White flashlight visual bug.

+
So as the title says, Ive been seeing this weird flashlight'ish visual bug whenever i play this game. It appears wherever i look as garelt but not as ciri. It's some sort of white line in the middle of the screen. and its in every plave i try to walk run etc. as if garelt has flashlights in his eyes that shine out. reinstalling the game didnt help. either.
I play this game at 1440p with everything set to the max. including hairworks. But..it also happeneds at every other setting and resolution i try to play as.
it also stays no matter where its installed on. ssd/hdd
sadly cant post a video on here. and its hard to notice in an image.

: specs
Rtx 2070 super
ryzen 5 2600x @ 4.1
ddr4 2x8 (16) @ 3200
Installed on a hdd

Do you have any mods installed for this game? If you do, that might be causing the problem.

If you don‘t have any mods installed, you could do this, just in case:

Or try rolling back to older GPU driver versions.
I have the issue with both mods and not mods. verifying doesnt do anything. And have had this issue even with my old 1070. and i ddu'd before installing the 2070 super. older drivers newer drivers nothing fixes it.

it really is some sort of flashlight ish line that appears where ever i aim to. but not in cutscenes.

So as the title says, Ive been seeing this weird flashlight'ish visual bug whenever i play this game. It appears wherever i look as garelt but not as ciri. It's some sort of white line in the middle of the screen. and its in every plave i try to walk run etc. as if garelt has flashlights in his eyes that shine out. reinstalling the game didnt help. either.
I play this game at 1440p with everything set to the max. including hairworks. But..it also happeneds at every other setting and resolution i try to play as.
it also stays no matter where its installed on. ssd/hdd
sadly cant post a video on here. and its hard to notice in an image.

: specs
Rtx 2070 super
ryzen 5 2600x @ 4.1
ddr4 2x8 (16) @ 3200
Installed on a hdd

It's very hard to understand what this could possibly be without an image. If you could take a few screenshots, at least, that would help immensely. As it stands, it's a bit like driving blind.

Just note, as well, that if you use mods, they will permanently affect the save-state of your game. Even if you uninstall the mods, the reference data will remain in that saved game. To ensure this is not mod related, uninstall all mods, repair / verify the installation, then begin a brand new game, Geralt Level 1. If it occurs then, it's most likely a driver / GPU issue. (Compatibility for RTX cards and Ryzen chipsets may be spotty. The game was not designed for either of them.)

It's very hard to understand what this could possibly be without an image. If you could take a few screenshots, at least, that would help immensely. As it stands, it's a bit like driving blind.

Just note, as well, that if you use mods, they will permanently affect the save-state of your game. Even if you uninstall the mods, the reference data will remain in that saved game. To ensure this is not mod related, uninstall all mods, repair / verify the installation, then begin a brand new game, Geralt Level 1. If it occurs then, it's most likely a driver / GPU issue. (Compatibility for RTX cards and Ryzen chipsets may be spotty. The game was not designed for either of them.)
this happened with older gpu's and before i had the ryzen 2600x i had the i5 7600. The issue has been there for a long time. I first just ignored it. but its kinda getting to a point where i no longer can. I wish i could show it in a screenshot but i cant. you will only see it in a video. I tried doing it via a video on youtube but for some reason its a bit unseeable on there. But here is the link to the video:

The only thing I'm seeing is a small, flashing circle that appears to be related to the shaders on the pommel of Geralt's steel sword not drawing correctly. I'm not seeing any "white line" in the center of the screen.

Is that what you're referring to?

The only thing I'm seeing is a small, flashing circle that appears to be related to the shaders on the pommel of Geralt's steel sword not drawing correctly. I'm not seeing any "white line" in the center of the screen.

Is that what you're referring to?
Yeah as i said its difficult to notice. thats not it. There is a white ish line across the middle that shows up whenever i move left from right. its very seeable ingame. just not as much in a video. but it is there. I wish there was a better way of showing it. the only workable way is a video i made with my phone but it's ofc difficult to show. I also send it through facebook messenger to the witcher official fb page, and they couldnt see what i meant either. xD

Idk why it's so hard to notice outside of game.

It's a white ish line that appears whenever i move the camera or myself from left to right. it follows the middle and pops up wherever i point to as if there is a sort of flashlight.
i checked if it was my monitor too. But it isnt. heck even after getting the new one it still exists. I wish i could show the mobile video but i cant. it doesnt allow me to send any .mp4 files.

Yeah as i said its difficult to notice. thats not it. There is a white ish line across the middle that shows up whenever i move left from right. its very seeable ingame. just not as much in a video. but it is there. I wish there was a better way of showing it. the only workable way is a video i made with my phone but it's ofc difficult to show. I also send it through facebook messenger to the witcher official fb page, and they couldnt see what i meant either. xD

Idk why it's so hard to notice outside of game.

It's a white ish line that appears whenever i move the camera or myself from left to right. it follows the middle and pops up wherever i point to as if there is a sort of flashlight.
i checked if it was my monitor too. But it isnt. heck even after getting the new one it still exists. I wish i could show the mobile video but i cant. it doesnt allow me to send any .mp4 files.

Sorry, @hollyh888, I just watched it again, but I cannot see anything like you're describing in the video. The video is very low-res, though. Perhaps, if you could make a shorter one at 1080p and 60 FPS?

I'm trying to imagine what you could be seeing, and all I can say is that it must be related to your GPU drivers. For the sake of giggles, try disabling the post-processing effects one by one and test the game for a bit after each change. I'd start with the screen vignette effect. It could be the drivers are simply not understanding the calls the game is making and displaying things incorrectly. (The pommel of the sword flashing like that doesn't seem to be correct either.)

Sorry, @hollyh888, I just watched it again, but I cannot see anything like you're describing in the video. The video is very low-res, though. Perhaps, if you could make a shorter one at 1080p and 60 FPS?

I'm trying to imagine what you could be seeing, and all I can say is that it must be related to your GPU drivers. For the sake of giggles, try disabling the post-processing effects one by one and test the game for a bit after each change. I'd start with the screen vignette effect. It could be the drivers are simply not understanding the calls the game is making and displaying things incorrectly. (The pommel of the sword flashing like that doesn't seem to be correct either.)
I did try and change the settings but i could try again :)

and idk why the quality is so bad. i captured it at 1440p. and even rendered it at that resolution. I can try again though ofc :)
Post automatically merged:

here it is better noticeable :)

Last edited:
and idk why the quality is so bad. i captured it at 1440p. and even rendered it at that resolution. I can try again though ofc :)

I doubt it‘s a resolution problem. Perhaps, recording it with a higher bitrate will improve things. But it also depends on the recording software and the used codec.

^ Ja. It will be the "sample rate" or something in your recording software. If not, then it could just be something YouTube is doing. Can't watch it at the moment (at work), but I'll check it out later on and let you know if anything looks...funny...

... :p

^ Ja. It will be the "sample rate" or something in your recording software. If not, then it could just be something YouTube is doing. Can't watch it at the moment (at work), but I'll check it out later on and let you know if anything looks...funny...

... :p
It should be more noticeable in that video :) i see it at least.

It should be more noticeable in that video :) i see it at least.

Still nothing... :LOL: ...sorry!

I really, honestly have no idea what you're seeing. I believe what you're describing is there, but I cannot discern any sort of "white line" or "flashlight" effect at all.

What I can say is that the second video seems to be displaying everything 100% correctly. As in: that's exactly what I would see on my end. Even that "flashing" from the pommel of Geralt's sword is gone. If you want, try to explain in more detail exactly what you're seeing -- where, exactly, on the screen it occurs, some timestamps of exactly when it appears/disappears, etc. (Now, I'm curious to try to detect it. But I think it's simply a part of the normal rendering that you're sensitive to.)

I also don‘t see anything too strange going on. A small part of the building in the background may be a bit weird in terms of light changes, but stuff like that can happen in huge games like that.

It‘s possible that rolling back to a much older gpu driver version might improve things a tiny bit but I doubt that‘s worth the effort.

Still nothing... :LOL: ...sorry!

I really, honestly have no idea what you're seeing. I believe what you're describing is there, but I cannot discern any sort of "white line" or "flashlight" effect at all.

What I can say is that the second video seems to be displaying everything 100% correctly. As in: that's exactly what I would see on my end. Even that "flashing" from the pommel of Geralt's sword is gone. If you want, try to explain in more detail exactly what you're seeing -- where, exactly, on the screen it occurs, some timestamps of exactly when it appears/disappears, etc. (Now, I'm curious to try to detect it. But I think it's simply a part of the normal rendering that you're sensitive to.)
go to 0:10 seconds in. do you not notice the white ish line that crosses on the wall from left to right as geralt moves from left to right?
It's some sort of visual light bug where textures get a white flashlight/line that goes from left to right or in some occasions get too much light on them.you can see it in the video when i move left to right but also turn arround. Maybe i am just one of the few that notices this easily. maybe its due to my autism being able to detect such small changes, But to me its very distracting xD.
the only way i can explain it is how i said it. a white ish line that sort of acts as if there is a flashlight shining onto it moving from left to right as i move geralt from left to right. this appears onto anything. and is even more noticeable in game than in that video. And it cannot be my screen since i have a new one since 2 months and its still here. even before it. and also not my gpu. since i have the 2070 super for about a month now and it also existed back with my 1070.

I also don‘t see anything too strange going on. A small part of the building in the background may be a bit weird in terms of light changes, but stuff like that can happen in huge games like that.

It‘s possible that rolling back to a much older gpu driver version might improve things a tiny bit but I doubt that‘s worth the effort.
I have had numerous of new driver updates. and older ones since back when it released even. Neither helped. and to go to the extremes of doing a fresh windows install is something i would like to avoid. veryfying cache doesnt work. Changing res doesnt work. changing any other setting doesnt work. Adding filters or removing doesnt work. reinstalling doesnt work. nothing i have done works.

In that case, there's probably not that much else you can do to change what is bothering you (I'm still not 100% sure what that is, sorry for that). Hopefully, you can still manage to enjoy the game. And yeah, I know that it can be hard to not look at certain visual aspects, no matter how big or small they are...

go to 0:10 seconds in. do you not notice the white ish line that crosses on the wall from left to right as geralt moves from left to right?

AH!

That is the specular mapping as it works through the engine. It's a shader that attempts to simulate sheen and shine on reflective objects. There is no way to change that, unfortunately, it's part of the rendering engine. Believe it or not, it used to be even more pronounced in prior versions. You'll notice it even more when it's raining or when Geralt is in a "high contrast" area (like using a torch in a dark cave).

Basically, if the engine can draw a single, white pixel to show that something is shiny...that pixel will be drawn. Just something you'll have to get used to, as not even the older tweaks seem to have any effect on the game anymore. (Fiddling with them on my end doesn't seem to change anything.) The one thing that may make a bit of difference is to use Nvidia Control Panel to increase the Anisotropic Filtering Setting to "16x (enhance the 3D application)". That should both sharpen the textures very nicely and decrease the effect a bit. But there will still be scenes where it will happen.

Lowering your resolution to 1080p (if you're running in 1440p, 2K, or 4K) will also mitigate how much "specularity" is drawn. (The game is really designed for 1920x1080.)

If you still see it there, there's nothing else to be done, unfortunately.

AH!

That is the specular mapping as it works through the engine. It's a shader that attempts to simulate sheen and shine on reflective objects. There is no way to change that, unfortunately, it's part of the rendering engine. Believe it or not, it used to be even more pronounced in prior versions. You'll notice it even more when it's raining or when Geralt is in a "high contrast" area (like using a torch in a dark cave).

Basically, if the engine can draw a single, white pixel to show that something is shiny...that pixel will be drawn. Just something you'll have to get used to, as not even the older tweaks seem to have any effect on the game anymore. (Fiddling with them on my end doesn't seem to change anything.) The one thing that may make a bit of difference is to use Nvidia Control Panel to increase the Anisotropic Filtering Setting to "16x (enhance the 3D application)". That should both sharpen the textures very nicely and decrease the effect a bit. But there will still be scenes where it will happen.

Lowering your resolution to 1080p (if you're running in 1440p, 2K, or 4K) will also mitigate how much "specularity" is drawn. (The game is really designed for 1920x1080.)

If you still see it there, there's nothing else to be done, unfortunately.
well that could explain it. its a bit weird the engine would try to do that. But yeah it litterally appears on anything and its very distracting to see a white light going from left to right when you so much as turn even a bit xD

sadly doing the things you said didnt help. Im happy that i already finished the game once. but it has been bugging me more and more xD I hope cyberpunk wont suffer from this. cause i can imagine to more people with autism as myself it could get very distracting (or in worse case unplayable) xD

but anyway thank you from the response. I at least know the cause now :)

well that could explain it. its a bit weird the engine would try to do that. But yeah it litterally appears on anything and its very distracting to see a white light going from left to right when you so much as turn even a bit xD

sadly doing the things you said didnt help. Im happy that i already finished the game once. but it has been bugging me more and more xD I hope cyberpunk wont suffer from this. cause i can imagine to more people with autism as myself it could get very distracting (or in worse case unplayable) xD

but anyway thank you from the response. I at least know the cause now :)

That's art! :howdy:

Now that I understand what you're referring to, I explain it as a matter of the specular mapping being too accurate. Most specular maps are either heavily blended (looking like things are covered in plastic wrap), or they are blended so that there is inaccurate mapping on near-objects (from a distance, things look great, but the effect looks "blurry" and "fake" up close.)

TW3's engine, by contrast, is probably overboard on the accuracy end. In the 1.0x versions, you should have seen it. Especially the chain mail on Geralt's default armor -- every, single ring of mail was accounted for, and would reflect light individually. While that looked spectacular in cinematic scenes...it also tended to look like a miniature fireworks display was going off on Geralt's shoulders at a distance. :LOL:

One of those creative moments where less is definitely more.

Top Bottom