When will we see some substantial content added?

+
I mean, I love playing Skyrim for the freedom I have, and I love Cyberpunk 2077 because the story is awesome and very fine writing. Both things are not exclusive.

It's not so much that they are exclusive to one another, it's that every studio is operating with a finite amount of resources.

Give a limitless budget and no time constraints to a studio and I'm certain most of them would be able to produce the single best game to ever exist. It's just not how product development, of any kind, works.

At some point you have to decide between having X and Y. Do you rework A because you just thought of B? Do you add D because you added C and D would be a logical add-on to C but doing so would take resources away from H?

Choices have to be made and I'd rather have different types of games than just reiterations of the same game over and over again. I still install Skyrim and Fallout 4 every now and again because I like them for what they are and feel like playing them. So far I'm doing the same with CP2077 and I like the fact they are very different games.

Skyrim
Infinite stuff to do

But the story is bad... Who cares you can make your own story.

In CDPR you are forced into their story with no escape from it
Well this kind of defines the difference between Bethesda and CDPR doesn't it.

Bethesda: absolutely dreadful writing. Truly dreadful. But the player can be a god.

CDPR: among the best writing out there, but your choice will be constrained as a result.

I don't think it's really possible to do both because good writing needs characters to face constraints (and in the case of "radiant" quests, an actual human being to bother to inure the stories with any personality). Story points have to be set up and developed ahead of time and delivered upon in a logical, rather than "the gameplay needs this to happen" way. Characters must behave consistent with their personalities, not dispense with their character traits whenever convenient for the plot. Without constraints you can't have any believable tension and are left with a constant feeling of "I don't care".

So it's horses for courses and a matter of taste.

Personally I used to love Bethesda up to about Oblivion because they just about managed to keep the writing going, at least in side content, in spite of their ethos of player wish fulfilment. But Skyrim just felt... Empty and generic. It not only turned me cold, it made me feel foolish for spending too much time in a game that felt on its face like a pointless sandbox. I *need* decent storytelling to justify my spending time in a game more than I enjoy freedom to do anything, anytime, anywhere.

But if you like sandboxes, CDPR was never known for them.

Last edited:
I really REALLY need new customisation options. Bring back all the clothes that existed, bring in new clothes, new tats loads, new eyes loads and cyber wear is a must. Basics.

Top Bottom