White artifacts (dots) at night

+
White artifacts (dots) at night

Hello,I'm noticing a graphical glitch in the game that becomes very noticeable in dark scenes and/or at night. A large number of white dots will appear and disappear, but this only appears to happen on the leaves of trees and bushes. My vid card is at factory clockspeeds and maxes at 55C while the game is running. This problem occurs only within The Witcher.Quick system specs:X2 4200+8800GT 5122GB RAM480w Antec TP2 PSXP32Also, is there a fix forthcoming for dual core processor support? I'd rather not have to go into the Task Manager each time I play the game to get both cores working as they should.Thanks!

the small dots are caused by antialiasing. Turn it off if it bothers you that much. As to the dual core question... they didnt mention anything about it in the upcoming 1.2 patch, but they still might be working on it. Personnaly, even if i set the affinity properly, it gives me gain in performance whatsoever. By the way, how well does the game run on your pc? WE have very similar specs and it runs like crap on mine. I have tried everything possible to fix this issue, yet it persists. Im playing at 1280*1024 no matter what settings, i get low fps. 8800gts 320mbX2 42002GbXP with 5 different nvidia drivers, still no gain.

Crap, turning off AA does get rid of the dots, but I think I'd rather have it on. Is this a fixable issue?Anyway, having both cores going nets me maybe 3-4FPS at most. It's not a huge difference, but still a worthwhile one.And what sort of FPS are you getting? I probably average 40+ at 1680x1050 with everything maxed except for depth of field. When there's a lot of stuff on the screen it'll drop down into the low 20s at times. It definitely could be better, but it's not awful.

gRapefruit said:
the small dots are caused by antialiasing. Turn it off if it bothers you that much. As to the dual core question... they didnt mention anything about it in the upcoming 1.2 patch, but they still might be working on it. Personnaly, even if i set the affinity properly, it gives me gain in performance whatsoever. By the way, how well does the game run on your pc? WE have very similar specs and it runs like crap on mine. I have tried everything possible to fix this issue, yet it persists. Im playing at 1280*1024 no matter what settings, i get low fps. 8800gts 320mbX2 42002GbXP with 5 different nvidia drivers, still no gain.
My system is kind of close:MSI K9N Platinum (AM2, nForce 570 Chipset)AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+nVidia 8800GTS 320MB (163.95? beta drivers)2GB GeiL Ultra DDR2-800Pioneer DVR-212 SATA DVD-RW driveSeagate 320GB SATA II HDDHercules Fortissmo III 7.1 sound card (motherboard on board sound disabled)Windows XP Professional SP2 (located on first partition, 25GB in size) plus critical updates to 1.11.2007Page File set to 4096MB, fixed size, located on same partition as O/SMemory Usage set to System CacheThe Witcher installed on G: drive, 100GB in sizeRunning at 1280x1024 / 32-bit colour, all settings maximum. No performance issues at all.

XXXXVIII said:
XXXXVIII said:
My system is kind of close:MSI K9N Platinum (AM2, nForce 570 Chipset)AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+nVidia 8800GTS 320MB (163.95? beta drivers)2GB GeiL Ultra DDR2-800Pioneer DVR-212 SATA DVD-RW driveSeagate 320GB SATA II HDDHercules Fortissmo III 7.1 sound card (motherboard on board sound disabled)Windows XP Professional SP2 (located on first partition, 25GB in size) plus critical updates to 1.11.2007Page File set to 4096MB, fixed size, located on same partition as O/SMemory Usage set to System CacheThe Witcher installed on G: drive, 100GB in sizeRunning at 1280x1024 / 32-bit colour, all settings maximum. No performance issues at all.
yeah, i dont think its because my computer is too weak. Maybe its because my pagefile is set to 2560MB? Ill try setting it to 4096... or ill also try disableing it altogether.

Game runs smoothly everywhere, it just irritates me when i'm in the forests, there are artifacts all over the trees leaves etc. Anyone have a fix for this or is it just another game bug?

Aldek said:
No, you're not the only one. White squares are there sometimes. Vista + 8800GTS.
white sparkling dots in trees are caused by antialiasing. Turn it off if it bothers you that much.

Set the Antialiasing Transparency to supersampling in the nvidia control panel's settings for the Witcher.

This isn't a huge issue per say, but its definitely something that has been bothering me since I got the game.Im running Windows XP x64 with 4 gb of ram and a eVGA GeForce 880 GTS SSC video card.Everything runs smoothly, except that every characters eyes have extremely bright white dots. If anyone has encountered a similar problem, please let me know (and any possible solutions)I have already tried installing new drivers for the video card.Thanks in advance

Hi there,Every so often when my game is loading a new area (travelling between zones) my game crashes.It also happens sometimes after some cinematics and when I try to save my game.I'm running a Intel Core Duo E6600 at 2.4Ghz and a 9800 GTX with 2 gig ddr2 ram.OS is Vista 32 bit with all the latest updates and drivers.I'm just curious if this is a hardware problem or not, I'm running the game on max settings on 1680x1050 resolution.In almost all parts of the game my FPS is 30-40 or higher, except in the Trade Quarter where It's a measly 10-20 ???Also I get weird artifacts on the trees(sometimes weird lighting issues). I looked if it was my 9800GTX overheating but its around 60-65 C when I'm playing so that can't be the problem.Anyway to summarize, I get weird crashes and some bad performance on some areas, could this be my ram memory not being adequate , or perhaps my CPU?Or maybe 9800 GTX not being properly supported?Or this this just related to the game itself being somewhat poorly made for vista 32 bit ?Hope any of you guys takes the time to help me out, I've been playing with these issues for a while but they are starting to get more annoying :mad:

What is the size of your pagefile ? Which version of Vista 32 do you have ? What is the version of your video drivers ?

I'm using driver version 175.16.http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_175.16_whql.htmlI'm using Vista Home Premium 32 bit, with SP 1 installed.About the pagefile, I'm not sure what you mean with that :eek:EDIT: 2345MB, been googling. :)

Raise it, it should help you out. Heres how to do it a. Click on start b. Control panel c. System d. Advanced tab e. Performance f. Advanced g. Modify i. Click on hard drive and if there is a pagefile attach to it ii. Click on No swap File (or something similar, sorry my windows is in French) iii. Click on define iv. Repeat for every hard drive / partition that has a page file. v. Click done and close everything vi. Reboot Last thing to do is to create a new pagefile. a. Click on start b. Control panel c. System d. Advanced tab e. Performance f. Advanced g. Modify ii. If you only have one hard disk but more than one partition, put the swapfile on the first partition (C: drive) iii. Select the drive where you want to create the pagefile Iv. Enter 4096 (4 Gb in both minimum and maximum size box) v. Click define vi. Click done and close everything vii. Reboot.

JoAshtaroth said:
I'm just curious if this is a hardware problem or not, I'm running the game on max settings on 1680x1050 resolution.In almost all parts of the game my FPS is 30-40 or higher, except in the Trade Quarter where It's a measly 10-20 ???
the game gets pretty hard on the video card in the Trading Quarter, for everyonetry to lower your screen resolution and the Anti-aliasing

Put my page file to 4GB like you said and I'm still having these random crashes when loading a new area or saving/loading.Also I still have some artifacts (glimmering white dots) in the trees, especially at night.Unrelated or not, kinda odd.I guess I'll have to ignore the game and be more thoughtfull and save more frequently :)Thank you for the help, if there is something else I can try, that would be awesome aswell

Going back to the white dots again.They appear in the trees in the game at night, in some places they happen a lot, almost lights it up like a christmas tree.When I stand still(the camera) it seems to dissapear mostly, only a couple of the dots remain.I tried to take a screenshot but usually you only see a very small amount of the white snow on them, but here it is anyway(Zoom In if needed)http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/7449/witcher2008052514201980kh2.jpgDoes nobody else have this? or noticed this ?my 9800 GTX is factory overclocked but I underclocked it back to vanilla to try and see and it had no affect, not strange since the overclockis extremely tiny, even when i put the graphics card to the higher overclock i have it, the artifacts remain(more or less in the same amount).I even tried everything in the Nvidia control panel for graphic settings and nothing seems to have an affect.

Top Bottom