Who are you gonna roleplay as in Cyberpunk?

+
One thing I really like to do in RPGs (after creating a character fitting into the world) is roleplaying as other video game/tv show/book characters.
So one idea I have for CP2077 is roleplaying as Kiryu Kazuma (from the Yakuza series): Being a strong and good guy with principles, just stumbling into big complex conspiracies and solving them with common sense and/or bare fists, but without killing anyone, that could be fun in Night City.
Especially since you can really simulate Kiryu's superhuman strength with the right cyber enhancements. (And hopefully his white suit/red shirt combo or even dragon tatoo.)

So, do you do similar things and have any fun ideas?

Shorter version / TL;DR: I prefer to keep it in-lore and humble (no 'snowflake'), my char likely has a brief (given the age) cop and corpo background and decides to move to Night City with a clean slate for better opportunities compared to the potential dead end they think they would've reached in that other city or place they come from. Due to the background, they will likely look favorably upon certain corporations and maybe (parts?) of city police as relatable colleagues and at least not look actively for trouble or have an anti-attitude unless provoked by the other side or given the circumstances of jobs they can't refuse, or don't want to refuse.

Slightly longer: While you specifically mention portraying other characters from other settings, this post might be a bit seamless and picking up other topics on the side.

I usually like to keep it "in-lore" with character ideas or backgrounds. For me it is the most fun and not tugging at immersion.

Before we got solid information about the game protagonist and rough plot in 2018 and onwards, (the way I recall it) many assumed you'd probably be able to pick a faction and role or job more freely. My initial idea was to play a cop or corpo, as those are the most interesting roles for such a setting in my eyes or from my preferences.

With you being likely unable to "join" any factions in a remotely formal way, and surely not NCPD nor the big corpo factions, but being able to pick a corpo background, I think I'll roll with that unless the game actually gives me an option to establish good ties with NCPD, or at least certain units of NCPD (coughcoughMAXTACcoughcough). Even if I was able to portray a formal or loose cop due to opportunities provided in the game, a later DLC or a mod, I think I'd like to keep it "humble" with my character concept.

As the main goal and dev statements itself proclaim, I think the base game will be less about super heroes or super hero protagonists. You likely won't be super special V, just someone trying to look after themselves or make a (little?) name for themselves. In that sense, for example as cop, I would've rather aimed at an approach of "You are just one out of millions in this city and try to get by", opposed to, I dunno, trying to be Judge Dredd on steroids.

That is the most fun for me in such stories, being more like an average Joe who gets either by and / or raises up the social ladder a bit or a lot. I also found that in online RP settings (DayZ, ARMA, whatever) rising to the top through gameplay and interactions was way more rewarding and felt more "earned" plus organic than just trying to portray special roles from the get go.

---------------------

A bit more concrete:

As I like to add a bit of background or "fill it" for simple immersion's sake, I think my main character will definitely have a corporate background from another place would've done some things already so it fits into the main narrative, too, perhaps spending limited time as "beat cop" in that other city before going the corpo route. They eventually felt it was a dead end and heard that Night City allows a big jump ahead, with more risk involved, so it was an opportunistic move to move on to NC with barely any or no ties opposed to the eventual dead end elsewhere. No dramatic story where they had to flee to Night City due to big drama, just an opportunistic move, a gamble, with a possible clean slate.

Omar Little 2.0

I really dig that!

Shorter version / TL;DR: I prefer to keep it in-lore and humble (no 'snowflake'), my char likely has a brief (given the age) cop and corpo background and decides to move to Night City with a clean slate for better opportunities compared to the potential dead end they think they would've reached in that other city or place they come from.

I like roleplaying inside the lore, too. But what I meant, was explicitly roleplaying crossover style. (Just like when you were a kid and imagined playing Mario levels with Sonic.)

I wish I could RP the each of the Roles. Buy Media Role DLC, you could play some Media dude. Buy Corp DLC, you could play some Corp dude etc.

T-800. This one's easy. Flattop cut, leather jacket, dark shade sunglases, Hasta la vista, baby! - THE solo

Hadn't thought of that, but it's intriguing!

I wish I could RP the each of the Roles. Buy Media Role DLC, you could play some Media dude. Buy Corp DLC, you could play some Corp dude etc.

I hope they won't be doing DLC that way, it wouldn't be their style. But I'd really dig something like "Night City Stories", small DLCs where you roleplay in a given position (like Media) and it's a short story playing from a different perspective than Vs.

Morgan Blackhand is a legend because he could bring the mark in alive. That takes serious skills and preparation.
Adam Jensen, the ghost head of security - nobody sees him as he goes through all the terminals.

Out of three possible choices - Corpo, Nomad, Street kid - I'll go with Corpo first.

I hope they won't be doing DLC that way, it wouldn't be their style. But I'd really dig something like "Night City Stories", small DLCs where you roleplay in a given position (like Media) and it's a short story playing from a different perspective than Vs.

I wouldn't mind / favor it if they later partially open up factions for side content and let you "technically join". Doesn't have to be a huge major plot for each faction you can sign up for (but would also be appreciated if so), but a bit of leeway in that area would probably please many people.

I want to make a fairly stealthy efficient melee character with some hacking/sniper rifle skills.
Something like Genji from Overwatch, but cyberpunkified!

Hey, how about roleplaying as Silverhand/Reeves, who has himself as a cyber-ghost companion...

S1: "You're breathtaking!"
S2: "No, you're breathtaking!"
S1: "I'm not breathtaking, you're breathtaking!"
S2: "You're more breathtaking then me!"
Random enemy scratches head with his gun in utter confusion...

Come to think of it, it would be a funny easter egg, if we could customize V to look like Keanu Reeves and triggering Silverhand to give a teasing comment like:

"Oh come on, you're not that breathtaking... yet!"
or
"You know, it takes more then just looks to become breathtaking."
One thing I really like to do in RPGs (after creating a character fitting into the world) is roleplaying as other video game/tv show/book characters.
...honestly, I would like to roleplay as a female version of Michael Westen, from Burn Notice. Sadly the vast variety of Michael's different persona's (and the excessive crafting too) probably won't be possible in the game.

But I at least will get me a nice muscle car...

Top Bottom