Who is Gaunter 'O Dimm, and is he even more Powerful than Ciri? A thread to discuss this! SPOILER ALERT!

+
What's the link between Marlene and Gaunter? I honestly don't remember thinking that he was the beggar. Did I miss something?
Several things :
- The in-joke with spoons (for some reason, Gaunter O'dimm has a thing with spoon : he breaks a spoon when he makes a deal with Geralt, he put a spoon in the drunk's eye). The curse includes spoons, and the beggar Marlene spoke about broke a spoon before uttering his curse.
- The typical irony of the curse, which perfectly matches Gaunter's wicked sense of humour.
- Clearest and most definitive hint : Marlene said the guy was "some kind of mirror seller". That's the dead-giveaway.

We basically know nothing about him, we can just say that he is a very powerful Demon (since there doesn't exit a "Devil" in the Witcher universe). ]

I don't think he's a demon. The black dog and cat are demons and he's not from where they are from.

There might be demons from different planes and in that case he might be considered a demon, but he is not one of the demon types mentioned by the game.

Finally, I tried looking but where was it unequivocally stated that there was no devil in the WItcher universe?

I don't think he's a demon. The black dog and cat are demons and he's not from where they are from.

There might be demons from different planes and in that case he might be considered a demon, but he is not one of the demon types mentioned by the game.

Finally, I tried looking but where was it unequivocally stated that there was no devil in the WItcher universe?

Well, after looking for myself again! i might be wrong about that Devil thing now. But still, we have no real proof of a "Devil" in the Witcher !

Well, after looking for myself again! i might be wrong about that Devil thing now. But still, we have no real proof of a "Devil" in the Witcher !

But isn't there some "ultimate evil"? I thought there was a "hell" and it had a ruler. I know there is an afterlife based on what Ciri does after Geralt and Yen die. Plus what happens in Sword of Destiny.

So if there is an afterlife that implies there would be a good and bad place, AKA heaven and hell. And Gunther might be the ruler of the bad place.

But isn't there some "ultimate evil"? I thought there was a "hell" and it had a ruler. I know there is an afterlife based on what Ciri does after Geralt and Yen die. Plus what happens in Sword of Destiny.

So if there is an afterlife that implies there would be a good and bad place, AKA heaven and hell. And Gunther might be the ruler of the bad place.

Hm, good point! But do you that The Witcher is so religious that it takes the Heaven and Hell topic from our Real world?

Religion does play an important rule in The Witcher - in Toussaint, you have people praising the Prophet Majoran (is it the same name in the English version?), in Velen they worship the three-faced goddess, and in the earlier games there are references to other religions. Also, you have that weird religious group worshipping the flames (forgot their name). And you have a lot of mythological and religious stuff that's been imported from European mythology/religion into the books and then into the games. So why not have some kind of hell? I think it makes sense :)

Several things :
- The in-joke with spoons (for some reason, Gaunter O'dimm has a thing with spoon : he breaks a spoon when he makes a deal with Geralt, he put a spoon in the drunk's eye). The curse includes spoons, and the beggar Marlene spoke about broke a spoon before uttering his curse.
- The typical irony of the curse, which perfectly matches Gaunter's wicked sense of humour.
- Clearest and most definitive hint : Marlene said the guy was "some kind of mirror seller". That's the dead-giveaway.

Also, the main theme from HoS is being played while Geralt is telling her story to Barnabas-Basil.

https://youtu.be/AOmXlDJaez4?t=715

Ha, i never noticed that. It is almost too obvious. Sometimes you don't see the Trees in the woods :D
So she could be another victim of gaunter. Yeah that would really Fit to him.
Nice Detail i have to say.

Last edited:
Religion does play an important rule in The Witcher - in Toussaint, you have people praising the Prophet Majoran (is it the same name in the English version?)

I do not see Majoran mentioned in the English translation, perhaps it is Prophet Lebioda there instead ?

Religion does play an important rule in The Witcher - in Toussaint, you have people praising the Prophet Majoran (is it the same name in the English version?), in Velen they worship the three-faced goddess, and in the earlier games there are references to other religions. Also, you have that weird religious group worshipping the flames (forgot their name). And you have a lot of mythological and religious stuff that's been imported from European mythology/religion into the books and then into the games. So why not have some kind of hell? I think it makes sense :)

That's true! I know!

But what i meant is, if they also take our Religious ideas into the Witcher with that Heaven or Hell thing and everything!
(Since i am someone who hates Religion, i never really care about that tbh, especially in games)
They say often the word Devil, when Gaunter is nearby but, it doesn't seem like Gaunter O'dimm is connected to any Religion in the Witcher!

I do not see Majoran mentioned in the English translation, perhaps it is Prophet Lebioda there instead ?
No idea what he's called in English... the guy you help to build a statue for in Toussaint :) In German, he's called Majoran which is actually quite funny because that's a herb used for flavoring dishes :) Everytime someone praises him, I crack up "OMG they have a prophet called after a herb" xD

No idea what he's called in English... the guy you help to build a statue for in Toussaint :) In German, he's called Majoran which is actually quite funny because that's a herb used for flavoring dishes :) Everytime someone praises him, I crack up "OMG they have a prophet called after a herb" xD

Same ! :D

That's true! I know!

But what i meant is, if they also take our Religious ideas into the Witcher with that Heaven or Hell thing and everything!
(Since i am someone who hates Religion, i never really care about that tbh, especially in games)
They say often the word Devil, when Gaunter is nearby but, it doesn't seem like Gaunter O'dimm is connected to any Religion in the Witcher!
I think Gaunter is outside of any religion present in the Witcherverse... at least I always had the impression that he's his own master and that he doesn't care much for rules because he makes them himself. But he doesn't seem to be connected to any religion. Still, he could be the equivalent to "our" devil *hm*

I think Gaunter is outside of any religion present in the Witcherverse... at least I always had the impression that he's his own master and that he doesn't care much for rules because he makes them himself. But he doesn't seem to be connected to any religion. Still, he could be the equivalent to "our" devil *hm*

Excatly! Well a Devil that has makes his own Rules, and can't be connected to anything!

Well...that is indeed a scary Character!

No idea what he's called in English... the guy you help to build a statue for in Toussaint :)

It is Lebioda then, as Majoran is not even mentioned in English, while you can indeed help building a statue for Lebioda who is also frequently talked about by NPCs.

Excatly! Well a Devil that has makes his own Rules, and can't be connected to anything!

Well...that is indeed a scary Character!
He is. I thought he was scarier than the Wild Hunt even though Eredin and his elves looked scarier due to their armour. But that was just posing. Gaunter on the other hand... he looks so harmless and talks in a soft voice so you can easily believe that he can't be that bad a guy while in fact he's worse than the Hunt. The Hunt can be defeated. Eredin stays dead once you've beaten him. Gaunter? He'll be back one day because he's only been banished but not been destroyed.

---------- Updated at 10:08 AM ----------

It is Lebioda then, as Majoran is not even mentioned in English, while you can indeed help building a statue for Lebioda who is also frequently talked about by NPCs.
So that's settled, then :) Sounds a lot more dignified than Majoran, the herb :D

Translation of names. Oh the cringe.

"Prophet Majoran" = "Prophet Lebioda"
In Velen they actually worship the crones.
In Skellige they worship Freya, who's virgin, mother and crone (three faced godess)
Worshippers of Fire: Well, the Cult of the Eternal Fire. And the weirdos at Devil's Leap.

The game's societies also have ideas about afterlife:

- Skelligers think that they'll sit in some feast hall in the afterlife. They will also join their dead king there.
- The reason why wraiths exist is that they have unfinished business in this world and thus cannot go to "the afterlife".

If I keep refering to Iblis, "Shaytan", "Shaitan", "Devil", I do not mean "our devil". I mean a malevolent, very powerful entity of the Jinn species.
Who's name can oddly be abbreviated as "G.O.D.", by the way.

Food for thought.

He is. I thought he was scarier than the Wild Hunt even though Eredin and his elves looked scarier due to their armour. But that was just posing. Gaunter on the other hand... he looks so harmless and talks in a soft voice so you can easily believe that he can't be that bad a guy while in fact he's worse than the Hunt. The Hunt can be defeated. Eredin stays dead once you've beaten him. Gaunter? He'll be back one day because he's only been banished but not been destroyed.

Exactly, that is what i was trying to say!

Also Ciri can be defeated! (But well, surely not so easy).
But yeah Gaunter...i could imagine what he would say to Ciri if he would met her:
"Ah...the child of the elder blood...Cirilla, you are truly powerful...the elves told you that you the most powerful thing in the Universe i guess...but i am sorry, that's not true child! You are still a mortal being as everyone else! Only your Elder-Blood saves you from not getting killed but...for how long?"

Top Bottom