Where is the Detlaff / Monster Faction nerf?

+
This game is currently unplayable in casual levels, just saying. I'm insanely annoyed by the number of Detlaff decks (even playing non-ranked because of this but still they are everywhere) who removes everything on the board without effort while massing points with Thrive - which is one of the most ridiculous abilities in the game without a limit... (I would suggest Thrive to have 3 limit. Thrive is the superior ability compared to Harmony and Assimilate)

Yes, i'm obviously angry. Don't listen to my words, just look at your statistics. Rant over.

Edit: They actually nerfed him today. Detlaff is now 15 provs but deals 1 damage instead of 2. Also Higher Vampire now can only revive 2 times (just like i expected). I'm also glad they made a logical nerf instead of obliterating these cards. Respect. Although, removal meta will not change i think.

Last edited:
In the meantime the hard counter is the Usurper list that Pumpkin streamed a couple of days ago. It's built explicitly to counter Dettlaff and it works very well.

What's interesting now is that this Usurper list is more prominent so if you happen to play an engine-based deck and queue into it, you're likely going to win easily. Of course, the opposite is true if you queue into Dettlaff.

The meta is in a tug of war right now.

rrc

Forum veteran
When one of the most respected pro players and a brand ambassador recommends people to play Usurper, then Gwent has failed, or at least the CC is dead-on-arrival. Don't get me wrong. I love Gwent. But I am actually not getting any mood to try Classical or Ranked mode. Only playing Seasonal mode and that with 0 intention to win, but only for the contracts. I tried to play a few games with my own Dana - it was a huge pain to build a working deck - and then faced Detlaffs who had all kind of bombs and all kind of control, I quickly restored to playing Seasonal Mode.

I think CDPR team should stop working on new contents and just try to balance this game. I know a nerf is coming for Detlaff, but why was it not tested or found these issues in PTR or testing phase? May be CDPR team should include more people for PTR and should hire people like Swim for any PTR who can break the game and show them the ghost face of certain cards/mechanics.

partci

Forum veteran
It's like they've learned nothing from the past two years. And if there is an excuse that a lot of people that should have known had been released at some point last year, there is absolutely zero excuse why no one learned from the Eithne meta.

I'm playing a bit after the CC hit and the game does feel better than last I played few months ago, but what I feel most is the need to reach for old cards with old abilities, which are nowhere to be found. Tons of new stuff is just mind-boggling. To the point of retardness, really.

In the meantime the hard counter is the Usurper list that Pumpkin streamed a couple of days ago. It's built explicitly to counter Dettlaff and it works very well.

Counter is an abbreviation for counter-strategy. Usurper is not a counter-strategy. It's an automatic leader-disable and doesn't belong in Gwent imo as he adds nothing, but only diminishes the game. Usurper seems to be created as a lame excuse to claim there is a "counter" if something is not balanced, or blatantly OP like Dettlaff and his deck. Don't fall for the "Usurper counter" nonsense. Taking the Usurper principle to the extreme, hacking your computer and making it shut down during the game could be considered a counter as well. As rrc mentioned, the need to use Usurper indicates that something is really wrong.

I don't like to be the guy who gets beaten in game then comes to forums and whine, but seriously, i'm just a normal guy who's really into experimenting different types of decks. But i just can't. I'm trying Meve engine deck, you know what happens... Then for the first time, i made a nice Arachas deck, but ouch, everyone plays Gimpy and tall unit killers (although this is not the thing im ranting about)

I really enjoyed my Dana deck, and i made a succesfull Anna deck too. They both worked, but if any single card -god forbid- needs to stay on board for 1 turn, then i'll be damned lol. I belive something needs to be done.

Counter is an abbreviation for counter-strategy. Usurper is not a counter-strategy. It's an automatic leader-disable and doesn't belong in Gwent imo as he adds nothing, but only diminishes the game. Usurper seems to be created as a lame excuse to claim there is a "counter" if something is not balanced, or blatantly OP like Dettlaff and his deck. Don't fall for the "Usurper counter" nonsense. Taking the Usurper principle to the extreme, hacking your computer and making it shut down during the game could be considered a counter as well. As rrc mentioned, the need to use Usurper indicates that something is really wrong.

I get that a lot of people hate Usurper. If anything view him as a leader that can regulate the meta when CDPR has overlooked something oppressive. Personally, I don't have such a harsh view on him; leader abilities are not the bread and butter of a deck. If they are, you're going for a high risk/high reward type of approach which doesn't translate well in terms of winning consistently.

That's why I really enjoyed Morvran Midrange pre-CC. It was a jack of all trades that rewarded smart play; you stood a good chance against a wide variety of decks without completely blowing away the opponent.

I get that a lot of people hate Usurper. If anything view him as a leader that can regulate the meta when CDPR has overlooked something oppressive. Personally, I don't have such a harsh view on him; leader abilities are not the bread and butter of a deck. If they are, you're going for a high risk/high reward type of approach which doesn't translate well in terms of winning consistently.

That's why I really enjoyed Morvran Midrange pre-CC. It was a jack of all trades that rewarded smart play; you stood a good chance against a wide variety of decks without completely blowing away the opponent.
But that's the funny thing. As I remember, CDPR always advertised leader - deck synergy. One more reason why Usurper does not belong in Gwent.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Well, the Dethlaff nerf (both to leader and card) came as i predicted. You dont need to understand much about the game, all you need to do is play quite a bit and when you face the same cards in every deck, its easy to figure out they need a nerf.

On the first 2-3 days of CC had a winrate of 90%, where people where trying the new cards and building the decks for themselves. Once the videos and deck guides start coming, where metadeck builders do the "hardwork" for all the other players, puff winrate back to 50-60%, and much worse, having to face the same brainless no risk decks, which Dethlaff was so abused that he had to get hotfixed within a week of CC launch (usually CDPR takes way more time to nerf broken strategies)

Now this will shake the meta a bit, but it's jsut a matter of time until the next trend comes in, and im not so sure it wont be Dethlaff again, his nerf didnt rendered him useless like Eredin.

They should listen to players and make a true casual mode. The current one is used by people who are locked on their current level and want quick wins.

The ability to ban certain cards from your matches is not unrealistic to program in. And the complete lack of offline play (practice mode is a joke) makes me wonder how I can still have fun without playing the top tief decks to have a bigger chance at winning.

Detlaff was ridiculous and the nerfs are just imo. Kinda sour they are not refunding the gold but they did announce thus policy.

I played Detlaff and yeah it was strong as hell. I see a lot of comments saying "detlaff in every game". I don't share such experience because every game i play against Dana, and other elves. It's kinda dissappointing that the damage of the leader has been nerfed because now it's absolutely useless. 1 damage point plus IF kill - plus 2 points. It is unfair as long as elves' leader that transforms each trap into 3 points has a max of 12 points!!!!! You shouldn't have nerfed Detlaff but BALANCE it to other leaders. Now it is TOTALLY unplayable leader.

Top Bottom