When this game amazed you the most [TW3 spoilers]

+
When was the moment when you said" ok this game is masterpiece. " For me it was when I got on Skellige .

I only knew Skellige is group of 6 islands I didn't know anything about them. At the start my picture of Skellige was something like this :

Islands full of regual fishermans, with their small boats, swarmed with drowners, constant rain , no mountains . If you remember that quest " A towerful of mice " and that cursed island , well that how I imagined Skellige will look like ( without tower ). I was thinking world and missions will be boring there.

Imagine my surprise when I got into Skellige . Beautiful world with amazing mountains , vegetation and nature in general. My surprise was even bigger when I saw Skellige people are based on vikings , they have their own unique design , accent , culture , history. Also druids were very pleasant surprise. But when I saw Kaer Trolde I realised this game is amazing , flawless masterpiece.

Hey,
for me I guess some moments of baron quest, the idea of Wild Hunt and escape before them from White Orchand, some Ciri moments, play-through on the skellige feast to get mask of Uroboros, space-time travel quest with Avallach, getting sun stone, finding Ciri on that isle and everything about it... there would be much more, but I don' remember everything.

I liked how all the important characters (main and secondary) "were" in the world, had motives and personalities and goals; also change of atmosphere from political seriousness to some funny stuff... - but the puns or whatever were sometimes too much killing for me :)

The writing is strong - even for "non-main-event" quests - like rescuing dandelion, all the stuff with Menge, Whoreson Junior, "Hym and the baked baby" quest was really interesting, alive, inspiring and everything - had definitely atmosphere, decisions, was well structured with well played endings.

The Yennefer quest with the Djiin was like... perfect - maybe a bit more of... the ending ? The Djiin captured-> wish granted-> let's sit. was maybe too fast for me :)
Trisses romance seqeunces and escape from Novigrad were also perfect - I really liked that moments with each character were unique to their personality and you could get some hot stuff with Yennefer, calm stuff with Triss and shit stuff with Djikstra, kings and all their messy politics :)

New king/queen for Skellige and the quests for his childs were also perfect.

For me, the game was perfect, where it needed to be, but some secondary "things" like too big maps, un-interesting non-rewarding-to-find treasures, maybe too ... sterile? crafting system, combat, and definitely ALCHEMY - were quite pain sometimes.

Oh, and the final and the endings ... :)

Witcher 3 is top :)

I had pretty high expectations going in, and based on TW1 and TW2, I wasn't really worried about being disappointed. But I would say that I started shaking my head in amazement after the 4th or 5th side-quest. Realizing that literally every single thing I could do, main quest or side quest, resulted in a polished, narrative arc and all of the NPCs were fleshed out and memorable...then realizing the sheer number of quests, missions, contracts...

That's where my mind started to blow.

Hmmm. Interesting question. . . I'd say I was first amazed when Geralt leapt down that well in White Orchard, in the Devil by the Well quest. This mayn't seem like a terribly monumental event, however, the level's design impressed me. The setting seemed natural, and well connection with the surrounding environment. This was probably the initial occasion on which I said to myself, 'Now that was clever.' Of course, that was only one, early, instance. There were many others -- usually in the form of subtle details, which gave me pause to smile in admiration at the care and attention the Team had invested in the game.

When Orianna began to sing and I finally realized that the launch trailer of the game was actually a sequel to the things happening in B&W.

There were many times this game amazed me, but the very first time was at the beginning of the tutorial in KM. Instead of going down the stairs after chatting with Yen, I stepped onto the balcony, and the sheer beauty of the vista blew my mind.

Ambassador Var Attre that conversation with him talking about current events was brilliantly done. But the moment that made me smile and while honestly tearing up with joy, was when Johnny got his voice back. Nothing could of prepared my for what he said, pissing myself laughing, creased up and almost shit myself through straining. The dialog throughout the game is quirky, memorable and emotional. Abra kadabra hocus pocus, Geralt says it with no emotion what so ever but yet you feel the sarcasm, I know everyone knows where and when Geralt says this. All the Dwarfs know Geralt, "Geralt of Riv". The world feels lived in even in the wilderness, when you pan the camera and get a nice angle of the moon or the sun has just dropped beneath the tree line and the sky is filled with red clouds that clash against the canopy. This game holds so many wonders you just need to slow down to see and appreciate all of them.

Velen was when I noticed it was a masterpiece visually, and the baron quest in terms of storytelling.

By Skellige, the visual aspect was on a whole other level, and I'd come to see the level design as a masterpiece as well.

The first moment that struck me was going to Novigrad and realizing just how large that city truly is. I've never seen anything quite like it in decades of gaming.

I started to realize how amazing this game and really started to capture my interest and climb the ranking of "top games I ever played" is when we got to Novigrad.

After I finished the Devil by the Well contract and started thinking about it. What at first seemed like a cliche "go kill the evil monster opressing the poor villagers" story turned out to be an emotional and sad story about the rough life during times of war. The "demon" was the anguished spirit of a woman who was victim of a terrible and coward atrocity, who couldn't get rest and acted violently against anyone who got close to her bracelet, to which she was attached. And the whole investigation you have to do and having to pay attention to the details makes it all so fun, and Geralt ends it acting like a redeemer, giving her peace. The story was as human and as spiritual as possible, tempered with amazing elements of fantasy and mythology.

Last edited:
After I finished the Devil by the Well contract and started thinking about it. What at first seemed like a cliche "go kill the evil monster opressing the poor villagers" story turned out to be an emotional and sad story about the rough life during times of war. The "demon" was the anguished spirit of a woman who was victim of a terrible and coward atrocity, who couldn't get rest and acted violently against anyone who got close to her bracelet, to which she was attached. And the whole investigation you have to do and having to pay attention to the details makes it all so fun, and Geralt ends it acting like a redeemer, giving her peace. The story was as human and as spiritual as possible, tempered with amazing elements of fantasy and mythology.

And I loved how the story evolved throughout the prologue. How the herbalist was close friends with the girl that became the wraith...how the hunter was a lover of the lord's son, and it was that reality that played into the lord becoming so cruel...how much better off White Orchard seems under the Nilfgaardians than the old lord.

Many lives touched by that story in indirect ways.

Guest 3847602

Even though the Novigrad portion is by far my least favourite part of the game, I have to give credit to what CDPR did with introduction of Priscilla and Wolven Storm.
Musical intermezzo in video games is incredibly difficult to nail (obviously, the timing have to be right as well as the voice of the performer, lyrics and melody) and as such carries a big risk for major embarrassment. The only other relatively recent success I can think of would be AC4: Black Flag (incidentally, the song there was performed by the VA of Cerys, Sarah Greene).
There are certainly more impactful moments in this game, but this one stands out to me as a sign of the studio with full confidence in itself and talent to back it up.

It was while roaming around in White Orchard. There was always there was something to do, fight, or find wherever I went. The whole area looked great. Then I saw the sunset.

I already liked the game a lot when I just did the initial contracts in White Orchard - the storytelling around Missing in Action, Devil by the Well - the interaction with Mislav and Tomira, the choice of whether or not to give Lena the Swallow potion...

Then came the Bloody Baron. Laughed my ass off at some of his lines.

But what really made me realise the game is a masterpiece, was the quest with the witched of Crookback Bog - Ladies of the Wood & The Whispering Hillock. Wow.

This part of the game was so good that I was starting to think I must be getting close to the end. But that wasn't the case at all, in fact, the game was only just getting started and I've had many, many moments like that after.

[Edited -- SigilFey]

Last edited by a moderator:
Graphics, dialog oh and i picked some random shitty book up ingame, read it and that blew my fruitcake mind. Book was about the treeheart and the crones

I already liked the game a lot when I just did the initial contracts in White Orchard - the storytelling around Missing in Action, Devil by the Well - the interaction with Mislav and Tomira, the choice of whether or not to give Lena the Swallow potion...

Then came the Bloody Baron. Laughed my ass off at some of his lines.

But what really made me realise the game is a masterpiece, was the quest with the witched of Crookback Bog - Ladies of the Wood & The Whispering Hillock. Wow.

This part of the game was so good that I was starting to think I must be getting close to the end. But that wasn't the case at all, in fact, the game was only just getting started and I've had many, many moments like that after.

[Edited -- SigilFey]
Ladies of the wood is moment when I said to myself this is best game I have ever played . Even today that quest is best quest I played in any game.

I just yesterday replayed the Ciri Empress ending... it was so poignant and such a bittersweet moment.
CDPR I hope CP2077 lives up to the standards of story telling that you've set for yourself in TW3.

Guest 2091327

Think it's really hard to pinpoint that now so long after I started playing it. Okay, I waited a long time before buying it, until it was playable on Linux (shame on you CDPR for dropping Linux support), but still.

I do however vividly remember that the first thing I did, after exploring the room with Yennefer a bit, was to walk out on the balcony. Holy dwarf shit. That's a view to kill for. Really.

Beyond that, the whole Baron quest line was wonderful, and there are many other impressive ones too.

There aren't as many soul-wrenching decisions as in Witcher 1, but they are there.

Then you have the heart-string-pulling quests or moments, like Isle of Mists and when Priscilla sings. And of course, the Kaer Morhen battle. Damn, that was tough to take on the chin...

Going back to the topic at hand, I think the decisive "HOLY SHIT" moment(s) are early in the game. That's when the game truly sets itself apart from the muck that usually comes out these days (and for many years now). Seeing the view on the balcony, seeing Ciri train below, seeing Ciri for the first time at all, seeing Yennefer in White Orchard, and then finally that impressive cutscene with the chase. Then you come to Velen and are greeted by a tree with bodies hanging from it (and one poor academic with missing boots...)

"Move like a butter-fly, sting like CDPR."

Top Bottom