Who Was Your Favourite Character And Why? (Potential Spoilers)

+

Who was your favourite character?

• Total voters
Tough one because of the inbalance between content.

Judy and Panam get huge screen time, Vic, Misty, Mama Welles etc are much more limited.

Judy definitely for me, her arc and character are just stellar....but she did also get a lot more time than most others.

I fully agree but I don't like the idea of your stereotypical "lady". Like a housewife or model or some bull.
"Housewife or model"? Is there even a tangential relation!? :D

With lady I meant: High class, smooth double talker, graceful, mysterious, and a bit dangerous... like Yennefer, or, as I said, Evelyn. Especially in a setting like cyberpunk, you could do much with that kind of love interest.

I mean, Panam and Judy are nice and all... rugged, rebellious,... their only distinction is, one is the family type and the other is socially awkward and brainy. Non of them are woman, though, they are girls.

I dunno, maybe I'm to old in reality to still go for that type. ;)

I fully agree but I don't like the idea of your stereotypical "lady". Like a housewife or model or some bull.
Which is why the game should give you multiple options to choose from. To satisfy different tastes.

Also, I don't agree with your assessment of Rachel. She's not a housewife or a model. She comes from a corporate background, which makes her a businesswoman.

A romance option with a corporate background makes perfect sense lore wise.

Panam, though Judy, Claire and Goro are close seconds.

They are the only characters that are even remotely fleshed out in game. Jackie you know for maybe 2 hours of play time, if that, so you never really get close to him or get to know him.

Panam is fully fleshed out, with a mainline quest and a side quest, and even an ending quest. You really get to know her, though then they gimped getting to know her by limiting her romance to straight males only, so who knows why other then "we need a straight woman, Panam will work."

Judy you get to know pretty well through parts of a couple of main quests, and her side quest. Not as much as Panam, but she's pretty fleshed out, and she actually has some impact on the ending so that's good.

Claire and Goro are fleshed out pretty well, but seem to be regulated to secondary characters that have almost zero impact on the story at large in the long run.

Johnny is fleshed out, but you never know what Johnny you're going to get. It's not Keanu's fault he's just given a bunch of lines each day and told to read them a certain way, and then they're placed where ever the devs feel they kind of work. But one scene you get idiot Johnny, the next you get cool Johnny, the next you're back to idiot Johnny, and the next you're too Terrorist Johnny, with no rhyme or reason why.

The rest of the characters, while they are called side missions, are pretty much in Jackie realm. You get an hour or two of play time with them, a lot of it is in a car ride which you're totally silent for, and then you go on a mission for them alone, only to come back and get paid. They're not really fleshed out, and I feel closer to Dakota the fixer then I do to any of the rest.

I agree. Because of what I know now I plan to space out Judy's quest-line so I can spread it across a playthrough instead of rushing through it. I also did that research because I knew if I had to finish the game and she wasn't brought back into the picture it would borderline ruin my experience. I don't know about you, but I thought her mission right before the romance scene in the cabin was one of the sweetest/cutest bits of writing for a romance I had ever experienced. I was actually smiling like an idiot that whole time before V had to go and abruptly end it. No mission in the game for me has come close to inciting the same level of emotion I felt during that whole sequence.
Thank you for sharing your opinion, I can say that I feel same way about that last mission and nothing in writing comes close to being so captivating. The build up and the story that takes you there has been nothing short of an emotional rollercoaster that will not leave my memory and has kept me desperate for more after. There is no loot or gameplay that will ever be as rewarding, the only thing that can truly give it more value is more of such moments and a true relationship after. I keep saying that any scraps of more interaction with Judy for me would get me to replay all in a heartbeat, any more quests or lines of dialogue or text messages. Please always help remind CDPR where their strengths lie so they don't fall into a generic grind.

Looking at this again, it accents something I feel is a total missed opportunity in terms of companions. Imagine Jackie going through the game with you, doing Jackie things (ahem, like blocking my view when I'm trying to sneak). And then imagine Judy throwing out quickhacks and maybe being a healer type. And Panam hanging back and sniping fools. Like Fallout where you can pick and choose companions to accompany you. Cyberpunk feels different when you're doing missions with characters. When Jackie follows you around during the intro bits it makes the game feel more alive, more dynamic, even if he actually doesn't really do much aside from offer companionship, mistimed yells, (and coordinated takedowns. holy damn can you imagine that as a mechanic?) I know it's almost like asking the game to be a totally different kind of game, but the more I think about it the more I realize that mechanic could've enhanced the experience so much.

EDIT: I'm so sorry! You're talking about Jackie and I went on an unrelated tanget. Your points just sparked that thought process.
Post automatically merged:

Ha yea, that would of been amazing. I really wish they would keep to the whole RPG aspect of the game as previously planned. There really isn't many proper RPG games available, instead if they don't improve things it will remain like every other game out there. Nothing but a mere shooter title. No offence to those who enjoy shooters, they are okay if done right but there are a huge amount of shooter titles already and so little RPG games with the ability for romance and bonding with characters.

In fact the only game I know that has those RPG elements that is scheduled to release in the next few years is Baldur's Gate 3.

We are forever seeing the same style of games coming out, I really was hoping that Cyberpunk 2077 would be different.

"Housewife or model"? Is there even a tangential relation!? :D

With lady I meant: High class, smooth double talker, graceful, mysterious, and a bit dangerous... like Yennefer, or, as I said, Evelyn. Especially in a setting like cyberpunk, you could do much with that kind of love interest.

I mean, Panam and Judy are nice and all... rugged, rebellious,... their only distinction is, one is the family type and the other is socially awkward and brainy. Non of them are woman, though, they are girls.

I dunno, maybe I'm to old in reality to still go for that type. ;)
I was really thinking Evelyn was gonna end up as a bigger character, maybe even a romance option. Until she didn't...

Ha yea, that would of been amazing. I really wish they would keep to the whole RPG aspect of the game as previously planned. There really isn't many proper RPG games available, instead if they don't improve things it will remain like every other game out there. Nothing but a mere shooter title. No offence to those who enjoy shooters, they are okay if done right but there are a huge amount of shooter titles already and so little RPG games with the ability for romance and bonding with characters.

In fact the only game I know that has those RPG elements that is scheduled to release in the next few years is Baldur's Gate 3.

We are forever seeing the same style of games coming out, I really was hoping that Cyberpunk 2077 would be different.
An absolute phenomenal point you make here. Cyberpunk feels like it's trying to be a few things at once, and because of this doesn't really nail any of them. It's the same argument I make when talking about games with pve/pvp components. Those games are always in Flux because both have to be worked on, and more times than not one gets left behind in favor of the other (former destiny pve player if you couldn't tell lol) due to either time, resources, and or popularity.

Cyberpunk couldve and imo should've leaned HARD into the rpg aspect. Take those fallout/skyrim/Witcher/mass effect/watch dogs (yes, watch dogs)/deus ex influences and run like hell with them. You're correct, the fps that focuses on gunplay market has enough, and cyberpunk can't contend with how gunplay feels in those games. Very very few ppl I know personally were excited because its a "cool looking fps with great gunplay," they were excited for a lengthy RPG with a hopefully good story made by the same company that made the Witcher.

^^ Yep - they were excited by choice / consequence / romance and play styles.

You just need to see how many people were looking up romance options before launch to get an idea of the market that was excited most about this game.

It was drilled into people that it was single player - and still cracked 13 million sales in two weeks.

They didn't just miss an oppurtunity to make a one of a kind spectacular game - they missed an opportunity to shake the foundations of the industry that continues to believe there is no money and future in single player RPG experiences.

You just need to see how many people were looking up romance options before launch to get an idea of the market that was excited most about this game.

It was drilled into people that it was single player - and still cracked 13 million sales in two weeks.

They didn't just miss an oppurtunity to make a one of a kind spectacular game - they missed an opportunity to shake the foundations of the industry that continues to believe there is no money and future in single player RPG experiences.
Such a shame that so many big developers don't see this trend. Especially ones that have made successful and beloved RPG's before! Biggest example of this imo is Bio-Ware, (although that might be EA's fault but still) they made these beloved RPG's that were beyond successful! With heavy RPG elements across the board. Why they felt the need to dumb it down and more or less change the genre of the games to "try and reach a broader audience" is crazy to me. Call Of Duty doesn't try and add RPG mechanics to their games, Minecraft isn't trying to add deep storytelling idk why so many RPG developers try to change their already winning formula. Maybe RPG's will never outsell Multiplayer FPS's or Open World Action Adventure games like GTA V, but they sell damn well regardless and probably have the most dedicated fans out of all the genres.

Your last paragraph for me is the single most true and sad point I've seen articulated as to why cyberpunk is disappointing, and my biggest issue with it that I was searching for the right words to express. Thank you for that.

Evelyn.
She's the main reason why I want CDPR to update their game and make our choice matter. :sad:

Or maybe Judy.
But how could I forget Rogue & Johnny ?
Or Panam & Mitch
Or Jackie & Misty ?
My bros River, Vik and Goro ?

Well, there's a lot of great characters in this game !
They all deserve more time and countless DLCs.

Honestly, when I first started playing I didn't think I'd end up enjoying Johnny as much as I actually do. I love how he interacts with V throughout the game once he starts warming up to them, I love the little sidequests and moments they can share and open up and his story arc is good enough for me to love this dumb rockerboy more than I think I should.

Two bros,chilling in the hot tub, five feet apart cause they’re not gay

Miss V gets my vote. Honestly, Cherami Leigh's vocal performance just does it for me, the dry humor and deadpan delivery of most of the dialogue with the added flair of sarcasm is just,,, I love it.

Panam and Judy are both tied for me in second place. Being able to ride off into the sunset with both of them on my side was goddamn satisfying.​

Top Bottom