Who did you give Alvin to?

+
This was a hard decision for me, but eventually I settled with Triss. I tried Shani too, but just found myself loading the game and regretting the choice. First of all, I'd like to say something about Triss. As a powerful sorcereress, I think she would be involved in politics regardless of her choice. Although I believe she wants that position in society which gives her an influential edge with important people. Let's take Geralt as an example. He kills monsters, solves problems and hates meddling in politics (he hated that banquet in ch.3). Where does he find himself in ch. 5?
Right in King Foltest's chambers, taking on quests and playing poker with the king himself!
So, Triss made herself (as Geralt by being a witcher) known in society through her power as a sorceress. No wonder she uses that position in her advantage. Politics probably hardened her a bit, but that doesn't mean that she doesn't have feelings or that she wouldn't be a sufficient mother to Alvin. I think she would love Alvin as much as Shani. She can also teach him the ways of magic, which is very important because of his uncontrollable powers. What would Shani do if Alvin got very excited and accidentally popped himself into space? She'd probably come running to Triss, begging her to locate him. About that conversation with Triss and the mirror person, she told him that she promised not to reveal anything to him in exchange for information. I also felt a trust issue about that, but I don't think that she would hide anything crucial from Geralt. I apologise for this to all who chose Shani, but in contrast to Triss, she is a bit boring and all too "normal" for Geralt. (and she is slightly annoying) Until the Alvin situation she is very nice, but at that moment she reveals a more bitter and edgy personality. The sentence " Everyone knows she can't have children of her own and you gave her Alvin?! (or something like that)" really put off my perspective of Shani. So... Triss yay!

I gave him to Triss twice (and haven't given to Shani). Reasoning: she might be better suited to bring out/down his power. Shani.... well I suppose she is nice an' all, but but just not my type, I suppose. But they both have very good cards. Thing is I don't like either decision because I'm deeply rooted for Yennefer and Ciri. I.e. a great fan of the books.

SibirianCat said:
Thing is I don't like either decision because I'm deeply rooted for Yennefer and Ciri. I.e. a great fan of the books.
I always give him to Triss both because she's a more pragmatic choice and because I really like her as a character. I am also a fan of the books, but I started reading them after I played the game, so I am not as attached to Yennefer and Ciri as I might be otherwise. I think that they are the right combination for Geralt, though. Its canon. Of course, so is the fact that Triss is both a friend to and a problem for all of them... The game certainly gets that right.

I gave Triss the boy so that he could learn to control his magical powers, but now I am regretting it because he won't get nurture and love.

I chose Triss because Alvin needs magical schooling. For me, it didn't make sense to give "The Source" to a medic.

I've played it both ways, more than once. While I agree the sensible thing to do is give Alvin to Triss, I think the more compassionate thing to do is give Alvin to Shani. The kid's been through a lot and deserves a mother figure who is devoted to him; Shani does that, while Triss keeps courtesan's hours and drives him to frustration with studies. And giving him to Triss doesn't result in Alvin actually learning anything important. (It's too big a spoiler and too long an explanation; give Alvin to Triss and then play Neutral to find out).

I first chose Shani because of the issue with Triss talking to the girl from the "lodge." She witheld so much from Geralt. I really liked the simplicity of Shani.After that, I have chosen Triss because of her being the better teacher of Alvin for both the Order-favoring Geralt and the neutral. It was difficult for her to trust Geralt. It took about an hour of going in and out of Triss' house before she finally accepted Geralt.For TW2, since I heard that Shani won't be in it, I ended up having Triss take him.Perhaps, I'll use Shani for my Squirrel-favoring Geralt when I replay TW1 and TW2.

JMBush said:
I first chose Shani because of the issue with Triss talking to the girl from the "lodge." She witheld so much from Geralt. I really liked the simplicity of Shani.
I chose Shani because of those reasons. She's at least honest to you, not plotting any major conspiracies behind your back.
JMBush said:
For TW2, since I heard that Shani won't be in it, I ended up having Triss take him.
INSANE as this may sound- I might actually go for some sort of 'faithful' path in the sequel. Might be a 'waste' of potential love interests- but I'll cling on to the hope that she'll return at some point in some form.

HazelRah said:
HazelRah said:
For TW2, since I heard that Shani won't be in it, I ended up having Triss take him.

INSANE as this may sound- I might actually go for some sort of 'faithful' path in the sequel. Might be a 'waste' of potential love interests- but I'll cling on to the hope that she'll return at some point in some form.

Wow!

HazelRah said:
That's cool. If the third Witcher will be reliant on the other two (consequence-wise), I will also be faithful during a future playthrough of the series. I recall Triss scanning his memories in the first game and seeing his conquests and commenting on them. No wonder she didn't trust him immediately (if he chose her).(Somewhat off-topic) It would be great if real people knew that cheating has consequences. I mean, "Duh."

Having never read the books and having the vaguest background from all characters since starting the game recently, I decided to give the kid to Shani. Honestly I was all for Triss until her talking in the mirror and being shady about it. I didn't believe she wanted the kid for any other reason than to use him while Shani seemed to have a genuine interest in him. I haven't played a second time yet.

When I first played TW1, I couldn't believe Geralt, this tough, no-nonsense witcher, was so thoroughly pu$$y whipped by Triss and Shani. That was just annoying! I wanted an option to tell both of them to stuff their emotional blackmail BS, and stomp off to Kaer Morehn with Alvin. It was nothing new for the witchers to take in orphan kids.

From a battle strategy view, I pick Triss if my witcher is mainly melee fighter, or I pick Shani if my witcher is mainly a magic caster. This is because during the end game run when you are fighting your way up through ice mountains, either Triss of Shani will appear to help you fight. Shani just gets in the way if you are a melee witcher, but she is decent tank if you are a caster. Triss is a range fighter so she stays out of your way, so you can either melee or range attack with Triss.

Squigette said:
When I first played TW1, I couldn't believe Geralt, this tough, no-nonsense witcher, was so thoroughly pu$$y whipped by Triss and Shani. That was just annoying! I wanted an option to tell both of them to stuff their emotional blackmail BS, and stomp off to Kaer Morehn with Alvin. It was nothing new for the witchers to take in orphan kids.
If you read the books, though, Geralt is surprisingly deferential to Yennefer, so that aspect of his character was actually established by Sapkowski, not by CDPR. I hated the way Triss said things like, "Wipe that frown off your face" -- she could have conveyed the same message in a less disrespectful way -- but that IS the way Yennefer treated Geralt.

In my first playthrough I give Alvin to Triss for a very practical reason:
--- I wanted to stay with Triss.

Do you picture yourself telling to your girlfriend:
You know, Alvin, the kid you want keep? ...
Well, I give him to my ex. I think she will take better care of him.

Just think about it give me the chills.

I opted for Triss. I was undecided at first. Alvin knew Shani, but since Alvin was a Source, Triss would have been better suited to help him. However, Shani actually pushed me into choosing Triss because she mentioned that most sorceresses can't have children. When she said that, I realized that Triss made the most sense since Shani could have her own child with someone else. If I paired a sterile Witcher with a sterile sorceress, nobody was deprived of that opportunity. Having now read the books, I know that Triss was the right one since she already had this experience before with Ciri.

I went with Shani. I only played the Shani/Squirrel option. I figured the little guy needed a decent mother and Shani was the best choice. Triss was too much of the politician/schemer. I felt she did love Geralt, but was too tangled in her court life to be free enough to have a full relationship with either Geralt or Alvin. I haven't read the books.

The first time I played I chose Triss, because I felt that Alvin needed someone who was knowledgeable in the ways of magic. Also I was more scared of Triss getting pissed off at me than Shani.
After playing the game multiple times I still don't know which choice I prefer.

I do think that the flashback scene when Geralt chose Shani is more beautiful. Seeing them both walk by the waterside (If I'm right) is just cute to see, because they make such an unusual couple.

Top Bottom