Which character background will you choose?

+

Which character background will you choose?

• Total voters
(This is mostly relating to the recent discussion about other origins)

I find the recent discussion about additional (or changed) origins interesting, but ultimately my preference is rather faction than origin (or a combination of those) related. For narrative and maybe other reasons, the originally advertised or planned (or assumed) "roles" were changed to the three origin stories and a more set main narrative.

But originally years ago I was hoping they'd go for a more faction based approach with perhaps a main plot clustered per faction or 'role' you pick. Playing as actual part of a notable or not so notable faction, belonging and picking sides, that would've been interesting. I was also - if you could not tell by the user name - heavily hoping for some kind of futuristic gritty cop experience - not akin to a fully fledged simulation game of course, but well within the common standards of portrayed roles within RPGs.

I wonder if a "cop origin" (as it was mentioned prior) would've made much sense in the given frame we have now, however. In the end, despite all preferences, they had to settle with something. It is what it is, not the end of the world despite initially hoping for something else.

On a closing note...
I'm wondering if more origins or perhaps specific "joinable" factions will be part of this game in the future with content additions or DLCs. There is lots of potential in that area without necessarily endangering the main plot or so. Consider it an expanded set of side activities and certain groups would be a non-issue. Just a question of how you approach and implement it. As simple or fitting example, even some gang or even NCPD can work. Then you are some sort of quasi or "part-time" 'deputy' or maybe MAX-TAC 'reservist' if those things would be possible in the setting. Those are just examples how you can tie in V as protagonist into certain factions without having to re-write core parts of the story or certain interactions.

I wonder if a "cop origin" (as it was mentioned prior) would've made much sense in the given frame we have now, however. In the end, despite all preferences, they had to settle with something. It is what it is, not the end of the world despite initially hoping for something else.

I suppose they went for "what you were born into" since V is so young. It wouldn't make much sense that you had a "lifepath" of being a cop or medic or fixer at 19 (or what the age was...?).

Of course, if they wanted to, they could've let the player choose the age for V and the older s/he is, the more role options open and the game actually reacts to the characters age.

That would've of course jeopardized the different intros (not wholly, but somewhat) and protagonist voiceacting (altogether), but ask me...I wouldn't have done it that way anyway. Intro reacting to your choice of role, yes, but not so that it requires a set character. And voiceacting... bleh.... sounds annoying already. I would've happily traded those two for wider variety of characterbuilds.

Well, anyways....

I suppose they went for "what you were born into" since V is so young. It wouldn't make much sense that you had a "lifepath" of being a cop or medic or fixer at 19 (or what the age was...?).

What about Rockerboy? I'll admit I'm not well versed in the Cyberpunk source material. So if saying that is stupid feel free to drop some knowledge on me. Yes, I am aware this isn't a role or path one would associate with your typical ARPG classes/roles/whatever. Case and point, how does a Rockerboy kill all the things? By blunt force trauma with a guitar of course. I don't see why it isn't something they could have worked with though.

Oh, and I forgot to mention. I finally caved and picked up Disco Elysium. Grandiose feelings of superstardom may be clouding my judgement.

What about Rockerboy?
Oh, and I forgot to mention. I finally caved and picked up Disco Elysium. Grandiose feelings of superstardom may be clouding my judgement.

Yeah, that's could've been feasible. Maybe you could've had a special relationship with the ghost Keanu in your head. And perhaps you could've raised a small army of crazed fans to do your fighting with the rockerboys special skill (and as a kinda-sorta nod to Syndicate and its persuadetron). But alas, no such luck here. I suppose Rb didn't bode too well with the character transforming little by little into an assemblyline murder machine through the game and not so much a superstar of rock'n roll.

Oh yes, and have fun with Disco. Keep your booze nose up and spirits low to get rid of such ridiculous dreams.

Well, as it stands I'm leaning toward Nomad because it's very... nomadic. For whatever reason I think starting out in the boondocks before hitting up the city will be appealing.

I only mentioned Rockerboy because, well, stepping outside the assemblyline murder machine concept and making it work is innovative. Providing three variations to it, life paths or not, isn't. In my opinion anyway. Perhaps it wouldn't necessarily fit with the character being a fixer of... problems. But... I'm not exactly thrilled about being boxed into that corner in the first place.

Oh yes, and have fun with Disco. Keep your booze nose up and spirits low to get rid of such ridiculous dreams.

Will do.... I'll admit the game didn't knock my socks off at the very start. It started growing on me fast though :). I think I had to do a couple restarts while trying to collect an article of clothing. That part was cool I guess.

Choosing between street kid and nomad.
I like street kid prologue and curious what'll happen next. But playing as nomad you'd learn city with your character.
And corpos in that game remind me about EA, etc, so i don't want to work on them.

My first playthrough will be Nomad then Corpo and Street Kid. I don't find Street Kid that unique compared to Nomad and Corpo. To me, Strret Kid seems the most comparable to RL. So, it doesn't offer that level of escapism. Corpo is probably someone who earns 6 fiqures or higher. Nomad is rarest one that can be comparable to RL.

Corporate Techie - that was the first character I played in Cyberpunk 2020, back in the early 1990s. Want to see how close I get my in-game character.

Corporate looks interesting and quite different from the usual 'outcast' perspective so many games force the player into at the beginning. Not having any experience with the CP world or the p&p game, I think I'll try corporate for my first play through

I was pretty solid with street kid. After the life path trailer, I’ve grown fond of Nomad. As others have said, seems like it’s a fitting intro for a brand new game.

next I think I’ll take Corpo, then Street Kid. Street kid just seems like the most generic option now.

Definitely Corpo first, to see what the rich life is like before being brought down to Street Kid and Nomad level.

I'm going to try each for each of my psn accounts. Needless to say I'll probably be in the character creator for a day or 2.

I will choose Christopher Nolan for my first run. Bravo. ;) (jk) I'm probably gonna be batman and just sit in the corpo office all day long screaming at people to bring me "extra dark roast" coffee with little bat marshmallows floating in it. When they forget the marshmallows, I will scream "WHERE IS HE?"

I was so sure I'd choose Street Kid first and Nomad 2nd but now I'm not so sure. I love cyberpunk as a genre and feel comfortable with it, but I know nothing about CP2020/CP77 and thought being a Nomad would help with building my lore of the city as the game progresses. So, first would probably be a Nomad Solo (as I think that'll probably be easier to grasp when compared to Netrunner) and second a Street Kid Netrunner (once I get more comfortable with the lore).

Top Bottom