Which character background will you choose?

+

Which character background will you choose?

• Total voters
It was mentioned in this article that...

"There's also an option to choose your background: street kid, nomad, or corporate. It's not just for your head canon either. Your background opens up certain dialogue choices throughout the entire game. As a street kid, if someone's trying to scam you, you might be able to see through their bullshit having swindled plenty yourself. A character with a corporate background will have a better time navigating big business hierarchies."

Which background would you favor for your V?

Just to clear things up from TheNeonArcade / Madqueen videos I've seen:

Corpos are the families who have managed to dedicate their life to the massive corporations ruling the world. They're better off than most people and think themselves above the chaos seen outside their corporate bubble. I assume that a corpo V would be the rebellious child of a Corpo family that left/lost that bubble, but V will have retained some of the upbringing.
EDIT:
it [might also] mean you worked for corporate security, special unit, former army etc,

Street Kid is when you've been born to low-class parents in the gutters of Night City, but have enough willpower, talent and ambition to try and make something better of yourself. You're street smart.

Nomads are large groups of homeless people who roam the wastes between the remaining cities of the USA of 2077 - Mad Max style. Not sure how a Nomad V would have ended up in Night City, but we can assume that V would have left/lost their family and made it there. They're probably good at taking care of themselves, driving vehicles and combat.

If the world has gone to shit anyway and everyone is invested in superficiality, I might as well pick corpo. I'll roleplay my female V to think she's above the rabble on the street.

Might go Street or Nomad for my second playthrough on male V. Haven't decided yet. Leaning towards street kid if the default male option looks like the one in the trailer. Again, the young scrawny kid fits the descriptor.

Last edited:
Corpos are the families who have managed to dedicate their life to the massive corporations ruling the world. They're better off than most people and think themselves above the chaos seen outside their corporate bubble. I assume that a corpo V would be the rebellious child of a Corpo family that left/lost that bubble, but V will have retained some of the upbringing.
I always thought it would mean you worked for corporate security, special unit, former army etc, so it would be a way to explain why you started out with pretty good cyber enhancements. Then you got dishonourably discharged or something, kicked out so you landed on the streets...

Street Kid is when you've been born to low-class parents in the gutters of Night City, but have enough willpower, talent and ambition to try and make something better of yourself.

Nomads are large groups of homeless people who roam the wastes between the remaining cities of the USA of 2077 - Mad Max style. Not sure how a Nomad V would have ended up in Night City, but we can assume that V would have left/lost their family and made it there. They're probably good at taking care of themselves and combat.

These are in my mind somewhat similar, with the difference being whether you live in the city (street kid) or outside of it (nomad).

ps. I haven't really made up my mind on the subject yet. Need to dig more into the lore.

pps. The background seems to work identically to Etiquettes of shadowrun, in which they open new dialog choices and new ways of solving problems.

Good point on Corpo V possibly being a security guard instead of a pencil pusher.

The difference is in how much they're willing to get their hands dirty I guess. Make no mistake, a corp executive will commit just as much murder, kidnapping and violence as the guard, if not more so. It's just that the executive might not necessarily pull the trigger.

Makes sense that V might've been the guard getting her/his hands dirty to explain the skill.

Last edited:
With so many street kid or nomad archetype characters in gaming/fiction in general, I'm excited to see what the corporate background can offer. Unless the game changes my mind, 2077's corruption up top seems more intriguing than any street-level gangs.

There is no evidence that character background will have any significant impact in the game, nothing of the sort was shown to us...yet

Guest 4211861

There is no evidence that character background will have any significant impact in the game, nothing of the sort was shown to us...yet
yes there is, the guys at the demo wrote that the street rat V had a special dialogue option when engaging with the Voodoo or the Animals, don't remember which, because they were also street rats

so at least you get bonus "relatability" in the form of dialogue options

Very tempted to go "Nomad" but I went "Street Kid" because I like the idea of pulling yourself out of the gutters.

My pick? Nomad turned street ronin. Why? 1.) My first character in the pnp was a nomad and, if played properly, nomads are pretty bad assed. 2.) Nomads are the ultimate survivalists.

I'm choosing corpo because I think that will add some interesting flavor to the corruption and politics within Night City. I'm wondering if you can climb the ranks in a way and use espionage to gain favor or something to that effect. We still are limited in how the economy and corporations interact with each other exactly in 2077. Really want CDPR to delve deeper into this :)

All I know and see here is the possibilities of creating three characters for each potential experience.
Yep, yep.

Definitely going corpo, hoping to team up more with Meredith stout from the first gameplay reveal, if it's an option.

yes there is, the guys at the demo wrote that the street rat V had a special dialogue option when engaging with the Voodoo or the Animals, don't remember which, because they were also street rats

so at least you get bonus "relatability" in the form of dialogue options

Great catch, If this is all true the game will have insane replayability potential, gonna keep us busy for a while I suppose lol

Wow i am shocked by the number of Corpo votes , it`s the one i dont want to try . It was a tough choice between Nomad and Street Kid which i we both play but i voted Nomad but that might be not much use in NC.

I'll choose Street Kid, my character in Cyberpunk 2020 was influenced by that. I still have the old tabletop characters I've played back in the days. I'll try to setup my character like it was 25 years ago.

Top Bottom