Which is your language ???

+
I am Czech, also speaking English (learned at school since I was 7yrs old, but still learning, but I learned the most from movies, cartoons - especially Dexter's Lab ;D and games). I suck in Polish, even though my country is right next to them and I live near the border, and everyone keeps telling me: it is so simple! you just HAVE to hear it in it ;D I just don't ;D

I'm czech too, and I'm not good at Polish, but I live near the border witch Austria so It's not such a faux pas ;D. Then I speak English and a little bit of German. Of course I understand slavonic languages more or less.

rpg-freak said:
nativ speak...Dutch. :)Can understand English and German. (German writingor reading is a different story.) ;)
I actually have an easier time reading German than I do hearing, speaking, or writing it...
rpg-freak said:
I'm Polish, also speaking English, understand German and Latin a little (vert usefull skill in today's world) :D
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam. ;) (Fun source for silly Latin phrases like that one: http://www.yuni.com/library/latin.html )

HALLO !!! I am from Greece...I speak English ..i know also few words from German language...little Italian and Spanish..... I wish you good luck in game...

Saem said:
Saem said:
(Fun source for silly Latin phrases like that one: http://www.yuni.com/library/latin.html )
Great site, thx :D
No problem :)Suppose I could put this in the Hairy Bear thread, but it is language-related, so...Amusing encounter my dad had on Saturday that he told me about (sadly, I was in class at the time and thus wasn't there myself): Dad went down to the Polskie Delikatesy on Saturday morning to see if they had paczki (of course, they did, which he picked up along with kolaczki and gołąbki). There were lots of customers there that morning and the customers and staff were all speaking Polish. One of the customers came out the front door and started talking to dad in Polish. Dad: "I'm sorry, I don't speak Polish." Customer, switching to English: "But you look Polish!" Dad: "Well, I am, but I'm second-generation American so I don't know the language." (actually 3rd or 4th generation..) Customer: "Ah! I've been here fourteen years now! My name is Stan, what is yours?" Dad: "Frank." Stan: "Ah! Frank! A good Polish name!" ;D Dad thought it was an amusing encounter and was still grinning about it when I got back from class.

IcedSoul said:
HALLO !!! I am from Greece...I speak English ..i know also few words from German language...little Italian and Spanish..... I wish you good luck in game...
Welcome and Καλωσήρθες! :wave: I can see with pleasure that much more Greeks are here lately. At the beginning, i was alone...

At the beginning, i was alone... [/QUOTE]HELLO FROM HOT IOANNINA... :p (an kai to xeimwna to tsouzei ligo.. :) ).. I hope not to feel lonely here...

Quixote said:
Customer: "Ah! I've been here fourteen years now! My name is Stan, what is yours?" Dad: "Frank." Stan: "Ah! Frank! A good Polish name!"
Nice story. Polish words between your English are fuuny to read ;)

Saem said:
Nice story. Polish words between your English are fuuny to read ;)
We may've lost the language, but we kept the food ;) Usually once every week or two, supper's kielbasa and pierogies :) ...just don't ask me to pronounce some of the food names correctly ;D

kiełbasa [kiawbasa]ki - like in kida - like in playw - like in wallba - like in baskets - like in sella - like in passwordpierogi [pea'arogge]pea - like in peacea - like in wayro - like in rockgg - like in egge - just like a letter "e"Hope it helps a bit ;D

*chuckles* Thanks, Vatt'ghern :) Usually around my area (the west side of Cleveland, Ohio, USA), most people tend to pronounce the names as follows:Kielbasa is either pronounced "keel-bah-sa", "kill-bah-sah", "kah-bah-see", or "kah-bah-sah" and usually refers to to wiejska (or something similar). Wikipedia's comment on the varied spellings and pronounciations in the US is:
The term entered English simultaneously from different sources, which accounts for the different spellings. In the United States, the form kielbasa (usually pronounced /kiːlˈbɑːsə/ or /kɪlˈbɑ:sə/) is more often used and comes from the Polish kiełbasa pronounced [kʲewˈbasa] "sausage", in turn from Turkic külbastı "grilled cutlet"[1]). In New Jersey, Pennsylvania and most areas of Greater New York City, the Czech pronunciation, or possibly a derivative of the Polish word is used, and is usually pronounced "ke-bah-see" (kiełbasi: Polish slang for kiełbasa, often used when referring to kiełbasa in plural form) or "keu-bah-sah." In addition to kielbasa, Canadians also use the word kubasa (/kuːbɒˈsɒ, ˈkuːbəsɒ/), a corruption of the Ukrainian kovbasa (ковбаса), and Albertans even abbreviate it as kubie to refer to the sausage eaten on a hot dog bun.[2]
Pierogies usually get pronounced as either 'pea-row-g-ee' or 'per-oh-g-ee'. The "o" sound tends to get stressed more than in the explination you provided. I don't know if those pronounciations are similar to another language, as I've head everyone from Germans to Russians tell me their country invented them first and has the "correct" version ;)Paczki is 'punch-key' or 'poonch-key'.Kolaczki tends to be called 'klotch-key'. (Again, this word seems to have entered the US via different languages around the same time as I've seen at least a half-dozen spellings. A friend from Pennsylvania's recent comment was, "Oh! So that's what those are called. I always just called them those 'little rectangular things with jelly' that always appear on cookie trays.")...and I have no idea at all how gołąbki is pronounced as everyone here just calls it "stuffed cabbage" ;D*runs off and hides before someone injures him for butchering their language with the above descriptions* :)

As another Cleveland West Sider, who is half German, and who also lived for years in Michigan, with an Aunt from Hamtramck, in Detroit, Michigan, USA (a major Polish Enclave).I speak zero Polish, I do know about 3 words of German, but probably don't pronounce them correctly. I devour Kielbasa, which I have pronounced "Kill - bah -sa", and also like Pierogies. I demolish pronunciation of that as "pea- row-g-ee". Stuffed Cabbage is pronounced by me as Stuffed Cabbage, and no way I'm going to attempt to pronounce golabki either.... I do enough damage to my own American English, without tackling demolition testing on the pronunciation of any OTHER languages. But I will eat the food. :beer:

hahaha :Dnicegołąbki [gauw:eek:ubkey]gau - like in gaudyw: - like in wallou - like in poundb - like "b" :pkey - like "key" :DI have no idea who actually invented pierogi and other things, but I am pretty sure the beginnings are in Rzeczpospolita - united Poland and Lithuania. As the country was in fact a mixture of many cultures (nowadays it territories are in Poland, Lithuania, Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, Latvia and Estonia), it can't be clear who invented. But why to argue about that? It is simply from middle/middle-east Europe :)And of course the food tastes great ;D

Top Bottom