Where does Claire go? Stalking Her for science! Race mission tiny spoiler

+
So I like to follow NPC after they say good bye to see how far the DEV programmed their departure behavior. Bethesda was really great at this (in part because of their "radiant behavior" system) and sometimes you would discover additional content that way.

Most NPC (like Judy after a mission about the clouds) will only head for a working food or bar that is out of the players sight line. Then sit down and sometimes run eating or smoking animations. Got to love how future Med Tec brings back smoking!

I am trying to figure out if the DEV has giving them a destination script or if they are running some kind of seek AI.

After the race with Claire she drops me off at her garage (strange why not my place?) and she bolts off on a road trip. I jump on my bike to follow.

OMG she went ALL OVER the city! So much so I was wondering if the AI was simply running random turn here whenever a cross road came up. Obstacles like stalled cars would stop her but as soon as I look away the game deletes the stalled car and she keeps on going. She obeys all traffic laws and lights and speed. And even stops for some walking NPC. So by this time I thought it was a random drive until the player stops seeing you thing.

However after about 1/2 hour of driving (yeah I have no life) she finally ends up BACK where we started and stops the car. I got in the car to talk to her but she was just in there rocking out to music and would not talk.

I wonder if this was a route or a timed out AI drive? If it was a scripted route the DEV sure put in a HELL of a lot of work to giver her turn by turn script to follow.

My bet is this is a Drive AI of some kind with a timer, makes more sense unless the DEV just thought it would be funny to lead the player around the city for 30 minutes if the player had nothing better to do...

I did the same with the car that picked up an injured guy from a mission to drive him to a ripper doc to get him patched up. I assume he died because the driver just drove him aimlessly around the city for 20 mins after the mission.

I did the same with the car that picked up an injured guy from a mission to drive him to a ripper doc to get him patched up. I assume he died because the driver just drove him aimlessly around the city for 20 mins after the mission.
What do you expect? Some creepy person was following him! You can't be too careful in Night City.

Rudo_

Forum regular
So I like to follow NPC after they say good bye to see how far the DEV programmed their departure behavior. Bethesda was really great at this (in part because of their "radiant behavior" system) and sometimes you would discover additional content that way.

Most NPC (like Judy after a mission about the clouds) will only head for a working food or bar that is out of the players sight line. Then sit down and sometimes run eating or smoking animations. Got to love how future Med Tec brings back smoking!

I am trying to figure out if the DEV has giving them a destination script or if they are running some kind of seek AI.

After the race with Claire she drops me off at her garage (strange why not my place?) and she bolts off on a road trip. I jump on my bike to follow.

OMG she went ALL OVER the city! So much so I was wondering if the AI was simply running random turn here whenever a cross road came up. Obstacles like stalled cars would stop her but as soon as I look away the game deletes the stalled car and she keeps on going. She obeys all traffic laws and lights and speed. And even stops for some walking NPC. So by this time I thought it was a random drive until the player stops seeing you thing.

However after about 1/2 hour of driving (yeah I have no life) she finally ends up BACK where we started and stops the car. I got in the car to talk to her but she was just in there rocking out to music and would not talk.

I wonder if this was a route or a timed out AI drive? If it was a scripted route the DEV sure put in a HELL of a lot of work to giver her turn by turn script to follow.

My bet is this is a Drive AI of some kind with a timer, makes more sense unless the DEV just thought it would be funny to lead the player around the city for 30 minutes if the player had nothing better to do...
After the (awful) the beast in me arch, i went straight to afterlife in my caliburn (as fast as i could) and there she was.
-"Hi V, need something?"
-some AI consistency please...

Saw a youtube video where a player followed takemura after the arasaka industrial park thing. He drove his van around, got out, then poof went to mikoshi.

I followed Judy after the Clouds quest and she goes to her car and immediately tries to do a 180, crashing into a car on the opposing lane. In my next playthrough I followed her again and she did the same crash. Too specific to be a coincidence, right? Haven't tried a 3rd time yet, maybe someone else can confirm this is a scripted event? Now the devs are either trying to make her look like a bad driver, or she's just very shocked after meeting Maiko :LOL:

I followed Judy after the Clouds quest and she goes to her car and immediately tries to do a 180, crashing into a car on the opposing lane. In my next playthrough I followed her again and she did the same crash. Too specific to be a coincidence, right? Haven't tried a 3rd time yet, maybe someone else can confirm this is a scripted event? Now the devs are either trying to make her look like a bad driver, or she's just very shocked after meeting Maiko :LOL:
I think it is "scripted" that she is supposed to be heading in the other direction. The accident is probably more about how the game handles traffic.

This video shows what happens when you follow Takemura after Gimme Danger. He goes "ninja vanish!" and disappears into Mikoshi.

When I followed her she went to a food booth and sat down. That (our difference) could indicate it is not scripted but some kind of wander AI that is set active by script. Or the direction she goes my be influenced by the choice the player made, I killed her friend in self defense did you?

The fact so many others see this 20 to 30 minute drive behavior indicates this is a simple general use AI sometimes applied (perhaps by script or by game engine code) to NPCs (or just the car) that are suppose to drive away from you.

Most users may know this already but there is a meaningful difference between script and game engine code. In simple terms the game code is used more for impromptu decisions where as a script is used more as a set plan to direct the engine.

So for various NPCs to drive a car for 20 minutes and make DIFFERENT turns (because they are in different locations) would seem to be ENG code not a script. This was one of the reasons Bethesda Fallout and TES game was relatively easy to mod, they used a LOT of game code systems and often all the mod maker had to do was write as little as 30 lines in a script (triggering a series of AI systems) for some very complicated looking behavior of the game and actors.

This could be yet another reason perhaps Todd Howard is so determined to keep using their engine. The years of systems built into it. Also there are not many game engines (even the most modern made these days) that are designed to log, track and remember ALL the XYZ positions and rotations and the various states of many thousands of individual objects (everything from all the forks in the game to all the weapons laying on the ground that can take a game month before they disappear) in the players unique game.

Maybe I should ask a moderator to move this thread to the MOD section of the forum?

Last edited:
When I followed her she went to a food booth and sat down. That (our difference) could indicate it is not scripted but some kind of wander AI. Or it is based on choice the player made, I killed her friend in self defense did you?
we're talking about different quests, yours is after the Clouds "revolution", and she does indeed go to the food booth, I was referring when V and Judy go to see Maiko to convince her to help, and (optionally) deal with Forest, that's when she goes to her van parked nearby.

Top Bottom