Which fantasy film is the best

+
Drogonheart! The first movie of course, not the second Wink
Yeah, you are right. Dragonheart is a real good one. I like the voice of Sean Connery in the original version and the voice of Mario Adorf in the German synchronisation!

i really enjoyed Pitch Black, but that opening scene when the spaceship "windshield" blows out on entry into the planet's atmosphere nearly caused me to stop watching right then and there ... however, i decided not to be so harsh and kept watching. I feel I was well rewarded ... great fun!....but i *can't* quite forgive them the insane physics ... ;D

gamewidow said:
i really enjoyed Pitch Black, but that opening scene when the spaceship "windshield" blows out on entry into the planet's atmosphere nearly caused me to stop watching right then and there ... however, i decided not to be so harsh and kept watching. I feel I was well rewarded ... great fun!....but i *can't* quite forgive them the insane physics ... ;D
I edited that bit out before I posted it "if you can forget the impossible physics". So yeah, I agree with you. I took it out though, as bottom line, these are fantasy films we're talking about here. The guy habitually does things that are made to look ordinary but are impossible, regardless of the physics "goof-ups". Let's just accept that he inhabits a parallel universe that's similar but not the same ;DAh well. Back down to earth: I really like this Korean film called The Warrior. It's awesome :)

Whisperwind said:
I see Riddicks storys mentioned (pitch black and chronicles of riddick) - they're good! very! Specialy if you like skillful assasins, who are searched but manage to walk amongst people who search him and don't get in to ... well at least not in to too much trouble :D lots of twists in storys, you hope one, he does another :D Oh! DUNE! frank herberts (if I spelled it right). The Dune, very great movie, kinda unique, deep and truly beautiful. There is a sequel too - the children of dune (3 movies, the dune had... I belive 2, at least I know 2 books.), not bad but not as good as The Dune
I loved Pitch BlackI grew up on David Lynch's version of Dune from 1984.I was really impressed by the 2 movies/series that took on the first 3 Dune books. Dune, Dune Messiah, and Children of Dune. I'm not huge on sci-fi, but Herbert was brilliant.

I was hoping this thread might have some decent sword and sorcery film recommendations, like a list form'd from the responses.Anyway another vote for Princess Bride here...fantastic film (I'm yet to read the book). Conan films were ok, but Red Sonja was a bit overly cheesy for me (o'course I'd watch it just for Brigitte Nielsen...).Excalibur I'd have to recommend. Not seen it in years but still ranks as a favourite. Think it's due a Blu-ray release before long. And I'm a devot'd fan of POTC films, despite being inclin'd to think they should've cut out the supernatural crap (or at least limit'd it in DMC and AWE).

"The man from earth" is my personal best and leaving some movies made for series out i would say that "Event Horizon" was cool too ( it is horror - sci-fi not suitable for minors )

I tend to dislike fantasy movies, even fantasy novels as of late, because of tremendeous amount of cliches. Actually I tend to dislike most of the movies (especially from hollywood) because they've become so predictable and filled with cliches it's painful to watch them.

You've re-discovered Sturgeon’s Revelation: Ninety percent of everything is crap :)May movies suggested in this thread are actually pastiches. That and other subtler story telling techniques do tend to be mistaken for cliché by a cursory reading. But even the straight up retellings of the hero with a thousand faces and might be truly enjoyable if it manages to capture something of the essence./Dan

I like the LotR Movies, but there are some movies from the 80s which I really love. Labyrinth, Legend and Ladyhawke are some of my all time favourites.

Alalzia said:
"The man from earth" is my personal best and leaving some movies made for series out i would say that "Event Horizon" was cool too ( it is horror - sci-fi not suitable for minors )
Hang on, that's science fiction. Thought this was a swords n sorcery thread (as in no spaceships or Harry Potter).Not that much a fan of fantasy films either (so few good ones). I can't get past the historical mash-ups. It seriously gets on my nerves when they mix up technology, culture etc from periods seperated by hundreds of years in time or unlike Tolkien have made no effort to think about what language the various people speak. An example being these Camelot/Arthur movies and tv series, all of which are horridly confused. Even that one with Clive Owen that attempted to give it a slightly more plausible 5th century setting but then had the soldiers as knights and clad in woefully innacurate clothing and equipment.

dahura said:
You've re-discovered Sturgeon’s Revelation: Ninety percent of everything is crap :)May movies suggested in this thread are actually pastiches. That and other subtler story telling techniques do tend to be mistaken for cliché by a cursory reading. But even the straight up retellings of the hero with a thousand faces and might be truly enjoyable if it manages to capture something of the essence./Dan
I know Sturgeon's Revelation for a long time, already. Though I don't think it's correct, I'd rather go to 99%, but those are details I don't want to argue about.Let's just say that all of the movies I've watched none deserves the title the best movie I watched, because they are all weak.

The Lord of the Rings, as it is, as I pictured it, when I read the books, so much so, that I read them, again after each movie release

I liked LOTR, Dungeons & Dragons (the second, especially), the Harry Potter movies and Princess Bride. And I don't know if Pirates of the Caribbean fall under this category, I like them as well.Someone had mentioned Krull, I agree, that was a great movie :)

Top Bottom