Where you got the idea for sword runes?

+
Where you got the idea for sword runes?

Hello, i came to the forum to find an answer to origin of sword inscriptions (elven runes?).

I couldnt find anything "realistic" about them, but on this picture

http://www.incgamers.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/The-Witcher-3-01.jpg

i saw that runes are not elven, they are CROATIAN, infact derivat of slavic glagolic, specifically CROATIAN GLAGOLIC CUNEIFORM SCRIPT.
I even translated it, but it makes no sense, you just threw random letters...

Too bad, it could be SWEET addon to codex in game, you already put our pagan gods and worships in game, why not explain runes also?

Greetings from Croatia!!!

Same goes for various strips of runes that appear on armor/clothing. They're in glagolitic alphabet - specifically the Croatian one. I noticed this as a history buff when I first played the game, although I never conversed anyone about it.

Attachments

• glagoljica_1298981954.jpg
    glagoljica_1298981954.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 2,380
They're sometimes gibberish, but sometimes they are meaningful. The inscriptions on Geralt's sword in some of the TW3 material have been from the Lord's Prayer, "forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us." No idea whether it is meaningful in the context of the game, but it is certainly not gibberish. You have to have resources for translating Old Church Slavonic, which, yeah, has a lot of history in common with Croatian.

EDIT: Sorry, it's Orthodox, debts and debtors. "forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors."

Last edited:
@ sfinx121

Glagolic (Croatian) is 200 years OLDER then cyrilic (and ofc older then those 2 murderers of innocent librarians (read about Hypathia).)

Actually, Cyril and Methodius invented the glagolitic alphabet, while the cyrilic alphabet was invented by their students/followers.

Well, hello from Zagreb, Croatia :welcome: Yeah, I noticed that too. I was very happy when I first saw it. :)

Anyway thank you for the picture, I was looking for a good W3 wallpaper and this one is perfect, hehe. :D

THAT are 2 different alphabets.

Glagolic is 200 years OLDER...so did they traveled back in time?

"200 years older" is a somewhat unlikely claim.

Glagolitic is first documented in 863, shortly after Cyril and Methodius were sent to Velká Morava.

Cyrillic is also documented from the 9th C., certainly by 893, some time after Kliment of Ohrid and Naum of Preslav came into Bulgaria.

THAT are 2 different alphabets.

Glagolic is 200 years OLDER...so did they traveled back in time?

I am perfectly aware that they are two different alphabets, the thing is that Cyril and Mathodius invented the glagolitic alphabet. Get it? They invented it. Those two guys. Cyril and Methodius. Two priests from the Byzantine empire. Those guys. They.

They invented the glagolitic alphabet.

And as you said, some time later,their indirect followers/students/whatever you want to call them invented the cyrilic alphabet.

As far as I know Konstantin invented it - during preparation for mission on Velká Morava.
The Glagolitic and Cyrillic alphabets are the oldest known Slavic alphabets, and were created by the two brothers and their students, to translate theBible and other texts into the Slavic languages.[5] The early Glagolitic alphabet was used in Great Moravia between 863 (the arrival of Cyril and Methodius) and 885 (the expulsion of their students) for government and religious documents and books, and at the Great Moravian Academy (Veľkomoravské učilište) founded by Cyril, where followers of Cyril and Methodius were educated, by Methodius himself among others.

Maybe Dokmanic meant this..
In the Middle Ages, Glagolitsa was also known as "St. Jerome's script" due to popular mediaeval legend (created by Croatian scribes in the 13th century) ascribing its invention to St. Jerome (342–429). That claim, however, has been resolutely disproved.
The epoch of traditional attribution of the script to Jerome ended probably in 1812.[14] In modern times, only certain marginal authors share this view, usually "re-discovering" one of the already-known mediaeval sources.[15]
But that script is just fake.

V roce 1248 potvrdil Slovanům z jižní Dalmácie privilegium používat hlaholici a slovanský jazyk při bohoslužbách papež Inocenc IV. Chorvatští mniši se ve snaze o udržení této výsady pokusili dokonce tak trochu zfalšovat historii. Autorství hlaholice přisoudili svatému Jeronýmovi (347-420), který pocházel z dalmatsko-panonského pomezí a proslul především jako autor Vulgaty – překladu bible do mluvené latiny. Chorvaté se uchýlili k tomuto klamu s jasným cílem. Svatý Jeroným se těšil v Římě velké autoritě, kdežto Cyril a Metoděj byli z hlediska Říma „řečtí cizáci“. Pokud si chtěli Chorvaté udržet liturgii ve vlastním jazyce a písmu, bylo pro ně mnohem lepší, když vznik hlaholice přisuzovali svatému Jeronýmovi.
translator:
In 1248 confirmed the Slavs of southern Dalmatia privilege to use the Glagolitic alphabet and Slavic language in church services, Pope Innocent IV. Croatian monks in an effort to maintain this privilege even tried a bit of fake history. Glagolitic authorship attributed to St. Jerome (347-420), who came from the Dalmatian-Pannonian border and is famous as the author of the Vulgate - the translation of the Bible into spoken Latin. Croats have resorted to this delusion with a clear objective. St. Jerome in Rome enjoyed great authority, while Cyril and Methodius were in terms of Rome "Greek aliens". If you want to keep the Croats liturgy in their own language and script was much better when the emergence of Glagolitic attributed to St. Jerome.

Top Bottom