Which ending(s) did you choose and why?

+
During my "blind" playthrough I:

1. Send Keira to Kaer Morhen.

She obviously doesn't deserve to be killed by Geralt or Radovid, especially considering that she will cure Ciri's gift aka Catriona plague.

2. Saved children. Baron hanged himself.

Children shouldn't suffer because of adults' doings. I think after what happened in Crookbag Bog's area peaseants will think twice before dealing with creatures like Crones again.
About baron - he built his misfortune by his own hands. Nothing to add.

3. Helped Letho. Invite him to Kaer Morhen.

Initially I was eager to kill Letho in TW2. Especially after he kidnapped Triss. But discovering the fact, that he took care about Yen during her amnesia, instead of leaving her alone, in best case, or drown her in the nearest swamp, in the worst - I think this pal deserves a medal. That's why we parted on good terms and in TW3 he and Geralt fight side by side again.

p.s. still hate CDPR for absence possibility to save Serrit and Auckes (Egan) in TW2. :realmad:

4. Kill Whoreson Jr.

He is sick bastard. I doubt that someone would cry for him.

5. Dijkstra rules the North.

I agreed with Sigi that in a sake of Yen's and Triss' safety (and Ciri's probably, too. She also has magic abilities.) - Radovid must die. So he did.
And later I was stunned by Roche's words about "unity" with Nilfgaard. In a name of the witcher Coën and all who gave their lives for North's freedom during Brenna and Sodden - I cannot allow Emhyr to win the war. So I picked Sigi's side. I feel very disgusting for letting Roche, Ves(?) and Thaler die, but I cannot do otherwise.

6. Hjalmar rules Skellige.

First, I have to say that I didn't want to make him king. When time came to decide between him and Cerys - Geralt rode with Hjalmar only for a reason to be sure that he will safe and don't get into trouble...
I think Cerys is a better option. Especially when Dijkstra rules the North. Cerys, Dijkstra and Tancred Thyssen are "peaceful" rulers and they have good chances to build trade alliances and good relations between the countries.
Svangride - is an interesting choice, but the price of his goal is too high, as for me, notably that Cerys and Hjalmar would probably dissapear after "face" with emperial fleet, according to Ermion's (also known as Mousesack) words.

7. Ciri - witcheress .

Everyone should have the right to choose. Geralt honestly told Ciri, that the emperor wants to see her, but when she asked Geralt's opinion about this situation - Geralt said that it's not a good idea. It's obvious that Emhyr didn't want to restore relations with his daughter - he only wants to "use" Ciri to save his power/empire, and considering that due to Emhyr's deeds Ciri's real mother died, Ciri's granny died - Geralt and Ciri went to Velen, passing Vizima.

8. Geralt with Triss.

Seems to be more stable relations, and I personally like how they get along.

9. Let O'Dim took Olgierd's soul.

I don't see any reason to risk Geralt's life for this "buddy" besides sword of the viper's school. So I didn't interfere and asked about new device for Roach.

Last edited:
3. As I said, I want Nilfgaard to win or rather Radovid to lose, and a somewhat free Temeria, but nothing is more important than Ciri being a Witcher. If I can convince myself that not taking Ciri to Emhyr is excused and/or right, Nilfgaard wins. If not, Dijkstra wins.

Not doing "Reasons of State" and Ciri visiting Emhyr can result in Ciri Witcheress ending right? Can someone elaborate on this?

I'm not fond of that quest (especially the ending), so I thought maybe if I don't finish it, it would work.

Not doing "Reasons of State" and Ciri visiting Emhyr can result in Ciri Witcheress ending right? Can someone elaborate on this?

You get the empress ending only if Ciri visits Emhyr and Nilfgaard wins the war (Radovid is assassinated and you kill Dijkstra). Both of these have to be true to avoid the witcheress ending.

Empress one

Cause snooow

+Nilfgaardian ending for better effect. Noisy temerians in White Orchard bring real trissmas atmosphere. Love it.
Sad it was only White Orchard.
Bet snowy Velen is beautiful.

Well I just completed the main campaign again (after some HOS side tracking), but choose to do the Cirri become a Witcher ending. I have to say I was more pleased with this ending. Reason being is I could not understand why White Orchard was covered in snow during the "good" ending, nor why Cirri who obviously hates her paternal dad, just gives up her freedom and decides to become empress. The Cirri becomes a witcher ending seemed to fit better. You return to White Orchard, it's not covered in snow, meet up with Cirri (who seems ecstatic), Gerald's happy.

The reason for my nit pick on the snow is, sure she defeated the white frost.....so it's understandable that the climate might have changed for awhile, but as soon as the quest ends, bang the climate is back to normal everywhere. It might have been better if the just left the world a little whiter post "something ends" quest and it gradually changed back to normal. . . .for immersions sake.

Last edited:
Well I just completed the main campaign again (after some HOS side tracking), but choose to do the Cirri become a Witcher ending. I have to say I was more pleased with this ending. Reason being is I could not understand why White Orchard was covered in snow during the "good" ending, nor why Cirri who obviously hates her paternal dad, just gives up her freedom and decides to become empress. The Cirri becomes a witcher ending seemed to fit better. You return to White Orchard, it's not covered in snow, meet up with Cirri (who seems ecstatic), Gerald's happy.

The reason for my nit pick on the snow is, sure she defeated the white frost.....so it's understandable that the climate might have changed for awhile, but as soon as the quest ends, bang the climate is back to normal everywhere. It might have been better if the just left the world a little whiter post "something ends" quest and it gradually changed back to normal. . . .for immersions sake.

I think it's snowing because in that ending it's winter, lol.

Initially I romanced Triss but ended up with the 'bad' ending were Ciri dies. I felt betrayed, angry and confused. How the hell did this happen? So I ditched that game in disgust, researched what I'd done wrong and completed the game with the Ciri-Witcheress ending (again romancing Triss). The Ciri Empress feels completely out of character for the game version of Ciri (no idea about the books, sorry) and the Ciri death ending is just contrived bullshit. Just my personal opinion.

During my "blind" playthrough I:

1. Send Keira to Kaer Morhen.

She obviously doesn't deserve to be killed by Geralt or Radovid, especially considering that she will cure Ciri's gift aka Catriona plague.

2. Saved children. Baron hanged himself.

Children shouldn't suffer because of adults' doings. I think after what happened in Crookbag Bog's area peaseants will think twice before dealing with creatures like Crones again.
About baron - he built his misfortune by his own hands. Nothing to add.

3. Helped Letho. Invite him to Kaer Morhen.

Initially I was eager to kill Letho in TW2. Especially after he kidnapped Triss. But discovering the fact, that he took care about Yen during her amnesia, instead of leaving her alone, in best case, or drown her in the nearest swamp, in the worst - I think this pal deserves a medal. That's why we parted on good terms and in TW3 he and Geralt fight side by side again.

p.s. still hate CDPR for absence possibility to save Serrit and Auckes (Egan) in TW2. :realmad:

4. Kill Whoreson Jr.

He is sick bastard. I doubt that someone would cry for him.

5. Dijkstra rules the North.

I agreed with Sigi that in a sake of Yen's and Triss' safety (and Ciri's probably, too. She also has magic abilities.) - Radovid must die. So he did.
And later I was stunned by Roche's words about "unity" with Nilfgaard. In a name of the witcher Coën and all who gave their lives for North's freedom during Brenna and Sodden - I cannot allow Emhyr to win the war. So I picked Sigi's side. I feel very disgusting for letting Roche, Ves(?) and Thaler die, but I cannot do otherwise.

6. Hjalmar rules Skellige.

First, I have to say that I didn't want to make him king. When time came to decide between him and Cerys - Geralt rode with Hjalmar only for a reason to be sure that he will safe and don't get into trouble...
I think Cerys is a better option. Especially when Dijkstra rules the North. Cerys, Dijkstra and Tancred Thyssen are "peaceful" rulers and they have good chances to build trade alliances and good relations between the countries.
Svangride - is an interesting choice, but the price of his goal is too high, as for me, notably that Cerys and Hjalmar would probably dissapear after "face" with emperial fleet, according to Ermion's (also known as Mousesack) words.

7. Ciri - witcheress .

Everyone should have the right to choose. Geralt honestly told Ciri, that the emperor wants to see her, but when she asked Geralt's opinion about this situation - Geralt said that it's not a good idea. It's obvious that Emhyr didn't want to restore relations with his daughter - he only wants to "use" Ciri to save his power/empire, and considering that due to Emhyr's deeds Ciri's real mother died, Ciri's granny died - Geralt and Ciri went to Velen, passing Vizima.

8. Geralt with Triss.

Seems to be more stable relations, and I personally like how they get along.

9. Let O'Dim took Olgierd's soul.

I don't see any reason to risk Geralt's life for this "buddy" besides sword of the viper's school. So I didn't interfere and asked about new device for Roach.
Most of my first playthough is the same as you, so just point out the different :p

2. Kill the tree.
I don't think that tree is trustable, i don't believe a stranger just appear and say she will save all the child if Geralt release her. Even though that is what it did but there is no way Geralt can be sure at that time, well and to be honest after first playthough i think at least kill that tree is the lesser evil choice

5. Nilfgaard win
Because Geralt own it to Roche and Ves when they come to defend Ciri at Kaer Morhen. Geralt said he will return the favor, so kill Dijkstra is what Geralt should do (Radovid must die, my reason is the same as your).

9. Let O'Dim took Olgierd's soul. (same choice)
Never mess with devil incarnate, they will come back and take revenge :whistle:

Well, I went through the game twice but I will refer to my first blind playthrough.

I sent Keira Metz to Kaer Morhen, which still seem like a no-brainer since she's one of the coolest characters in the game.

Killed the tree and do not regret it. You don't just release some ancient, uber-powerful, murderous god-knows-what into the world because it asks you nicely.

Went through with Letho's plan and sent him to Kaer Morhen. Letho is my brother from another mother for putting up with Yennefer's fabulous amnesiac self and being a general badass.

Spared Whoreson and the Cat witcher because I dislike the idea of playing judge and executioner and I believe so does Geralt.

The game pushed hard for Cerys as Skellige ruler but, being the contrarian asshole that I am, I went with Hjialmar, with problematic consequences. I do believe that Svanrige is the best choice, though. Right as Cerys is about constant war and plundering and amusing as she is when she bangs on about Yennefer, I doubt anyone in Skellige would listen to her and take her seriously as a queen.

Radovid rules the North with all that entails. The assassination mission is one of the most ridiculous quests in the game and I don't want anything to do with it.

Geralt continues to bang Yennefer through thick and thin because that's obviously the kind of stuff he likes to do with his life.

Ciri becomes a witcher or whatever. I have doubts about her success at that but anything is better than getting literally fucked by Voorhis.

Last edited:
I'm in the final stages of my second run, still undecided about some things, but here are my thoughts:

-romance: went with Yennefer the first time out of obligation, thise time I followed my heart and went with Triss.
I don't care about canon, but breaking up with Yennefer to run off with her friend is indeed vile. It kinda feels bad, but I really like Triss (more)

- the whole Nilfgaard/Radovid / Ciri situation is a bit tricky. I hate both Nilfgaard and Radovid, so I really want to stay out of this. I didn't do Reason of State the first time, since I don't want to hand Emhyr victory on a platter. If he wins himself over Radovid and Ciri becomes Empress, fine. But I'm not becoming a kingslayer for this a-hole. Likewise, I don't want to take sides between Dijksta and Roche. Dijkstra might be a reasonable choice, and Roche is a deluded fanatic, but he helped me in Kaer Morhen.
Ciri should decide herself if she wants to see Emhyr. In my first playthrough, I told her about him and said her she should decide, and when she asked about my opinion, I told her mine. Totally stand by that decision, although I might go against my convictions this time and do everything to get the Empress ending. Still torn about this one

- killed the spirit/let Baron live. Easy decision for me both times. Crones are malicious and it's really bad to let those innocent childs die, but I'm not freeing another monster for a vague promise. Better to have only 1 evil than 2 in this world.

-Ruler of Skellige: went with Cerys the first time, Hjalmar the second. I really hate how the game depicts this and pushes you towards Cerys, so clichee, the male brute vs. the smart, enlightened ruler. The epiolgue really is a joke, to assert that wise ruler Cerys would just stop raiding and have have her lands flourish in peace is laughable. These dudes weren't raiding for fun, it was essential for their standing in society. These society relied upon personal relations/retinue and prestige, and you get that by succesfull raids. If you are the first female ruler you already have a hard standing as it is, the assertion that you could lean back and everything will be fine is bs.
I could really live with Svanrige, he seemed to be a suprisingly good alternative, but the price is just too high. Hjalmar is also unsatisfying because Birna gets away, but I really don't want Cerys. It's really bollocks, almost feels like feminist ideology how he presented them.

- sent Keira and Lethos both to Kaer Morhen. Both easy decisions. Keira had a stupid plan and don't like her desire for luxury and vanity, but she's kinda nice, and it's nice that she and Lambert bond on. They are a good match imo. Letho is ok in my book.

- killed Whoreson Junior both times. Easiest decision in the game. I don't strive that much to be a judge/executioner, but this guy is just despicable. I wanted to kill him more than Imlerith or any other.

- didn't kill the cat witcher. Although he really went too far with his massacres, and the cat witchers are really messed up and a danger to the already bad reputation of Witchers and therefore a danger for Geralt, I just couldn't do it. Some day he will reap what he sowed, I just don't see why I as a fellow witcher should be the one to do it. His behaviour is inexcusable, but understandable from a fellow Witcher's POV. You really try to help people but get hate and betrayal in return.

- i killed the other cat witcher together with Lambert though. He was simply a liar who's still an a-hole, I don't like being fooled, especially since I would Lambert down.

Last edited:
is it just me, or did the "witcheress" ending get cut significantly?

the other two ciri endings were all rather longer and more involved.

It's not just you, It would have been really cool if they added a quest in there where you go hunt a monster together with Ciri or something like that.

Btw my Fav ending:
- Niflgaard wins the war
- Radovid dies
- Ciri becomes empress
- Geralt ends up with Yennefer in cozy cabin

Yes, it was indeed cut, this post by Sarcen for example shows some scenes that were deleted from the epilogue. Additionally, the witcheress epilogue was planned to be in Novigrad instead of White Orchard. Also, these lines seem to be in the game files, but they are not used:
Geralt: Triss awaits in Ellander.
Cirilla: We can meet her in two days if we hurry.

Geralt: Yen awaits in Ellander.
Cirilla: We can meet her in two days if we hurry.
However, cutting down the witcheress epilogue may have been done on purpose as an "artistic" choice, so that it focuses entirely on Geralt's and Ciri's relationship, especially considering that they even deleted the lines quoted above.

yeah, i really wish they didn't cut it. much of witcher is about the impact/consequences of the choices you make. if ciri becomes an empress, there are consequences to that...which you find out in a rather bittersweet, almost heartbreaking monologue-quest with ciri.

you don't get that the witcheress ending, other than the very upbeat "time to use this shiny new sword!"

moreover i'd have like to have one last gathering of the major characters, which we get a little bit of with the empress ending and not at all with the others.

yeah, i really wish they didn't cut it. much of witcher is about the impact/consequences of the choices you make. if ciri becomes an empress, there are consequences to that...which you find out in a rather bittersweet, almost heartbreaking monologue-quest with ciri.

Hey we still got the piggyback ride! :smiling2:

1. Send Keira to Kaer Morhen (both playthroughs).
I felt she didn't deserve to die and I like having all the crew by my side when it comes to the battle.

2. Killed the spirit of the tree, kids in crookback bog died
(both playthroughs).
I didn't know about the fact that you could kill the spirit before the crones asked you to do so, and by doing that you could save both the children and the Baron's wife. So I chose to obey to the crones, because I felt that they were at least part of a functioning system, that had an order and an equilibrium. Setting an evil spirit free in the forest could have caused much more trouble. By the way: the crones die in the end, so those kids were their last victims.

3. Helped Letho. Invited him to Kaer Morhen
(both playthroughs).
In what I consider my "official" TW2 playthrough I decided to free Saskia from the control of the lodge, so I wasn't able to rescue Triss myself. Since Letho rescued her for me I thought I had to repay the favor and help him.

4. Killed Whoreson Jr
(both playthroughs).
He deserved it and since there seem to be no tribunals in The Witcher universe I didn't have the option to send him to prison. Letting him go wasn't an option in my book, and Geralt can't know that he will end up as a crazy beggar when he has to decide wether to kill him or spare him.

5. Nilfgaard conquers the north
(both playthroughs).Killed Radowid because he is a sick, megalomaniac bastard. Killed Dijkstra because he betrays his allies and I'm a Temeria fan. BTW in my second playthrough I was planning to make Ciri the new emperess of Nilfgaard, so I wanted to give her the world to rule upon.

6. Cerys rules Skellige
(both playthroughs).
She is the best by far. She cares for her people and doesn't like useless raids and slaughters.

7. Ciri - emperess of nilfgaard (only in the second playthrough).
I replayed the game just to achieve this ending, which I consider better than the other, supposedly good, ending. She becomes queen of the world guys!! How can it be the "bittersweet ending"?? Is it because she has to leave Geralt? In the final slideshow we learn that they go their own separate ways even if we achieve the "Witcher" ending so, what's the difference?

8. Geralt with Yennefer
(both playthroughs).
My very personal opinion is that Triss is a useless brat that tries to steal you from Yennefer just because she wants the best guy in town, not because she really cares about you. She is supposed to be a more decisive and independent person in this chapter, but I really don't see it. You need to save her every time, to help her with everything she does. She is the leader of a mage resistence whose only purpose is to organize a massive escape. What about fighting back?? The game shows us what this escape brings: it doesn't solve anything and causes only a switch in the scapegoat that Novigrad people find to unleash their rage upon. If you choose her as a love interest you become her stay-at-home husband in a frozen up country and you need to live on the money she earns. So much for an happy ending. Yennefer is totally different: she cares about you, protects you when people accuse you of heresy (in Freya's Gardens) and at the end decides to sacrifice her love of politics just to be with you. More importantly she gives a real contribution in your quest to find Ciri and doesn't ask you to do stuff for her that has nothing to do with your goals (like Triss does). Yeah, she is cold as ice, pisses off all your friends and acts like a disappointed mother at everything you do, but I'll take that one hundred times over a girl that is not much more than your groupie.

9. Save Olgierd von Everec
(both playthroughs).
People deserve a second chance (if they repent) and most of what he did was caused by the fact that his feelings had been stripped from him. By the way: If Olgierd is evil than what is O'Dimm? He is much worse, no matter how you put it.

1. Keira and Lambert together
Perfect couple :nice::smile2:

2. Tried to be smart, freed the spirit before I went in the swamp to the Crones.

Result: Baron alive, Children dead, Village destroyed ->Maximum number of dead people. Possibly the worst ending for this situation.

3. Cerys rules Skellige

She is the best of them. Hjalmar is a nice guy, but his solution for everything is to hit it with his axe. Svanrige seems to be competent but not helping his friends feels out of character for Geralt.

4. Nilfgaard wins the war

In my opinion Dijkstra would be the better ruler for the North. But I could not sacrifice Roche, Ves and Thaler. Propably I am too soft.
Although CDPR whitewashed Nilfgaard and gave them the best ending screens, I still don't trust them, espacially Emhyr. Too bad he did not die in my ending. Maybe in a second playthrough.

5. Ciri is a Witcheress

I would never let her go to Emhyr. Never. I also told him that she hated him. He deserves it.
I like the picture of him sitting on his throne, conqueror of the North, most powerful man in the known world. Lonely and unhappy. Everyone who was important to him is dead or gone. He sacrificed everything to lead Nilfgaard to glory. His first wife, dead, his next wife, erased from history by CDPR and now he lost his only daughter.
Deserves him right. Killing your wife and planning to sleep with your daughter should not be rewarded :cheers2:

6. Romance

Geralt is with Yen and both are happy. Until their next dispute and the on-off relationship is starting anew. Or maybe not?
Unimportant. Both of them deserve each other :D

I got the worst ending: Radovid won the war, Ciri died (or is missing), Geralt killed the last Crone to get Ciris necklace back then he pretty much committed suicide. I also got no romance (even tho I romanced the pants off Triss) :( Bad Times. Hopefully I will right all my wrongs with my second playthough :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom