Which character background will you choose?

+

Which character background will you choose?

• Total voters
View attachment 11047904
View attachment 11047907
View attachment 11047910

From the reviews so far, I feel that my choices will be more difficult, the origins more balanced and interesting.
I think I would still veer toward the street kid.

Funny that you would show the clothing when discussing the origins choices because for me it raised a question about gear.

You see, I wasn't interested in corpo but when I saw these pics yesterday and read the previews I imagined playing as one for a stealth, minimal-combat playthrough. Kinda made sense to me given the clothing and the idea a corpo would want to get through things with cunning more often than not. Who wants to get their expensive suit full of bullet holes? ;)

However I'm wondering how much pressure there'll be, particularly on the hardest difficulty, to just wear whatever comes our way just for the bonuses? You know, the kind of thing that just leads to an odd selection of gear; like when you're playing a fantasy rpg and you've got heavy plate boots, a silken shirt, chain gauntlets and an archer's feathered hat :)

Funny that you would show the clothing when discussing the origins choices because for me it raised a question about gear.

You see, I wasn't interested in corpo but when I saw these pics yesterday and read the previews I imagined playing as one for a stealth, minimal-combat playthrough. Kinda made sense to me given the clothing and the idea a corpo would want to get through things with cunning more often than not. Who wants to get their expensive suit full of bullet holes? ;)

I will put the following on spoiler tags just in case. Following more or less explains the corpo prologue:
So in the Corpo prologue, you literally work for Arasaka. Can walk around in Arasaka tower, brush shoulders with Adam Smasher etc. Explore your office and experience the backstabbing atmosphere of the corp. In this prologue you are also old friends with Jackie. However, prologue shows your 'fall from grace' as a higher-up Arasaka exec catches you and your boss conspiring against her, and deals with you, corpo-style. You got your money taken off, cyber deactivated, etc. You end up on the street, where the game proper will start, 6 months later.

In other words, you get to be on the top, for a little bit of time. But once down on the street, you are just like any other destitute Heywood inhabitant. You don't 'continue' being a corpo per se. I hope this helps in choosing your origin.

I will put the following on spoiler tags just in case. Following more or less explains the corpo prologue:
So in the Corpo prologue, you literally work for Arasaka. Can walk around in Arasaka tower, brush shoulders with Adam Smasher etc. Explore your office and experience the backstabbing atmosphere of the corp. In this prologue you are also old friends with Jackie. However, prologue shows your 'fall from grace' as a higher-up Arasaka exec catches you and your boss conspiring against her, and deals with you, corpo-style. You got your money taken off, cyber deactivated, etc. You end up on the street, where the game proper will start, 6 months later.

In other words, you get to be on the top, for a little bit of time. But once down on the street, you are just like any other destitute Heywood inhabitant. You don't 'continue' being a corpo per se. I hope this helps in choosing your origin.

Many thanks! I'll feel free to have a more varied wardrobe then ;)

I'm really split between Corpo or Nomad
Nomad did seem really cool and their story seems really interesting, I was really wondering why we would set off to Night City and leave everything else we know behind.

I'm settling on Corpo for now though, I'm interested in the dialogue and haven't played a "higher-up" before.

I am still paying Nomad ..... i think ..... but those Street Kid pants cool . Tiger stripes and gold pants :love:

lifepath Street kid.jpg

Regarding backgrounds and recent reveals...

As @Bloodartist stated and as it becomes apparent:

If I see right, we in essence have some sort of street kid "background" that seems to linger, while with the Nomad and Corpo approach it seems more like "cut ties".

In the Nomad beginning we see a patch being removed and thrown away. This implies you cut ties with whatever tribe or gang you were out there, although I believe they will play a role later on - or might.

The Corpo approach is interesting because it actually ties you in with the city just like street kid. I previously thought you might be coming to the city with a less than major corpo affiliation. Arasaka is a big surprise - the fall from grace to be expected in that sense of course. The corpo fall from grace is probably the hardest cut. How so?

Well, street kid you kinda "are". It's your upbringing that seems to linger over you. While you cut ties with the nomad tribe or w/e you were with, it also seems to partially linger over you. The corpo is likely the hardest cut because you'd usually affiliate this to an active 'membership', not so much a lingering background.

Either way I look forward to the corpo background for a first playthrough. Now I'm even more curious than ever how this might tie in with Arasaka later, or any opposing corp like Militech. Even if you were "thrown out", I feel in that regard you probably get to have lots of fun with that background and references and depending on how you look at it, it still "lingers" over you as some dialogue might possibly imply, like a certain attitude you can have shine through or give to people because you were a corpo - or maybe still consider yourself something akin to it.

As @Bloodartist stated and as it becomes apparent:

More spoilers and spoiler-y speculation follows regarding the origins:
It looks like all origins might have you "fail" at the prologue mission and end up on the street in night city. It wouldnt surprise me in the slightest. I am also reasonably sure the street kid origin has you more or less move away from whatever gang you were part of. I remember reading something to that effect from the reviews.

Sure all origins offer some people to exist in the world that you have history with. In corpo origin it would be your former boss and the exec who got you both. In street kid its your former gang etc,

Street kid: You are supposed to steal a luxury car/flying car, but Jackie interrupts you as he was about to do the exact same thing (first encounter with Jackie). Then police show up and seemingly arrest you both. This might mean you do prison time during the time skip to present day.

Nomad: You are supposed to smuggle something to Night city, and Jackie is your contact person. There is a police chase, and although I didn't directly see it, it wouldnt surprise me if the police actually caught you and you did prison time same as street kid origin.

I'm reasonably sure I can connect the dots and extrapolate a chain of missions at the start of the game:
1. Prologue mission
2. Meet Jackie, Dexter and visit ripper-doc (original 48-min gameplay video)
3. Dexter has this big mission about stealing a chip from an (Arasaka?) exec's penthouse apartment (guess what chip it is dun dun duuuuun) - but before that can happen there are prep missions.
3.a) Get the flathead bot from Maelstrom which is needed in the mission (original gameplay vid)
3.b) Meet with Evelyn Parker who has an affair with the exec, and do braindance research on her BD recording about where the exec keeps the chip. (summer 2020 vid)
4. The actual heist (see 3)
5. Meet with Dexter after the heist (E3 2019 trailer)

Still going Street Kid but I now see it doesn't matter which one I pick, I'm still going to wind up pissing off Arasaka right off the bat.
Pick Nomad and you wind up in a high-speed car chase and shoot out with Arasaka...
Pick Corpo-rat, you start right in the middle of Arasaka corporate backstabbing which you eventually come out on the losing end of...
Pick Street Kid and you wind up with an Arasaka exec telling the NCPD to dispose of you permanently because they can't be bothered to press charges on you...

The only thing that changes is the scenery on your way to making an enemy of them, I suppose.

Top Bottom