Which creatures would you like to see in The Witcher 3?

+
Which creatures would you like to see in The Witcher 3?

There are many different mythological creatures "living" in every countries, which one would you like to see in Witcher 3 or next game in this universe?

I want to see there a creature called Viy. :rolleyes:

Viy - in the Eastern Slavic mythology character of the underworld, whose gaze kills. His eyes are usually covered with huge eyelids and eyelashes that he can not lift without assistance.
According to the Belarusian and Russian fairy tales, Viy raised eyelids (eyelashes, eyebrows) with help of his aides with pitchforks. The person that sees Viy, could not stand against his gaze and dying. Viy can not only kill people, but to destroy and turn into ashes village or city.

Ukrainian legend was retold by Nikolai Gogol in his story "Viy".
"Viy - a colossal creation of simple folks imagination. This name was given by the Ukrainians to a huge chief of minions, whose eyes are ever on the way to the ground. This whole story has a popular legend. I did not want anything to change it and tell almost the same ease as heard."
- Note by Nikolai Gogol

Known literary treatment of stories about Viy made ​​by Nikolai Gogol. According to research by D. Moldovansky, the name originated with the Viy Gogol as a result of mixing phonetic name of the mythological ruler of the underworld Niya.
Gogol's Viy is squat, clumsy, with sinewy, strong as roots arms and legs covered in black earth with iron fingers and face, with long eyelids drooping to the ground. His appearance is preceded by a wolf's howl.

And it would be great to see Koschei there. (Not a spider from W1)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koschei

In Last Wish were a many great characters, such as devil Torkve, werebear Neville, and D'jinny.
And doppler Dudu Biebervelt from Sword of Destiny. He lives in Novigrad, so, you know... ;)
I want them all back! :rolleyes:

So, which creatures you want to see in Witcher world?

God, never ever thought that you spell "ВИЙ" as Wii, like some damn console name. :) Yes, he will be cool. That movie was the scariest movie I have ever seen, and the only good Russian horror movie (also the only one till the fall of the USSR). Other Slavic monsters are great too. Bring them on, baby.

I wouldn't mind some southern monsters, like griffins, following the army into NML. After Dragon's Dogma I am a big fan of griffins and chimeras.

Zahhak
in persian folklore he was an evil king with two huge serpents on his shoulders. those serpents would only eat human brain and thus Zahhak was forced to kill 2 humans every day in order to maintain control over them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zahhak

I think for the sake of TW3, this kind of character befits an underground mob leader.

BlackLeopard said:
Zahhak
in persian folklore he was an evil king with two huge serpents on his shoulders. those serpents would only eat human brain and thus Zahhak was forced to kill 2 humans every day in order to maintain control over them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zahhak

I think for the sake of TW3, this kind of character befits an underground mob leader.
Oww, he's like Dahaka from Prince of Persia: Warriors Within? If yes Geralt need to start practising parkour skills.

BlackLeopard said:
God, never ever thought that you spell "ВИЙ" as Wii, like some damn console name. :)

Yes, ridiculous I know, but google translate assure me, that this is a right way to write it. :D

I wouldn't mind the Barghest or Black Shuck making a comeback in the third game, nice to see my local legend in a game. Well I say local the Black Dog is ancient and ubiquitous, but the use of the Yorkshire name was nice, and i've always liked the mystery surrounding those legends.

HumanHonor said:
Oww, he's like Dahaka from Prince of Persia: Warriors Within? If yes Geralt need to start practising parkour skills. />

The idea of Dahaka in Prince of Persia was of course taken from Zahhak legend. both "Dahaka" & "Zahhak" share a similar root.
but it's not the same. Zahhak was a bloodthirsty man bearing two serpents on his shoulders. something like a half man-half beast with the body size of a strong man. according to the legend; serpents would devour Zahhak's brain unless they were fed regularly. which means that he had only two options; kill innocent people or his death.

Yeah, Gogol actually didn't make the story. He took a bunch of known folk legends and printed under his name. Not an uncommon thing with some authors. Specific story about making circles on the ground as means of spiritual defense appears in other sources known in Ukraine (like the story about the duel of the the Baal Shem Tov with a sorcerer).

To see some monsters from TW1 would be nice like Ghouls and various types of lesser Vampires. Other than that is Baba Yaga 100% confirmed?

lubo1654 said:
Other than that is Baba Yaga 100% confirmed?

Baba Yaga is not a monster, but just some very old and grumpy grandma with bad living conditions. ;) The best modern Baba Yaga is in Alan Wake, though her Bird Leg Cabin is pretty cool until it moves into the underworld.

Myself? I'd like to see a bruxa that actually matches up with the story in Last Wish. We've had two different versions in two different games, and neither one was true to the lore.

A better English rendering of "ВИЙ" is Viy. That, not Wii, is what is used in the usual English translation of Gogol's story. But the legendary Viy is not like the insectoid "Viy of Maribor" of the books.

lubo1654 said:
To see some monsters from TW1 would be nice like Ghouls and various types of lesser Vampires. Other than that is Baba Yaga 100% confirmed?

A character that sure looks like Baba Yaga appears in concept art, but the danger of showing concept art is that somebody will think this is some kind of confirmation. Then that speculation becomes a rumor, and it becomes widely believed, and finally gamers get their knickers in a twist when the character ended up in the cutting room bit bucket.

AFAIK, Baba Yaga has appeared in concept art, which is not a confirmation.

lubo1654 said:
Myself? I'd like to see a bruxa that actually matches up with the story in Last Wish. We've had two different versions in two different games, and neither one was true to the lore.

Likewise. The weak lower-vampire bruxae of TW1 and wraithlike bruxae of TW2 didn't convey anything that even began to suggest the powerful and complex character of Vereena.

KnightofPhoenix said:
A lamassu.

I don't know if it would fit the Witcher world, but it might be well worth the try! I went to the Louvre this year and saw some stone sculptures of Persian lamassu. It was one of my favourite parts of the whole museum.

The chupacabra

All joking aside i wanna see an actual cockatrice, the different versions of semi dragons like wiverns and slyzards. Manticores would be great too.

Also that monster that almost killed Letho,

I would love to see more monsters from tw1. No more gargoyles and endryagas. More weird looking creatures. I would like to see Jinn, forktale, hags like baba yaga. Some lovecraftian monster design preferably with big eyes, bat wings. More spirits, curses, nights with glow worms, girls wearing only wreaths bathing in river and river monsters hunting for food.

Some good (non-aggressive) monsters would be nice.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simargl

Some old pre-christian holidays would be nice.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koliada

GuyN said:
A better English rendering of "ВИЙ" is Viy. That, not Wii, is what is used in the usual English translation of Gogol's story. But the legendary Viy is not like the insectoid "Viy of Maribor" of the books.
GuyN said:
By the way, in English the common spelling is Viy, not Wii.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viy_(story)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viy_(1967_film)

UPDATE: Didn't notice Guy N'wah already mentioned that above :D

Thank you very much! I will fix this. It's just sounds like Wii, so I made a stupid mistake. Sorry.

Top Bottom