Which character background will you choose?

+

Which character background will you choose?

• Total voters
Can't wait until the Cyberpunk 2077 tabletop/pen and paper comes out. So i can flesh it out and really make it my own, without having to be V. Because i would love to choose/mix and match the smaller details.

Totally gonna be a street kid.

More interested in Corpo or anything similar (cop, but unlikely) than anything else at least for a first playthrough.

Rest comes later. But it's doubtful you get to have a high class Corpo background (unless you are like fallen or so) due to V's expected rise to the top in CP77.

In simple terms you couldn't have been a high Corpo shot caller only to start from scratch again unless

A) it is explained why you no longer have it or

B) you just have a lower Corpo background, more believable and compatible with the game's starting narrative

I'd pick any Corpo or lawman background first, rest later. But I guess my name gives my bias away there with ease :p

With so many street kid or nomad archetype characters in gaming/fiction in general, I'm excited to see what the corporate background can offer. Unless the game changes my mind, 2077's corruption up top seems more intriguing than any street-level gangs.

One aspect might be that Johnny Silverhand would be real annoyed at you, since he is very anti-corp.

ps. I think I will go street kid.. I've always considered myself a city-dweller in real life. I guess its the thing I most associate with.

Corpo, with focus on net-running. Espionage and stealth is how I do things if I can help it. Brute force is the last resort.

I'm a bit torn between Nomad & Street Kid.

The Nomad background sounds interesting but I wonder how much the Badlands and interaction with Nomads will factor into the game, and whether Street Kid might have more utility.

Actually wondering how much of a contrast corpo will offer compared to the others, even if you're kind of a 'business punk'.

I do wonder if backgrounds are more like a thing for interactions with certain people at certain times or if they also somewhat alter V's general Dialoge. Doubtful since you'd had to roughly tripple the amount of V's dialogue. Or double.

My original cyberpunk character was a solo who rebelled against her well off family and wanted to do things her own way instead of what is traditionally expected of a woman of her standing, basically the tomboy princess who runs away from home trope but cyberpunk lol

So I'll probably go corporate as that seems to suit my character the most, though I can legit see myself making a character of each at some point just to see all of what the game has in store.

I hope they give us text boxes in game explaining the implications of choosing each background. I'm assuming most will go with street kid to get that "rags to riches" story.

Personally, I'm not sure. I feel like it's gonna be a heat of the moment decision for me.

I'm assuming most will go with street kid to get that "rags to riches" story.

That would be a viable option and probably the option most aligning with the general plot or idea of you "rising up".

For me, I think, it is still the corporate background however. Since with it I doubt you obviously come from a background of being high up in a specific or key corporation we encounter in the game (what's the point of making a name in NC for yourself then if you are a big thing elsewhere?), I think I like the corporate world and it will be interesting to see what kinds of references and (prior) contacts you might encounter with such a background.

I also think it will offer more "political" (in corpo terms or that context) approaches to the world. In other words, if you pick a corpo background you'll obviously view certain things differently. While the main plot will be the same either way more or less, from a corpo background perspective I think you'd rather be interested in making a (new) name for yourself in NC and interact with or against the key players, as opposed to solely trying to get rich as street kid.

But of course a lot of that is assumption. Unless it was elaborated on in some interview and I missed it, we yet have to see how deep or important or game changing different backgrounds will be.

The Dragon Age example
Dragon Age I kinda did it in a good fashion background wise. Depending on your race and / or background you had a different game start centered around your specific background, from thief or street kid to being a mage or even nobility (would translate to corpo here I guess). Then some big plot event would happen, eventually throwing you into the main game and plot. Mind you, up until here it's all a bit like a tutorial and also a specific background and you'd already spend, I dunno, half an hour or one just in a scenario revolving around your background.

Then later throughout the main game you have different connections to different people and your individual background would factor in at one point at least once, if not at several times, meaning unique quests later on but also meeting or knowing unique people you'd have no real interaction or connection to with other backgrounds. The biggest impact I recall from one of the backgrounds was that if you picked nobility roots, depending on your later choices your character could move into a position to have or claim rights to the throne of Ferelden (the country you are in).

----------------------------

So long story short, I hope it might be similar here. We obviously can't expect a totally different game for each background as the main narrative has to be the same, but I expect a bit more than a few shallow references along the way. And if we look at the company here and also the given statements so far, I think we do not have to be disappointed in that regard.

My first run is going to be either Nomad or Corpo depending on my mood and which OC of mine I want to play first when it comes around, but I'll definitely play all of them! (probably multiple times too)

I was gonna go Johnny Silverhand..
But now I'm defenatly gonna go with Johnny Nemon....Silverhand! :ok:

I'm definitely going to play every type and combination of character I can, replay value is one of the most important things to me. My first playthrough I'll probably be an expected type of character: street kid, idolize Johnny Silverhand, anti-authority, impulsive, shoot first type of personality.

That would be a viable option and probably the option most aligning with the general plot or idea of you "rising up".

For me, I think, it is still the corporate background however. Since with it I doubt you obviously come from a background of being high up in a specific or key corporation we encounter in the game (what's the point of making a name in NC for yourself then if you are a big thing elsewhere?), I think I like the corporate world and it will be interesting to see what kinds of references and (prior) contacts you might encounter with such a background.

At about 5 minutes into this video the dev talks a bit about the lifepath differences, and when describing the Corpo the example he gives is someone who was fired from their position in a corporation.

The devs have also stated that as of right now at least V has a different start point in the game based upon their lifepath. Street Kid is presumably somewhere in the city and Nomad likely in a caravan out in the badlands, but what about the Corpo? I wonder if the start point will be V getting his/her walking papers.

Top Bottom