+

White Hair Petition

• True (White)

Votes: 83 76.9%
  • False (Grey)

Votes: 25 23.1%

• Total voters
White Hair Petition

"Hair white as milk", "White Wolf"...etc.

All these are quotations from both the books and the games, and Geralt's white hair is a big part of his identity. What I don't understand is why Geralt's hair isn't white in The Witcher 3. It isn't even stable. Sometimes grey, darker grey, or black. I am not a technical expert, but I'm almost sure giving Geralt white hair has no downsides or difficulties. It's awesome, it makes him unique and true to his fame (white wolf/gwynbleidd)...etc.

Of course I'm not saying this just to complain. I think this is something that can be fixed with the time left until release date. I know a lot of you might think this is a small, irrelevant detail that isn't worth changing. "Grey is good, no need for white" you would say. But I also know that a lot of you appreciate the little details. When you see that the developers have given extra care to a small detail no other game company would've cared about. And yet, this is kind of a big detail, not a small one. Especially if you've read the books, like I did. I have been talking about this for a very long time. Geralt's hair, eyes, appearance... and I never got a response. In the poll I ask which hair color do you want Geralt to have?

I have attached pictures. The first two pics are instances where Geralt's hair is grey, which is 90% of the time. One pic is an instance where his beard is black. And one pic where the top of his hair is white (due to editing effects) and the rest of his his hair and beard are grey. I'm suggesting all his hair is made white. Or at least very close to white, and not grey. It really matters to a lot of us so...

CDPR, please fix Geralt's hair, or at least tell us why you won't fix it.

Thank you :)

Attachments

• Grey2.jpg
    Grey2.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 127
  • Grey.jpg
    Grey.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 100
  • White.jpg
    White.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 78
  • Black.jpg
    Black.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Well, it says "...matters to a lot of us" so there is nothing wrong with the sentence.
Personally i'd like to see Geralt with white hair as mentioned in the books, but he doesn't look bad with the hair in the latest trailers i suppose.

I would very much like whiter hair texture for Geralt in Witcher 3, but if not, at least someone will mod it out like the Witcher 2 white hair mod :p

I didn't like the white hair mod in the witcher 2 :(

---------- Updated at 08:00 PM ----------

but he doesn't look bad with the hair in the latest trailers i suppose.

I liked Geralt's hair color in the latest gameplay video

Of course he doesn't look bad. But he doesn't look like The White Wolf. My point is not to make him look good, but to make him look like a true white wolf (as mentioned in the games and books). And remember that travelers and strangers recognized him because of his "white as milk" hair.

It looks good to me as is, grey,silver white whatever.. I think if they made it bright white, it would look stupid and unreal.
I doubt Geralt shampoos his hair all the time, would you? I doubt it, just use your imagination a little, it only makes sense.
Besides, I bet you will have a mod for it, so why trip? ;)

I think what C0bR may mean is that white hair interferes with the lighting. Features that are too white, or too black, interfere with the range of the scene, and at worst they end up clipping. This is especially troublesome on LCD displays, where the worst have a range of 6 stops, and the best maybe 10. So Geralt's hair has to be not too white, and Yen's has to be not too black, or there would be other, worse artifacts to draw complaints.

Last edited:
White hair isn't.

Comparing it to white A4 (which is also not 'white', in screen space, but rather a mix of pale desaturated values) it is significantly darker.
It is *roughly* "newsprint" in tone and hue.

For a convincing representation it might need to be set slightly darker to permit it to react to lighting adequately. Similarly sheep, clouds etc aren't and shouldn't be "white", this is a misrepresentation and often clouds and sky have a very similar tone (as easily seen when photographing "dramatic skies" in B&W without filtration... often they are far less "dramatic" than they appear ~ use a Red filter to artificially darken the sky tone and they look like we expect again).

I'd prefer a White Wolf, with realistic white hair and albino skin, which is quite different from expectations from most.

If it would be great Geralt's hair was spectacular white, but personally, having my eyesight fixed in a spot of white immaculate on a monitor for hours could cause me severe headaches

To play devil's advocate, the way he's described in the short book The Witcher is as having hair "almost completely white", so there's some wiggle-room for designers. But I'm not a lore upholder to begin with. Either way doesn't matter to me. I will say though that in the gameplay videos when he's out in light his hair does look very white.

I want to start my own "keep Geralt out of water" petition now right away...

Just kidding, but the simple reality is that the CDPR's Witcher games are nothing more than "fan fiction" (while still being awesome). They will never truly reflect the lore of the books to 100% completion. We have to deal with it. Making a petition for one such thing is imo rather pointless. There are actually a lot of deviations from the books, bigger and smaller. It's still CDPR's baby so let them do it how they want to do it.

White hair isn't.

Comparing it to white A4 (which is also not 'white', in screen space, but rather a mix of pale desaturated values) it is significantly darker.
It is *roughly* "newsprint" in tone and hue.

For a convincing representation it might need to be set slightly darker to permit it to react to lighting adequately. Similarly sheep, clouds etc aren't and shouldn't be "white", this is a misrepresentation and often clouds and sky have a very similar tone (as easily seen when photographing "dramatic skies" in B&W without filtration... often they are far less "dramatic" than they appear ~ use a Red filter to artificially darken the sky tone and they look like we expect again).

I'd prefer a White Wolf, with realistic white hair and albino skin, which is quite different from expectations from most.

^ This. Though, to get too technical about it, Geralt isn't albino. Albinism is hereditary and present from birth. Vitiligo is the disorder that causes loss of pigment in skin and hair. It can be induced by chemical, hormonal, or immune system insult, which covers the way in which Geralt acquired it.

Michael Jackson was probably its most famous victim. In the old days, vitiligo was often confused with leprosy, resulting in persecution.

The books and games make continual references to a real world that is much like the Baltic in the time of the Northern Crusades and to a number of scientific anachronisms. If knowledge of the real world informs how some of us interpret Geralt's character, then you can choose not to participate rather than disparage those who do.

Top Bottom