwent last September, I was very excited to try this game. If it was not that good, at least I would be adding some sweet cards to my collection. I mean, this was supposed to be an expansion, right?

I loved this game, to put it simply. The story was absolutely a blast to discover, the puzzles were fun as heck and even if the "Standard Battles" overstayed their welcome a bit, it was not something that held the game-rhythm down, to the point of being boring, imo. But more puzzles, less SBs would be my only complaint. A really minor one, to be honest.

Characters- this had superb stuff, specially Reynard and our Queen. I loved Meve in the small scenes she plays in the books, and having one game/story with her is just Amazing. I can say I was laughing out loud during the post-battle scenes on the Bridge. Its one of my favourite moments from the books, and I honestly would be really disappointed if we did not see it in game-form. It was terrific, CDPR has my eternal thanks for this bit alone.
I loved, LOVED the music, specially the piece in the final act (Aedirn). Really beautiful, and it kinda made me a bit emotional, honestly. CDPR, please NEVER give up on making games with mindblowing OSTs. I can honestly say that when I first played W1, the intro screen alone stopped me on my tracks and made me try the game even more.

I already figured that I missed a lot on my first playthrough, so this will be replayed, sooner than later. I did not find Knickers or Gimpy Gerwin, for 2 examples.

I hope that this once-an-expansion-for-a-game-born-of-a-mini-game-from-another-game will see sequels- the sales may not have been that great, but I hope its not a one and done game/series. I would love to see a game in this manner that is set around the time of the Conjuction. Or the birth of Witcher schools. Or Falka's story. Or the whole Skellige saga thingy, we could play Tyr or some other hero, during the time the clans are formed or so. So many possibilities, given the scope of the world and event-filled timeline + legendary characters.

TL; DR: I want more and hope that this was not a single effort. And I am in awe of what CDPR has done for games and fantasy-fans who love this franchise. Heartfelt thanks.

Last edited:
I thought the puzzles absolutely sucked. They were not even a little bit enjoyable for me. Next time I play the game I'll probably switch the game to easy so I can just opt out of those.

This. The puzzles were garbage which was a bit surprising considering their past history of making puzzles for fun events.

One fun "puzzle" that sticks out to me was literally a kids game of matching cards. lol

I like it, the card puzzles are fun, the story is interesting and the visuals are cool, but I get bored with it after a relatively short time and have to take a very long break before playing again.

Top Bottom