Where is everyone?

+
Gilrond-i-Virdan;n9799071 said:
Partially, but I think it's the usual hype period only presence that did it most.

No, it was CDPR's new attitude towards moderation. All due respect to the mods here, a friendly and dedicated bunch...but that's what it is. That and the pre-release bull shots. It's weird since TW3 is probably the most acclaimed RPG of all time, but there's barely a unified community behind it.

And cheers Gilrond. Sorry you never got the Linux version.

Last edited:
Garrison72;n9800251 said:
No, it was CDPR's new attitude towards moderation

I think current moderation is way milder than heavy handed brutal moderation of GuyNwah times.

Garrison72;n9800251 said:
That and the pre-release bull shots. It's weird since TW3 is probably the most acclaimed RPG of all time, but there's barely a unified community behind it.
Yeah, kind of weird. I expected TW3 to be popular long enough, to have more activity here on the forum. Seems like most either don't come here, or may be just never post anything.

About the Linux version - yeah, pretty upsetting, but Wine developers are making good progress and the game is close to fully playable in it already (few graphical glitches still remain). That said, CDPR's reputation is quite tarnished in my view now.

Gilrond-i-Virdan;n9800421 said:
I think current moderation is way milder than heavy handed brutal moderation of GuyNwah times.

Blessings be on Guy, not sure where he went but yeah, wait till '77. CDPR will likely kill the forums like Bioware did. I'd put money on it.

Sure is ironic that this thread is so busy.

While I haven't been around for very long, I do remember the tail end of the times when especially the Witcher 3 forum was buzzing with activity. Compared to that this forum really seems quite quiet, except for the ever-popular modding and tech support sections.

But hey, there have been a couple bigger topics started recently - and new players/users are clearly still joining every now and again. So it's not all emptiness and echoes of the past.

:cheers:

So I'm glad so see so many replies here, didn't think it were this many people left. But I have full understanding that Witcher 3 was mostly active during the release year and the year after.

Unfortunately I have no interest in Cyberpunk, not into much sci fi (sorry guys). Otherwise I'd gladly look into that forum :)

snowplough913;n9801591 said:
But I have full understanding that Witcher 3 was mostly active during the release year and the year after.

Nature of the beast, I'm afraid. The experience hits really hard the first time, and it's a magnificent journey. Once you've seen it, though, I don't think most players will come back over and over again. Unlike games like Skyrim or MMOs, there aren't really "wildly different paths" to take with completely different gameplay styles to explore. I also think that's why it worked so well -- every part of the game works in concert to deliver a carefully crafted experience. It's sort of like The Usual Suspects or Saving Private Ryan: films like that will make a huge impression the first time you see them. People will rave about them for the rest of their lives...(one of the best films ever made, etc.!)...but most people probably won't watch them over and over again, even if they remember them as absolute favorites.

It's a different world from games like Skyrim, Diablo, Dark Souls, etc. that might have "less substance", but they're built to be played, replayed, and played some more. I've been playing Kingdoms of Amalur since it was released, and I still play it today. Same with AoW: Shadow Magic. Even though I think games like The Witcher 3 or Bioshock are faaar better games.

Unfortunately I have no interest in Cyberpunk...

Initially, I wasn't too interested in the setting either. (I like my sci-fi to be of the Star Citizen / Mass Effect / Warhammer 40K variety.) But the more I learn about the whole Cyberpunk world, the more interested I get. It's far less "camp" and much more "Mad Max" than I ever knew. It's hooked me, now.

Quality over quantity. :)

Unfortunately I have no interest in Cyberpunk, not into much sci fi (sorry guys). Otherwise I'd gladly look into that forum

Even though it is sci-fi themed instead of fantasy, Cyberpunk 2077 is still made by mostly the same people as the Witcher games, what was done well in those I would expect it to be also good in CP.

......been busy fightin' monsters...don't believe me?...
NG+DM - Witcher lvl 77 - Quest lvl 100

Last edited:
Well the game is almost 3 years old :) Its normal that alot of people dont stay in the forum. When they announce Wither 4 trust me they will come back :)

Perhaps some decided it was just a wee bit more fun to play the game, rather than merely discuss it. . . From what I read, Witcher III was still rather popular last year.

Last edited:
For me, it takes 15 minutes to set up my browser settings so that I am even able to log in here.

I remember the old layout. Oh my, it was so beautiful, enigmatic and unique. Unfortunately, I was pretty late for the party, because after couple of weeks when I did sign up in here, they changed the concept completely. This new design feels so dull, artless and modern. It's just simply horrible compared to the old one and the whole Witcher vibe was gone for me. Atleast the game (W3) is still playable with tweaks and mods, so whatever...

Still lurking in the shadows.

Well, let's analyze.

The most active subforum here was modding forum. And it is understandable because people come there with new ideas, present their work, there was always a new content. And it had also an effect on other subforums where people were commenting mods, recommending mods, compering to vanilla, sharing other ideas and dreams, etc. People also felt that the whole forum lives and it is good to be a part of it.

Now let's say frankly - Witcher 3 modding tools are one of the worst ever made. But still there has been a chance for a success if only REDs had supported the modders. I am talking here about tutorials, documentation, developing Modkit, employing guys who would help modders via forum.
Of course I remember about Benzenzimmer but as far as I know he was helping people because of his good will and great heart. Not because the management thought modders are important and they(modders) need support.

So after some time modders began to leave the community because modding was too time-consuming and limited. Only few new modders joined.
Add here also such things like the leak of old version of REDkit - REDs even didn't explain what happened. Some people felt insulted.
Add 3-4 big discussions about cut content - lack of the Wild Hunt, lack of Iorweth, lack of some characters - REDs didn't even answer. People were writing essays about suggestions for Witcher 3 - no response. People lost hope that, like in Mass Effect 3, they will have any influence on how the game will develop. Again - no response.

No, sorry - there was always Marcin Mormot who was answering to most suggestions or comments - "no", "not possible", "it won't happen" or "soon"...
In fact CDP REDs PR most often remembered about the community when there was something to advertise.
There was only one special event for modders on Christmas 2015.

So modders were leaving - other users saw that the most active members lost hope, so they also left forum.

The nail in the coffin was the change of forum, and no I don't talk only about the look but also how buggy it was. They were repairng it for about half a year! That also showed REDs attitude to forum community. I even don't mention they didn't asked the community - which is, in my opinion, a bon ton.

But I don't want to be so negative. There are still some fantasitc people, there are still some ambitious projects in development, the human creativity is unlimited and there are still new ideas for mods, for tools, etc.

The saddest thing is - it all happens without REDs...

Top Bottom