Which character background will you choose?

+

Which character background will you choose?

• Total voters
I am actually so unsure, instinct pulls me towards Street Kid.

But a Corpo path would be interesting. I guess once I know more about what path offers, that will help.

Been working on a notebook of some kind to record all the builds I plan to play. Goal is to eventually do at least 6 playthroughs. 2 for each background (male & female).

First is definitely going to be a male Nomad (essentially myself) because I grew up in the rural areas and like open skies, open roads, and laid-back countryside.

So many Corpo votes here though! Very surprising. I thought corpo is like, the exact opposite being a cyber-punk??
edit: But I very much appreciate that we get to play as a Corpo. It's bound to be interesting

I am definitely starting with a Nomad. It's the only start that originates from outside Night City. Want to learn more about the story and city itself before playing a character that is supposed to be a local.

It was mentioned in this article that...

"There's also an option to choose your background: street kid, nomad, or corporate. It's not just for your head canon either. Your background opens up certain dialogue choices throughout the entire game. As a street kid, if someone's trying to scam you, you might be able to see through their bullshit having swindled plenty yourself. A character with a corporate background will have a better time navigating big business hierarchies."

Which background would you favor for your V?
Street kid

After much thought I've decided to go first Street Kid since the lifestyle this version of V has seems to be the most Cyberpunk-ish.
I like the idea that my character will be a random commoner among millions who will have experienced the same struggles in life has the majority of night city citizens and that her background will have nothing special, unlike corpo and nomad.

I would start as a male nomad coming from another country, to work my way up into night city then after I finish the whole story becoming rich and having a great family. I become a street kid on my 2nd playthrough being the son of my first character that became a delinquent and left home, lost memories and finish the story again. On the last playthrough is corpo being the granddaughter of the 1st character and the nephew of my 2nd character, becoming a corpo and then falling all the way down but I redeem myself and become rich again.

Wow, a lot of Corpo sell-outs...

Wow, a lot of Corpo sell-outs...

There was an article recently where it was mentioned that V's origin was not necessarily where he or she would end up, and that it might be possible for example for someone who didn't have the Nomad origin to finish the game as one.

Some of the people who start as corpos could pivot toward the street (or a nomad clan) as they play the game. I could definitely see how that could be interesting. Not that a pure corpo run wouldn't be...just wouldn't be my first, second, or third choice.

Still a bummer I can't be a morally corrupt Media. :(

But... Corpo is the choice. Obviously.

If there's going to be a second playthrough, I'll throw a d10 where odds are Streetkid and evens Nomad.

Seeing how origins took the places of roles, I feel like Street Kid is wasted space for another Role related origin.

I agree. In its place could've been something thematically more different, which I don't think nomad and streetkid look all that much. The other just starts you outside the city, but they both are gangers and/or drifters, and I somehow think the choices they make aren't thematically too different.

Could've been Corpo, Nomad and Cop, for example. Or, Media.

Doesn't matter much though, since they all turn into Tech-Solos after the start.

Street Kid is the most cyberpunk of the available origins, so it not being included would be a bit odd. Corpo might bring the cyber but the level of punk is basically zero.

Cop would be a poor replacement for Street Kid as well, in that it is fairly close to Corpo thematically. Night City is ruled by corporations after all and the police force in the game-universe ultimately answers to them. There is a sharper divide between Street Kid, Nomad, and Corpo than there would be between Corpo and Cop.

Last edited:
Sure. Perhaps it’s Nomad that could’ve been something else. The point remains, though.

I respectfully disagree. In Cyberpunk 2077 there is life on the fringes of society; what happens when you take someone born to the winds and open roads and throw them into a claustrophobic city with different rules and different people in charge? I think role play wise it is ripe for exploration.

I respectfully disagree. In Cyberpunk 2077 there is life on the fringes of society; what happens when you take someone born to the winds and open roads and throw them into a claustrophobic city with different rules and different people in charge? I think role play wise it is ripe for exploration.

Sure, sure. Each of the ”roles” pack a narrative punch. The options could easily be Nomad 1, Nomad 2 and Nomad 3, and still offer different experiences.

The point was that from the given options Nomad and Streetkid are perhaps a bit too close to each other thematically than what would’ve been preferable.

The point was that from the given options Nomad and Streetkid are perhaps a bit too close to each other thematically than what would’ve been preferable.
perhaps, but you didn't write the story. nomad and streetkid may be similar, but the story may be written in such a way that their relationships are portrayed such that their differences are highlighted. in the case of medias and corpos, those two could also be argued to be similar within the story CDPR wrote, especially since any media working for Network News 54 would be a corpo by default.

i don't fault you for wanting the media option. i would have loved to play a media and i personally would have made the media an inbetween of a streetkid and a corpo (too corpo for the street and too street for the corp; their only true friend is the scoop; Jackie becomes an occasional source since most street organisations won't let you in; stealth and hacking become paramount; i would've designed the game with a dialogue-only playthrough only possible for the media, as they play sides against each other planting evidence and spreading rumours...but this isn't my game, it's a video game by CDPR). but what i described may not have worked with the story CDPR wanted to write; may not have been feasible in the dev time. and that's a really important factor to consider; a factor we can't completely consider since we didn't write the story and have no access to all the iterations of the story as it evolved over development. and as it pertains to "preferable" as you mentioned: i'm sure, absolutely positive, that CDPR would have preferred to implement every single skill, weapon, game mechanic and iterative possibility into what became Cyberpunk 2077, but that's just not reasonable and blaming(shaming?) them for being unable to does nothing.

nomad and streetkid may be similar, but the story may be written in such a way that their relationships are portrayed such that their differences are highlighted

Sure. And it could be that if you could only choose one of three versions of a single background - let's say street kid, for examples sake - the storylines could be written in wildly different ways.

But the premise of each remains. And that premise is where the "background choices" are drawn from.

I'm not saying it will be bad. Just that it could have been for the better to choose differing enough character thematics. Corpo and streetkid are like the polar opposites, but nomad and streetkid pretty close to each other thematically.

Top Bottom