Where does the company's name come from?

+
Where does the company's name come from?

They've probably said it in some interview, in which case, I missed it.

Also, why the bird logo?

Sorry, I'm just very curious.

Well, CDP started as a distributing company, the CD stands for Central Distribution (iirc). Projekt is Project, obviously. RED is just used to distinguish the development studio.

As for the logo:

We are rebels and rebels are free. Just like birds. The Northern Cardinal, or REDbird, is what we see ourselves in the industry: intrepid, bold and confident; flying high and aiming even higher. The color, cardinal RED, is something that connects it with another bird, a mythological creature close to our cultural roots and heritage—the Rarog, a small firebird believed to bring luck to people. RED stands for energy, the inner fire that drives us; it represents something very close to everyone here in the studio—the creativity and passion we harness from within ourselves to make the best RPGs in the world.

I thought CD stood for CD as in Compact Disk.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-06-seeing-red-the-story-of-cd-projekt

"The second very important thing was CD-ROM. "People who were not a part of this don't remember how revolutionary it was. I mean what is Blu-ray?" scoffs Iwiński. "[CD] was 400-something floppy discs on one CD; it was a total game changer."
"The aptly named CD Projekt ("tseh-duh proiy-ekt", roll the r") was formed in spring 1994. "

But I could be wrong. Or maybe it being both was deliberate.

I thought CD stood for CD as in Compact Disk.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-06-seeing-red-the-story-of-cd-projekt

"The second very important thing was CD-ROM. "People who were not a part of this don't remember how revolutionary it was. I mean what is Blu-ray?" scoffs Iwiński. "[CD] was 400-something floppy discs on one CD; it was a total game changer."
"The aptly named CD Projekt ("tseh-duh proiy-ekt", roll the r") was formed in spring 1994. "

But I could be wrong. Or maybe it being both was deliberate.

Yeah, they've said that it's a play on that word, but I also seem to remember it having an actual meaning as well.

CD PROJEKT as a name comes from the early days of the company, when it was the first distributor in Poland to offer games on CD-ROM.

The RED add-on is connected to the city of Łódź, where the development studio was first based. It had an old factory in its logo(Łódź was an industrial centre, specializing in textile industry back in 19th century) and old manufactories/factories in Łódź were made of RED brick.

CD PROJEKT as a name comes from the early days of the company, when it was the first distributor in Poland to offer games on CD-ROM.

The RED add-on is connected to the city of Łódź, where the development studio was first based. It had an old factory in its logo(Łódź was an industrial centre, specializing in textile industry back in 19th century) and old manufactories/factories in Łódź were made of RED brick.

But were the brickmakers in Vizima Swamp building with RED bricks?

:hmm:

They'd better have. :p

CD stands for literally Compact Disc, since it was common to distribute games that way then. They mentioned it in one of the interviews.

Yes, I know CD also stands for Compact Disc, but I'm preeeetty sure there was some old interview - before the eurogamer one etc. - where they said it had another meaning. It's not Compact Disc Project. It's C-something Distribution Project. They were aiming for the CD acronym, because it also stands for Compact Disc. I just can't find the source >_> I swear I'm not crazy and imagining things, though. Probably.

Top Bottom