Whats your opinion on cheating?

+
It is a single player game so if someone wants to use cheats or exploits then that is their choice. It doesn't affect anyone other than themselves and they can decide whether the cheats/exploits made the game better or worse for them.

It all depends on how one would like to play the game but as long as it's not an MMO, then there shouldn't be any problem. I myself decided to use the weight reduction mod in the later stage due to my 160 weight bag is just not enough. Even though, I suppose it will be even better if pair with the wealthy merchant mod. Other than that, I will just keep it as it is.

Well at least now I know how some people finished the game so quickly.

Cheats in a single player game may not effect others directly, but they might indirectly. Suddenly what was a game that could take hundreds of hours to complete, suddenly takes 12 (a slight exageration but you get my point).

If that in turn effects how people are talking about the game and saying it can be completed really quickly or not as long as advertised or suggested, then we move into a whole different spectrum.

While cheating in a single player game may not have obvious effects, it does have the not-so-obvious ones.

But then... I'm one of those people who loathes cheating *shrug*, and I know I am. Should I change? no. It's just my pov :)

(I don't even like walkthroughs or guides tbh)

Last edited:
I may try the weight limit mod as well, I always found weight limits a very old mechanic. Its something I completely did away with in my D&D games because I found it un-fun. Thanks for all the contributions, glad were all able to stay civil =)

I finally decided to push past White Orchard last night btw, on the tower of mice quest now. Having a blast :D Hope no nasty bugs creep up, but I just couldnt resist the temptation heh. Death March really does make the game much more fun, atleast to me. Kudos to CDPR, so far the game is one of the best ive played in a long time.

If you cheat then you have no right to be an elitist prick which some people do.

Even though you don't see putting infinite gold and ruining the games economy as cheating, it is still not playing the game as intended.

But as stated in this thread, the only person you're cheating is yourself, but also spare people from listening to your rant on game mechanics if you never
adhered to the games mechanical workings in the first place.

If you cheat then you have no right to be an elitist prick which some people do.

Even though you don't see putting infinite gold and ruining the games economy as cheating, it is still not playing the game as intended.

But as stated in this thread, the only person you're cheating is yourself, but also spare people from listening to your rant on game mechanics if you never
adhered to the games mechanical workings in the first place.

Didn't think I was ranting =/ just making some conversation, no complaining involved =)

I say play the game like you enjoy it. It is single player experience so only person who matters is you and noone else. None can tell you what is bad way to play because if you ruin some experience to someone it can be only yourself. I for instance used infinite inventory mode and I have to tell you it was pleasure not beign forced to visit the merchants daily(like I was before installing modes). Don´t you enjoy gathering in game money? Why not to use infinite money then? If it improves experience for you it is best way to go. Unlike in mp games where you could call it cheating because you want stand fair ground in interaction with other people. Modes like this are just...hmm... helping the cause I would say,

Was it about my post asking for console commands on consoles? if so read my post again carefully.

No :)

TBH I just read the first post of this thread and posted because I've run into other people preaching that they are the voice of perfection in other threads only to find out they've been cheating their way through the game and seem to think their opinion is superior when they have cheated the mechanics in the game.

It's like the people who put god mode on in DarkSouls, DemonSouls or Bloodborne and think they can give proper commentary on how to fight bosses.

Last edited:
No :)

TBH I just read the first post of this thread and posted because I've run into other people preaching that they are the voice of perfection in other threads only to find out they've been cheating their way through the game and seem to think their opinion is superior when they have cheated the mechanics in the game.

It's like the people who put god mode on in DarkSouls, DemonSouls or Bloodborne and think they can give proper commentary on how to fight bosses.

Sure, but it isn't happening in this thread, so maybe you should calm down a little?

And, back to the topic, I used a weight mod in this game, and I'll use it on first playthrough in most games when I can. Simply because I'm paranoid about throwing something useful away. My personal preference, and I'm not using it now on my second playthrough because I know how inventory works now.

Sure, but it isn't happening in this thread, so maybe you should calm down a little?

And, back to the topic, I used a weight mod in this game, and I'll use it on first playthrough in most games when I can. Simply because I'm paranoid about throwing something useful away. My personal preference, and I'm not using it now on my second playthrough because I know how inventory works now.

I am calm and the thread is called ' what is your opinion on cheating?" so I gave my opinion on cheating so it was always on topic.

Doesn't that paranoia add to the game though? I know I am within 15 units of my max weight and every mission I end up overburdened because I just can't help keep hold of some bits lol

Ah, in that case, I only cheat if I simply cannot overcome an obstacle even after googling tips or whatever. It doesn't happen often, but it has.

So, I buy a chicken. Do you know how many ways you can prepare chicken? I haven't counted but I'll bet I could have a different meal every day for a long time. And you know what? That's a big part of why chickens are a $50 billion a year business.

So, what does that have to do with games? The bigger the industry the better the games. So, how to expand? The big selling titles cost many millions to produce and market. And it's a risky business to get into. For example, Kingdoms of Amalur was a pretty good game but it lost a lot of money and put Studio 38 out of business.

To leverage the investments DLCs are now ubiquitous. But they take time and money, and they are also a financial risk. So, how to make the business more profitable and less risky? I think that the Skyrim experience points the way. There are more than 40,000 mods available that have made it an immeasurably better game but they don't provide any revenue. There are, however, a couple of mods there that are fully blown, high quality, DLCs. But again, no revenues. Why not open a game for independently produced DLCs, then market them and pay royalties to the producer? You get more DLCs much quicker at

---------- Updated at 04:33 PM ----------

---CONTINUED----

You get more DLCs much faster and at no financial risk. We are seeing crowd funded titles such as Might and Magic X and Wasteland II that are pretty good games but obviously cheapies. They have to bear the costs of production (engine, marketing, etc.) which detract from the game itself. I'll bet that if a major game company adopted a strategy of soliciting and paying for content we would see scads of independent producers, both indies and dedicated small studios, enter the market.

And guess what? We gamers would be half way to heaven.

I can't say I care what other people do in their single player games, but I personally don't cheat, ever. There is always something here or there that I think could have been done better or that I would enjoy more with or without such and such and, you know, what have you... but with a game like the Witcher especially, I feel like it's a hand crafted work of art that a lot of people put so much of their lives into. I would feel bad changing it, even a little. This world has been made to be explored and enjoyed, and every thing about it makes it a unique experience. Even the endless grinding I've had to do with some games gives me fond memories here and there, especially when I could do it with friends or share it with them. Call me a hopeless romantic, maybe. Even with my busy life schedule now where I can't sit and game 10+ hours a day every day..... I still find my way to become immersed in a game if it's worth playing. Quirks and all.

Of course, I haven't had bugs and issues that others have had, but that is a regular part of a game release. I just make due or leave it be until the right patch when I do come across some bad ones.

I'll echo the "I don't care how people play their [single player] games" sentiment. There are some things I don't enjoy in games, such as inventory-related things (playing tetris or thinking about the weight... I make exceptions in some games, where survival is an important part for example, but for the most part, I don't like it), and farming/grinding. I like working for my stuff, but if "working" equals killing 1000 nekkers... yeah, no.

Multiplayer is a different beast, of course, I absolutely do not support cheating in that case. The only exception being private servers where everyone knows what they're getting into - as long as it doesn't mesh with players who aren't cheating.

I often do a cheat-free first run in a game, and when I have beaten it by regular means, then I go for a cheat-spree in the second round.

Top Bottom