which weight will mods have to the game?

+
which weight will mods have to the game?

Sry if there is already a thread to this topic.

I guess most people know how much mods did support Skyrim. It is still one of the most played games on steam and has a very active modding community. You get new stuff frequently. These range from new quests to new items and gameplay/mechanic improvments.

Now we know that TW3 will have mod support which is at least as extended as in TW2.
So I was wondering if we will see more mods for TW3 than we had in TW2.
TW2 was heavily story driven and there wasnt much of a point in modding apart from visuals.
The combat rebalance was the only big mod I can think of and it is pretty new too.

So with the real open world and new mechanics, is it possible that people will create quests based on the books or create new locations?
Were the TW2 mod tools actually capable of doing this?

I would love to have user created content comming to the game for years to come and TW3 being as big as Skyrim in that regard.

That would be amazing, I've been part of the Bethesda's modding community since Morrowind and it's amazing how that community has evolved over the years and the amount of talent in it. Sure, there is a lot of stuff that is mediocre or bad like in every other modding scene but people constantly push the boundaries, coming up with cool ideas.

It would be a dream come true if TW3 experiences something similar. It comes down to a few things:
1. Game popularity, for a game to have a decent size modding community it need sales. Not really an issue with TW3 I think.
2. How difficult it is to mod it. This includes user friendliness of the tools as well as how powerful these tools are. What features do these tools provide? How difficult is it for me to make a new sword (new mesh, textures etc.) and add in a chest somewhere in game? Basically how much effort are the devs willing to make to support their modding community.
3. General interest of the community in modding and using mods. Basically, how much effort is the community willing to make in order to have a thriving modding scene.

We really can't tell right now how big the modding scene will be because we still don't know how the tools will work, what they can do and we don't know how interested the community is in this. But if you look at TW1 and then TW2 you can definitely see a growing trend there going from one game to the next.

Oh yeahhhhhh, I was surprised to see the level of access REDKit offered while also being simple enough to use for a 'joe user'.

But why where there so few mods then? I only looked at nexus, but google search did not find much more.
Like I said, the games style didnt make much of a point to mod, but if it is possible, why was there never one who tried it?

The mods are on the redkit site mostly and why? Well two main reasons:

The mod toolkit came out too late
Witcher doesn't have the fanbase of say a TES game or a GTA game.

Well, then lets hope it will be bigger with TW3. Seeing the hype around the game and the open world setting it could attract alot of modders.

TES modding community is huge because somebody has to create a game out of that messy engine, and it sure isn't Bethesda.

With The Witcher we actually get an awesome game, so like you say most mods will probably be graphical or complementary quests.

TES modding community is huge because somebody has to create a game out of that messy engine, and it sure isn't Bethesda.

With The Witcher we actually get an awesome game, so like you say most mods will probably be graphical or complementary quests.

I dont get the hate for Skyrim. It is an awesome game.
There are mods like Frostfall ( http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/11163/? ) which add a lot of immersion which developer cant bring to the game since it would make the game too fussy and difficult for casual gamers. So I hope we see a lot of them in TW3 too.
I would love to see like a house building mod like in Skyrim. Also modders dont have to go straight after the books.

'K everyone, the Skyrim comments were starting to go a bit off-topic, so can we get back to TW3 please?

I'm hoping for a lot more modding with TW3, but I suspect it will depend on how long a delay there is before the REDKit gets updated. Hopefully, it'll be pretty fast.

Alright sorry if I was rude but Skyrim was brought up in the original post.

I guess most people know how much mods did support Skyrim

The reason is simply TES games are sandboxes, that means there is not much actual content and you are expected you make your own fun if you can. This leads to a strong modding community creating these elements, as the game expects them to do.

The Witcher goes in a very different direction, and even though many mods may be created, you don't really see the urge to do so because the base game is already packed with story telling, decision making, exciting combat mechanics, a plethora of interesting problems and items, and so on.

So sure, I expect mods to be more prevalent in TW3 if the new RED Kit comes out soon after the main game. But I don't see a modding community as large as Bethesda's because the game doesn't need it.

I thought it was more to do with the size of the fan base, to be honest.

Even linear shooter games can have massive mod activity. No matter what the game, people will create weird and wacky things, even from mere morsels.

Last edited:
Top Bottom