When will the game be finished?

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mistranslated and spread on reddit:

FALSE:

"While there are some areas in the Witcher 3 where villagers don’t have a daily routine, they are planning to improve this with giving more than a thousand NPCs a handmade routine."

CORRECTION:

Most people have Automated Routines from a pool which can divert into branching options. Its mostly randomized but remains believable.

https://forums.cdprojektred.com/index.php?threads/corrected-german-podcast-translation.11032286/

I stand corrected, thank you for this. I remembered it from the 2018 gameplay video which I apparently misremembered. Wasn't spread just on reddit BTW. It was spread by pretty much everyone including medias.

Still, "we've greatly enhanced our crowd and community system to create the most believable city in any open-world game to date. The city's streets are bustling with crowds of people ... all living their lives within a full day and night cycle". No translation issue here.

That's something they had apparently achieved in 2018. Or so does the use of past tense implies. Yet, here we are in 2021 with NPCs popping in and out of existence, entire areas devoid of life because cars and pedestrians sometimes spawn in weird ways, etc. Routines? They don't do much more than 1 or 2 things. NC is certainly a gorgeous city and very believable, their crowd system though, not even close. Yes, yes, I know, WIP tag but there is a vast difference between saying "we've greatly enhanced" and "we want to greatly enhance".

Anyway, far from me to turn this into another 2018 gameplay video thread. My point is that they had envisioned something much greater than what they delivered and I'm not confident they will ever reach that point.

[/QUOTE]
CDPR stated a couple of times that they're very satisfied with the game's current state. It has even returned to PS Store.

Do u really believe that? Do you really believe they are satisfied with that big bold warning not to download it? Kinda naiv....

Do u really believe that? Do you really believe they are satisfied with that big bold warning not to download it? Kinda naiv....[/SIZE]
Yes, I can play with words, but "satisfied" is not "glad/happy".
When at school you have a "satisfactory" evaluation, it is probably closer to 5/10 than to 10/10, and also with a mention "Not bad, but can do best" :)

Do u really believe that? Do you really believe they are satisfied with that big bold warning not to download it? Kinda naiv....
[/QUOTE]

I believe that because the developers of the game said so themselves, and CDPR regained the full trust of Sony. What's so naive about that? It's been their number one priority since the removal. It's what they worked so hard for. Sony gave them a trial and they passed it.

I believe that because the developers of the game said so themselves, and CDPR regained the full trust of Sony. What's so naive about that? It's been their number one priority since the removal. It's what they worked so hard for. Sony gave them a trial and they passed it. ..

I believe that what @Romy_Zaini meant was that it's naïve to believe CDPR's statement that they are satisfied about the state of the game when the game currently comes with a big bold warning about it's state on the PSN store.

And regained the full trust of Sony? Please, it was never about trust or even the state of the game per se. Sony pulled the game off the PSN because CDPR put them in a though spot with the refund campaign. Sony wasn't ok with basically being strong armed into refunding games.

I believe that what @Romy_Zaini meant was that it's naïve to believe CDPR's statement that they are satisfied about the state of the game when the game currently comes with a big bold warning about it's state on the PSN store.

And regained the full trust of Sony? Please, it was never about trust or even the state of the game per se. Sony pulled the game off the PSN because CDPR put them in a though spot with the refund campaign. Sony wasn't ok with basically being strong armed into refunding games.
From what I understood, and what I find makes sense, is that Sony removed the game from their shop because it was crashing for a lot of PlayStation players. Pretty sure CDPR had talks with Sony, explained what was done to fix the issues with the game on the console, maybe Sony tested the game to see for themselves, and when they were convinced the game would run fine without any serious issues, they re-added the game to their store.

I don't believe Sony, or anyone else for that matter, would add/ re-add any IP of an untrusted source.

From what I understood, and what I find makes sense, is that Sony removed the game from their shop because it was crashing for a lot of PlayStation players. Pretty sure CDPR had talks with Sony, explained what was done to fix the issues with the game on the console, maybe Sony tested the game to see for themselves, and when they were convinced the game would run fine without any serious issues, they re-added the game to their store.

I don't believe Sony, or anyone else for that matter, would add/ re-add any IP of an untrusted source.

Again, it has nothing to do with "trust" and everything to do with refunds.

Sony's refund policy is crap. CDPR's refund campaign was the right thing to do. That campaign put Sony is a situation where refunds were expected. Arguably, it's a good thing as Sony's policy is crap as previously stated but not something Sony approved of. Obviously Sony has the bigger end of the stick and they much preferred CDPR handled refunds directly. No game was ever pulled from the PSN regardless of their state before CP2077. The only thing that sets apart CP2077 from other poor launches is that refund campaign from CDPR which, again, was the right thing to do and in all honesty a pretty decent move from CDPR.

Have they added the game back on the store because they "trust" the game is in a better spot? Sure, they obviously tested it this time around, but they also made it very obvious that the game still doesn't perform to satisfactory levels on old-gen.

Guest 3847602

Wasn't spread just on reddit BTW. It was spread by pretty much everyone including medias.
Unfortunately, that's pretty much how most of gaming media works in the era of clickbait journalism. Everyone needs clicks, everyone needs a topic to write about or make a video on, very, very few have actual sources or bother to triple-check the accuracy of news they're reporting. :shrug:
Still, "we've greatly enhanced our crowd and community system to create the most believable city in any open-world game to date. The city's streets are bustling with crowds of people ... all living their lives within a full day and night cycle". No translation issue here.
Of course, there is obvious exaggeration and oversell in their marketing material, just not to the extent sizeable chunk of the internet thinks.
Yes, yes, I know, WIP tag but there is a vast difference between saying "we've greatly enhanced" and "we want to greatly enhance".
It could simply mean "enhancing the crowd system from their most recent game, TW3". In 2018, nobody complained about the crowd in Novigrad, Oxenfurt or Beauclair. They had less routines, less NPC models and many of them were just standing in place. CP2077 is the improvement over that.
But, you're most probably correct. It's likely that they had something more ambitious planned. Whether it's the engine that made them hit the wall or it's about performance, we'll never know...

instead of {finished} I prefer to say {achieved} in every sense of the word.
there was so much damage to the making of the game that making it {realized} has become, {in the sense of Work and Money; the Death and taxes} unrealizable.
as for the DLCs to come, well there is another term {hope}.

notice; Will the promised DLCs live up to CDPR's promises? this is the thorniest question. regarding {DLC} and {CP-2077} has become, moreover, {enigmatic}.
{new car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team...}

Last edited:

I believe they are satisfied to get the money from the PS4 crowd. I have the theory that they expected most of the gamers to have upgraded to PS5 by now. The complete inability for anyone to get next generation consoles is something that threw their strategy for a loop. Not only was the game poorly optimized for last generation consoles but the vast majority of gamers were still using them and will be well into 2022.

instead of {finished} I prefer to say {achieved} in every sense of the word.
there was so much damage to the making of the game that making it {realized} has become, {in the sense of Work and Money; the Death and taxes} unrealizable.
as for the DLCs to come, well there is another term {hope}.

notice; Will the promised DLCs live up to CDPR's promises? this is the thorniest question. regarding {DLC} and {CP-2077} has become, moreover, {enigmatic}.
{new car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team...}

My view is the fact that I think a lot of the game can still be improved but they should adjust their plans based on fan feedback. I'm not sure what would be the most satisfying things they COULD add, though

Im intrigued, but sceptical too. More resources towards everything but cyberpunk.

It's apparently selling 2nd best for Playstation 5 so that's good for the long term health of the product.

Its basically the Resident Evil movies with Mila Jovovich now.

Everyone seems to hate them critically and the fans too but they still go to see them.

It's apparently selling 2nd best for Playstation 5 so that's good for the long term health of the product.

Its basically the Resident Evil movies with Mila Jovovich now.

Everyone seems to hate them critically and the fans too but they still go to see them.
The game sure will experience a big amount of customers in the first weeks after all there are many many countries where physical copies don't get sold at all and your only shot is to get the digital one. 2021 was a pretty bad gaming year in general some thirsty gamers need to get something.

Of course, there is obvious exaggeration and oversell in their marketing material, just not to the extent sizeable chunk of the internet thinks.

Nor is it as minimal as some people make it out to be.

It could simply mean "enhancing the crowd system from their most recent game, TW3". In 2018, nobody complained about the crowd in Novigrad, Oxenfurt or Beauclair. They had less routines, less NPC models and many of them were just standing in place. CP2077 is the improvement over that.
But, you're most probably correct. It's likely that they had something more ambitious planned. Whether it's the engine that made them hit the wall or it's about performance, we'll never know...

Sure, if you read it separately from the rest of the quote it could mean that. When taken in context with the rest of the quote, it's quite clear that isn't what they mean. Again, the use of the past tense in that quote suggests that they had actually achieved it by 2018. Shouldn't it stand to reason that the final product reflects, at the very least, something resembling "the most believable city in any open world to date"? NC's artistic and architectural design is top notch and definitely the best looking city in any game out there but the quote itself refers directly to the crowds system.

We are very, very far from this and I highly doubt this is even CDPR's goal anymore. I'd like to see it happen but if they couldn't be bothered to fix something as simple as the map zooming in and out in 7 months, I highly doubt they have any plan to reach something even close to their original vision anymore.

Guest 3847602

Nor is it as minimal as some people make it out to be.
From what I could see, this list covers the vast majority of what is widely perceived as "promised and expected, but missing features".
I could even add wallrunning and car customization. And yet, all of it is either something that CDPR said themselves it was removed or just some people's wishful thinking. There was no reason to assume any of those is going to be in the final game. Which, as we've seen, does absolutely nothing to impede people from throwing false accusations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom