When Would You Purchase the Sequel?

+
Based on my experience with the Cyberpunk 2077 Launch, the length of time spent on patches and updates, plus the time taken for an expansion, I can’t see getting it till a year after release at the earliest. This allows for experiencing the game the way I’d expect video games at launch as well as avoiding the initial mechanics which will almost certainly be overhauled. Don’t look just at Cyberpunk 2077 but also at The Witcher 3. My gawd, they overhauled the gameplay mechanics AGAIN just in the last year with the Next Gen Update (which is something I may never forgive CDPR for).

Knowing that it will on UE and they will have a "better" idea of what they will do/go/improve (so I hope/expect a better state at release), probably at release :)
(Except if I'm highly disappointed by PL. Unlikely but possible, who know^^)

CDPR consistently has two historical negatives to their games, they are (at least) somewhat buggy at launch and they miss deadlines. :shrug: For better or worse, I do think if CDPR sticks with Unreal Engine 5 after the next Witcher game ... that the bugs issue will probably be somewhat less. But regardless of what they do, I'll definitely buy it at launch as long as the gameplay looks good and the story sounds intriguing. They've all still been real fun to play, even at launch. Then again, I've never been bothered by bugs too much.

Last edited:
It’s not a question of when I buy it more the question if the CDPR management learnt their lesson and release polished stuff or not. They should listen to the devs and not some greedy shareholders.

„Coming when it’s ready“ - you know?

For me it depends on whether it's a sequel for V or not;
  • If my own research conclusions based on extensive story details in CP2077 and the sequel's own project hints are true, then I'm buying it the moment they tease V's voice for the sequel's reveal trailer, because there is no way I'll want to miss out on the next chapter of the story.
  • If I'm wrong however, then it'll be just a new Cyberpunk game for me to which I won't really have any meaningful attachment so at that point it depends on whether I'm interested in the game itself or not, along with whether it meets certain standards of mine. So I'll be waiting until release to see what it's like and then decide on whether I might get it.
My biggest concern about it other than V is the fact it's Unreal Engine, which is notorious for traversal stutters and horrible PC performance. I cannot recall a single Unreal Engine game that runs great on PC and doesn't suffer from one issue or another. Maybe Unreal Engine 5 is better, I haven't really put much research into it... but based on UE4 and UE3 I'm scared. CP2077 runs phenomenally for me on REDEngine.

In conclusion, I'm both incredibly curious and scared at the same time about what they might do with the sequel :D

Last edited:
  • If my own research conclusions based on extensive story details in CP2077 and the sequel's own project hints are true, then I'm buying it the moment they tease V's voice for the sequel's reveal trailer, because there is no way I'll want to miss out on the next chapter of the story.
  • If I'm wrong however, then it'll be just a new Cyberpunk game for me to which I won't really have any meaningful attachment so at that point it depends on whether I'm interested in the game itself or not, along with whether it meets certain standards of mine. So I'll be waiting until release to see what it's like and then decide on whether I might get it.
My biggest concern about it other than V is the fact it's Unreal Engine, which is notorious for traversal stutters and horrible PC performance. I cannot recall a single Unreal Engine game that runs great on PC and doesn't suffer from one issue or another. Maybe Unreal Engine 5 is better, I haven't really put much research into it... but based on UE4 and UE3 I'm scared. CP2077 runs phenomenally for me on REDEngine.

In conclusion, I'm both incredibly curious and scared at the same time about what they might do with the sequel :D
I think the issue is one of consistency. Cyberpunk runs fine for me, and it did so ever since I started playing (1.21, I think). But it famously didn't run fine for everyone in the early months -- it was hugely inconsistent, ran very very badly or glitchily for no apparent reason on machines with similar configs to those on which it ran fine, and was effectively unplayable on some consoles at launch.

The advantage of moving to a more widely used and better supported engine like Unreal is that it sets a baseline of usability and portability between platforms that means the studio doesn't have to reinvent the wheel to pull off a miltiplatform release.

To have a game run amazingly on some machines almost at random is great for the owners of those machines, but a bit of a disaster from a business perspective.

This is my train of thought. I feel like V's story isn't over quite yet. The way the endings were done tells me that they will pick up where those left off in the sequel since we're not getting a second expansion that would do that. But if I'm wrong, I'm not sure if I will buy it...unless the story draws me in enough.

So for me, I will need to see more and learn more about the story before I decide whether or not it's a launch-day purchase or a 'wait for a sale' purchase.

"WHEN WOULD YOU PURCHASE THE SEQUEL?"

- If the main protagonist is male only, I won't buy it.
- If the main protagonist can be both male or female, but the game is first person perspective only, I'll watch the modding community for a 3rd person mod and only buy when one is feasible.
- If the main protagonist can be both male or female, and the game can be played both in 1st and 3rd person perspective, I'll pre-order the moment pre-ordering is available on Steam.

Edit: - If the main protagonist can be both male or female, has cloth and hair physics, visible sheathed weapons and equipment, the game can be played both in 1st and 3rd person perspective, the main protagonist can be accompanied by a partner NPC or more for at least 95% of the game time, I'll pre-order the highest most expensive edition of the game the moment pre-ordering becomes available on Steam.

Last edited:
Probably as soon as it's available for PC. As far as I know, however, a sequel is still a long way off. Multiple years at least.

Probably as soon as it's available for PC. As far as I know, however, a sequel is still a long way off. Multiple years at least.
They have stated that once the expansion is done and released, they will begin working on it. I'm hoping it's not THAT far off, that maybe they at least have an idea of what they want to do, and with UE being the new engine, it may not be as much of an undertaking for them. I can wait two or three years for a sequel, especially if it continues V's story.
Post automatically merged:

"WHEN WOULD YOU PURCHASE THE SEQUEL?"

- If the main protagonist is male only, I won't buy it.
- If the main protagonist can be both male or female, but the game is first person perspective only, I'll watch the modding community for a 3rd person mod and only buy when one is feasible.
- If the main protagonist can be both male or female, and the game can be played both in 1st and 3rd person perspective, I'll pre-order the moment pre-ordering is available on Steam.
I highly doubt they would gender-lock us. That's why I'm hoping for a continuation of V's story, like Mass Effect, so can just bring our Vs into it and go from there. But I agree with you on the third-person option....at the very least, I would love it if they put the cutscenes in the third-person. I hate being stuck in first-person for cutscenes. I want to see my character talking and emoting. That's what immerses me in the story.

I dont think there will be compromise in 1st/3rd person views in sequel. If they decide that they are happy with 1st person (and I think they are a lot), they will keep it like it is. Its been said numerous times by devs that you cant have great design for two options. My guess is that they will keep it for CP2077 while Witcher games will have traditional 3rd person view mechanics.

If sequel is something like CP2077 i will play it without delay. In theory, because game has years to come. UE5 might be easier engine in many ways, but they still have to create proper tools to tell their story. It will still be first big project on a new thing (together with Witcher) so they will be learning while developing. Anyone who thinks that process will be a fast food to heat up, put on tray and deliver will be dissapointed.

Re: things taking a long time/1st-3rd person:

If they continue with the whole No-Cuts-All-Shot-In-One-Take-Birdman approach, then I hope they can approach it in a way that doesn't create the perfect environment for a whack-a-mole slew of bugs like it has with CP77. The impression I have from the devs is that it's one of the biggest reasons this game has been so hard and time-consuming.

If they want to keep things in first person with minimal cuts, fine, but I wonder if they need to change the way they deal with conversations, even with UE5. I'm fine if they visually lock them down somehow; i.e. don't allow the player to run off half way through a convo/story moment.

It just sounds like a massive drain on time and resources making sure things like - for example, during "I Fought the Law" - Han driving down the street after confronting him, making sure he turns a corner, etc., just in case players decide to follow him instead of talking to River. I mean, it sounds like it would've been a much cleaner solution to just animate V's POV for that entire scene, making sure the player finishes the conversation, instead of going through the hassle of scripting Han driving off, and driving off, and driving off, without hiccups (and also make sure the game doesn't break in case the player forgets to speak to River ever again).

They sort of already do it to an extent e.g. "The Pickup", when V's SAT DOWN on the couch, and then when everyone draws their weapons. I would be more than happy if all convos in the sequel end up animating V's POV (or whoever the protag is), if it'll make things easier. Plus I think they need to find creative ways to show V off more during the story e.g. mirrors, reflections, CCTV, braindances, dreams even - there are so many options to show them in third person WITHOUT actually breaking from first person.
Post automatically merged:

I highly doubt they would gender-lock us. That's why I'm hoping for a continuation of V's story, like Mass Effect, so can just bring our Vs into it and go from there. But I agree with you on the third-person option....at the very least, I would love it if they put the cutscenes in the third-person. I hate being stuck in first-person for cutscenes. I want to see my character talking and emoting. That's what immerses me in the story.

Honestly I think I'd also be fine with this if they end up going that route. Or at least a mixture of 1st and 3rd person cutscenes.

Last edited:
There's a few factors that would turn me off completely (fixed protag/no character customization, even less RPG features to name a few) but I would probably buy early again. Too soon to say, though the last three years have been quite frustrating to say the least and sometimes I feel like jumping ship after support for CP2077 ends.

There's a few factors that would turn me off completely (fixed protag/no character customization, even less RPG features to name a few) but I would probably buy early again. Too soon to say, though the last three years have been quite frustrating to say the least and sometimes I feel like jumping ship after support for CP2077 ends.
Honestly, I much prefer this (and am very impressed by this) compared to the Bethesda Skyrim attitude of "OK, we've made a huge amount of cash out of our game that still contains outrageous, game breaking bugs, let's stop doing any support at all and just start porting it to every platform imaginable to milk it".

That left a properly sour taste in the mouth. CDPR's attitude at least suggests they care about the player experience, not just the bottom line.

I get that people want to support CDPR but it’s interesting how the vast number of customers said they would never preorder from them again during or after the disastrous launch, and now all of that’s forgotten. It seems to me that this is simply enabling studios with putting out half finished products knowing that regardless of prior experiences players will simply gobble up whatever’s thrown at them.

I get that people want to support CDPR but it’s interesting how the vast number of customers said they would never preorder from them again during or after the disastrous launch, and now all of that’s forgotten. It seems to me that this is simply enabling studios with putting out half finished products knowing that regardless of prior experiences players will simply gobble up whatever’s thrown at them.
Ever heard of changing one's mind? It happens.

Top Bottom